Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Getting f-ed over at work

Old 05-06-18, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Getting f-ed over at work

Im sorry this a bit of rant but writing it out at least releases some of the frustration

So I been in this company close to two years. Last year a co-worker who I will call Johnny left the company, he was offered a big raise, signing bonus and re-certification of his security clearance.

He was handling a brand new account and it was just a disaster. I was asked to help out a couple of weekends to help sort it out all. Another co-worker who I will call Ermest (he started a few months after me) said he wanted to help out. I said sure if you want to work extra hours. Long story short we succeeded in getting the account into a stable position.

A few weeks later my boss chose Ermest to handle this account permanently. It sucked a bit because I was the one leading the project when Johnny left but Ermest workload at the time was less than mine so that could have been the reason he got the account.

Now my company was recently absorbed by a bigger company and some new roles were created for everyone in my group of 14 to apply. These were essentially promotions. I knew my chances were slim but I applied anyways. The first round of new jobs came in, I interviewed but the jobs were given to the people with more seniority. Then the second round comes in and I was hesitant to apply because I heard through the grapevines that they already had people in mind. I did anyways because everyone said "there is no loss in trying" As suspected the people that had been pre-selected it got it.

Now going back to Johnny he hated his new job and right after he got his certification paid up by his new company he jumped ship and was re-hired by my manager. So he was away for only 5 months

With some people moving to their new roles one big account became available. Ermest and another co-worker Bert (who had moved to one of the new roles) told me, you need to go after this account, otherwise Johnny would try to go after it and it just wouldn't be fair since he left the company

I decided to not campaign for it. My logic been I been I was rejected a few times already and maybe if I didn't fight for it, then it wouldn't hurt when I didn't get it.
So lo and behold this account goes to Johnny, and as opposed to what I thought it still sucks. And it sucks even more because of the original 14 people that were in the group when I started only me and another lady are exactly where we started. It also sucks because I took a big pay cut and job demotion when I moved to Florida.

Now Johnny is not a bad guy, he is really nice and he guided me when I started it, but he is a shark. Just a few weeks after he got back he was applying for the promotions. And I been told by a few people (and I also started to notice) that he spends half the day playing on his phone, making personal calls or just talking to everyone in the office

I talked to my manager about taking a bigger role and he told me there is another new account coming but Ermest has already shown interest in it.

Anyways its a jungle out there in the workforce. I am really glad I have a job which is the most important thing but like my co-worker Bert said "you have to fight for what you want, and don't care for anybody else"

Sorry for the long post, but do you guys have any similar work stories
Old 05-06-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Getting f-ed over at work

Bert gave good advice there at the end.
Old 05-06-18, 11:42 AM
Admin-Thanos

Re: Getting f-ed over at work

I had to change the thread title. No curse words in thread titles.
Old 05-06-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have any work stories, but a guy with a stupid name like Ermest probably needs all the career help he can get, since he never gets laid.
Old 05-06-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I applied for a position, and was turned down because I'm not an engineer. The company was unable to fill the position for a year because engineers wanted more money than the company was willing to pay, so the company hired a non-engineer. He left last week after ten months.

Guess who the company wants to take over those projects, for no additional pay, as well as continuing with his own work?
Old 05-06-18, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post

With some people moving to their new roles one big account became available. Ermest and another co-worker Bert (who had moved to one of the new roles) told me, you need to go after this account, otherwise Johnny would try to go after it and it just wouldn't be fair since he left the company

I decided to not campaign for it. My logic been I been I was rejected a few times already and maybe if I didn't fight for it, then it wouldn't hurt when I didn't get it. So lo and behold this account goes to Johnny, and as opposed to what I thought it still sucks. And it sucks even more because of the original 14 people that were in the group when I started only me and another lady are exactly where we started. It also sucks because I took a big pay cut and job demotion when I moved to Florida.

Moral of the story, always listen to Bert and Ermie.
Old 05-06-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Might as well change the thread title to “companies F over their hardworking, long term employees”. Sadly this happens at 90% of companies, hard working, employees get passed over for promotions to people in the “good ole boys” club.

I’ve been passed over for promotions in several jobs because I would have been tough to replace in my current position. As long as an employer can reasonably justify their choice, not much anyone can do about it.
Old 05-06-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here is the best advice I can give anyone in the workplace.

Do your job the best you can and always, and I mean always, toot your own horn or others will use it as a spittoon.

If you think that your good work alone will get you noticed and promoted you will always be disappointed.
Old 05-06-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Here is the best advice I can give anyone in the workplace.

Do your job the best you can and always, and I mean always, toot your own horn or others will use it as a spittoon.

If you think that your good work alone will get you noticed and promoted you will always be disappointed.
Good advice. Some employers even have a portion of their wage increases based on your self-appraisal.

Most don't take advantage of it.

The "jerks" do take advantage of it.

Guess who gets the raises. The promotions...yep, the jerk who wrote up a 1-page self-appraisal of stuff that most people do on the job already--but they don't do anything about it.

Modesty on the job...will get you shit. Sad but true.
Old 05-06-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use to work in the “print and mail” industry and that’s a brutal industry. Lots of back stabbing. Everybody knows everybody. Lots of jumping around between different company rivals.

It was my first real job straight out of college. But I’ll admit, it did toughen me up in terms of work ethic and working with customers.

Now I work for the state and I’m loving it. Less stress and they encourage career growth. While the annual pay is lower than the private sector, the work is easier and you’re working towards a pension.
Old 05-06-18, 07:51 PM

Re: Getting fucked over at work

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Bert gave good advice there at the end.
Yeah what Bert actually said was " Look in this life nobody is going to hand you anything. If you want something, you have to show your emotions for it. And forget about the rest, fuck it if it gets bloody"
The blood part been metaphorical i think

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I don't have any work stories, but a guy with a stupid name like Ermest probably needs all the career help he can get, since he never gets laid.
well that's not really his name, I just felt weird using his real name. But Ermest is a really hard working dude. He does work more hours than anybody in the group. He is divorced, he says " I thought I was going to be married all my life, but my wife did not feel the same way" After that he moved to Florida and ended up living with his sister and her family. I really feel for the guy he works hard and he basically had to start over in his 50s

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I applied for a position, and was turned down because I'm not an engineer. The company was unable to fill the position for a year because engineers wanted more money than the company was willing to pay, so the company hired a non-engineer. He left last week after ten months.

Guess who the company wants to take over those projects, for no additional pay, as well as continuing with his own work?
That sucks, they just want you to work for free basically. That was the problem with Bert too, he does not have the proper degree so for years he was paid less and they would not give him a promotion until recently that he was able to get a better role under a different manager.
Old 05-06-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Getting fucked over at work

well that's not really his name, I just felt weird using his real name.

But why did you choose that name? Is that even a real name? At first I thought you misspelled Ernest, but then you repeated it throughout your post. Is Ernest his real name? Because if so, you did a really poor job of changing his name to protect the innocent.
Old 05-06-18, 08:40 PM

I did a bad job at making an imaginary name...
Old 05-06-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bert and Earnie.

I assume “Johnny’s” real name is Elmo.
Old 05-06-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Bert and Earnie.

I assume “Johnny’s” real name is Elmo.
I don't think the OP is tickled by this revelation.
Old 05-06-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will never really know what the higher up people in your company really think about you.

I agree with the advice to set your sights on what you want and aggressively go after it without any worry of who or what may get tromped on in the process. Its up to your own character if you play dirty pool or not in the process but just know that most likely someone else is doing exactly that cause there is always a low morals low character shitwad in every company (at least one, usually many) It's an uphill battle to get ahead unless you know people.

I have a rare opportunity to work for people that value capability and integrity, so I have never had to resort to the lying cheating throwing co-workers under the bus to get ahead. I believe very few people work in a situation like I have these days.
Old 05-07-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like it's time for you to jump ship. There's always something better out there.
Old 05-07-18, 01:17 PM

yeah 3 employees and 2 managers have already jumped ship in the last few months with all the shuffling that my org has been going through
Old 05-07-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It worked for Johnny. Be like Johnny.
Old 05-07-18, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unfortunately work is a lot like life: Unfair treatment, backstabbing, political games. Maybe even worse than life because a large part of it is about money.

I've always been bad about blowing my own horn, but I also try not to let my job completely define who I am.
Old 05-08-18, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Success and promotions are more about your social game / how you're perceived than how hard you work - most of the time. A nice combination of hard work and social integration will go a long way. You're probably not going to change perceptions where you're at so it might be best to try and move on and start over.
Old 05-08-18, 09:35 AM

That's what I'm thinking, once they see you as this quiet non-ambitious guy, its harder for them to see something more. My plan is to train and get some more technical skills and then start looking into a job geared more into that area
Old 05-08-18, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It worked for Johnny. Be like Johnny.
Fuck Johnny. He turned his back on the company, used the new company to pay for his certification then gave them the middle finger too. Comes back here and reaches for the golden throne
Old 05-08-18, 10:05 AM

If the skills are that in demand that Johnny can jump ship and then come back 5 months later with no issue, you should start looking external. Leave and go get the money or position elsewhere. If you hate it, you too can try to return.
Old 05-08-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck Johnny. He turned his back on the company, used the new company to pay for his certification then gave them the middle finger too. Comes back here and reaches for the golden throne
Ok, then, just keep bitching about how the company has fucked you over, while also bitching about other people fucking over the company. It's clearly working for you.

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
If the skills are that in demand that Johnny can jump ship and then come back 5 months later with no issue, you should start looking external. Leave and go get the money or position elsewhere. If you hate it, you too can try to return.
exactly. In many industries, the way to advancement is not staying in the company, waiting for them to recognize how good you are and promote from within. The way to advancement is often jumping ship, lateral moves that allow you to climb the ladder. Johnny showed you how it's done, and all you can do is bitch at him because he fucked over the company? You'd make a great japanese salaryman.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.