Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What is the appeal of Funko Pop

Old 02-28-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: What is the appeal of Funko Pop

Because they are cool, huge variety and inexpensive.

Sorta like the music collection in your sig.
Old 02-28-18, 12:47 PM
Banned

I forgot to add I have a Travis Bickle I got from a friend for Christmas.

I would like to get The Dude if I can find one.

Old 02-28-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never heard of or seen those. Maybe I need to get out more.
Old 02-28-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im not much of a fan of them for the most part but Ive got a few (Regan from The Exorcist, a H.A.R.D.A.C. Batman from Batman: The Animated Series, and a Deadpool wearing a shower cap and holding a rubber duck).

I like that they go for a lot of obscure franchises but they all have a kind of sameness to them that I feel makes them boring. The best ones are the unique animals/aliens/creatures.
Old 02-28-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Between my kids, my wife and myself, we have about 150. Started out with my son sending in an offer on one off a PopTarts box a few years back and its exploded from there.

As for myself, I only buy the ones that make me think back about something I loved as a kid: Back To the Future, Voltron, Home Alone, Star Wars, Godfather, Scarface, etc. I do have a lot of Game of Thrones ones because thats my favorite show of all time. I emailed them a few months back asking for Miami Vice pops (one of my all time favorites) and they loved the idea, so it'll be interested to see if they do it.

It's more of a nostalgia thing for me. My kids pick up characters from movies, and my wife just picks ones she thinks are cute.

Oh, and I don't keep them in the box. I'm not buying them for resale value.
Old 02-28-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Despite often being able to get them for free, I only have two. Dancing Baby Groot (which is actually a working bobble head) and Battle Ax Tyrion.
Old 02-28-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We have a bunch. IT's kinda neat with 4 people in our house to have a standardized way of expressing our little fandoms.

Me: WWE, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Lemmy
Wife: Disney, Bob's Burgers
Sister: Sailor Moon, Supernatural
Brother in Law: Comic Books, Game of Thrones

We don't keep them in the boxes.
Old 02-28-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Never heard of or seen those. Maybe I need to get out more.
Wow, really? It seems like you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who is selling these.

One thing I collect is Godzilla toys, so a couple times I've been tempted to buy a Godzilla Pop figure (which is larger than the regular ones) but have managed to resist. I have some kind of cute little super deformed Godzilla figures from Japan, but the Pops are just too cutesy for my taste. I'll admit that it's cool that they've licensed some really obscure characters that I never thought would get any merchandise based on them.
Old 02-28-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have Finn & Jake from Adventure Time someone gave us as a gift. They're cute little tchotchkes to put up on a shelf. I couldn't imagine collecting a bunch of them though.
Old 02-28-18, 01:46 PM

I don't get it, either. The eyes ruin it for me.
Old 02-28-18, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been collecting since 2010 or so, I think I have around 250, though I did sell a few high priced ones back in 2015 to help pay for my wedding. Some of the first editions sell for crazy money now considering they were all worth $10 at retail.

There is a huge POP! community that goes absolutely nuts over these, spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars for some of the rarest ones. Personally, I take them out of the box (but store safely for reselling), otherwise your house starts to look like a retail store backroom.

Like every fad, one day the majority of them will be about as worthless as Beanie Babies are, but they are still fun to collect, and they are snatching up every license under the sun.
Old 02-28-18, 02:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-28-18, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Despite often being able to get them for free, I only have two. Dancing Baby Groot (which is actually a working bobble head) and Battle Ax Tyrion.
All of the Marvel and Star Wars ones are bobbleheads. Something to do with toy licenses.
Old 02-28-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a few, probably more than 10 but less than 20. Most all of them I received in subscription boxes. They're just cute figures often of characters you wouldn't expect.

I have some horror ones (Dracula, Frankenstein, Leatherface, Pinhead, Jason, Cthulhu); I like these in particular because their cute depiction in figure is so at odds with the actual characters.

My biggest complaint is one already expressed. I like that they do so many types of characters, but if that character doesn't have a distinct feature (physical attribute, costume, etc.), the identity can get lost. I have Long Dim Dong from Sixteen Candles and Will Graham and Jack Crawford from Hannibal. You would never know who they were supposed to be. Some of the more unusual designs are much better for these figures.
Old 02-28-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People like collecting things.

I only have one figure - John Wick.
Old 02-28-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have Superman and Wonder Woman (Justice League versions) and Star Lord and Groot.

I think they're kind of cute and neat, but I wouldn't really go out of my way and spend money on these.

I already have limited shelf space and don't need more things to collect dust.
Old 02-28-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another hypebeast toy? Oh fuck.
Old 02-28-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a few. These things are everywhere at retail. NYCC has probably 50 vendors of these things alone.
Old 02-28-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have 2.....Cam Newton and Luke Kuechley. What I really want are the Hannibal ones, but they are OOP and pricey.
Old 02-28-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post

I do like some of Funko's other lines, though. Their mystery mini lines are more on the SD side of things and less on the black eyed alien look, but blind boxes are the devil, so screw them. But they have a new line at Target called Hero World which are non blind boxed figurines, and are basically what DC heroes and Power Rangers would look like if they had crossed over into Disney Infinity.
I saw the Teen Titans one of these at Target the other day. Didn't know it was the same company. These actually look better because the sculpts match the real characters. The no articulations still kills it for me

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
So I take it a lot of you would have no interest in this place?:

https://www.funko.com/about-us/news/...own-everett-wa

Odlly enough I thought exactly the opposite. And it's getting a ton of visitors. Will be interesting to see if more locations are ever opened. The one in Everett makes sense given the plant is just in a different part of the same city. I know a few folks that work at the plant and they love it.
I used to live in Seattle. Didn't know they were made right there

Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
We have a bunch. IT's kinda neat with 4 people in our house to have a standardized way of expressing our little fandoms.

Me: WWE, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, Lemmy
Wife: Disney, Bob's Burgers
Sister: Sailor Moon, Supernatural
Brother in Law: Comic Books, Game of Thrones

We don't keep them in the boxes.
That's kinda cool
Old 02-28-18, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
All of the Marvel and Star Wars ones are bobbleheads. Something to do with toy licenses.
Didn't know that. I'm like many others in not being very interested in collecting them. The Groot was a Disney Movie Rewards redemption.
Old 02-28-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I used to live in Seattle. Didn't know they were made right there
Actually way a bit north of Seattle in Everett. Very close to the giant Boeing Manufacturing plant that is also in the area.
Old 02-28-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yeah I know where it is, I actually lived in Bellevue but my sister worked in the Boeing plant in Everett so I been there quite a few times
Old 02-28-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I often wonder if they sell enough to manufacture so many licensed properties?

I have 2. The larger Baymax that I got at a Disney Annual Passholder screening of Big Hero 6. And Bruce from Finding Nemo (because I'm a JAWS fan). I do have the ReAction figures from Jaws that they put out.
Old 02-28-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I often wonder if they sell enough to manufacture so many licensed properties?

I have 2. The larger Baymax that I got at a Disney Annual Passholder screening of Big Hero 6. And Bruce from Finding Nemo (because I'm a JAWS fan). I do have the ReAction figures from Jaws that they put out.
The licenses they're after, or at least the obscure ones that won't sell as much as, say, Marvel cinematic, are probably pretty cheap to obtain, and then it's not like the sculpts cost that much.

I am really surprised they've lasted this long, though, I'd thought they'd last about as long as Mini Muggs (which are making a comeback).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.