Reload this Page >

Ford to stop selling all but Mustangs, a crossover, and trucks in NA

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-25-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy shit.

Ford has announced it's only going to be selling the Mustang and a new crossover, along with it's truck line, in the North American market.

Responding to a shift consumer demand in favor of SUVs, crossovers and pickup trucks, Ford said it planned to trim its North American car portfolio to just two models: the sporty Mustang, which debuted 50 years ago this month, and a new compact crossover called Focus Active that will be introduced in 2019.

Ford “will not invest in next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America,” including the mid-size Fusion and full-size Taurus, the company said.

The auto maker has been under pressure from Wall Street investors to improve its product lineup and lift flagging profit margins. In 2017, the company’s pretax profit fell to US$8.4-billion from US$10.3-billion.

In March, Ford executives unveiled ambitious plans to shift the struggling auto maker’s product portfolio from passenger cars to SUVs, add more hybrid and pure electric vehicles, and reduce development and manufacturing costs – aimed at boosting profits and the auto maker’s share price.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...opular-sedans/
Old 04-25-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Ford to stop selling all but Mustangs, a crossover, and trucks in NA

Gas prices are rising. Eventually consumer tastes will shift back to a preference for small cars they can afford to drive.
Old 04-25-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how many jobs this will affect. The article did say they previously announced plans to shift to hybrids and electric vehicles. I guess the big question is will they make hybrids and electrics that people actually want to buy (like the Tesla or Prius) or will they make tiny goofball cars that make too many compromises in order to be effective?
Old 04-25-18, 08:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Goodbye Ford.
Old 04-25-18, 08:52 PM

Sounds like a terrible idea.

Especially when the 30k Tesla comes out. Ford will have nothing to compete with it and it will only get worse.
Old 04-25-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Narrowing its market down to the chode and soccer-mom demographics. Still enough of those around.
Old 04-25-18, 09:08 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
Gas prices are rising. Eventually consumer tastes will shift back to a preference for small cars they can afford to drive.
Yup and Ford will be years behind at that point. I had a Ford Focus hatchback for my last car and it got great mileage and was able to fit a lot of cargo which I need for my job. The transmission blew twice on me in 6 months and the second time they made me pay for the new transmission. That's when I checked out of Ford and went with a Honda Civic hatchback. I think with this money grab move and the gas prices on the rise, it's a recipe for disaster for Ford.
Old 04-25-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish they would bring back the Ranger. I loved that truck when I had one.
Old 04-25-18, 09:41 PM

So, they are pretty much making trucks. As they have been. Carry on, Ford!
Old 04-25-18, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I wish they would bring back the Ranger. I loved that truck when I had one.
I think I read somewhere that they were. I had a Ranger for years, great little truck.
Old 04-25-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They make the F150 right here in Kansas City. I used to live close to the factory. Good news, locally.
Old 04-25-18, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
So, they are pretty much making trucks. As they have been. Carry on, Ford!
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
I think I read somewhere that they were. I had a Ranger for years, great little truck.
Yep. It's already back for 2019. It was at the auto show in February.

Pissed me off, though. It was one of the main vehicles I wanted to see this year, but it was roped off. Seriously? It's a fucking Ranger.

I'm sure it's going to be ridiculously priced, so it probably doesn't matter, anyway.

Old 04-25-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought I read that 90 percent of their profits came from truck sales. If that is right I am surprised they didn't do this sooner.
Old 04-26-18, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good move.

They should have done this a long time ago.
Old 04-26-18, 07:01 AM
Admin-Thanos

I heard on my local morning news that Ford will still make the Focus sedan and hatchback.
Old 04-26-18, 07:06 AM

If that's true what exactly re they going to cut?

We're not making cars!

Except this crossover. That's all we're making.

And the Mustang. This crossover. The Mustang. And that's all we need to make.

And these trucks. But nothing else. The crossover, the Mustang, these trucks. And that's all we need to make, too! We won't make one other thing! We don't need-- WE NEED THIS FOCUS!

Old 04-26-18, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they are also poised to bring back the Bronco which may have a removable top like the Jeep Wrangler. If so this could be a blockbuster for Ford... They havent been found on the road dead yet...
Old 04-26-18, 07:33 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by story View Post
If that's true what exactly re they going to cut?

We're not making cars!

Except this crossover. That's all we're making.

And the Mustang. This crossover. The Mustang. And that's all we need to make.

And these trucks. But nothing else. The crossover, the Mustang, these trucks. And that's all we need to make, too! We won't make one other thing! We don't need-- WE NEED THIS FOCUS!

Spoiler:
I think they're getting out of the "lots of sedans" market. The Taurus, Fusion, Fiesta probably don't sell in the volume that the Focus does and if the volume is high on the Focus line, they are making money off of it. Oh, they also sell the Lincoln MKZ and Continental. Who buys those?
Old 04-26-18, 07:47 AM

It does make sense, financially. Their (profitable) truck sales have been subsidizing their (unprofitable) car sales for years. Since they won't be doing that anymore, their truck prices could drop (haha, yeah right!).
Old 04-26-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I'm not so sure about that, actually. Ford will continue to make SUVs, including crossovers, and this is where consumer tastes seem to lie for small, fuel-efficient cars. Is a CUV as fuel-efficient as a sedan of equal interior size? No, but it is close enough for consumers. This is where the market is moving. Only about 30% of passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2017 were cars and domestic producers are not competing well against imports in this market at all.

Based on 2017 sales numbers, only the Camry is even in the top 7. The RAV4 and Nissan Rogue outsell every car model in the U.S. market and the CRV outsells every car model except the Camry.

Of course, #1 overall is the Ford F-150. The highest-selling Ford car model, the Fusion, is all the way down in 19th with total sales well less than either the Escape or the Explorer. Additionally, sales of both the Explorer and Escape were up vs. 2016 (the Explorer by almost 10%) while Fusion sales dropped a whopping 21% vs. 2016.

Ford also seemed to have pretty much entirely given up on the consumer minivan market even before this announcement. I suspect their sales of Transits and Transit Connects are mostly commercial.
Old 04-26-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't surprise me. Their sedans haven't sold well over here in years. They do well in EU/UK though, and I'm sure they won't stop in those markets.
Old 04-26-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there still a mandate about fuel economy for car makers? Or has Trump quietly eliminated that? I thought they had to be getting to an average of 36 MPG by 2025? IDK how they can achieve this with a mostly SUV platform unless they expect to sell a shit ton of electric f150s which I just don't see..
Old 04-26-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I drive a Focus. Great little car, gets terrific gas mileage. I only use ethanol free fuel though.

Before the Focus I drove a Taurus for ten years. It was a nice comfy ride but more than one person needs and lousy mileage.

I plan to buy another Focus when this one craps out, so no skin off my nose if they dump everything else.
Old 04-26-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'm not so sure about that, actually. Ford will continue to make SUVs, including crossovers, and this is where consumer tastes seem to lie for small, fuel-efficient cars. Is a CUV as fuel-efficient as a sedan of equal interior size? No, but it is close enough for consumers. This is where the market is moving. Only about 30% of passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2017 were cars and domestic producers are not competing well against imports in this market at all.

Based on 2017 sales numbers, only the Camry is even in the top 7. The RAV4 and Nissan Rogue outsell every car model in the U.S. market and the CRV outsells every car model except the Camry.

Of course, #1 overall is the Ford F-150. The highest-selling Ford car model, the Fusion, is all the way down in 19th with total sales well less than either the Escape or the Explorer. Additionally, sales of both the Explorer and Escape were up vs. 2016 (the Explorer by almost 10%) while Fusion sales dropped a whopping 21% vs. 2016.

Ford also seemed to have pretty much entirely given up on the consumer minivan market even before this announcement. I suspect their sales of Transits and Transit Connects are mostly commercial.
Yeah, I was going to say that consumers sure as heck don't seem as sensitive to gas prices as people seem to assume. Crossover SUVs are huge right now.
Old 04-26-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Yep. It's already back for 2019. It was at the auto show in February.

Pissed me off, though. It was one of the main vehicles I wanted to see this year, but it was roped off. Seriously? It's a fucking Ranger.

I'm sure it's going to be ridiculously priced, so it probably doesn't matter, anyway.

Yep, can't wait. It's not going to be ridiculously priced either - about 24-25. They were already released in China a while ago too.

I love rangers, I buy them brand new and they last forever.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.