Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good deal?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Do you think we live in a society where everyone speaks to everyone as equals?
Yes
1.79%
No
57.14%
What are you high?
41.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good deal?

Old 01-08-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good dea

Pupusas rule! and yeah Peruvian has gotten more popular lately that its now more on the higher end price. So average dishes are usually be $12 - 25.
Old 01-08-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 914 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: Do you think we live in a society where $80 at a Mexican Restaurant is a good dea

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Peruvian is great. I love some good lomo saltado.
I'll have to give that a try. I was happily surprised to discover that there's a Peruvian place right around the corner from our new house. I've been a few times, but I've only ever gotten the Sanguche de Chicharrón.
Old 01-08-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 600 Likes on 484 Posts

Lomo Saltado is delicious, tho the quality of it varies a great deal from place to place (seemingly more than most dishes).
Old 01-10-19, 02:43 PM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,789 Posts

God damn I had some of the best carne asada tacos in a while the other day. 5 for $10.
Old 01-10-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

Nice deal!
Old 01-12-19, 10:15 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 454 Likes on 404 Posts

here's a good one. went to same place with 4 others from work this time. 5 all together. apps, dinner, 3 pitchers of margaritas, 3 tequila shots and 1 dessert. $250, $300 with tip. that shocked the hell out of me. i had no idea 1 pitcher was $40 dollars and 1 shot of whatever good tequila was $9 per shot. the margaritas were strawberry lemonade for gods sake. there was barely a trace of alcohol, but after 5 or so glasses anything possible, but that bill really threw me. but i guess $60 per person ain't too bad...
Old 01-12-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
God damn I had some of the best carne asada tacos in a while the other day. 5 for $10.
The best taco place in my town has $1.25 tacos. But they do charge for chips and salsa, which is BS.
Old 01-12-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
here's a good one. went to same place with 4 others from work this time. 5 all together. apps, dinner, 3 pitchers of margaritas, 3 tequila shots and 1 dessert. $250, $300 with tip. that shocked the hell out of me. i had no idea 1 pitcher was $40 dollars and 1 shot of whatever good tequila was $9 per shot. the margaritas were strawberry lemonade for gods sake. there was barely a trace of alcohol, but after 5 or so glasses anything possible, but that bill really threw me. but i guess $60 per person ain't too bad...

Damn, all of that is still expensive. I was just at my local Tex-Mex spot that serves the best Margaritas in town and during Happy Hour they sell a pitcher for $19.50. I can get 4 glasses out of a pitcher, and I did - killed the pitcher by myself. It was delicious.
Old 01-12-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 654 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Shit yeah, you can get any cuisine in Toronto. I've had bone marrow at the Black Hoof, and horse meat at a French restaurant in TO. Norm, there are a couple good Mexican places in the Kensington Market area.
Great Scott! Shamefully, I haven't been to Kensington in years. Frankly, I don't like the stench that pervades the area. We used to get our meat at European Quality on Baldwin, but it closed a few years ago. Buying there was a hilariously clamorous, jostling experience akin to a cattle auction.
What Mexican joints in the area do you recommend, cultshock?
Old 01-12-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Old 01-12-19, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't care if it's not authentic, but there's a fusion Meixcan restaurant near my new house that's in the $$ range on Yelp with your typical $12-20 type entrees and I think it's delicious. There are plenty of cheap hole in the wall type places too, but it's to have a variety and not be stuck on preconceived notions on what you think food should be.
Old 01-16-19, 08:33 AM

Btw what is the fascination with Chipotle. When i lived in Seattle every single Chipotle was full during lunchtime and dinnertime. Now that I am in Florida is the same deal the Chipotle gets packed during lunch. Its good but not like the best, specially if you have a Taco Truck nearby as an alternative.
Old 01-16-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 649 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Btw what is the fascination with Chipotle. When i lived in Seattle every single Chipotle was full during lunchtime and dinnertime. Now that I am in Florida is the same deal the Chipotle gets packed during lunch. Its good but not like the best, specially if you have a Taco Truck nearby as an alternative.
Chipotle has always been garbage.
Old 01-16-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
People like the safe known quantity. Why do people go to McDonald's when there's a local burger joint nearby?

Also, people like seeing all the ingredients and picking what they want; there's an appeal to "build your own" and see it built as you select. A taco truck may let you tell them what you want, but you have to look at a list of ingredients available (if they even have that) and you don't get to see the ingredients you pick. It may have better food and it may be where I'd go, but I understand why people might choose Chipotle.
Old 01-16-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Great Scott! Shamefully, I haven't been to Kensington in years. Frankly, I don't like the stench that pervades the area. We used to get our meat at European Quality on Baldwin, but it closed a few years ago. Buying there was a hilariously clamorous, jostling experience akin to a cattle auction.
What Mexican joints in the area do you recommend, cultshock?
The popular one is Seven Lives in Kensington but the lineup and this is Baja tacos might be a turnoff for some people. The best taco place that I found in Toronto is El Nahual in Eglinton West.
Old 01-16-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts

Yeah, I don't understand the Chipotle hate. I like it.

Now, I live in Southern California, where we do indeed have some amazing hole-in-the-wall-but-outstanding Mexican joints. But not all of them are good, some are downright terrible, far worse than any Chipotle I've ever been to. Plus, it's fun to mispronounce "chipotle" like in the old Jack in the Box commercials. Chipitople. Chipoodle.

Old 01-16-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 654 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
The popular one is Seven Lives in Kensington but the lineup and this is Baja tacos might be a turnoff for some people. The best taco place that I found in Toronto is El Nahual in Eglinton West.
Thanks for the tips.
Originally Posted by nando820
When i lived in Seattle every single Chipotle was full during lunchtime and dinnertime. Now that I am in Florida is the same deal the Chipotle gets packed during lunch.
Reminds me of when we used to take the I-75 to Florida, and every Cracker Barrel had line-ups out the door for their disgusting grub.
Old 01-16-19, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts

I ate at Chipotle for the first time in years today. I'm grateful they have a Whole30 bowl, because I didn't plan well. But . . . god damn that was some mediocre guacamole, and the carnitas were just plain bad. I was starving, so good enough, but come on. I wouldn't eat there normally.
Old 01-16-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 517 Posts

I ate at Chipotle at DFW last week. I had the veggie bowl. I forgot it as soon as I finished, and only remembered it when I saw Tasha's post. Airport food: expensive and bland, but fast.
Old 01-17-19, 09:47 AM

that's kinda where im at with Chipotle. Good enough but its bit on the bland side. I don't get it the hype. Maybe is very healthy ?
Old 01-17-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

Convenience and people like seeing them made as you order.
Old 01-17-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

A new Taco Bell is set to open in my neighborhood. It's across the street from one of those multiple franchise joints where Taco Bell shares space with Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins. Does that mean that the Taco Bell already there will close and get replaced by some other franchise? And what happened to that Mexican restaurant announced around the corner that never opened? Did they change their mind because of the Taco Bell? Stay tuned...

Old 01-17-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts

Kentaco Hut?
Old 01-17-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 562 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
A new Taco Bell is set to open in my neighborhood. It's across the street from one of those multiple franchise joints where Taco Bell shares space with Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin-Robbins. Does that mean that the Taco Bell already there will close and get replaced by some other franchise? And what happened to that Mexican restaurant announced around the corner that never opened? Did they change their mind because of the Taco Bell? Stay tuned...
Generally, franchise rights (and most Taco Bells are franchises) are sold by geographic area so the odds are that whomever owns the multiple franchise joint will also own the dedicated Taco Bell across the street.
Old 01-17-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Generally, franchise rights (and most Taco Bells are franchises) are sold by geographic area so the odds are that whomever owns the multiple franchise joint will also own the dedicated Taco Bell across the street.

Or the brand standard changed and Taco Bell made them have a separate building or the lease expired and they wanted a separate building. Starbucks might be able to put two locations across from each other but I haven’t seen a chain restaurant do it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.