Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What is the appeal of Funko Pop

Old 02-28-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What is the appeal of Funko Pop

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Capitalism + Fandom gone wild.
Yep. These are by far the stupidest looking collectibles to get popular that I can think of. I got an Arya Stark one for christmas and took it straight to our "go to Goodwill" box.
Old 02-28-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Michael's craft store sells 'em for crying out loud. These things are 'effing everywhere. You really have to be living under a rock to never have seen them.
Old 02-28-18, 11:12 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Michael's craft store sells 'em for crying out loud. These things are 'effing everywhere. You really have to be living under a rock to never have seen them.
Old 03-01-18, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Wallgreens, CVS.. you have to be blind not to see these blocks lined up on every store
CVS doesn't carry them. They will usually get these fad items after the market bursts. They got the Zhu Zhu pets, silly bands, figit spinners, etc after crazes start do die down. Then they try to sell them at full price and they sit on their shelves forcing them to eventually give in and reduce them to 90% off just to get rid of them.
Old 03-01-18, 03:00 AM

At first I didnt like them, then I was given one as a funny present and I looked at the back of the box and thought Id get a few more, now i have over 500. I think what makes them fun is the wide range of movies and tv shows and musicians they have. their doing comics and ad icons and sports too. I collect movies and tv shows mostly, some of the original trilogy star wars. I think their just kinda quirky fun.
Old 03-01-18, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yuck. First world problems. People have too much disposable income, compounded by too much spare time on their hands.

Same could be said for this very forum, and "collecting" movies, in general, so I am of course the hypocrite.
Old 03-01-18, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
At first I didnt like them, then I was given one as a funny present and I looked at the back of the box and thought Id get a few more, now i have over 500. I think what makes them fun is the wide range of movies and tv shows and musicians they have. their doing comics and ad icons and sports too. I collect movies and tv shows mostly, some of the original trilogy star wars. I think their just kinda quirky fun.
Care to share a pic?
Old 03-01-18, 06:50 AM

So those anybody know how many of these have actually been produced?
Old 03-01-18, 09:17 AM

The only place around here that sells them are Gamestop. I would like to own a few but they never have any I like. I would love to have The Crow that was posted a couple of pages back.
Old 03-01-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
The only place around here that sells them are Gamestop. I would like to own a few but they never have any I like. I would love to have The Crow that was posted a couple of pages back.
As others I have pointed out, there are likely far more places than you realize. Many stores actually have exclusive options. But the problem for those looking for something specific is that stores like Target treat them as something to pair with whatever section they have setup. My local store has a dozens of them in their Marvel, DC, and Walking Dead setups. So they have those characters, but no others.

First place I ever noticed "Pop" was when FYE was closing their local store and I chose not to buy up the few I could have at their clearance prices. They had one whole wall of shelves dedicated to them. There had to be at least 300 different characters. Many of those are now going for huge bucks on the secondary market. Doh!
Old 03-01-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
As others I have pointed out, there are likely far more places than you realize. Many stores actually have exclusive options. But the problem for those looking for something specific is that stores like Target treat them as something to pair with whatever section they have setup. My local store has a dozens of them in their Marvel, DC, and Walking Dead setups. So they have those characters, but no others.

First place I ever noticed "Pop" was when FYE was closing their local store and I chose not to buy up the few I could have at their clearance prices. They had one whole wall of shelves dedicated to them. There had to be at least 300 different characters. Many of those are now going for huge bucks on the secondary market. Doh!
At least at my local Targets, in addition to the setups (and we don't have a WD setup) there's a space in the back of the media/games section where they put the rest of the pop culture stuff, and they have a section of Pops there. It's still an eclectic collection, mainly leftovers from the bigger themed sections (like they threw all the Star Wars ones back there once they reduced the Star Wars toy section).
Old 03-01-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
At least at my local Targets, in addition to the setups (and we don't have a WD setup) there's a space in the back of the media/games section where they put the rest of the pop culture stuff, and they have a section of Pops there. It's still an eclectic collection, mainly leftovers from the bigger themed sections (like they threw all the Star Wars ones back there once they reduced the Star Wars toy section).
Same setup at my local store. Back wall of the media section is all "related" merchandise. Such that I feel sorry for the folks looking for some of the DC and Marvel movies in the regular movie stock because they have often been stuck back in these specific sections.

The WD section at my store has shrunk big time, but last time I was looking around I noted there was a still small setup with every season on DVD (and some on BD) and a small of amount related merchandise, including probably 10 more Pop options.
Old 03-01-18, 10:42 AM

Right now, Gamestop is having a sale on them. Buy one, get one 50% off. Sale ends March 6th.
Old 03-01-18, 10:43 AM

Time to start a another collection!!
Old 03-01-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Yuck. First world problems. People have too much disposable income, compounded by too much spare time on their hands.

Same could be said for this very forum, and "collecting" movies, in general, so I am of course the hypocrite.
Old 03-01-18, 11:29 AM

So those anybody know how many of these have actually been produced?
There's probably at least 100,000 different ones as they have so many different variants. They can have one sculpt and simply change the color scheme on it 50 different ways and suckers will buy them all.
Old 03-01-18, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
There's probably at least 100,000 different ones as they have so many different variants. They can have one sculpt and simply change the color scheme on it 50 different ways and suckers will buy them all.

Old 03-01-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would they make Batman in Pink? I have thought of buying a few of these for fun, but I'm afraid if i started I wouldn't stop. I want Pink and the Brain though.
Old 03-01-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That Pinky and the Brain look awesome.
Old 03-01-18, 01:31 PM

I think the later ones are not as squared head as the originals. Also 100,000 its too much
Old 03-01-18, 02:02 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Why would they make Batman in Pink?
Old 03-01-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen these everywhere but they're not really appealing to me as a collectible. Maybe if they had some really obscure characters that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Actually way a bit north of Seattle in Everett. Very close to the giant Boeing Manufacturing plant that is also in the area.
yeah I know where it is, I actually lived in Bellevue but my sister worked in the Boeing plant in Everett so I been there quite a few times
Huh, I didn't know they were local either.
Old 03-01-18, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, and Slash for my music room. Considering getting Lemmy. Would love an EVH.
Old 03-01-18, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I've seen these everywhere but they're not really appealing to me as a collectible. Maybe if they had some really obscure characters that I couldn't find anywhere else.
Funko has done POPs of just about anything. I won't be surprised if we get to see POPs for California Dreams, Step by Step, Full House, Growing Pains, Family Matters, the 1998 NY Yankees, Harlem Globetrotters, the Bionic Six, Captain Planet, Silverhawks, Go-Bots, Julia Child, Pinwheel, and Paddington Bear
Old 03-01-18, 03:50 PM
Banned

Six Million Dollar Man and woman?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.