Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Van strikes 8-10 people in Toronto

Old 04-23-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Van strikes 8-10 people in Toronto

In an all too familiar sounding story, a rented van has driven down the sidewalk and struck between 8 and 10 people. There is at least 1 fatality. More likely more.

The driver is in custody. No word, at this point, on motive.

This is a few blocks from where my youngest son works.

I saw some footage of the police officer that arrested the suspect. It is mind boggling that he didn't shoot him, as the suspect was pointing a gun at him and moved toward him.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/at-lea...sted-1.3898118
Old 04-23-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Van strikes 8-10 people in Toronto

5 confirmed fatalities, guy was attempting suicide by cop at the end there but was pointing a cell phone apparently, not a gun. Sad, hope your son is alright!
Old 04-23-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just heard an update... Now saying 9 dead and 16 injured.

My son is fine, thanks. He ended up with the night off as most of the businesses in the area are closed for the investigation.
Old 04-23-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrible news, and yes, an all too familiar situation these days. Glad your son is ok andicus. I have some friends in Toronto, just trying to make sure they are ok right now. Hope the TO peeps that post here are ok too!
Old 04-23-18, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Glad to hear it, andicus.
Old 04-23-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My work office is in Toronto, but working from home and haven't been in for about 8 months.

I'm scheduled to go in this Friday. The office is right downtown, but this took place north of the downtown in North York - so the odds are very low that anyone from my office was immediately involved.
Old 04-23-18, 04:38 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad your son is safe, andicus. I'm hoping the same for anyone else you guys know. I know a few folks in Toronto, but none that I regularly keep in touch with. Hoping they're not affected, either.
Old 04-23-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This happened a couple of kms from where I live. We were wondering why the hell traffic was backing up on our small "no exit" side street. I guess they closed down Yonge St. from Finch to the 401, so huge amounts of traffic were diverted into our area and others.

Suspect is Alek Minassian, which must be Armenian. No idea if he is a Daesh extremist or just a lunatic.

Glad to hear your son is safe, andicus.

Old 04-23-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So sad to hear of this happening here today.

You always think it won't happen in your own backyard.

Thoughts with the victims and their families.
Old 04-23-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Terrible news, and yes, an all too familiar situation these days. Glad your son is ok andicus. I have some friends in Toronto, just trying to make sure they are ok right now. Hope the TO peeps that post here are ok too!
Heard from @LorenzoL, who's close to the incident but safe.
Old 04-23-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the well wishes for my son, all. Norm, glad to hear you and our other posters in the GTA are good, too.

As it turns out, it ended up around my son's place of work, and then it sounds like the driver was apprehended just past the street where he lives. His company has reported that all his coworkers are safe, too.

Really scary shit.

I just can not fathom injuring/killing innocent people. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 04-23-18, 08:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

Man, all these populated sidewalks are going to need concrete poles put in. This is so fucked up.
Old 04-23-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
As it turns out, it ended up around my son's place of work, and then it sounds like the driver was apprehended just past the street where he lives. His company has reported that all his coworkers are safe, too.
Glad to hear it, but at least 10 families are in mourning. So your son lives in one of the Emerald Park towers?

The latest rumour is that this guy was a so-called "incel", an involuntarily celibate man who hates happy couples. Someone found an internet posting of his in which he expressed admiration for that Eliot Rodger creep.
Old 04-23-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a senseless act. I live around 10km of where this happened. So far there’s 10 casualties so far.
Old 04-23-18, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Glad to hear it, but at least 10 families are in mourning. So your son lives in one of the Emerald Park towers?

The latest rumour is that this guy was a so-called "incel", an involuntarily celibate man who hates happy couples. Someone found an internet posting of his in which he expressed admiration for that Eliot Rodger creep.
Yeah, 10 families, and I'm sure many friends and certainly the people that witnessed this. It's heartbreaking.

I sure hope the stories of a child turn out to be false. People have mentioned a stroller and a car seat.

My son lives just off Sheppard, but a few blocks west of Yonge. I think I phrased that poorly. The scumbag was apprehended just past Sheppard.
Old 04-24-18, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...to-van-attack/

They also said the suspect had been involved in an online discussion about Elliot Rodger, the man accused of carrying out a 2014 shooting rampage, near Santa Barbara, California, that killed six people.

A Facebook post by a man with the same name and the same photo as the one that appears on the LinkedIn profile refers to the "Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger".

In a video posted before the attack, Rodger had ranted about women turning down his advances, turning him into an "incel" - an abbreviation for "involuntarily celibate".
Another red-pilled asshole?
Old 04-24-18, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Incel"? Who the fuck comes up with this shit? Sometimes I wish we didn't have the internet anymore.

Up to ten dead now.
Old 04-24-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So again this was all about not getting any tail?

You figure the next "drastic" step to take if you're so hard up for sex is getting a hooker.

Hopes this doesn't become a trend, or we're going to be seeing a lot of mass murdering nerds.
Old 04-24-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
"Incel"? Who the fuck comes up with this shit? Sometimes I wish we didn't have the internet anymore.
I tend to agree. In virtually every one of these events, wherever they happen -- and whether motivated by racism, religious extremism or, apparently, not realizing you can rent sex for an an hour or two to get your >ahem< head on straight (especially here in North York) -- the perpetrators have their already cloistered, diseased worldviews validated by internet. I believe events like this would still happen even without it, but with less frequency. Unlike any communication tool that preceded it, the web is the worst kind of enabler, especially for that sick subset of society that needs little convincing that the world is screwing them over.

I'm just glad this pathetic fuck didn't get what he wanted for himself in the end, although I'm not exactly pleased that he'll now spend the rest of his days getting sheltered and fed by us taxpayers while 25 families -- and realistically, many more -- are left with crushing personal devastation.

BTW, add my name to the list of those who had no idea what an "incel" was until yesterday. I get that people, especially men, take rejection hard, but I never knew an actual community existed to help cultivate their bitter delusions. Then again, the web validates just about anything to anyone if they click around long enough.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-24-18 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 09:09 AM

First victim identified.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ions-1.4632509
Old 04-24-18, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

I saw some footage of the police officer that arrested the suspect. It is mind boggling that he didn't shoot him, as the suspect was pointing a gun at him and moved toward him.
I just watched that video and it IS crazy. If this happened in the States that guy would've been put down, especially when he was jolting like he was going to "fire". Shows how training goes a long way.

Also crazy to see pedestrians just walking behind all that as it was going on.
Old 04-24-18, 09:31 AM

Things are different up here.

I'm betting that despite all his insidious intentions, this guy probably had no clue how to obtain a gun without consorting with "undesirables," so he figured a threatening gesture with his phone would end in suicide-by-cop. While we're not without our trigger-happy meatheads in blue up here, far fewer events like this end up with the perpetrator shot full of holes than happens in the U.S., much as we'd often love to see it in the heat of the moment.

Whenever I see these terrorists (which is exactly what they are) go down in a hail of bullets (which is exactly what they want), a part of me rages because no one will ever see any justice. For once now, we will, but as I mentioned earlier, the thought of this mental defective living off the taxpayer dime for the rest of his life makes me ill.

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Also crazy to see pedestrians just walking behind all that as it was going on.
I think there's an inherently Canadian mindset that tells us that as surprising as it might be to stumble upon a scene like that, the only armed individuals are the cop and (maybe) the perp, everyone else in the vicinity is probably not carrying weapons because we don't need to, and that a right-wing, armed-to-the-teeth militia isn't just around the corner waiting to march in solidarity.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-24-18 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 09:46 AM

Just in from the courthouse:

This Minassian clown has been charged with ten counts of first degree murder, and 13 counts of attempted murder. Odd, because there were 15 victims injured, but I'm sure that will get sorted out in time.
Old 04-24-18, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I just watched that video and it IS crazy. If this happened in the States that guy would've been put down, especially when he was jolting like he was going to "fire".
I would have been just fine with that.
Old 04-24-18, 10:45 AM

I believe the "Incels" group on reddit was banned recently. It's a very toxic philosophy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.