Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Home inspection tomorrow

Old 04-26-18, 06:26 PM

Home inspection tomorrow

I'm selling. House was built in 48. Let's all guess what the buyers inspector catches!

The soot in the breaker box from the main crossing 20' from my drop? It was given the ok before by an electrician ..

The dampness in the well dugout cubby or one of the crawlspaces? Again, the foundation guys have said "they are all like that."

Some unknown problem with the septic tank or field or weird pool code violations?

Or maybe just a drain plug not working and dripping faucet? Let's hope so, I've only $5k to fix things.

An anxious 48 hours, to be sure.
Old 04-26-18, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Home inspection tomorrow

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch View Post
I'm selling. House was built in 48. Let's all guess what the buyers inspector catches!

The soot in the breaker box from the main crossing 20' from my drop? It was given the ok before by an electrician ..

The dampness in the well dugout cubby or one of the crawlspaces? Again, the foundation guys have said "they are all like that."

Some unknown problem with the septic tank or field or weird pool code violations?

Or maybe just a drain plug not working and dripping faucet? Let's hope so, I've only $5k to fix things.

An anxious 48 hours, to be sure.
Good luck! $5k won't go far at all in fixing things, especially if your inspector is in collusion with local dealers and / or potential buyers of your home.

Buyers are so picky and finicky these days that you'll probably need to put $50k into it just to please them. With all of the "bringing things up to code" business (read: a fancy type of collusion between contractors and 'officials') you could be looking at a potential money sink.

If not, selling "as is" will probably mean selling to a realtor big loss over current market value on your house. Then, that realtor will just turn around and flip it, after getting all his discounts on fixing the place up.
Old 04-26-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just when you make your “sell” contract that you limit how much you are will to spend in “required” repairs.

I sold a house once and my own agent said I would have to agree to make any required repairs. I said that fine, up to $10,000. She told me I shouldn’t put a limit and I said BS. So she put it in.

The buyers inspector came in and said my house needed $25,000 of required repairs. I said no. The buyers agent said I can’t say no since I agreed tonsale price. I pointed to the contract where it said “up to $10,000”. She said “I didn’t see that”. Then literally went and talked to the inspector (we were all the house). After talking to him for a few minutes he came up to me and said “would you mind if I look around again, I need to double check a couple things”. I said “sure”. He walked the outside of the house for 5 min. When to his truck and came back with a “corrected” order of “$9,900.00” in required repairs. The buyers agent said “could we reopen negotiations on sale price”. I said no. Either stick with it or I keep the earnest money (or whatever that cash was). She huffed off and told me she would talk to my agent. They ended up buying at agreed price less the $9,900.00.

Its 100% BS and 100% of the negotiation. He can put anything or nothing. And find a way to justify it.
Old 04-26-18, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ask your realtor if you are required by law to fix everything on the list. Certain things yes but not everything. You can decline certain items. Of course the buyer can back out too.
Old 04-26-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IIR it’s about “Fanny May will require for loan approval”. Issue. If the buyer is paying cash it’s a moot/negotiation issue. But if they need a loan supposedly they will “require” certain repairs.
Old 04-26-18, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hopefully no mold, pest, dryrot or foundation issues!
Old 04-27-18, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
IIR it’s about “Fanny May will require for loan approval”. Issue. If the buyer is paying cash it’s a moot/negotiation issue. But if they need a loan supposedly they will “require” certain repairs.
If buyer gets a conventional loan, 20% down, house can sell as is. Government doesn't get involved. Otherwise house has to be up to code. Only code related repairs need to be done for government loan.

My house was built in 1950. The original owners lived here 49 years until they died. House was 50 years old and had never been on the market. Several things had never been upgraded. I got a conventional loan with 20% down and code violations were moot. They're lucky I came along. I negotiated with them and eventually upgraded everything in my own time. Still use the in counter stove from 1960s that came with house.

One thing Fannie Mae seems to be a stickler about is porches. I know you have to have railings on both the left and right side of steps. There must be something else. Driving around older neighborhoods I've noticed most houses have replaced the original front porch with newer wooden porches that resemble decks.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-27-18 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-27-18, 07:22 AM

Yeah, they are a 95% conventional preapproved, not FHA or VA, so at least there's that.

My anxiety list, in order, is foundation/water, septic, mold, pests. Maybe electrical on that list also because of the power surge. If it's just "outlet wired wrong" or "leaking drain" stuff then it's a home run.

3pm-6pmET today.

I'll get a decent chunk of change form the sale, due to equity, but I'm cash credit poor right now from all the painting/bathroom/kitchen remodels, etc.

It will almost certainly all work out, but clearing the inspection and then their loan will get some major anxiety items off my plate and let me ramp down to concentrate on other issues.
Old 04-27-18, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
Ask your realtor if you are required by law to fix everything on the list. Certain things yes but not everything. You can decline certain items. Of course the buyer can back out too.
Yeah. "I'll take $5k off the price" is a strategy I'd like to turn to. I got a full price offer, which is a home run in my book. They want $5k help in closing (so, not actually full price) but it's all close enough that I'm happy. It's the $10k and $20k repairs that I'm worried about.
Old 04-27-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah yes, the good 'ol home inspection - one of the most meaningless parts about buying/selling a home.
Old 04-27-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was selling my house, the home inspection report was complete nonsense. We had lived in the house for seven years without noticing any of the issues cited. One of the issues was the need to REGRADE THE FRONT YARD near the foundation. No way.

After some back and forth and a threat from the buyer to walk and me to keep the earnest money, I called the buyer myself and had a man to man with him. I said that I wanted to give him a safe and clean house, but asking for a perfect one was not fair. He relented on quite a bit and I gave a little too and in the end we were both generally happy. Honestly if we kept going through the agents the sale would have fell through I think, but talking to each other personalized the transaction and got it done.
Old 04-27-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

In my experience everything is negotiable. I let them pick a few of the most important things and go from there.

Last house i sold, the buyers(first time owners) wanted a new furnace(it was old), new back door(old one was rotting) and a handful of little things repaired. I offered the door and some of the little shit. There was nothing wrong with the furnace so I held firm on that one. They went for it, and everything went smoothly.
Old 04-27-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I sold my house recently (2017), the inspector found a piddly little $5 item that had been there since before I owned the house for 20 years. I fixed it an hour after he left and I texted him pictures (yes, house was perfect even though it was 45+ years old). He spent about 3 hours going through the house determined to find something.

Those of you that have inspectors "find stuff" you don't agree with, maybe they are right? I am not sure, haven't met your inspector. It is possible to sell a perfect house, I know I just did it.

I used an inspector to also buy a house recently and he missed stuff, like expensive stuff. I had to spend a $1000 to fix the irrigation system the week after I moved in. The irrigation system wasn't on his standard list of items (as in *I* never asked him to check it) so he never looked at it.

BUT, I doubt the seller would have made any adjustments anyway, so I can't be that mad. I bought at an already reduced price for quick sale, so it was what it was, just not as great of a deal as I originally thought. I just did an inspection to make sure there were no structural or foundation issues. I was only worried about really big items.

I do not think there are any hard lines when it comes to inspectors. Some are good some are bad, some make claims for repairs that aren't needed, some don't. The industry leaves a lot up to personal interpretation. Find an honest inspector (I have met 2).

I know my dad almost bought a house with a defective structure. The previous owners were lucky the roof never fell in. But they had that same attitude, the roof has been fine and we have lived here for 5 years, your inspector is full of crap.
The inspector then called the county and had the county send out an inspector to verify. The county inspector agreed and it now became a legal issue to fix the structural problem before the house could be sold (was like a $20,000 repair).

This process is a huge YMMV
Old 04-28-18, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My current home was only 16 years old when I bought it. Newest house I ever owned
The inspector found shit. But ever since we moved we had to repair the irrigation system, both air conditioning units have given up, big leak on the roof that had to be replaced. Both washer and dryer broke, garage doors springs and rollers broke. Pool water was apparently toxic and had to be emptied and scrubbed.
Old 04-28-18, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping this was part of the Alan Smithee thread.
Old 04-28-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

So how’d it go?
Old 04-28-18, 10:38 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles

If you live in a hot market, especially like Los Angeles, the inspection is practically meaningless. It's evolved from "leverage" to "hey buyer, this is what you can expect to deal with." Our last house we sold had so many buyers waiting in-line that the only thing I addressed in the laundry list of items was fixing a latch on a gate. We only had to throw in the refrigerator - which we had planned to do all along anyway, it just wasn't on the list of included items with the home - so the buyer felt like they were actually getting something and we still got above asking price.

On the plus side, we discovered the most thorough, badass home inspector. This guy ran a video feed down the sewer line all the way down to the street to see if roots were in the pipes. In addition, he photographed everything, made a 20 page 8.5 x 14" laundry list covering practically every inch of the house and another 20 pages of photos. We were impressed, because he was a far cry from the inspectors we've had in the past where it felt there was an agenda to only negotiate a lower overall price paid for the house.

I wouldn't sweat it. And unless you're absolutely desperate to sell, if they want it bad enough you shouldn't have to acquiesce anything. Good luck.
Old 04-28-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As a seller, one can always hire an inspector before putting your house on the market. They might catch something that your handyman or electrician might overlook. For $500 or so, you will have the peace of mind that there is nothing major and you could take care of the minor stuff or let the minor stuff be part of the negotiations. Of course, if they find something major, legally and ethically, you will need to disclose it on your listing.
Old 04-28-18, 02:33 PM

No word yet. My resistors father is in the hospital, so maybe that's why. Or there was nothing wrong. Or there was so much wrong that...
Old 05-01-18, 05:00 PM

Finally!

*) Some GFI's are not grounded. No shit. Indiana code allows for that, as long as there's a sticker.
*) Two outlets need to be replaced with GFI's.
*) Rotted door jam needs replaced.
*) Sump needs a new battery.
*) Some minor concrete repairs outside.
and ...

*) Some discoloration on the underside of the roof in one small area. MAYBE some mold. Maybe.

Mold folks already arranged to come tomorrow and electrician on Thursday. I'm not having ground wires run, that's crazy. And I'm not ripping off the roof to replace the plywood. Lets hope that issue is a small one.

Oh, and some flashing/caulk around one of the chimneys. Trivial.
Old 05-01-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Not bad. Do they do termite inspection in your state?
Old 05-02-18, 02:20 PM

$900 for the mold, which was the most serious issue by far, IMO.

The inspector flagged live carpenter ants in the bait traps around the house. The buyer didn't request anything associated with it. Weird.

I had no idea about the mold or the ants; the previous owners put in the traps 10 years ago.

My wife is worried about the electrical. She thinks they want us to rewire the house with modern wiring. I think they just want the house up to code ... which is 2-prongs are ok and GFI's don't need to be grounded. We're talking to the realtor tonight.
Old 05-02-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My inspector missed black mold during his $700 review of my dream purchase. That was fun.
Old 05-02-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean, carpenter ants in traps "around the house"? Indoor or outdoor?

We have termites in the yard. The whole state does. But they aren't eating our house.
Old 05-02-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When I sold my last home the inspector found a big long list of things to the tune of $10k that needed to be fixed -- new electrical panel, chimney repairs, etc. My response: "Screw 'em. It's a 60-year-old home." To play fair I knocked the price down by $2k and wrapped up the deal. Good thing the market was hot at the time, and looking back I probably could've even knocked a little less of the price and still sold it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.