Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Yelp removed one of my reviews

Old 04-23-18, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yelp removed one of my reviews

yes it was a bad review.

First time it happened on my yelp account.At least the first time
Yelp has notified me about one of reviews being remove.I have about 80 reviews. About a even split between good and bad reviews.

Also it was with a company that advertises on yelp.In short we talked to him about doing a refinancing on a house years ago.He pulled my credit score without me asking.

I was burned once before by another broker.And after meeting him,I really did not feel comfortable with him.

And we went with another broker that was nicer and had fair rates.Well in the end he sends me A bill for the credit report for like $40 and threatened to "ding" my high credit score if I did not pay.So I pay,but think he went about it the wrong way.Saying he would report me for something I never asked for and the consultation was free and we never signed anything.Plus I had a very high credit rating.I think we dodge a bullet and was glad to pay the small fee.

So I'm still on the fence about Yelp.I think they overall have honest reviews.
But they are bias to business that have ads with them.Ryan Rivera does have a ad with them.Some business look like they have lots of fake reviews.

I heard of yelp would remove bad reviews if you pay/have a ad with them.
Do the customers have too much power or say in reviewing some stores?

Had to write this fast,edit latter.

Also Ryan Rivera just responds to the bad reviews on yelp.He wrote a hell of a long one to my review.But I never did read it.I do not like confrontation most of the time.I guess I should cut back on my reviews for now.

So I might make a thread about yelp and other online review sites latter.I know you can also do reviews with Google.Good or bad let me know what you think.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-24-18 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Yelp removed one of my reviews

Yelp is the internet review mafia, if you pay their protection money, they minimize your negative reviews. If you don't play ball, you're getting psotive reviews withheld and negative reviews boosted to the top. They're garbage.
Old 04-23-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is what it looks like to me doing more research on Yelp.I bet Google reviews are just as bad or maybe worse.

Lunch time.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-24-18 at 12:45 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, as a business owner I can tell you that advertising on their site DOESN'T enable you to remove bad reviews. They've reached out to my business and asked if I'd like to advertise on their site and I tell them no -- as long as there are any negative reviews, I have no interest in using my money to show them to others. They come back with something like "You can get your loyal customers to write many more positive ones", and sure that is probably the case, but it seems so petty and unseemly to solicit people for good reviews.
Sure, Yelp is helpful for restaurants, but when they branch out into every branch of customer service? You're inviting malcontents to air every grievance they have, legit or totally bonkers with no filter or veracity test. Any response the business puts out there looks defensive or bullying.
Personally, I'm not a fan.
Old 04-23-18, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be too worried. I don't think anyone reads Yelp reviews with any level of seriousness at this point.
Old 04-23-18, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Things may have changed, but around 5 years ago they would put certain reviews as "hidden" and you had to click through several hoops to find ALL the reviews.

I remember I wrote a lengthy take down of a local movie theater and gave them 1 star. It got buried on the "hidden" page. I didn't change a single word of my review, but changed it to 3 stars and it became their number one review. I didn't care about the number, my words spoke far more. The stupid theater contacted me and offered freebies if I'd take down my review.
Old 04-23-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I spent quite a bit of time putting in both positive and negative reviews on Yelp for quite a while only to find out that, over time, the negative reviews were completely removed with no reason or justification. One of the more scathing reviews was of a furniture store that advertised "ANY leather recliner 30% off" but when we went there it was "not that one.. not that one.. not that one.." and when I argued that it was a bait and switch they agreed to sell me one at the sales price but when they delivered it - it was the wrong one. It was one of the cheaper ones. Turns out when I filled out the paperwork they slyly put the part number for the cheaper one on the paperwork without my noticing and they said because I signed it - it was a done deal. So anyhow I put all that information on Yelp about what happened and they pulled that sucker within a day. It is a store that advertised on their site.
Old 04-23-18, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The whole concept of online reviews is dubious at this point and has become one of the dumber things about the internet, in my opinion. It's a model that is too rife with potential issues to be trustworthy, ranging from competitors anonymously posting negative reviews unchecked to overall ratings being affected by a company's advertising status to just the general issue of human nature leading people to scream louder about negative experiences than positive ones.

The only thing that is reasonably trustworthy, as far as I can tell, is something like the Better Business Bureau where there is an objective third-party arbiter to help address unsatisfactory service and companies are given the opportunity to reasonably rectify complaints.
Old 04-23-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends. If you have a nice enough number of reviews/friends AND photos of yourself or pics of your food/travels, etc., at said business - they ease off. If you have a bunch 1-2 sentence reviews, no pics, then your profile comes off like a fake profile. They want people active on their site not passive aggressive ones slamming a business.

As a Yelper it's easy to see which reviews are bullshit and which ones are not.
Old 04-23-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Come back when Wikipedia starts editing your entries. That's all we really care about here.
Old 04-23-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

joey that sucks that yelp did that to you but I have to ask what is up with all the capital A's?
Old 04-23-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
joey that sucks that yelp did that to you but I have to ask what is up with all the capital A's?
"A" is for Apple.
naa
Just the usual "A" bad grammar from me.

Might just use yelp now just for restaurants.I belong to a few local FB groups and been asking recommendations for lawn care,tree removal.I even found some good people to do work for me on craigslist.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-25-18 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Depends. If you have a nice enough number of reviews/friends AND photos of yourself or pics of your food/travels, etc., at said business - they ease off. If you have a bunch 1-2 sentence reviews, no pics, then your profile comes off like a fake profile. They want people active on their site not passive aggressive ones slamming a business.

As a Yelper it's easy to see which reviews are bullshit and which ones are not.
I agree. I still get a lot of useful information from yelp and amazon reviews. Itís super easy to parse the bullshit from the truth.
Old 04-23-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I agree. I still get a lot of useful information from yelp and amazon reviews. Itís super easy to parse the bullshit from the truth.
That's mostly true but the bullshit still feeds into the aggregate score. And it's not like Metacritic where at least everyone reviews everything. You could have a thousand customers who love you, maybe 20(?) write positive things and maybe one or two per year write a negative review. That score slowly creeps down to maybe and suddenly it looks like you're a mediocre business.

I haven't had that many negative reviews for my office (and I recently won a Best of Las Vegas award, so you know I must have some folks that like my practice), but those few negative reviews bug the shit out of me (and are present FOREVER). Things like a woman who showed up way late for a first appointment, was accommodated anyway, and then complained that the front office wasn't friendly enough to her, a woman who was mad we couldn't see her sick child until the next day (on a day we were busy and already booked up), people who are mad that they were asked for payment or proof of insurance. Really BS stuff. Still it all counts and doesn't take long for your rating to slide.

I'm not saying people don't have the right to review businesses, just that some malcontents really abuse that right to be vindictive assholes. Some of them have no qualms about negatively affecting a small family business for little or no reason, just feeding a passing whim. If you don't like an establishment, don't go there. Tell your friends about it if you want. If there was a major problem, call the BBB or even sue them. But this easy online smearing, that's total bullshit in my book and totally unnecessary.
Old 04-23-18, 06:58 PM
Suspended

I don’t look at the score I read the reviews. Negative reviews like you describe can easily be identified. Also easily overlooked are the super generality filled 5 star reviews. “Jim is a terrific guy. He took care of me and I’ll be back for more soon.” Could be a restaurant, a dry cleaner, or a mechanic. Super unhelpful bullshit fluff.
Old 04-23-18, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I totally get that. You're very mature and look at Yelp reviews responsibly and with fair objectivity. But I'm not convinced everyone does.

And I'm not exempt either. When considering a new restaurant, I'll scroll over ten positive restaurant reviews to read the one review to see if they found a roach or a thumb in their meal or something. I think that's just human nature.
Old 04-23-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite reviews are the obvious ones.

"I eat at this restaurant weekly, it's one of the best in town. This last time though, they forgot to give me water when I sat down, fuck them. Never again. No Stars."
Old 04-23-18, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I totally get that. You're very mature and look at Yelp reviews responsibly and with fair objectivity. But I'm not convinced everyone does.
Keep that in mind when you rake me over the coals about everything else.
Old 04-23-18, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

People use and trust Yelp?
Old 04-23-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Well, as a business owner I can tell you that advertising on their site DOESN'T enable you to remove bad reviews. They've reached out to my business and asked if I'd like to advertise on their site and I tell them no -- as long as there are any negative reviews, I have no interest in using my money to show them to others. They come back with something like "You can get your loyal customers to write many more positive ones", and sure that is probably the case, but it seems so petty and unseemly to solicit people for good reviews.
Sure, Yelp is helpful for restaurants, but when they branch out into every branch of customer service? You're inviting malcontents to air every grievance they have, legit or totally bonkers with no filter or veracity test. Any response the business puts out there looks defensive or bullying.
Personally, I'm not a fan.
How do you feel about patient satisfaction ratings? I had a patient a few weeks ago who had the worst medical care ever, according to him, and his biggest complaint was that the food didn't have enough salt and was too cold. I'm sure he dinged the hospital and his doctor on his survey, but what could they do? Bring him some salt? He was probably on a low sodium diet. Thank God it wasn't pureed or they'd have scored even worse! Yelp is about that rational. It's still helpful, but I've realized half the places I like are only 3.5 stars, often for bogus complaints.
Old 04-24-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I been looking over some of my past reviews from on yelp.About 50/50 on 1 star to 5 star ratings.
Most of the low ones from me go to franchise fast food places that are really bad compared to other locations.

And local restaurants that we like and smaller franchise food joints get the high ratings from me.

And the majority of my reviews are food related.Restaurants and grocery stores.But looking back I might to be to fast to give out a low rating without thinking about it longer.So I plan to take my time next time before giving a review out if I do more online reviews.

Like today I got a sandwich from MAX'S DELI that I hardy ever eat their.It was
okay sandwich but very small for the price.The local grocery store makes a better sandwich.But this place gets a lot of 5 star ratings,I might give it about 3 if I was still going to use yelp.

Not sure how good this tool is,but someone else start a thread on online restaurants review sites like yelp on city data forums.

https://www.fakespot.com/

And the email I received about yelp deleting my review.After rereading says I can post another review about the broker,but have to give more detail next time.

So I'm going to do another review but not give a 1 star this time and see what happens this time.But after doing some research,charging for a credit report is what some brokers do even if you do not use them.
But he came across as a dick to me by saying he is going to report me and get my credit scored lower if I do not pay him for about $35 for the credit report.I think a better broker would talk about charges and
fees upfront.I know I can be a prick too,at least that is what I hear from the wife once in awhile.

And my dealings with most other brokers,credit unions and realtors have been much more pleasant.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 04-24-18 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-24-18, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
How do you feel about patient satisfaction ratings? I had a patient a few weeks ago who had the worst medical care ever, according to him, and his biggest complaint was that the food didn't have enough salt and was too cold. I'm sure he dinged the hospital and his doctor on his survey, but what could they do? Bring him some salt? He was probably on a low sodium diet. Thank God it wasn't pureed or they'd have scored even worse! Yelp is about that rational. It's still helpful, but I've realized half the places I like are only 3.5 stars, often for bogus complaints.
My hospital is in the lowest 1% of HCAP scores. It's really disappointing since it's really a nice hospital. Basically about 70-75% of the time, people answer that they're "Always" treated with respect and that the doctors "Always" explain everything to them and answer all their questions. But because it's not like in the 80's, that's still lower than 95-99% of the hospitals nationally. And it doesn't matter if a patient perceives that one time one staff member didn't explain something completely to their liking, if it's not "Always", it all counts the same as if everybody ignored you and gave you the finger for two weeks. People in the South are much politer and respectful and agreeable. I think cultural differences like that can make a big difference in those satisfaction surveys. I think car dealerships do a similar thing, but they coach you and basically force you to answer "always" to every question or they guilt you into it. In hospitals, they're supposed to keep all that stuff a secret.

As far as my practice, I don't really deal with that stuff and it's never come back to me. I guess it's not a problem. As long as the insurance companies keep me on and my patients stick with me for over a decade or more and I'm still busy, everything is alright.

Still a negative review on Yelp or (even worse) on my practice's Facebook page can really suck. I've apparently had patients threaten writing a negative Yelp review if they don't get exactly what they want at that precise moment (usually a prescription refill or an appointment immediately regardless of how busy we are at that time). I understand that Yelp reviews can be a helpful tool for some consumers, but they really shouldn't be used like that to force a business into doing something against their wishes or company protocol.
Old 04-24-18, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
I been looking over some of my past reviews from on yelp.About 50/50 on 1 star to 5 star ratings.

And the majority of my reviews are food related.Restaurants and grocery stores.But looking back I might to be to fast to give out a low rating without thinking about it longer.So I plan to take my time next time before giving a review out if I do more online reviews.
That's kind of the thing. If you have a place that's always super, great. That's rare. Give that place a great review. But if there's an issue, for me it's not that the issue existed, it's what happened next. Did they address my concern? Did they fix the problem? Because that's what customer satisfaction should be about -- making sure that everything was perfect or making it so. For example, this past weekend the Mrs and I went to a hotel that we had been to once before by Zion NP in UT. This time we got the Honeymoon suite (for our anniversary). When we checked in, they informed us the room wasn't quite done with the renovations and needed some touch up paint. They gave us a 25% discount on the room. I thought that was very accommodating. Then we went to the room. It smelt of paint fumes but there were no screens on the windows so we couldn't open the windows without getting bugs in. There was no telephone, no towel racks, no water in the shower (that got fixed), no hot water in the tub (that didn't), the TV didn't work for live TV (only streaming). The heating/AC unit didn't work (that also got fixed). There were a LOT of issues with one room. I addressed my concerns and they fixed what they could and apologized for what they couldn't. They did their best and there was nothing that I found so terrible that I couldn't stay there. I could have killed them on a Yelp review by posting exactly what I just did here -- but to what end? I know this isn't typical for them, they just didn't have the room fully ready. It wasn't great, but things like that happen. They tried to make me happy and fix whatever problems they could. In the end, that's all any of us really have a right to expect.
Old 04-25-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
People use and trust Yelp?
Honestly asking, what's the replacement? When I'm in a new area or looking for a new restaurant, I almost always use Yelp, not to look at aggregate scores (though if it has a ton of reviews and is like one star, I probably won't look at it first) but to figure out if it's good for kids, what the food is like, etc.
Old 04-25-18, 12:30 PM
Suspended

Yeah, I definitely trust their “Good for kids” rating. Very helpful.