Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Old 02-09-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Singles mixer? Sounds like something you'd do to an Alan Smithee collection...

Old 02-09-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
No, She looked like she belonged at a Renaissance Fair, tall, but she had some purple hair, jacked up teeth, heavy, and not attractive at all.
I am quite certain there is a not in Kansas anyone line in there somewhere...

What's the worst that can happen? You wake up in a strange hotel missing a kidney? But seriously what does it hurt to see and meet people IRL?? You might have fun!
Old 02-09-18, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, She looked like she belonged at a Renaissance Fair, tall, but she had some purple hair, jacked up teeth, heavy, and not attractive at all.
Iím going to say OK to your description and lack of attraction to this one. Attraction happens or it doesnít, but being a dick is a choice. Maybe try not being so judgmental about womenís hobbies.

Dude, try something different ... whatever you have been doing isnít working.

Who knows, maybe you would enjoy cosplaying or Renaissance fairs since they let you ďbe somebody elseĒ and step out of all your troubles for awhile.

Iím not saying go for that girl. Iím just saying donít discount people so quickly. The point of this group and their mixers is to meet new people and have new experiences. Take the stick out of your ass and relax a bit, itís OK.
Old 02-09-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have had a very bad past when it comes to any and all women. In moving forward I would like to think having standards is okay, because I just want to do better than before. First off she needs to be a feminine girly girl type, but not a priss. No fake nerd girls, tattoos, or a face full of metal. Values good health and fitness, no drunks or drug users, be in good shape, no shorties, and has no kids.
Old 02-09-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Having standards is OK. But you need to be willing to accept that “2 outta’ 3 ain’t bad”. There is nothing wrong with knowing what you like/want, but expecting perfection is hypocritical when you don’t have your own house in order. You actually sound like the stereotype of a woman on an online dating site.

I’m not saying you have to settle, but I am saying open your mind a bit. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself and just enjoy the ride.

Blue, EVERYBODY has “a bad past with any and all women” ... until one day you hopefully find “the one”. In the mean time though, use the sample spoons life hands you and enjoy the multitude of flavors at the ice cream shop.
Old 02-09-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
In the mean time though, use the french fries life hands you and enjoy the multitude of flavors at the ice cream shop.
Old 02-09-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Definitely go. It will be about 80% dudes, unless you are in your 60s, then it will be about 95% women.
Old 02-09-18, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go, you might meet a dude with similar interests.
Old 02-09-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have had a very bad past when it comes to any and all women. In moving forward I would like to think having standards is okay, because I just want to do better than before. First off she needs to be a feminine girly girl type, but not a priss. No fake nerd girls, tattoos, or a face full of metal. Values good health and fitness, no drunks or drug users, be in good shape, no shorties, and has no kids.
and her criteria is: Must have job.
Old 02-09-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Take this with a grain of salt, because when it comes to women my only real talent is running them off, but.....if I were you I would skip 'mixers' whose only point is to introduce single people to each other, and find groups that actually have some common interest, like gaming or a foreign language or a particular sport.
Old 02-09-18, 10:28 AM

I think it's worth it, I hope you have a good experience.

Also, I can't remember if you were the guy writing some of that MGTOW stuff around here, but if so, bro, please, that stuff is toxic. Show upbwith that in your heart and it's over before it began.
Old 02-09-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not sure that type of women even exists. I vote you go and have a good time. You don't have to ask anyone out. And believe me, all of us guys could tell a tell a story about having a bad relationship with a woman so you are not the only one. Put it behind you and move on. Life is too short to stay living in the past.
Old 02-09-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Take this with a grain of salt, because when it comes to women my only real talent is running them off, but.....if I were you I would skip 'mixers' whose only point is to introduce single people to each other, and find groups that actually have some common interest, like gaming or a foreign language or a particular sport.
I have had a profile on meetup.com, I tried that but kind of chickened out. My biggest hobby here in town is going to movies, and there are pretty good groups around the independent movie theaters around here I've meet a few people but no real friends, and am more kind of surprised if anyone talks to me.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-09-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
and her criteria is: Must have job.
That's why I might chicken out, I'll go to the gym, and decide from there. Its easy to talk shit online, but meeting people in person is another story.
Old 02-09-18, 10:44 AM

If you do go, you may want to cool it with the "cuck" talk.
Old 02-09-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I have had a profile on meetup.com, I tried that but kind of chickened out. My biggest hobbie here in town is going to movies, and there are pretty good groups around the independent movie theaters around here I've meet a few people but no real friends, and am more kind of surprised if anyone talks to me.
Vib's advice is good. I think you should go to the mixer, but it'd be good to mingle with people who have a common interest aside from "meeting up." If you get to know someone you have a lot in common with, then it might be OK to not check every box.

It's good that you're mingling in the movie group, but the trick is that the central activity is solitary. It's not like you can talk and converse during the movie, and if someone tries to do that, you should immediately cross them off the list. If they have opportunities to mix following a movie that everyone sees, that'd be a good time to have conversations.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
If I didn't know what it meant, I wouldn't have told you not to say it.
I had to google it, and every time I google those MGTOW-type acronyms, I always regret it.
Old 02-09-18, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If you do go, you may want to cool it with the "cuck" talk.
This should be good.

You want her to be in shape, huh? I don't know... she may blow your mind by being able to carry a proton pack.
Old 02-09-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Women wouldn't be exterminators because they think the work is beneath them, one of the biggest reasons Ghostbusters was ridiculous.
Old 02-09-18, 11:44 AM

Women wouldn't be exterminators because they think the work is beneath them, one of the biggest reasons Ghostbusters was ridiculous.
This should be your opening gambit when you talk to any woman at the mixer.
Old 02-09-18, 11:44 AM

My biggest hobbie here in town is going to movies
But what do you do? How can you offer that in conversation? What can you say that is exciting and unique about what you offer the world? Going to the movies isn't a hobby, it's a habit. What do you create, do, try, interact with, not just consume?

State and Main has a great line from Rebecca Pigeons character, Ann Black: "Everybody makes their own fun. If you don't make it yourself, it isn't fun. It's entertainment."
Old 02-09-18, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, because all women are the same. That attitude will get you far I'm sure.
Old 02-09-18, 11:47 AM

You are going to get so much pussy!
Old 02-09-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's OK to generalize what all women think when basing it off of a fictional movie.
Old 02-09-18, 11:54 AM

Conversely, we could say women wouldn't date you because you think that they are beneath you, one of the biggest reasons your statements are ridiculous.
Old 02-09-18, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you fucking serious? Women clean more toilets, wipe more asses, and mop up more vomit than men since time began. Dude, you need a reality check.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.