Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

The Golden State Killer was captured!

Old 04-25-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Golden State Killer was captured!

May this guy rot in hell. Four decades of anguish for the victims.
Old 04-25-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: The Golden State Killer was captured!

I do not remember "The Golden State Killer" but I was very young when most of this shit happened.But yeah let the fucker burn.

Moved to Auburn with my family in 1976.

Penny Ryan, 48, said she nearly dropped her coffee when she saw news of the arrest. She ran out of her house before making her way from Rocklin to DeAngelo’s home. Growing up in The Pocket area of Sacramento, Ryan called the East Area Rapist her childhood “boogeyman.”

“The whole neighborhood was so scared,” she said. “My dad bought a gun and loaded it every night before we went to bed.”

Her father kept the gun under his pillow, she said, and was once accidentally shot in the back when her younger brother jumped on the bed and the gun discharged. Ryan’s father survived.

“All the Ted Bundys and Charles Mansons weren’t as scary as him, because he never got caught,” Ryan said. “To find out he was only 15 minutes away from where I lived is really scary.”

DeAngelo was fired from Auburn’s police force in 1979 after he shoplifted a can of dog repellent and a hammer from a Sacramento drug store, according to archives of the Auburn Journal. In 1967, the Journal reported, DeAngelo returned home from serving in the U.S. Navy in North Vietnam.

Investigators believe the East Area Rapist went out night after night, targeting multiple houses within a neighborhood to stoke fear among residents. Targets were often single women living in one-story homes. His victims spanned the state.

From 1976 to 1978, the suspect developed one of his most sadistic signatures, authorities said.

If the home he chose for his crime had a couple living inside, he would incapacitate the man first, binding him with strips of towels or shoelaces. He would then balance a stack of dishes from the kitchen on the male victim’s back and warn the couple that, if a plate broke, he would kill both the man and the woman. He would then rape the woman.

From May 1976 to 1977, the East Area Rapist terrorized Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights, Sacramento, Carmichael and Orangevale. In June and July of 1978, attacks were reported in Davis and Modesto before the spree moved on to the Bay Area and continued from 1978 to 1979.

In 1986, the suspect killed victims in Southern California, police said, before disappearing for more than 30 years.
https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...2-12863488.php

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-25-18 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-25-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy fuck, this is amazing news! I haven't yet read up on it, but this is the cold case I have wanted to see solved most.
Old 04-25-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Patton Oswalt’s late wife might have had something to do with this getting solved after so many years, according to some outlets.
http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/25/patton...-state-killer/
Old 04-25-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The neat thing is Patton Oswalt's late wife posthumously released a book about the case a couple months ago.

Wonder if any of the information in the book helped to catch him.

EDIT: beat me to it by seconds.
Old 04-25-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are three recently-released books about the case, but I hadn't yet bought them because they were overpriced. I do have three previous books about this guy, who is more memorably known as the EAR-ONS killer.

Here's a creepy message he left on the answering machine of one of his rape victims in the late-'70s:
Old 04-25-18, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't it kind of rare for someone to have an answering machine in the late 70's?
Old 04-25-18, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was a cop for six years and was raping women while he was serving the public. His three different monikers weren't tied together to be the same person until DNA in the early 90's. He also had to have been there in person at a community safety meeting when one man said that he wouldn't allow his wife to be raped while he was home with her to not long after becomes his victims. I am glad they found out who this guy is and that he is alive to at least pay for it to some tiny degree.
Old 04-25-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Wasn't it kind of rare for someone to have an answering machine in the late 70's?
I don't know, but I believe the recording is from 1978.
Old 04-25-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is fantastic that people never give up on these cases. I'd never heard of this killer, but so glad justice will be served.
Old 04-26-18, 12:36 AM

Glad they finally caught this guy, even though it's years after the fact. At least he have to finally pay for his crimes - even though he's getting on in years.

Not surprised that he was once an LE officer. A lot of these people are very entitled, and feel (in many cases correctly) that they're above the law. I wonder if anyone that worked with this guy knew - or at least suspected - what he was doing at the time, and didn't turn him in because of the fact that he was a fellow officer. If this was the case, I wouldn't be surprised.

Correct. However, I remember watching re-runs of The Rockford Files TV series (1974 - 1980) a while back, and Rockford had an answering machine during that era:

Though, I agree it was unusual. Growing up in the '80's, I don't remember anyone having an answering machine in my neighborhood until around 1985.
Old 04-26-18, 03:28 AM

They were rare in the early '70s but getting much more common by the late '70s. People often had an "answering service," which was much more convenient than an answering machine. You could call from any phone to "get your messages" from a live person at the answering service. There was a monthly cost.

I barely remember this Golden State Killer, being just a wee one when this was big news in the '70s, but I'm glad the case was solved 40+ years on.

The next thing you know, the Black Dahlia case from 1947 will be solved, from DNA evidence or some such modern marvel of medicine. I wonder about that one still... that was a hideous, posed and wicked scene.
Old 04-26-18, 07:34 AM
Admin-Thanos

I never even heard of this dude until today.
Old 04-26-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Season 2 (still ongoing) of the Criminology podcast just began 2 months ago and also covers this case exclusively:

http://criminology.libsyn.com

Season 1 covered the Zodiac exhaustively.
Old 04-26-18, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

In Kiss Me Deadly the detective has an answering machine. That was 1955.
Old 04-26-18, 02:08 PM

Coast to Coast AM covered this case in great detail last night for two hours. Very sick, creepy stuff. They mentioned a detective in CA who spent the majority of his LE career trying to catch this guy. He always believed the Golden State Killer was a cop who had military training based on the type of knots he used on his victims along with the ability to break into houses undetected and track down his victims decades after the assaults.

Thankfully, the surviving victims and the families of those slain by this subhuman POS can rest a bit easier now.
Old 04-26-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First I heard of this case was almost 20 years ago, when Cold Case Files ran an episode about it. It's really worth watching:

Old 04-26-18, 08:30 PM

Just saw that his DNA was matched with a relative that had done one of those DNA test. That’s got to be a first, right?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/go...ort/index.html
Old 04-26-18, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is some of the best news of 2018. Glad they caught this sick twisted fuck. Now he deserves an anal raping of his own.
Old 04-26-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Just saw that his DNA was matched with a relative that had done one of those DNA test. That’s got to be a first, right?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/go...ort/index.html
Glad that this monster was finally caught. The privacy implications of this crack in the case are interesting though. I guess law enforcement has access to your DNA if you do one of those genealogy tests...
Old 04-27-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Glad that this monster was finally caught. The privacy implications of this crack in the case are interesting though. I guess law enforcement has access to your DNA if you do one of those genealogy tests...
Gotta read that terms of service before you go sending off blood to find distant relatives!

Sorry for my ignorance here but GSK is not Zodiac, correct?
Old 04-27-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Gotta read that terms of service before you go sending off blood to find distant relatives!

Sorry for my ignorance here but GSK is not Zodiac, correct?
No. GSK was also called Original Night Stalker, East Area Rapist, the East Bay Rapist, and the Diamond Knot Killer.

I want to know more, why he stopped back in the 70s, when he had a 3-4 year gap and why he stopped in the 80s for 30+ years.
Old 04-27-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
No doubt. The interesting thing to me is that law enforcement apparently had access to any DNA that had some level of familial match (if not the company's entire database). It wasn't even the criminal's DNA they were given access to. It was a presumably non-criminal relative who was not under suspicion directly.

I'm not making any judgments here - I just think it makes for a fascinating ethical debate.
Old 04-27-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad they finally caught the motherfucker, I remember seeing the documentary posted above about the Nightstaker. I also wonder what happened in those 30 years after his attacks did he just decided to live a quiet life ?
Old 04-27-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
No doubt. The interesting thing to me is that law enforcement apparently had access to any DNA that had some level of familial match (if not the company's entire database). It wasn't even the criminal's DNA they were given access to. It was a presumably non-criminal relative who was not under suspicion directly.

I'm not making any judgments here - I just think it makes for a fascinating ethical debate.
Aren't fingerprints the same thing? Once your prints are on record, then they can run matches. Of course, DNA is much more revealing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.