Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

For the record...

Old 04-20-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the record...

Ok, this has been taken further than it ever should. I sent a private message to a user, as an insult had been thrown my way and I am not one to take it lightly or hold back in a response. I sent it privately as it did not concern anyone else on this forum.

I realized that I had ignited a flame on a pefectly fine thread, and with all honesty it was not my intention. In fact I had serious hesitation when I posted the comment that ignited the flame. And in fact, I have even proven myself wrong since then. I watched History of the World today and Madeline Khan is always fantastic.

Anyway, instead of throwing back insults on the forum and continuing to drag this out I sent the user a private message to address my issue with the insult they had thrown my way. I had hoped that I would not have to continue to deal with this user and the conversation in general. I had started something where in hindsight I was wrong and wanted it to just stop and move on. What does irk me though is the fact the user feels the need to post private messages on this forum to try and create some frenzied bloodlust of hatred against me. You may not like some of my views, hell you may not like me for any number of reasons, and that's fine, but I find bringing out a private conversation into a public forum unacceptable. It serves no purpose but to throw fuel on a fire that had dying embers. Its not constructive in any way and only increased animosity all round. I have no respect for that user, but I had respect to this board in keeping my greviance between the two of us.

Did I send the message. Yes I did. Do I regret it? Not for a second. In fact I think his subsequent actions have only helped demonstrate that I was justified in sending them in the first place. I have seen lesser offences cause users to be banned from this site, but it appears no action will be taken against the user.

I will finish by saying that I have no mental, medical or other issues (thanks for asking though...cyber group hug), but its been a hell of a last 6 months for me and have had to deal with life affirming events that make me realize life is too short to not stand up for yourself and speak your mind. Even when that speaking is done in private and any respect in doing so is not given by the other party.

Blessings to all the good people on this board and I sincerely hope that more respect can be shown in the future by all, including myself.
Old 04-20-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: For the record...

Ibtl!

But I like those last 2 paragraphs. It sounds familiar.
Old 04-20-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Done tied my pecker to a tree, to a tree.

Done tied my pecker.

To a TREE!
Old 04-20-18, 10:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I hope your journey includes becoming the type of person that will regret sending a message like that. No excuse for that.
Old 04-20-18, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I will finish by saying that I have no mental, medical or other issues (thanks for asking though...cyber group hug), but its been a hell of a last 6 months for me and have had to deal with life affirming events that make me realize life is too short to not stand up for yourself and speak your mind.
Do you want to talk about it? We will listen.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I hope your journey includes becoming the type of person that will regret sending a message like that. No excuse for that.
With respect, James, I hope this for you, too.
Old 04-20-18, 10:14 PM

No offense, but if someone throws an insult my way I feel well within my rights to respond. How I do that is my choice, and as I said I don't hold back. I respected the forum by sending my response to his insult, which remember he posted on a thread, privately. His response is to open this up to everyone to try and either shame, disrespect, belittle or bully me. Tactics I am pretty sure are not allowed on this forum. You may not like what I said, but I don't see how you can condemn a person for dealing with the issue one on one in a private fashion.
Old 04-20-18, 10:19 PM

I neither condone Hazel Motes posting that PM nor do I condone your choosing to respond with name calling. Neither of you need my condonement or permission or whatever, obviously. But both tactics are a form of violence. And violence only begets violence.

Revenge only escalates.
Old 04-20-18, 10:21 PM

And no thanks. I don't think I would like to share much more on this forum, especially with regards to my personal life. I have occasionally mentioned some personal aspects of my life, but doubt that will happen again. Shame as people here can be incredibly generous with their support and advice.
Old 04-20-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Be specific. This isn't Facebook.

Jerk.
Old 04-20-18, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Old 04-20-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad you decided to start speaking your mind. It's let us all see that you're a garbage human being who we shouldn't take seriously.
Old 04-20-18, 10:32 PM

Fair enough. If you want to talk about it, send me a PM. I won't post it publicly, period.
Old 04-20-18, 10:32 PM

Seriously, are the Mods going to continue to allow forum users to continue to throw insults with no repercussion? I wrote this to respond to someone else's thread that was trying to throw fire my way, and have tried doing it in a calm mature fashion.

I insulted one person privately in response to an insult thrown my way. Now it seems its acceptable for anyone to just openly insult me on the forum.
Old 04-20-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry it's been a difficult road, and life is indeed too short.
Old 04-20-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This’ll teach me to have a job. Seriously, I go to work for 8 hours and the whole place goes bananas.
Old 04-20-18, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugly af in here
Old 04-20-18, 10:39 PM

I'm done.

Feel free to cheer and be happy and continue the insults. I tried writing this to explain a situation that had nothing to do with any of you to begin with, something between two people, and yet you feel justified to throw insults at someone who never insulted you. As I clarified I made a comment on a thread that I already conceded was unjustified, but you appear to continue to be offended beyond my admittance I was wrong.
Old 04-20-18, 10:40 PM

Fine.
Old 04-21-18, 02:15 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Seriously, are the Mods going to continue to allow forum users to continue to throw insults with no repercussion?
NO. You're both suspended.