Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you still enjoy celebrating your birthday?
Yes
36.36%
No
21.21%
It's whatever
42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still enjoy your birthday?

Old 02-12-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you still enjoy your birthday?

With my birthday coming up I'm feeling my usual sense of dread. I never look forward to it as it just always feels like a reminder to the negatives in my life: I never got married and had kids, I'm one year older and I still feel like I haven't accomplished what I want to yet. Needless to say I completely DREAD the day it comes around and I get the usual birthday posts on Facebook.

Honestly I dont remember being really happy for a birthday since I was 21.
Old 02-12-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Do you still enjoy your birthday?

Just another day of the week, always has been
Old 02-12-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, I just mostly ignore it other than on the years where I turn x0.
Old 02-12-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 46. It's usually just another work day. Maybe get taken out for dinner or something. No parties or gifts. Just more aches and pains and grey hairs.
Old 02-12-18, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
With my birthday coming up I'm feeling my usual sense of dread. I never look forward to it as it just always feels like a reminder to the negatives in my life: I never got married and had kids, I'm one year older and I still feel like I haven't accomplished what I want to yet. Needless to say I completely DREAD the day it comes around and I get the usual birthday posts on Facebook.

Honestly I dont remember being really happy for a birthday since I was 21.
It's just another day – made significant by a somewhat arbitrary measurement of time.

Also, you can alter your Facebook settings so that that nobody can see when your birthday is. Then nobody will bother you on your birthday except those who know what day it is the old fashioned way.
Old 02-12-18, 12:16 PM
Admin-Thanos

I think when you are younger, you so desperately want to get older that you relish your birthday as a sign of getting closer to that accomplishment. Plus people fawn over you and give you presents. As you get older, it's a reminder that you are in fact getting older and often times we look back on the regret in our lives. I think it's natural to do that. You have to fight being too negative though. Try to look at the positives. I don't enjoy my birthday like I did when I was young, but hearing from old friends and spending time with friends and family on my birthday is fun and I look forward to that. I don't want to get any older, but that's not gonna happen.
Old 02-12-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
Also, you can alter your Facebook settings so that that nobody can see when your birthday is. Then nobody will bother you on your birthday except those who know what day it is the old fashioned way.
Yeah, that's what I do. I got sick of people who only communicate with me once a year to say "happy birthday!" because Facebook told 'em to.

I used to actively dislike my birthday before getting married. Now I just sort of shrug and go along with whatever celebration my wife/family have planned.
Old 02-12-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No. Not sure I have in a very long time.
Old 02-12-18, 12:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I enjoy every day. But my birthday has been pretty much a normal day since I was ten.
Old 02-12-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 47 and am pretty much over my birthdays as an event per se. My MIL is absolutely over the fucking top. Her Bday is 12-4 and her daughter is 12-6. She expects all her kids that are local to be at her house for cake on the day of her Bday and then again 2 days later for her daughter. mind you she is over 70. Irritates the shit out of me but the "wrath" is not worth it getting on her bad side if you are a no show. My wife barely tolerates it but to save the pissiness we go along. I just don't get it....
Old 02-12-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Every year, I enjoy getting to have dinner with family, I'll say I'm happy and grateful to be alive and in good health. At 36, its just another day of getting older you get realize how little you have accomplished with your life so I can relate to the OP post.
Old 02-12-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good timing for this thread to come up since today is my birthday. I'm 33 now and, like most people, my birthday has just turned into another day. Too many life responsibilities now to stop what I'm doing just to enjoy my birthday. But it's still more fun than most days and it's nice when people reach out to say Happy Birthday and even nicer when they drop by with a gift.
Old 02-12-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As others have said, it's just another day to me. I'll usually just do did dinner and cake with my parents. I feel like it's mainly for them. My last birthday was number 40, and my sister was very taken aback that I didn't consider it a major milestone. Eh.

To be honest, I've always found it a bit strange when someone makes such a big production about their own birthday, almost like it's a cry for attention.
Old 02-12-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy it in the sense that I can celebrate with friends the fact that I have crossed another milestone, and when my next one comes (I'll be 71 this year), I only hope that I can still celebrate the crossing of another milestone. We celebrate my birthday with a meal and a cake with ONLY very close friends. I don't get and don't want presents - I don't need anything at all.
Old 02-12-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím 31. I certainly donít dread it. Itís not as big of a deal as it was when I was younger but I try to make a decent day of it. I try to take the day off from work if Iím able to and just relax. Normally Iíll go to supper with family or friends.
Old 02-12-18, 12:40 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I'm 47 and am pretty much over my birthdays as an event per se. My MIL is absolutely over the fucking top. Her Bday is 12-4 and her daughter is 12-6. She expects all her kids that are local to be at her house for cake on the day of her Bday and then again 2 days later for her daughter. mind you she is over 70. Irritates the shit out of me but the "wrath" is not worth it getting on her bad side if you are a no show. My wife barely tolerates it but to save the pissiness we go along. I just don't get it....
Old 02-12-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dread my bday only because I hate being the center of attention.

So Iíll usually just have dinner with 3 close friends, instead of having a big party or large group dinner.

I do like celebrating my friendsí birthdays though. Usually go to a house party or there is a tradition that my friend does for her bday - rent a vacation home with about 15-20 friends and party all weekend.
Old 02-12-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy my birthday. Year before last, my husband took me to the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. Last year he was going to take me to Capital Grille, but I ended up having a toothache. I don't really want to be the center of attention in a big group, but we just go out by ourselves, and I like that.

I will say I loathe getting birthday notices on Facebook. I took my birthday off for that reason.
Old 02-12-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Generally not. But this year I turn 40, and I'm headed out of town to Reno with some buddies the weekend after, so I'll probably enjoy that a lot.
Old 02-12-18, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy my birthday. Sure it's not like it was when I was a kid. But my children make a big deal out of it. Lots of folks on Facebook and other places acknowledge it. And I gets lots of free meals/food from restaurants who have my info on their mailing list. What's not to enjoy?
Old 02-12-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't mind it. Getting older is part of life. I don't have any parties, but a few good friends who remember my B-Day do take me out to lunch or dinner. My sister will get me a gift and may take me out for dinner when she's not busy.

As for Facebook, I appreciate the people who take the time to give me a birthday greeting. I know many on there choose to ignore those "forced" alerts. Most of the people on my list are people who don't see regularly, so it's always nice to hear from them.
Old 02-12-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, my birthday is 6 days before St. Patrick's Day. In the past, when my birthday fell during the work week, we'd put off celebrating it until St. Patrick's Day, 'cos that's the day a lot of my friends show up at the same pub, having taken the day off or left work early. I like to joke that "4,000 people came to the pub to help celebrate my birthday!" So celebrating on St. Patrick's Day has become my "thing" now, and I like that.

But my actual birthday? Eh. I'm gonna be 47 in a couple months. All I really want on my actual birthday is something "fun" to eat, and since I do most of the cooking in this house, I can make that happen myself. I don't really look forward to birthdays any more - I just realized the other day that not only would sleeping with a girl half my age not be illegal, girls born the year I graduated high school are almost 30! So it's kind of a downer. That, and gifts from my family have long since gone from a big box of smaller, individually wrapped gifts - an iPod Nano! A bottle of cologne! A box of candy I like! - to a greeting card and $25 Amazon gift card.
Old 02-12-18, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The good thing about my birthday is that my daughter makes a point of spending it with me, so it's basically one of three or four days out of the year I get to spend a day with her. Sometimes it's lunch and a movie, sometimes taking a long walk in a picturesque spot in lower Manhattan and sometimes a museum.

Sometimes my older brother will call up at the last minute and want to have dinner and bring whatever family members he can corral, but then I get to tell him no, I'll be with my daughter.
Old 02-12-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, I love getting 1 year older and wiser, as I have no desire to turn back the clock and enjoy getting older in life. Onward and forward I say.
Old 02-12-18, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Yes, I love getting 1 year older and wiser, as I have no desire to turn back the clock and enjoy getting older in life. Onward and forward I say.
Exactly. I couldn't imagine going through High School and College again. I was so happy in May 1997 when I was officially done with school for good.

School was hard for me at times, but I managed to finish with ok grades. I couldn't imagine being that young and doing that again.

Time to keep moving forward and experience life good or bad.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.