Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Travel tip - throw everything out.

Old 04-29-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Travel tip - throw everything out.

My family thinks I'm nuts but I'm pretty sure I read this tip in one of the airline magazines. They look at me like I have three heads when I tell them what I do.

Any time I'm planning on taking a trip by plane, I go through my drawers and find the underwear with stretched out elastic, the shirts or pants that don't fit quite right or maybe have a small stain on them. I pack all that. I wear them one more time on the trip then throw them out instead of bringing them home. It saves on laundry when you get back. It clears room in the suitcase for the inevitable stuff you buy on a trip.

For this trip to Florida coming up this week I have 5 or 6 pairs of undies (because I used to be fat), a pair of pants, a pair of shorts, and 2 shirts I'll be tossing when I'm done. If there is a downside it's that the stuff probably could be donated if it was around here. I guess while I'm down there I can look for a donation center.

Has anyone else heard of this trip? Any other handy travel tips or luggage packing tips?
Old 04-29-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Travel tip - throw everything out.

I throw out a decent bit but I also usually only travel with a carry on - I just buy toiletries when I land, they usually cost about the same everywhere and I'm weird about toothbrushes.
Old 04-29-18, 08:37 AM

So, your advice to people going on vacation is to dress like a slob that can't afford to buy unstained clothes that fit them properly.
I'll pass on this advice, but hey, you be you.
Old 04-29-18, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my trips are shorties, but this one is a week and there are two of us, so we pack one big suitcase to check and one carry-on each. I have to bring a suit for a business meeting plus changes of clothes for golf and dinners. I have two or three sets of clothes for each day. I hate wearing clothes after I've golfed and sweat in them.

I have the TSA pre-check so I don't have to pull out all my toiletries but a lot of people I know buy when they get there then toss it before they come home so they don't have to screw around with it at the airport.
Old 04-29-18, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
So, your advice to people going on vacation is to dress like a slob that can't afford to buy unstained clothes that fit them properly.
I'll pass on this advice, but hey, you be you.
Aren't you a glass half empty kind of guy?

If the clothes are ripped or look slovenly I won't do it. But I have these shorts that I know there is a stain where I spilled food in my lap even though my wife says no one else can see it. I know it's there so out they go. In fact that is one of my wife's complaints, she says they are OK, but I know I probably won't wear them again.
Old 04-29-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I travel a lot. But no, I don't go that route. I recently bought new carry on's and a new small carry on gym bag.
Old 04-29-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If I have clothes that needs to be thrown out, I wouldn't wait for a trip. It would already be gone.
Old 04-29-18, 10:13 AM
Admin-Thanos

I get the concept, but I would probably throw the stuff out anyway without a trip planned, or just make room in the suitcase before the trip.
Old 04-29-18, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather not pollute someone's landfill with my garbage.

I have a large enough suitcase to bring back what I need to.
Old 04-29-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-29-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I do the same thing with skis. Those things are heavy! At the end of each day I just throw them away and hit the bars.
Old 04-29-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is a trip.
Old 04-29-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Your idea actually isn't bad, for those who travel infrequently. I've never heard this suggested before, but it could lighten the load considerably on the return trip home, especially if you're limiting yourself to only a carryon. I shall consider doing this on my next trip.
Old 04-29-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only travel with 1 backpack and 1 carry on. That's it. Any clothing i don't want I sell or throw out.
Old 04-29-18, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bring old clothes (among other things) to Cuba and give them away.

That said, to throw old clothes away in another part of your country or in another country is just... weird...

I can see signs starting to pop up in airports:

"Welcome to xxxxxxxxx, we're happy to see your smile, but we're not your garbage dump."

"Welcom to xxxxxx, we like tourist very much, but you throw away clothes penalty is death!"
Old 04-29-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Strange idea since people often want to look their best when on a trip or at least be the most comfortable.

This sort of reminded me of a pitch on Shark Tank. If I remember correctly, you rent clothes for your trip. You arrive at your hotel with stylish clothes all in your size. The idea is you only have to pack your essentials and you don't have to worry about all your clothes taking up so much space. You leave the rental clothes, and they are professionally cleaned and readied for the next person. I'll just stick to packing my own clothes.
Old 04-29-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's kind of weird. I have thrown away clothes while traveling, when the 'final rip' happened or a major spill/stain occurred and it wasn't worth bringing them home and trying to repair them.

I'm Precheck now but before I wouldn't bring toiletries that would have to be searched, I would just ask at the front desk, they usually have a small toothpaste they'll give you (or I'd buy a small one).

If anything, shipping your clothes and stuff may be a way to go.

I usually travel with just a carry on so I try to do it as lightly as possible.
Old 04-29-18, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I travel fairly regularly both for work as well as a few big vacation trips. For the most part, I prefer to wear what I find most comfortable and often prefer my own toiletries over what hotels have just so that I use what i'm used to. It usually isn't too difficult to pack those items, either with TSA Pre-Check so security isn't an issue or i'll just check a bag with my regular stuff.

But yeah, I think I toss out old clothes when I'm done with them, so no real point waiting for a trip to do it.
Old 04-29-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have done 11 days, 35K miles, in 4 countries, business wear, and managed with a carry-on and a backpack (small, normal sized one) ...

No need to bring clothes to throw out.
Old 04-29-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to fly with a carry on because I hate waiting at the carousels and I don't trust TSA not to make a mess of my stuff. If a trip is long, I just do laundry on it. No need to throw things away traveling--I do that at home.
Old 04-29-18, 08:21 PM

I keep a drawer set aside for the clothes that I consider unwearable in any public situation. These mostly have paint or other grease splotches on them. If I know I'm going to be cooking something that is likely to splash me, or I have some painting to do, I put on one of these shirts (and/or shorts), so as to not ruin another good piece of clothing. But I don't take any of these things on vacation to wear and then throw out.
Old 04-29-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't do this with clothes but do it with toiletries. I'll pack my toothbrush, but toss it before returning home. I'll buy a new one when I get back. Same with deodorant, shampoo, body wash, etc. I'll take my half empty bottles and toss them at the end of the week and just buy new shit when I get back.
Old 04-29-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the idea of cycling older underwear this way. Besides, that's what stinks the worst when you unpack when you get back. Don't think that used shorts and socks are really appropriate for donation anyhow.
Old 04-29-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I only travel with 1 backpack and 1 carry on. That's it. Any clothing i don't want I sell or throw out.
You sell your old clothes while on vacation? And who are you selling your stuff to?
Old 04-29-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can honestly say I've never heard of this travel tip before. Seems a little strange to me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.