Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Going to Toronto in June (4 days, 3 nights) - Suggestions on places to see/eat at?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Going to Toronto in June (4 days, 3 nights) - Suggestions on places to see/eat at?

Old 04-15-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just booked a 4 day/3 night trip to Toronto this June. Basically just a quick getaway for a weekend. Will be staying in Downtown Toronto.

For anyone here who's been there or lives there, I would love a few suggestions on places to visit or eat at?

Currently on the itinerary, I will be attending the Orioles/Blue Jays game on Saturday the June 9th.

I'm probably going to try to hit the CN Tower and maybe the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Was also thinking about hitting Toronto Chinatown for some of the local Chinese cuisine.

Any other suggestions? I won't have a car. Just going to rely on the public transportation and I don't want to really go to the boonies or outside the city unless it's really worth it. So basically give me a quick touristy things to do there in 4 days if you can.

Any good big Malls/places to shop there?

Thanks
Old 04-16-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Going to Toronto in June (4 days, 3 nights) - Suggestions on places to see/eat at

I recommend checking out the aquarium, which is located right next to the CN tower and Rogers Centre. I know it will likely be nice out when you are there, but its an incredible place and worth a couple hours of your time.

A walk through Graffiti Alley is an interesting experience and worth incorporating into any exploring you're doing.
Old 04-16-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Going to Toronto in June (4 days, 3 nights) - Suggestions on places to see/eat at

The food in general. Wonderful eclectic mix of everything, and the tsukemen at Ramen Isshin is top notch. Oh and Poutini’s for a snack.

2,000 calorie snack, but a snack no less.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-16-18 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-16-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went there with the family last summer with Niagara Falls and also went to a Yankee/Tor game. The Hall of Fame was great, but a bit smaller then I expected, Def get a picture with the Stanley Cup though, well worth it. We also did the Ontario Museum which was quite nice, and as a movie fan you should possibly check out Casa Loma, lots of movies filmed there you might recognize some rooms and backdrops, I thought that was a fun one. Enjoy!
Old 04-16-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
The food in general. Wonderful eclectic mix of everything, and the tsukemen at Ramen Isshin is top notch. Oh and Poutini’s for a snack.

2,000 calorie snack, but a snack no less.
Agreed. The food is great. There are these awesome Tim Horton restaurants. You can get coffee and donuts (they call them "doughnuts") pretty much 24/7, although many of them close at 8pm. But when they're open, it's coffee and doughnuts 24/7!

Sightseeing - take the ferry over to the Toronto Islands. They call it the Centre Island Ferry (they swap the r and e in Centre to make it more Canadian). The views of the city are breathtaking, and the islands themselves are pretty neat and there's lots of things to see and do, though unfortunately there is only one Tim Horton there.

Also, plan a stroll along Yonge Street. There's a ton of history and famous sights all along this one street. It starts at the lakefront about a block east of the Ferry, and goes inland from there. You can walk it - there's lots of cool things to see, like the Hockey Hall of Fame (good call, you going there!), the Toronto Eaton Centre ("re"!), Yonge-Dundas Square ("re"!), Richmond Hill (there's a Tim Horton's there), Barrie (home to John Madden, the NHL player, not the NFL coach), and Thunder Bay (home to Paul Shaffer from Late Night).
Old 04-16-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Richmond Hill (there's a Tim Horton's there)
Old 04-16-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Richmond Hill (there's a Tim Horton's there)
Who woulda thunk it!

Barrie (home to John Madden, the NHL player, not the NFL coach), and Thunder Bay (home to Paul Shaffer from Late Night).
I think he said he just wants to hang out in the city and won't have a car, so Barrie would be out (and Thunder Bay way way out! )

There's plenty to do downtown, what kind of stuff do you like to see? And as far as restaurants, you will be absolutely spoiled for choice, tons of great places to eat there.

Toronto has several Chinatowns, but your best bet would probably be the one on Spadina.

Man, I wish I could go back in time to the 1980's and take a stroll down Yonge St, it was way more interesting than it is now!
Old 04-16-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes mainly hanging out in the city. No car, so I won't be driving out to the boonies or suburbs.

Didn't realize that Toronto has multiple Chinatowns.

When I travel I like to do a variety of things, so I am open to whatever some of you think is interesting to do in Downtown.

I arrive on June 8th very early in the morning (around 6am), so I have essentially the entire day. Saturday I'm seeing the ball game at 1pm local, so that will take up at least 3+ hours. So I will have late afternoon free and the morning.

Sunday will be entirely free and I don't leave until Monday night.

So basically I'd like to do the CN Tower and try to get the Hockey Hall of Fame in along with a few other things. If it helps to mention, I'm staying at the Chelsea hotel in Downtown. I'm thinking about possibly doing the Edge Walk at the CN Tower, but that costs something like $225. I did something similar to it at the Macau Tower in Macau last summer. It's scary, but I'd like to do something fun like that, especially on vacation.
Old 04-16-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I think he said he just wants to hang out in the city and won't have a car, so Barrie would be out (and Thunder Bay way way out! )
I never claimed it would be a short walk, but he *could* walk the length of Yonge Street if he were so inclined.
Old 04-16-18, 03:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

See if there's any special events at the TIFF Lightbox. They sometimes have directors show up to introduce movies. I went and saw the film Rebecca, and Guillermo Del Toro introduced it. That was pretty cool.

Oh, and go to Kim's Convenience!
Old 04-16-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
If it helps to mention, I'm staying at the Chelsea hotel in Downtown. I'm thinking about possibly doing the Edge Walk at the CN Tower, but that costs something like $225. I did something similar to it at the Macau Tower in Macau last summer. It's scary, but I'd like to do something fun like that, especially on vacation.
Oh cool, the Chelsea is a nice hotel for the price, and great location, right downtown. That's where we always stayed when my parents took us for a weekend trip in Toronto, so I'm really nostalgic for the place. I'm really curious about the CN Tower Edge Walk myself, a friend of mine did it and raves about it. A little steep though, and I'd hate to pay that and then chicken out at the last minute.

I'll try to think of some cool things, off the top of my head is Second City, if you like live comedy/improv shows, and the place is legendary. Oh, and the Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario are pretty cool.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
See if there's any special events at the TIFF Lightbox. They sometimes have directors show up to introduce movies. I went and saw the film Rebecca, and Guillermo Del Toro introduced it. That was pretty cool.
Oh yeah, this! I'm not sure what they have going on there in June, but it's a great place. I've seen exhibits for David Cronenberg and Stanley Kubrick there in the past.
Old 04-16-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never claimed it would be a short walk, but he *could* walk the length of Yonge Street if he were so inclined.
He might need a few extra days.
Old 04-16-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't realize that Toronto has multiple Chinatowns.
Pro tip: When faced with this problem, stick with the Qin dynasty.
Old 04-16-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It has been a few years and I was mostly there to hang out with friends rather than see sights, but I do remember the CN Tower being totally worth it. I don't remember the dining too much. I remember we went to a few different places for pancakes in the mornings (well, "mornings") and all were good.
Old 04-29-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For those who have been to Toronto, how far is Niagara Falls is from there?

What's the best way to get there? A bus? Organized tour? As I said earlier, I don't have plans to rent a car. But, since I'm in the area, I'd like to go there.
Old 04-29-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Less than a two hour drive by car. The last time I was in Toronto, I actually flew to Buffalo first to pick up a friend and we drove up together. As for other options (tours, buses, etc.) I don't know. There are also some great wineries to visit in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which we did on the way back, so that was another reason to rent a car.
Old 04-29-18, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the best way to get there? A bus? Organized tour? As I said earlier, I don't have plans to rent a car. But, since I'm in the area, I'd like to go there.
It's less than 90 minutes away, depending on traffic. If you don't want to rent a car your best option is the GO Transit. You can catch the GO Train at Union Station downtown on Front Street, which will take you to the GO Station in Burlington (and you miss what can often be terrible traffic). At the point you take the GO bus to the bus station in Niagara Falls, which is pretty close to the falls itself, a quick taxi ride away. Eventually we are supposed to have the train extended right to Niagara in a few years so we could skip the bus ride part. More info, prices, schedules, etc. here:

https://www.gotransit.com/

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
There are also some great wineries to visit in Niagara-on-the-Lake, which we did on the way back, so that was another reason to rent a car.
Yeah, if you like visiting wineries, there a a shit ton in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and if you still don't want to rent a car, there are definitely bus tours for the wine route as well.
Old 04-29-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, if you like visiting wineries, there a a shit ton in Niagara-on-the-Lake, and if you still don't want to rent a car, there are definitely bus tours for the wine route as well.
People who know me well give me bottles of Inniskillin ice wine for Christmas, especially the Cab Franc.
Old 04-29-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Inniskillin has some good wine (and I've toured their winery) but boy, I cannot do ice wine, wayyyyy too sweet for me. But our region is world famous for ice wine, it's true.
Old 04-30-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been to Toronto a few times over the years.

As far as Chinatown, we always enjoy going to the Pacific Mall. Lots of imported Chinese goods, knock off electronics, anime and Japanese/Chinese cultural merch, and some fun places to get food.
Old 04-30-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pacific Mall used to be pretty cool, I bought a lot of bootleg HK DVDs and Japanese toys there back in the 90's. Plus there was an awesome Mongolian grill in the same plaza. Unfortunately it is a mere shadow of itself today, not worth it, unless you like cell phone and cell phone accessory stores (and the Mongolian place is long gone). Plus the OP wants to stick downtown and the Pacific Mall is further north in Markham.
Old 05-08-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So I have an early itinerary for this trip.

Day 1: CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, Chinatown and maybe some shopping.

Any suggestions on good big malls in Toronto?

Day 2: Orioles/Blue Jays game at the Rogers Centre. Rest of the day/night TBD

Day 3: Booked a 9 hour guided group tour to Niagara Falls. It includes lunch and cost about $80. I figured I would bite the bullet and pay for a tour company than go through loops trying to figure out to get there on my own.

Day 4: Last day. Leave in the evening. Not sure yet how to occupy the early part of my day.
Old 05-08-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like you have some good stuff planned so far.

Any suggestions on good big malls in Toronto?
Just go to the Eaton's Centre right on Yonge St. downtown, a block or two from your hotel. It's not as good as it used to be (but what mall is?) but is still big and impressive.
Old 05-09-18, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's not as good as it used to be...but is still big and impressive.
It's almost like you are talking about me.
Old 05-09-18, 07:33 PM

9 hours is way too much time to devote to Niagara Falls. You're wasting a vacation day. Get a rental car and drive there yourself. You'll honestly spend no more than 1 hour at the falls viewing it. Parking is a bitch near that area tho.

Art Gallery of Ontario is an amazing museum and if you're at all into art or a fan of canadian artists, it's definitely worth visiting. I'd say you should do that in the morning, then drive to niagara falls when you're done.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.