Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

When oil change light comes on, how many more miles?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-28-18, 09:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

For those who have feature. Mine starts letting me know at 15%. So in time/mileage how long do I actually have before engine goes kablooey?
Old 04-28-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: When oil change light comes on, how many more miles?

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
For those who have feature. Mine starts letting me know at 15%. So in time/mileage how long do I actually have before engine goes kablooey?
It depends on driving conditions, how the engine is tuned oil used etc
. If your car is specd for conventional oil and you are mostly driving at highway speeds in cold weather then you can probably double the interval without any problems.

You can do an UOA to determine if the oil is still in good shape. Although if your car is under warranty then I wouldn't go beyond the manufacturer's recommended intervals.
Old 04-29-18, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It means your time is up and expect a piston to fly through your chest at any moment.
Old 04-29-18, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The recommended service levels are pretty conservative. You can easily exceed them without doing major damage. The caveat is having the right amount of oil. If it's dirty and you go another 1000 miles, with today's oils and engines you won't have a malfunction. Even the older engines could go for a very long time before the sludge got so bad the engine seized up. The key is keeping the warranty in place and timely changing of the oil will prolong engine life. Since changing oil is one of the few things a weekend warrior can still do, I change my own in all my cars. I change them within a week of the light coming on and get high mileage from all my cars. 243,000 out of my last Grand Am and it was the exhaust not the engine that made me replace it.
Old 04-29-18, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not that difficult to change your oil. Why push something like that?
Old 04-29-18, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
You could go tens of thousands of miles and years before “kablooey.” Even up to a couple of thousand miles over isn’t going to damage anything but why wait? It’s cheap maintenance plus the brakes, tires, lights etc. get a once over. Just get it done around the time it goes to zero.
Old 04-29-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
It's not that difficult to change your oil. Why push something like that?
Exactly. I usually call within a day or two of the alert showing up and get it in as soon as I can.
Old 04-29-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the light isn't tied to you're expected oil change date/miles...its a sensor indicating something awry with oil levels.
Old 04-29-18, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
the light isn't tied to you're expected oil change date/miles...its a sensor indicating something awry with oil levels.
not mine. it is specifically to indicate an oil change is needed...
Old 04-29-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, why put it off? If $80 is no big deal to eat one meal, your car's blood is a lot less.

Last edited by TomOpus; 04-29-18 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oil Changes cost $25-30 here in the LA area.

It's not expensive and takes maybe 30-45 minutes. Don't put it off. Find the nearest place that does them and get it out of the way so you don't have to think about it.
Old 04-29-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're the type that relies on lights to tell you when something needs to be done, you better just get it done.
Old 04-29-18, 02:06 PM

Pish. Today's cars are incredibly reliable. I put 100K miles on a Jeep Grand Cherokee (not the world's most reliable car) and changed the oil maybe 4 times. Check the level every month or so, top it up if needed, and when the oil looks black change it. Never had a tune-up either. Check the net to see how to turn the red light off if it bothers you.
Old 04-29-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Many cars are equipped with a service indicator light. Usually based on miles and months, as prescribed by the manufacturer.

There is also an oil light, usually an oil pressure light, not an oil level light though. Low oil level can lead to the oil light coming on, but it can also be caused by oil sludge which can really mess up your engine. If the oil light comes on, fill the oil accordingly and if the light goes away and don't hear any strange sounds then you are probably ok. But if the light doesn't go away or you hear weird engine noises then you should get it checked out. It could be as simple as a bad oil pressure sensor,if you are lucky.
Old 04-29-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Oil Changes cost $25-30 here in the LA area.

It's not expensive and takes maybe 30-45 minutes. Don't put it off. Find the nearest place that does them and get it out of the way so you don't have to think about it.
It depends on the car. If your car requires synthetic then I am pretty sure that it would cost more.
Old 04-29-18, 02:44 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
It depends on the car. If your car requires synthetic then I am pretty sure that it would cost more.
Yeah, my car takes synthetic. It's a bitch. I usually go a little longer than the reminder light indicates. I've always been fine. I think the warning light is based on miles driven, not some magical sensor in the oil pan or something.
Old 04-29-18, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Yeah, my car takes synthetic. It's a bitch. I usually go a little longer than the reminder light indicates. I've always been fine. I think the warning light is based on miles driven, not some magical sensor in the oil pan or something.
yeah, synthetic here too and that goes near $100 here, but it does take 15min if not less...

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-29-18 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-29-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The up charge for synthetic is a rip off. Right now you can buy a 5L jug of Mobil 1 synthetic for $11ar(standard price is $23 at Walmart). Jiffy lube charges $30 for regular, $80 for full synthetic. Wtf.
Old 04-29-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In my experience, all of Honda's service lights are overly cautious and conservative when they light up.
Old 04-29-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Weird. I haven't changed oil in over 3 years. #electric And shit, really - you believe the dudes at Jiffy Lube remember to reset that sensor for you? lol.
Old 04-29-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird. I haven't changed oil in over 3 years. #electric And shit, really - you believe the dudes at Jiffy Lube remember to reset that sensor for you? lol.
It should be fairly easy to reset. Instructions are in the manual or you can find it in a quick Google search
Old 04-29-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a fancy car that tells me when to change the oil.

However, I've noticed oil change intervals have increased. Common knowledge and most places tell you to do so every 3k miles. Most manuals have said 5k miles for some time. The 2014 vehicle I just bought last year indicates to do so every 7,500 miles.
Old 04-29-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to change the oil in my 2008 Chevy Malibu with conventional oil every 3000 miles. The manual for my new car, a 2017 Nissan Altima, says to change the oil every 5000 miles. I took it to the dealer for my first oil change and it was around $32 for a synthetic oil change. I'd rather just pay them that and have them change it since it's under warranty for 85,000 more miles and they supposedly do a 100 point inspection when they change the oil.
Old 04-29-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I used to change the oil in my 2008 Chevy Malibu with conventional oil every 3000 miles. The manual for my new car, a 2017 Nissan Altima, says to change the oil every 5000 miles. I took it to the dealer for my first oil change and it was around $32 for a synthetic oil change. I'd rather just pay them that and have them change it since it's under warranty for 85,000 more miles and they supposedly do a 100 point inspection when they change the oil.
Dang, $32 for synthetic oil change is cheap.

I bought my car in 2006 and it has 10k oil change interval. It does require synthetic though.
Old 04-30-18, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Dang, $32 for synthetic oil change is cheap.

I bought my car in 2006 and it has 10k oil change interval. It does require synthetic though.
I went back and checked to see how much I paid and it was $32.88. They used Mobil synthetic oil and just charged $9 for labor.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.