Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you still enjoy celebrating your birthday?
Yes
36.36%
No
21.21%
It's whatever
42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still enjoy your birthday?

Old 02-12-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Do you still enjoy your birthday?

Yes, I drink more and it's great.
Old 02-12-18, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I’ll be 39 on March 10th and dread it. I’ve hated every birthday since I left my 20’s.
Old 02-12-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not terribly significant to me, but I enjoy it because my kids get excited to celebrate it. I'll be 41 in 11 days.
Old 02-12-18, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We do dinner for birthday's. Birthday person gets to pick the place.

Both my kids and I are all June birthdays with mine being on or around Father's Day. When the kids were little we would have a Father's Day picnic for dad and father-in-law and the kids' birthdays. Now that the kids are older and dad is gone, we still have the picnic out of tradition. I'm fine with forgetting it but my sister and I still exchange birthday gifts and my in-laws usually get me a card with some cash.
Old 02-12-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only time I've cared was in late 2016 when I learned that I could take my 401K money without penalty if I quit my job early. Other than that I never make a big deal about it. I learned that my sister planned a surprise party for my 21st birthday. I went to the park and played baseball all day so she couldn't find me and make some lame excuse for me to come over to her house.
Old 02-12-18, 03:59 PM

For me, a birthday is like every other day: it is what you make it. I don't see it as a bad thing or something to avoid, nor am I sad or angry about getting older. Life is a gift, I'll take it.

I like to have fun in my birthday. Not a big party person. A special sinner with my family is fun, I like to bake cakes, too, so I've got that covered. In my 20s, I worked on my birthday, Now in my late 30s I try hard not to, if it's possible, or if I do have to work I try to do something fun at work and that's worked out well lately. I wish everyone happy birthday in a unique way on Facebook so it's always fun to see who reciprocated with What I write to them (I'd say 25% do, at least). I like to read the paper, keep it if I remember. I like to get outside, enjoy the summer. I like to take advantage of some of those birthday club rewards things like free coffee or free ice cream, just for kicks, especially the ice cream since I never really buy ice cream.

This year, it looks like I'm going to a Girl Scout overnight camp with my daughter for my birthday weekend and there's nothing I'd rather do.

I bake cakes (I guess you could say I'm a Christian baker!) and enjoy trying new recipes for my own birthday. My family prefers their favorites so my birthday is a chance to mix it up with little complaint. Tried a s'mores cake last year and it went okay. Haven't thought about this year's cake, yet. Maybe something with toffee, I've been into that lately.

My friend, Clarence, he goes to the movies on his birthday every year. I think this year he's going to see three kung fu movies, Sonny Chiba flicks. He's been pretty lonely, these days. I've got an idea about how to cheer him up, but I'll need some of you to pony up on the Kickstarter.
Old 02-12-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep things pretty low key, but I enjoy my birthday for several reasons:
  • I really like cake and I always get an awesome one for my birthday.
  • I really enjoy going out to eat with my wife and she takes me out for my birthday to the restaurant of my choosing.
  • I really enjoy hanging out with my best friend and he usually comes into town on the weekend closest to my birthday.
Basically, it's a good excuse to enjoy things that I love with people that I love, which I otherwise may not regularly have the means to do.
Old 02-12-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just a day. Mrs Danger used to bake me a cake, but I can't eat all that anymore. Last year she bought me a cupcake.

My last big party was to be on my 50th. Nobody had thrown a birthday party for me since I was five. Mrs Danger arranged to have a big party for me at a restaurant and lots of friends. The surprise was going to be that she got 25 of the women to agree to flash me at once: 50 boobs for 50 years. Then someone close to us got hurt feelings, and started a fight, and that couple ended the friendship with us, and attacked her on Facebook, and Mrs Danger cancelled the party. That killed the mood.
Old 02-12-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099 View Post
With my birthday coming up I'm feeling my usual sense of dread. I never look forward to it as it just always feels like a reminder to the negatives in my life: I never got married and had kids, I'm one year older and I still feel like I haven't accomplished what I want to yet. Needless to say I completely DREAD the day it comes around and I get the usual birthday posts on Facebook.

Honestly I dont remember being really happy for a birthday since I was 21.
Age is just a number to a certain extent.

I usually treat myself on my Bday with goodies. My family also gives me stuff but I don't make a big deal of it.

I don't dread my bday because it's just like any other day. Besides, what is time?
Old 02-12-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
I like to have fun in my birthday. Not a big party person. A special sinner with my family is fun, I like to bake cakes, too
You'll have to elaborate on this.
Old 02-12-18, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The OP doesn't say how old they are, but I'll be 53 this year and I never did the hetero marriage and kids thing either. So the fuck what? Life isn't like sixth grade where the first one to get kissed, or humped, or whatever they're doing in sixth grade nowadays, wins some amorphous status. Life is what you make it. Do I enjoy my birthday every July 12? Sure. My workmates do birthdays big with a cake and lunch out. Do I do anything on my own? Not unless it's a 'milestone'...when I turned 50 in 2015 I threw a "Grey Shades of Fifty" party for myself. most years I get together with a friend or with my local family.
Old 02-12-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't celebrated my birthday since my kids were young. I mainly did it for them because they enjoyed it. Every birthday, I'd get the same kinda dinner with the same kinda cake.
Old 02-12-18, 07:21 PM

I feel bad for everyone posting in this thread who either said no or "it's whatever." Life is amazing and you can do awesome things with your spare time. It's very sad to read instead of it being a reminder that you survived another year and a time to reflect on the cool shit you did or just being happy about being alive, it's a marker of failure, getting old, or being too busy/stressed out to appreciate it. I'm going to assume it's Americans posting this as we are usually over-worked and exploited by our jobs. I feel bad for you guys, I truly do. Please make it a priority to take time out each day to enjoy yourselves. Always remember you can get mental health care if things don't get better.
Old 02-12-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's whatever. My wife's birthday is around the same time and usually we'll try and take a small trip, but nothing too crazy or fancy. For my recent 35th birthday she thought it was special enough to organize a nice dinner with my friends and made it Laker themed, which was pretty cool. But for the most part, it's not something I pay that much attention to or about.
Old 02-12-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like everyone else, it's just another day now. The only special things I do are go out for hibachi and the band I'm in will play a show with some other local bands I like.

I turn 39 in a few weeks. Maybe next year I'll do something fun but I doubt it.
Old 02-12-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Absolutely! And going to Vegas...very likely on my own...for my birthday at end of month.

Iíll do what I want. I went to Vegas 4 times last year. Of course I had fun, but many a thing I couldnít do or had to do things not thrilled with as I was w/a ďotherĒ.

Friends and family are freaking that Iím going on my own...Iím looking forward to it!
Old 02-12-18, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
It's just a day. Mrs Danger used to bake me a cake, but I can't eat all that anymore. Last year she bought me a cupcake.

My last big party was to be on my 50th. Nobody had thrown a birthday party for me since I was five. Mrs Danger arranged to have a big party for me at a restaurant and lots of friends. The surprise was going to be that she got 25 of the women to agree to flash me at once: 50 boobs for 50 years. Then someone close to us got hurt feelings, and started a fight, and that couple ended the friendship with us, and attacked her on Facebook, and Mrs Danger cancelled the party. That killed the mood.
Friends, that's an amazing gift.
Old 02-12-18, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
You'll have to elaborate on this.
Well, that's definitely my best auto-correct ever!

Or IS it?...
Old 02-12-18, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

36 years old, and I still enjoy mine -- My wife is a wonderful gift-giver, so I end up with something really cool that even I didn't know I wanted, but she somehow did, I'll cook a nice dinner for us and she'll make special dessert and we mostly just relax.
Old 02-13-18, 05:26 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't enjoy getting older any more but I do enjoy having a big juicy ribeye courtesy of my wife (whether out or at home) and I'll admit to kind of liking to being remembered once a year.
Old 02-13-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Birthdays are just a reminder that I'm another year closer to death.
Old 02-13-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I'm 47 and am pretty much over my birthdays as an event per se. My MIL is absolutely over the fucking top. Her Bday is 12-4 and her daughter is 12-6. She expects all her kids that are local to be at her house for cake on the day of her Bday and then again 2 days later for her daughter. mind you she is over 70. Irritates the shit out of me but the "wrath" is not worth it getting on her bad side if you are a no show. My wife barely tolerates it but to save the pissiness we go along. I just don't get it....
God it must be miserable spending time with family.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
I enjoy my birthday. Sure it's not like it was when I was a kid. But my children make a big deal out of it. Lots of folks on Facebook and other places acknowledge it. And I gets lots of free meals/food from restaurants who have my info on their mailing list. What's not to enjoy?
Pretty much. We either get together for a home cooked dinner or go out with family. Unless you hate your extended family or friends, what's not to like? Food and good company for a couple hours.

Some of you must just be miserable fucks.
Old 02-13-18, 11:52 AM
Cool New Member

Not really. It's one more reminder of how soon you're gonna die which can be a good/bad thing depending on how you look. Maybe it helps kick me more into gear to do the stuff I want to do.
Old 02-13-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't care that much about my birthday. It's in the middle of December, so planning anything where people could actually come is practically impossible. I keep saying that I should do my half birthday instead, but meh... I'm 45. I don't really see the point in making a big deal of it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I definitely appreciate still being here and all, but I don't need a big to-do over it.
Old 02-14-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hell yea I do. Dec 31st. And the world celebrates with me!! I never have to pay for a drink ever if I am out at a bar.

It's the next day that usually sucks...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.