Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good deal?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you think we live in a society where everyone speaks to everyone as equals?
Yes
1.82%
No
56.36%
What are you high?
41.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good deal?

Old 04-22-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good dea

I blame Texas for fucking it up. They put yellow cheese on everything.
Old 04-22-18, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good dea

Jesus... Finally someone more deluded than I??? No, we obviously do not live in a society where we speak to each other as equals. Have you been under a rock your entire life?

And, absolutely NOT, $80 isn't a good deal on Mexican food. I think we have a rare consensus of forum opinion here. A good deal on authentic Mexican food is $8 a plate, and the rattier the hole-in-the-wall resturant, the better and more authentic the food tends to be. Yum! Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 local Mex resturants where I can get filled up and VERY satiated for < $10 and return home a happy camper. And this is in EXPENSIVE SoCal!

Either you're a spendthrift (or live in Manhattan where everything is 5x more expensive), clueless about the world, or putting us on. I'll go for the possibility that you're trying to ruffle a few feathers and hope that your Pollyanna complex doesn't rub off onto many others.
Old 04-22-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Either you're a spendthrift (or live in Manhattan where everything is 5x more expensive), clueless about the world, or putting us on. I'll go for the possibility that you're trying to ruffle a few feathers and hope that your Pollyanna complex doesn't rub off onto many others.
Old 04-22-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I think $10 for a mexican entree is absurd. It's a tortilla shell with beef and cheese then rolled or folded in one of two dozen ways to pad out a menu.
That’s the long and short of it. I LOVE Mexican Food but the fact is there’s just not the type of ingredients that would call for an expensive meal. My go-to order is a smothered burrito (and if I’m super hungry a relleno on the side) but all told it’s nothing more than a tortilla, beef, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole. There is nothing in these meals that would make the cost more than $15 tops.

Chips and salsa are always free at my local places and I’ll order a soda. I’d say my (pretty large) meals never cost more than $17 or $18.
Old 04-22-18, 06:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

Damn, this thread seems to have touched a nerve. Possible TOTY?
Old 04-22-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe he bought Guac out of season. That shit is expensive.
Old 04-22-18, 07:20 PM
Admin-Thanos

I think I'm falling in love with this thread.

Old 04-22-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Do you think we live in a society where everyone speaks to everyone as equals?

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
No. Take her to a Chucky Cheese and let her wipe for humanity.

But she is right about $80 for Mexican unless it’s for less then four people.
I'm still wondering about wiping for humanity. Sounds like what you'd do after a BAD mexican meal.
Old 04-22-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-22-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Even ignoring what "good Mexican" is to some of the snobbier eaters here (who always seem to fail to realize that not every city will have authentic places), $80 is on the pricier side for a meal for two to me. This place must be trying hard to be upscale.
Old 04-22-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think OldBoy had some good Mexican shit, but it wasn't food. The question is incomprehensible.
Old 04-22-18, 07:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

OP, just tell us what the place was called.
Old 04-22-18, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Damn, this thread seems to have touched a nerve. Possible TOTY?
That honor will be mine if I have anything to say about it. I was runner up last year.
Old 04-22-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
That honor will be mine if I have anything to say about it. I was runner up last year.
No fair campaigning for it!
Old 04-22-18, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I narrowly lost out to the Stranger thread, and it was mentioned as motivation to come back next year with a better thread. Maybe my singles thread will have a good payoff by the end of the year.
Old 04-22-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I narrowly lost out to the Stranger thread, and it was mentioned as motivation to come back next year with a better thread. Maybe my singles thread will have a good payoff by the end of the year.
Only if you get laid. And it's still early and you're a fairly good looking white cat who is tall. Dude, there you go, now you have something to shoot for!
Old 04-22-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I live in New York in a neighborhood with a lot of Mexicans and I don't believe I've ever had good Mexican food in my life. There's a good Dominican restaurant near me, but that's not the same thing. I prefer Chinese food anyway because they believe in green vegetables, like fresh broccoli, which the Mexicans, Dominicans, Italians and Greeks don't seem to understand is a necessary part of a balanced meal, judging by their menus, at least. (Same with the restaurants in Tokyo, which I just returned from.) The Dominicans and Koreans seem to dominate the local businesses in my area anyway, so I don't even know where the Mexicans go to eat. (They probably cook at home!)

There must be good places in Manhattan for Mexican food, but if no one takes me or recommends one to me, how am I gonna find out? I'm not terribly adventurous when it comes to food anyway. But it would be nice to have at least one good Mexican meal before I die.
Old 04-22-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wouldn’t good Mexican food in NY cost about $80?
Old 04-22-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wouldn’t good Mexican food in NY cost about $80?
Since I've never had any, I wouldn't know. But if it did, that may be why I've never had any. $80 is too much for any kind of meal.
Old 04-22-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I thought everything in NY is so high priced I thought $80 might sound normal.
Old 04-22-18, 08:28 PM

Well I thought everything in NY is so high priced I thought $80 might sound normal.
$80 at a good restaurant in NYC is normal for 2 people.
Old 04-22-18, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it is and it isn't. There's lots of cheap food, especially in carts. Even the fru fru hipster "California" restaurant we went to, the tacos were $5. So $14 for guacamole, 7 tacos at $5 each, and that's only $50 pretip. But throw in margaritas (say 5 total for 2), that's another $60 minimum. We really overdrank one night and somehow hit over $150, but that was mostly booze. $80 without alcohol might require eating a whole lot of tacos.
Old 04-22-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I live in New York in a neighborhood with a lot of Mexicans and I don't believe I've ever had good Mexican food in my life..
I have a mexican friend and I've asked her where to find authentic/good Mexican food in Louisville. She said she hasn't found a single place yet.
Old 04-22-18, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I live in New York in a neighborhood with a lot of Mexicans and I don't believe I've ever had good Mexican food in my life. There's a good Dominican restaurant near me, but that's not the same thing. I prefer Chinese food anyway because they believe in green vegetables, like fresh broccoli, which the Mexicans, Dominicans, Italians and Greeks don't seem to understand is a necessary part of a balanced meal, judging by their menus, at least. (Same with the restaurants in Tokyo, which I just returned from.) The Dominicans and Koreans seem to dominate the local businesses in my area anyway, so I don't even know where the Mexicans go to eat. (They probably cook at home!)

There must be good places in Manhattan for Mexican food, but if no one takes me or recommends one to me, how am I gonna find out? I'm not terribly adventurous when it comes to food anyway. But it would be nice to have at least one good Mexican meal before I die.
Yeah, it would be.

Also, it's geography. You will most likely not find good Mexican food in New York, because they are the Latino minority over there. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc., dominate the foodscape. You'd have to come to California or go to Mexico for the real deal and I don't mean that bullshit hybrid versions like tex-mex, new-mex, etc. And who the fuck says we don't like vegetables? I think you being an asianphile clouds your judgement.
Old 04-22-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, it would be.

Also, it's geography. You will most likely not find good Mexican food in New York, because they are the Latino minority over there. Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc., dominate the foodscape. You'd have to come to California or go to Mexico for the real deal and I don't mean that bullshit hybrid versions like tex-mex, new-mex, etc. And who the fuck says we don't like vegetables? I think you being an asianphile clouds your judgement.
It wasn't meant as an attack, just an observation. I just never see fresh vegetables of any decent portions served at any kind of restaurant in New York, except for Chinese places. And that includes my local Greek diner, which occasionally provides soggy, limp vegetables, taken either from frozen or canned sources, with its entrees. At the Chinese restaurants, while I'm eating I see the trucks unloading and bringing in boxes and boxes of fresh vegetables, including broccoli.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.