$20.18 Thread of Food Delivery Tipping in the Modern Age

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-21-18, 08:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Simple set of questions:
It's 2018, man; How much do you tip for food delivery? A fixed amount? Percentage of the total? Baked goods? Sexual favors? Fatherly/Motherly advice? MRA pamphlets? A barrage of insults?

I typically tip $5 flat. Sometimes up to $10 depending on how drunk I am.
Am I a cheap motherfucker?
Old 04-21-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: $20.18 Thread of Food Delivery Tipping in the Modern Age

I tip twenty percent. Mainly from gratitude that I don't have to depend on tips to make my living.
Old 04-21-18, 09:04 PM

For food delivery, I usually tip between $3-$5. It depends on how far the restaurant is, how quickly it arrived, the weather, and how much I ordered.

Papa Johns is about 2 miles away. If I order 2 large pizzas the total is around $30 after coupon, tax and delivery fee. I'll round up the total to the next dollar and add $3 for tip.

I tipped more back when places offered free delivery. But these days, most places charge $3-$4 delivery fee.
Old 04-21-18, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
For food delivery, I usually tip between $3-$5. It depends on how far the restaurant is, how quickly it arrived, the weather, and how much I ordered.
This makes much more sense than tipping a percentage. The difference in effort of delivering one $10 pizza and $50 worth of Chinese food is somewhere between negligible and non-existent. It would not be fair to tip the second driver 5 times as much as the first driver. Nor is it fair to tip someone who delivers $50 worth of food the same as someone who serves you $50 worth of food in a restaurant, checks up on you a few times, refills your drinks, etc. If it is a really big delivery order, like food for 10+ people, you should up the tip, but for most deliveries, $3-$5 is perfectly fine.
Old 04-21-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I did the food delivery thing for a while. I enjoyed the percentage-based tips when delivering $200 worth of food for corporate lunches ...
Old 04-21-18, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the tipping mandatory? If not then you are in no obligation to break your head how much you have to tip the individual.

For me if she's cute she gets a big tip.
Old 04-21-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

A few bucks. If there's a delivery fee, it might be a bit less. I don't order delivery that much though, most of the time i'll go pick up.
Old 04-21-18, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I don't order delivery that much though, most of the time i'll go pick up.
Lately, I've been doing much more pick-up. Delivery fee and tip can add up to $7-$8. I've got plenty of restaurants within a few blocks. I can get there and be back home in 15 minutes.
Old 04-21-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Same here. Pick-up. I can't recall the last time I paid a delivery fee/tipped. Back when I did, $3 was the standard.
Old 04-22-18, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I honestly don't remember the last time I had food delivered.

We've been in this house for 21 years, and I don't think we ever did.
Old 04-22-18, 06:34 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If money meant little to me and I abhored subjecting myself to the hazards of shopping in a B&M store, I'd have no problem doing the food delivery thing and tipping generously. But money means quite a bit to me, I'm not rich, I'm merely somewhat kinda sorta comfortable in a penny-pinching kinda way, and I kinda like getting out with my wife from time to time and doing some shopping. I'll probably be that way until I'm too old to drive, at which point I'll consider delivery. If I should decide to get my groceries delivered, I'd probably be inclined to give the delivery person $3 per delivery. If he/she thinks that's not enough, he/she can just get the hell off my lawn!
Old 04-22-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a cheap fucker so I'll generally go pick up instead of getting delivery. When I do get delivery I'll tip less if there is a delivery fee just on principle alone. Yes I know the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver but that's up to them to figure out with their employer not me.
Old 04-22-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You get your sexual favors delivered?
Old 04-22-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I only ever tip $2 for food brought to me - either directly from the restaurant, Uber Eats. GrubHub, Eat24, DoorDash, etc. I also don't always use these services unless I get a discount of some kind. Uber Eats will wave the $4.99 fee every once in a while.
Old 04-22-18, 10:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
You get your sexual favors delivered?
In this modern age, why not? It could be safer that way!

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I only ever tip $2 for food brought to me - either directly from the restaurant, Uber Eats. GrubHub, Eat24, DoorDash, etc. I also don't always use these services unless I get a discount of some kind. Uber Eats will wave the $4.99 fee every once in a while.
At least I learned I'm not the cheapest motherfucker here. Damn, son.
Old 04-22-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still get pizza delivered, and Amazon delivers some good Indian food, so I'll usually tip a few bucks. Large orders do have more stuff to juggle so I will account for that.
Old 04-22-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
In this modern age, why not? It could be safer that way!

At least I learned I'm not the cheapest motherfucker here. Damn, son.

Keep in mind that I normally never order more than $20 of food for delivery. if I do go over $20 then I increase the tip to $3 and so on.

Now if I'm at a bar or restaurant then it's more, because the service is more inclusive than some dude dropping off my food.
Old 04-22-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not giving the delivery guy the same kind of tip that I do at a restaurant. I almost never get food delivered to my house, but we do at work regularly, and usually we give the guy three to five bucks max (mostly closer to three).
Old 04-22-18, 12:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

My thinking has always been that servers in restaurants are likely only making $2 an hour and rely on tips, so an 18-20% tip on the pre-tax total.

Delivery people make at least $7.25 an hour, so I just tip a couple few bucks on my typically $30 or so order.

Where I get conflicted is the pick-up at restaurant instances, we do this at Outback fairly often. Is the person who packaged our food and brings it out to our car a minimum wage employee, or $2 an hour server?
Old 04-22-18, 01:09 PM

Jokes on you “pick up” guys. A lot of places have tip lines when you pick up now too!
Old 04-22-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We pretty much never get delivery, but in the rare case, I tip maybe $2-$5 depending on the order. We've pretty much substituted delivery and take out for pre-made convenience foods, though, which I make on the weekend. I made many dozens of shrimp and pork pot stickers this week. (I can make our food for 1/5th the cost. )
Old 04-22-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
We pretty much never get delivery, but in the rare case, I tip maybe $2-$5 depending on the order. We've pretty much substituted delivery and take out for pre-made convenience foods, though, which I make on the weekend. I made many dozens of shrimp and pork pot stickers this week. (I can make our food for 1/5th the cost. )
That sounds like you made enough to share!

🤤
Old 04-22-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sexual favors. Reduces the tip. Everyone's happy.
Old 04-22-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
My thinking has always been that servers in restaurants are likely only making $2 an hour and rely on tips, so an 18-20% tip on the pre-tax total.

Delivery people make at least $7.25 an hour, so I just tip a couple few bucks on my typically $30 or so order.

Where I get conflicted is the pick-up at restaurant instances, we do this at Outback fairly often. Is the person who packaged our food and brings it out to our car a minimum wage employee, or $2 an hour server?
This stuff makes me glad that California (well as for as long as i've known) has always kept minimum wage the same for servers/wait staff as everyone else.
Old 04-22-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I've never understood this. I mean I "get it," not factoring in the government's cut in theory, but we're talking about change.

Take a $20 pre-tax meal, at 20% that is a $4 tip.
Add in tax, (6% here) and it's $21.20 which means a tip of $4.24. So you're saving a whole quarter by not factoring in Uncle Sam's cut. Chances are, you round up or down anyway you negate whatever change you think you're saving by going off the pre-tax total. Or you decide to go with 15-18%, which makes using the pre-tax number as arbitrary as the tip percentage.

Now if you're one to drop a couple hundred every time you dine out, then it might make sense to not factor in tax. Even with the same percentages above you'd save a whopping $2.40 on a $200 meal. I'd argue if you're comfortable dropping $200 on a meal, you're not going to be penny pinching over $2.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.