Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Old 02-19-18, 09:41 AM
  #1  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

More like “opened my unlocked car and took some stuff” but
Wife forgot to lock the car after she got home from the grocery store... so naturally, someone rooted through our stuff in there. Worst part is that our little video camera and my wife’s sunglasses were in there, and now they’re gone. I think we had most of our videos backed up from the camera. There were a couple brand new toys for my kid in the trunk that didn’t get taken.

Doubt there’s any point making a report...
Wife feels pretty guilty but I don’t really blame her. This shit happens.

Probably some punk ass kids.
Old 02-19-18, 09:46 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 16,463
Received 431 Likes on 313 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Someone went through your car at home? Do you live in a condo with shared parking or was this in your driveway?
Old 02-19-18, 09:57 AM
  #3  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Driveway. We don’t park in the garage because it’s full of stuff. I should probably fix that.
Old 02-19-18, 09:58 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 16,463
Received 431 Likes on 313 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Wow, that's pretty ballsy. At least it would be in my neighborhood. No way someone could do that without others seeing it.

Sorry to hear. Time to get a motion sensor turret gun set up!
Old 02-19-18, 10:10 AM
  #5  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Very ballsy. There’s a lamp post between my house and my neighbor’s, so they’d have been in full light. They must have panicked at some point because there were pennies and dimes all over my driveway... we had a decent stash of them in the car. Barely any quarters though. Suckers!
Old 02-19-18, 10:15 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 14,263
Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

I'd at least report it to police. If nothing else, it would keep their crime stats updated, and that could lead to different funding down the road.

My neighbors have had their vehicles rooted through on a few different occasions over the last decade. Our street isn't lit all that well, but they do have floodlights on their driveways. They don't do any good if people keep their blinds closed at night.
Old 02-19-18, 10:19 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 25,816
Received 971 Likes on 628 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
We don’t park in the garage because it’s full of stuff. I should probably fix that.
Old 02-19-18, 10:21 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,349
Likes: 0
Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

#movethewindmill
Old 02-19-18, 10:35 AM
  #9  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

thanks for the laugh, Adam

Wife reported it to the police before I suggested it, apparently. She’s good people.
Old 02-19-18, 10:50 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,265
Received 708 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Bummer! But if it motivates you to clean the garage, it's a win. Like all the times I locked myself out of the house: kept identifying windows that I could pry open to climb in, and then secured each one afterward.

Eventually I got to a point where I could no longer easily break into my house, so nobody else could, either!
Old 02-19-18, 11:15 AM
  #11  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Dammit, you guys can’t turn this into a thread about my messy garage. At least I’m not paying for a storage unit!!!
Old 02-19-18, 11:17 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 16,171
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

This happened to me a half dozen times or so at my old house. It was a townhouse, car parked literally 15 feet from my front window, street lights everywhere, very well light, my porch light on etc. That does not seem to deter criminal anymore. On the same night, 15-20 of my neighbors had the same thing happen. All of us had various things stolen.

Reported it to police and they claimed to increase patrols in the area, but meh, never seemed to stop it from continuing to happen. Lesson learned to just never keep anything in the car over night. Then I installed a video camera and never had another incident. One could clearly see the camera from the car.

Been in my new house for 8 months now (different state), this is a single family home with 2 car garage and driveway on a well lit street that only has 5 houses on the street. I have 4 cars, so a couple sit out.

Already had some mischief with the cars, no idea who, has to be random. I installed an obvious security camera and a really bright flood light so I don't have to rely on security camera night vision. I also installed a driveway monitor with alarm that I can hear inside the house if anything the size of my 25lb dog or larger walks into the driveway (fully tested with dog, both alram and motion detect recording on the camera).

Have not had a problem since, and the video captured during the night has some interesting visitors. Deer, coyote, etc
Old 02-19-18, 12:48 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,004
Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Before I judge you, does your garage door have an opener, or do you have to get out and open them manually?
Old 02-19-18, 01:16 PM
  #14  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,053
Received 165 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Who the fuck still has a manual garage?

Anyway, never leave your car unlocked, but also never leave valuables in your car. I live under the rule where I don’t leave anything in my car unless I wouldn’t miss it. So a hat, sure, but a phone or camera or something, no way.

Also, thieves like to search your car for the garage door opener so they can enter your house. So be careful what you do with those things.
Old 02-19-18, 01:48 PM
  #15  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Before I judge you, does your garage door have an opener, or do you have to get out and open them manually?
So, we have an electric opener, but we don't have a remote for it in the car, so we only use the button inside the garage to open and close it. We never bothered to program the function into our car's built-in system. We never open the door by hand, just the button in the garage. There's also a lock on the door itself, to stop it from moving up and down, but we only engage that when we plan to be away overnight.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Anyway, never leave your car unlocked, but also never leave valuables in your car. I live under the rule where I don’t leave anything in my car unless I wouldn’t miss it. So a hat, sure, but a phone or camera or something, no way.
Yup, I'm petty adamant about remembering to bring stuff into the house if it doesn't need to be in the car. The camera got left in there because she used it a few weeks back and left it in the glove box. Completely forgot about it until this morning.

Also, thieves like to search your car for the garage door opener so they can enter your house. So be careful what you do with those things.
This makes me even more glad I never bothered to get a remote or program the in-car system for that!

As for lighting, well, there's that lamp post right in front, but I've gone ahead and bought a pair of 6000k 2500LM motion flood lights, as I needed a better light in the back yard anyway (it's far too dim for late-night meat smoking!), so figured having motion-triggered lights in front and back wouldn't hurt.

Wife is still a bit shook up / mad at herself about it all.
Old 02-19-18, 01:50 PM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

We set up up Arlo cameras around the house now that I have to park outside (wife and kiddos cars stay in garage). Plus I put up an extra bright LED motion floodlight above where I park.
Old 02-19-18, 03:07 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 17,620
Received 717 Likes on 512 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Dammit, you guys can’t turn this into a thread about my messy garage. At least I’m not paying for a storage unit!!!
I demand pics of the garage so that we can mock you!


Sorry about the break in. It happened to me once in a mall parking lot while I was at the movies. Door was locked so they smashed in the drivers side window and tried to take the stereo, but they must have gotten spooked during the crime. That's why, depending where I'm parked, I am more likely to keep the doors unlocked but nothing valuable in the car, it was a real drag replacing the window (and driving home from the mall with no window in the middle of a cold, windy January!)
Old 02-19-18, 03:43 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 19,423
Received 727 Likes on 514 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Dan, hopefully the asshole was bitten by the brown recluse.
Old 02-19-18, 03:47 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,265
Received 708 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by MarkitZero View Post
We set up up Arlo cameras around the house now that I have to park outside (wife and kiddos cars stay in garage). Plus I put up an extra bright LED motion floodlight above where I park.
Accidentally read the parenthetical as 'wife and kiddos stay in garage' ...



Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-19-18, 04:26 PM
  #20  
Dan
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: In the straps of boots
Posts: 26,398
Received 785 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I demand pics of the garage so that we can mock you!
NEVAH!!!
Actually, my wife just told me, as she was looking for the camera's box (to get the serial number, since the police want it), that we have too much stuff and she wants to start purging. I've been saying this for like three years! She might finally be on board.
Maybe I'll do a before and after picture for you voyeurs.

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Dan, hopefully the asshole was bitten by the brown recluse.

Even I wouldn't wish that on anyone!

My cat found this motherfucker the other day:
Old 02-19-18, 04:59 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,265
Received 708 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Yeah, but that looks like a noble wolf spider, the women-folk of which are some of the best mothers in the spider world.
Old 02-19-18, 10:06 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 25,272
Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Before I start in on razzing you ... Glad your wife reported it. You never know if these incidents are just punk kids or an actual professional ring of car burglars. We've had both around here in the last several years. Unlocked car burglary is a crime increasing in frequency.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Driveway. We don’t park in the garage because it’s full of stuff. I should probably fix that.
Just leave the garage door unlocked. Appears that will work.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Dammit, you guys can’t turn this into a thread about my messy garage. At least I’m not paying for a storage unit!!!
You are not paying for A storage unit? So you are paying for two units?

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
NEVAH!!!
Actually, my wife just told me, as she was looking for the camera's box (to get the serial number, since the police want it), that we have too much stuff and she wants to start purging. I've been saying this for like three years! She might finally be on board.
Damn. That's a bit extreme.

Old 02-20-18, 12:37 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,452
Received 435 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
This happened to me a half dozen times or so at my old house. It was a townhouse, car parked literally 15 feet from my front window, street lights everywhere, very well light, my porch light on etc. That does not seem to deter criminal anymore. On the same night, 15-20 of my neighbors had the same thing happen. All of us had various things stolen.

Reported it to police and they claimed to increase patrols in the area, but meh, never seemed to stop it from continuing to happen. Lesson learned to just never keep anything in the car over night. Then I installed a video camera and never had another incident. One could clearly see the camera from the car.

Been in my new house for 8 months now (different state), this is a single family home with 2 car garage and driveway on a well lit street that only has 5 houses on the street. I have 4 cars, so a couple sit out.

Already had some mischief with the cars, no idea who, has to be random. I installed an obvious security camera and a really bright flood light so I don't have to rely on security camera night vision. I also installed a driveway monitor with alarm that I can hear inside the house if anything the size of my 25lb dog or larger walks into the driveway (fully tested with dog, both alram and motion detect recording on the camera).

Have not had a problem since, and the video captured during the night has some interesting visitors. Deer, coyote, etc
Hopefully it's on a motion sensor...
Old 02-20-18, 06:14 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 24,081
Received 120 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

My only thing to add: don't leave tools in your cars. It's cash for desperate people. Tools are the best possible thing to sell at a pawn shop.

I don't know where you live. But that stuff all ends up at pawn shops. Almost no exception. Problem is there's so many nowadays. And the thief will take it across town so it's less likely it'll show up on anyone's radar. In Phoenix, pawn shops are required to hold all inventory for 21 days, which gives time for it to be reported stolen and tracked down by the police department (if a claim is made). Thieves will also hold onto it for a month-or-so so they can be sure it's been forgotten about.

Realistically, most people just accept it and move on. I had some tools stolen once. Almost everyone I know has had their tools stolen at least once. Some prick stole a $200 air compressor straight from my warehouse within the past year (I went to use it and was like ...).
Old 02-20-18, 10:21 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 23,153
Received 572 Likes on 358 Posts
Re: Yet another “someone broke into my car” thread

I blame Trump, violent video games, and guns.

But seriously we have reports of this all the time here and we live in a very safe neighborhood. The police say it's from folks out of town who come in the middle of the night into nice neighborhoods where folks aren't as concerned about locking stuff up or having cameras and they just go from car to car checking to see if they are unlocked. The penalty, in California anyhow, is just a petty theft misdemeanor if the car isn't locked (as I posted a few weeks ago.. it's the same penalty as a waiter giving someone a straw without asking for it would be). So it's gone from rare to pretty common... unfortunately

Not sure if any of use Nextdoor but it's actually a very good tool to help with these sorts of things.. like a community working together.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.