Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Old 02-12-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Re: Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
...but the job wasn't something I was interested in.
Picky about women, hasn't got a woman.

Picky about jobs, hasn't got a job.

hmmmmm...
Old 02-12-18, 08:30 PM

Well this certainly took an interesting turn.
Old 02-12-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
I don't know what that means. Help me understand, please.
Are you really not familiar with Bluelitespecial's MRA/MGTOW diatribes in other threads here?
Old 02-12-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Well this certainly took an interesting turn.
Shit just got real.

Old 02-12-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story View Post
I don't know what that means. Help me understand, please.
He means that Star Wars and Ghostbusters and all the good movie franchises except for Death Wish and Magic Mike are being feminized.

Or something like that
Old 02-12-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We have a Winner!!!! Thats all I have to say. I have tried to let this thread die until I can actually take it seriously and take the chance as I described.
Old 02-12-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The current war on men and masculinity in society is a big part of the problem.
Is this a reference to the #METOO movement currently catching fire? As long as you are sexually harassing her at a singles meet and not at her workplace you should be golden.
Old 02-12-18, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

We have a Winner!!!! Thats all I have to say. I have tried to let this thread die until I can actually take it seriously and take the chance as I described.
Once the thread is born, you have to let it go where it will. I do believe Story was hoping for you to explain where you are coming from RE the war on men and masculinity, however, should you wish to explore that.
Old 02-12-18, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Once the thread is born, you have to let it go where it will.
Agreed. An OP can have good intent and try to keep the community on topic but ultimately an OP playing mod in her or his own thread doesn't usually come off very well.

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
I do believe Story was hoping for you to explain where you are coming from RE the war on men and masculinity, however, should you wish to explore that.
Exactly. I know how others feel about this topic and I know how I feel. But I don't understand how you feel, bluelitespecial. I don't know where you're coming from, how this effects you directly, and what makes you feel unsafe to go to a singles mixer.

Please say more about that, help us understand where you're coming from, help me get it.
Old 02-13-18, 07:03 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope that it turns out OK. If you play it safe in everything you do, then chances are you'll never be rewarded, you'll never find that one thing that will mean more to you than anything that preceded it. Fulfillment will be forever beyond your reach.
Old 02-13-18, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Sometimes you just have to take a chance and hope that it turns out OK. If you play it safe in everything you do, then chances are you'll never be rewarded, you'll never find that one thing that will mean more to you than anything that preceded it. Fulfillment will be forever beyond your reach.
I agree. Some risks are worth taking.
Old 02-13-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I agree. Some risks are worth taking.
We don't know what risks bluelightspecial is avoiding. At one end of the spectrum, the singles mixer is too much of a risk because he's afraid of being around women. At the other end of the spectrum, it's because one of the people at the mixer was his ex-wife who has a restraining order against him.

Without him telling us what's going on, we can't give him serious advice. That seems to be his intention.

I, for one, miss the good old days when a thread began with a guy asking if he should bring a rose on the first date (No), and ended with orgies at Steamworks.
Old 02-13-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Old 02-15-18, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have tried to think things through in what to say in this thread, as I think so much of what I have said has been misunderstood. I'll use it when I can take it seriously for what I want to change.

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Is this a reference to the #METOO movement currently catching fire? As long as you are sexually harassing her at a singles meet and not at her workplace you should be golden.
I have never done anything close to resembling what caused the #MEtoo movement, and I do have genuine sympathy for the women hurt by the actions of a few. But I see where its headed as an attempt to rewrite the rules of all interaction between men and women. Why would I even say hello to anyone when just doing so could be seen as predatory. A little extra story. I go to a zumba class at my gym, no funny reason, I just like being able to do something different. One of the instructors is a Chiefs cheerleader, I even have her as a friend on facebook. I always stay in the back of the class and never once been able to say hello. I looked at the pictures on the group page that put on the mixer, everyone looked much older than me, it was easier to stay home that night.

He means that Star Wars and Ghostbusters and all the good movie franchises except for Death Wish and Magic Mike are being feminized.

Or something like that
Kathleen Kennedy only cares about virtue signaling and indoctrinating the masses to her agenda, and doesn't care that Star Wars was built around a Male Fan base. Now we are treated as if we have no rights to anything culturally to call our own anymore. We fought back against Amy Pascal and Paul Fieg's plan to destroy Ghostbusters. Death Wish will be a game changer.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-15-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have tried to think things through in what to say in this thread, as I think so much of what I have said has been misunderstood. I'll use it when I can take it seriously for what I want to change.

I have never done anything close to resembling what caused the #MEtoo movement, and I do have genuine sympathy for the women hurt by the actions of a few. But I see where its headed as an attempt to rewrite the rules of all interaction between men and women. Why would even say hello to anyone when just doing so could be seen as predatory. A little extra story. I go to a zumba class at my gym, no funny reason, I just like being able to do something different. One of the instructors is a Chiefs cheerleader, I even have her as a friend on facebook. I always stay in the back of the class and never once been able to say hello. I looked at the pictures on the group page that put on the mixer, everyone looked much older than me, it was easier to stay home that night.

Kathleen Kennedy only cares about virtue signaling and indoctrinating the masses to her agenda, and doesn't care that Star Wars was built around a Male Fan base. Now we are treated as if we have no rights to anything culturally to call our own anymore. We fought back against Amy Pascal and Paul Fieg's plan to destroy Ghostbusters. Death Wish will be a game changer.
Starts strong, but crashes and burns. I can't add anything more to what others have said regarding the wrongness of the ideas you present in your last paragraph here, so for that reason - I'm out.
Old 02-15-18, 12:10 PM

I have tried to think things through in what to say in this thread, as I think so much of what I have said has been misunderstood.

What is there to misunderstand about this paragraph or anything you say? Are you not a women hating misogynist?

And Death Wish will be a piece of shit remake that will easily get forgotten.
Old 02-15-18, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One of the instructors is a Chiefs cheerleader, I even have her as a friend on facebook. I always stay in the back of the class and never once been able to say hello.
You are afraid of women.
Old 02-15-18, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to realize that to the rest of us, the first two paragraphs make perfect sense. The third paragraph sounds like that guy who posts about the alien mind-control vampires taking over humanity. You really, really need to move to a better internet neighborhood.
Old 02-15-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The third paragraph sounds like that guy who posts about the alien mind-control vampires taking over humanity. You really, really need to move to a better internet neighborhood.
True statement. I suggest you keep those theories to yourself when around women. Better yet, keep those thoughts to yourself when around anybody.
Old 02-15-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

wait BluelitSpecial is not really gay? I think i got it wrong all this time
Old 02-15-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
wait BluelitSpecial is not really gay? I think i got it wrong all this time
Don't know, doesn't matter. It's the fear and paranoia that need to be sorted.
Old 02-15-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

You should definitely go to the fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!
Old 02-15-18, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, Bluelightspecial, I fee sorry for you. So, I am going to give you some genuine good advice.

Do test runs. Accept contacts from women you are not interested in. Go out on a date, and see what it's like. It's okay if you totally screw it up, because you aren't really interested in her anyway. You're just practicing. You can even tell your date that.

Do speed dating. Go to mixers. Hone your skills on women you won't feel bad about not making progress with.

You will learn a lot, and be able to respond properly when the perfect woman for you does come along.
Old 02-15-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All due respect, that is terrible advice. He's bound to end up in a relationship he had no interest in being in to begin with.
Old 02-15-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
All due respect, that is terrible advice. He's bound to end up in a relationship he had no interest in being in to begin with.
I think when one views women as having an agenda to emasculate men and destroy male culture, the chances of ending up in any relationship are slim.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.