Reload this Page >

Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

Old 04-23-18, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
Re: Should I go to a Singles Mixer?

I never said I would do any of those things Nick Danger. Dalton is Patrick Swayze in Road House.
Old 04-24-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions View Post
Thanks for posting about the drama in this thread on Facebook, or i'd never have read the thread. And I swear I worked with you - but I don't because you sound exactly like this guy who refused to look in the mirror, and realize that he controls his destiny and it's not everyone else's fault.

People in here are telling you the right things.
1. Get off Reddit. It's poisoning you.
2. Keep making attempts at those mixers, better option is meetup with your interests.
3. Get off Reddit.
4. Stay off Reddit.
5. You will fail with women. Period. Everyone does, and it's what helps you grow as a human.
6. Seriously, get away from the red pill, smv, blaming zone of the internet.
Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Reddit can be a great website. Maybe stick to r/wholesomememes instead of r/incels and r/redpill.
Old 04-24-18, 08:29 AM

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,773 Posts

Originally Posted by smg669 View Post
It's not inexperience they smell on you (and other "blue pill red pill" types). They smell absolutely batshit fucking crazy!
He isn't batshit crazy. He's admitted that he knows the shit he spews is wrong and misguided. He's made comments about wanting help from therapy. He needs help and isn't getting it. Just seems his worldview is skewed from past issues and stuff on the internet/media.
Old 04-24-18, 08:49 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Reported as an attack post.
I'm having a hard time (given the context of this thread) understanding how "middle aged white guy syndrome" is a personal attack.
Old 04-24-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

No real pony in this race, but I must admit reading through the last three pages of this thread thinking there must have been some reference to the guy up here in Toronto who drove a van down the sidewalk yesterday. The philosophies about women are rather similar.
Old 04-24-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I'm having a hard time (given the context of this thread) understanding how "middle aged white guy syndrome" is a personal attack.
If you want me to message you I will, I consider it an attack post. White knighting at its worst.
Old 04-24-18, 09:19 AM
Admin

Received 342 Likes on 219 Posts

If you want me to message you I will, I consider it an attack post. White knighting at its worst.
Sure, PM me.
Old 04-24-18, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by story View Post
Or a fight club...

No, a therapist. Get a good therapist. Seriously, all kidding aside, get a therapist.
This.

Sounds like Blue's dealing with way too many issues/baggage to even consider a relationship, much less be in one. Until he gets his emotional/mental state in order, he will only drag down whoever he's in a relationship with, that is, if he can even start one, being in the state he's in.
Old 04-24-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Reddit can be a great website. Maybe stick to r/wholesomememes instead of r/incels and r/redpill.
But that's like putting a needle full of heroin in front of someone who's an addict and saying, you can sit there with this in reach - but do not use it. If BLS knows his attitude about this stuff is faulty, remove the catalyst.
Old 04-24-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 180 Posts

Showing weakness is giving into impulses, Dalton never did, John Wick never did either.
Holy fuck. Never thought I would see a grown ass man base his relationship decisions and philosophy on actions of characters from movies. John Wick is a goddam retired assassin, how real is that?

Dalton isn't real, John Wick isn't real, the worlds they "lived" in weren't real, the people they interacted with weren't real, their motivations weren't real. Movie characters do not have answers for you. And trying to emulate them is fucking ridiculous and childish.

Lots of good advice in here, notably see a therapist. Spend every last cent you have on sessions with that therapist, because you need help. Or, barring that, take this little piece of advice: grow the fuck up.
Old 04-24-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

I had one girlfriend in high school, and a few in college. The last time I have done anything was in 2004. How can I give in to weakness? Showing any attraction at all is giving them the power and the upper hand. We have no control.
Caring for another person shows vulnerability, not weakness. If you're striving for control, you're watching too much Fifty Shades of Grey.
Old 04-24-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,864 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Caring for another person shows vulnerability, not weakness. If you're striving for control, you're watching too much Fifty Shades of Grey.
And if you're watching any Fifty Shades of Grey, you're watching too much Fifty Shades of Grey.
Old 04-24-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first one I laughed at, the second was a bore, and haven't watched the final movie yet.
Old 04-24-18, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I highly recommend you seek out an interview with Paul Scrader who wrote Taxi Driver. He’s given many interviews on the subject. He was in that place. He lived it. You may not be in that place, but you are in the neighborhood. You can get help. Do whatever you can to talk to a therapist.
Old 04-24-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

Things you should know about a therapist:

They are like a friend you can confide in only better. You will never have to worry about meeting them in public after telling them something sensitive. They will never talk to other friends about what you tell them.

Their JOB is to listen to you and take you seriously. Everyone needs that from at least one person in their life. I don't think you really have that.

Therapists have special training in understanding the difference between things like weakness and vulnerability, dominant and domineering, sex appeal and personal attraction. They can help you sort out what you need to worry about from things other people have told you to worry about, that you can really just ignore.

If you took up a new sport, you would want a coach to help you with form, so you don't sprain things. A therapist helps you with mental form. They not only help you improve your game, they keep you from hurting yourself.
Old 04-24-18, 12:12 PM

BLS... in all seriousness. Have you seen that other thread about the van attack in Toronto? Look at what he posted. And look at what you posted. I'm not saying at all that you're dangerous. But this guy fed into the bullshit. This rhetoric you're buying into is garbage.

Thanks Snake, I don't go to bars and beg to get laid, that's what Chads Do.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We’ve just obtained this Facebook post from the accused Alek Minassian, suspected in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/yongeandfinch?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#yongeandfinch</a> mass casualty. Posted early this afternoon. FYI Incel=involuntarily celibate. Elliot Rodger killed 6 ppl at UCSB in 2014 before killing himself <a href="https://twitter.com/globalnewsto?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@globalnewsto</a> <a href="https://t.co/W84xt3D85I">pic.twitter.com/W84xt3D85I</a></p>&mdash; Catherine McDonald (@cmcdonaldglobal) <a href="https://twitter.com/cmcdonaldglobal/status/988564214053654529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by dex14; 04-24-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Do whatever you can to talk to a therapist.

Old 04-24-18, 12:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Look I’m trying to be serious here. I’m a happily married father. No criminal record. I live a very clean and square lifestyle. But I’m also a young white boy. Or at least I was once. And young white boy disease is a thing. And it’s common. And it’s easily treated. It’s so common Hollywood makes movies about it. Like Taxi Driver.

As a young man it was very reassuring to me to hear another, older man tell me that these impulses are common and can be dealt with.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...geoffreymacnab

In addition to all that, I’ve read an interview where he said that on a couple of occasions young guys have come to his office and asked for a meeting and then accused him of stealing their story for Taxi Driver. In their delusional state they see the film as themselves. He dismisses it all as young white boy disease, and he knows how common it is.

I don’t think Blue light special is going to be the next John Hinkley, but he should get help. It wouldn’t take much.
Old 04-24-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Never heard of incel before. Back when I was younger it was just called being a guy and getting turned down by women. Everyone goes through it. You learn from it. I think a bit less time on the internet and a bit more time outside the house might help a lot of the people in that Reddit.
I find the older I get the less tolerance I have for the apparently expanding "Oh no, poor me" segment of society.
Old 04-24-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
BLS... in all seriousness. Have you seen that other thread about the van attack in Toronto? Look at what he posted. And look at what you posted. I'm not saying at all that you're dangerous. But this guy fed into the bullshit. This rhetoric you're buying into is garbage.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We’ve just obtained this Facebook post from the accused Alek Minassian, suspected in the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/yongeandfinch?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#yongeandfinch</a> mass casualty. Posted early this afternoon. FYI Incel=involuntarily celibate. Elliot Rodger killed 6 ppl at UCSB in 2014 before killing himself <a href="https://twitter.com/globalnewsto?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@globalnewsto</a> <a href="https://t.co/W84xt3D85I">pic.twitter.com/W84xt3D85I</a></p>&mdash; Catherine McDonald (@cmcdonaldglobal) <a href="https://twitter.com/cmcdonaldglobal/status/988564214053654529?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Yes I have read that thread, I am not a reddit poster, but follow a lot of Mgtow stuff. I went to a therapist almost two years ago, and I would never hurt anyone. I have made that perfect clear, just trying to make progress on my own, get back to work, and hope I could see another therapist once I have insurance that would cover it. I would love to see a dating/relationship/sex therapist or dating coach, I don't know how much of a help my previous therapist could be on that stuff.
Old 04-24-18, 12:52 PM

Yes I have read that thread, I am not a reddit poster, but follow a lot of Mgtow stuff. I went to a therapist almost two years ago, and I would never hurt anyone. I have made that perfect clear, just trying to make progress on my own, get back to work, and work on other things along the way. I would love to see a dating/relationship/sex therapist, I don't know how much of a help my previous therapist could be on that stuff.
What kind of job would you want? What is your ideal position and skill set? How active are you in looking? I know you mentioned the government job previously.
Old 04-24-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sent you a message about it Dex.
Old 04-24-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 663 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg View Post
Never heard of incel before. Back when I was younger it was just called being a guy and getting turned down by women. Everyone goes through it. You learn from it. I think a bit less time on the internet and a bit more time outside the house might help a lot of the people in that Reddit.
I find the older I get the less tolerance I have for the apparently expanding "Oh no, poor me" segment of society.
Yeah, all this.
Old 04-24-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
No real pony in this race, but I must admit reading through the last three pages of this thread thinking there must have been some reference to the guy up here in Toronto who drove a van down the sidewalk yesterday. The philosophies about women are rather similar.
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Definitely a case of weird timing between this thread and the events here in Toronto.

It appears this "incel" "movement" is coming under increasing scrutiny from the legitimate press (and indeed, a quick search shows several mainstream outlets are putting these asses front and center). I think a lot of people who previously brushed off such thinking to "white boy disease" are going to realize just how deeply rooted this self-hating and hate-fueled belief really is. Yay internet.

One journalist being interviewed on a talk radio station here is describing the disgusting celebratory postings on the various forums devoted to this "cause" in the wake of yesterday's slaughter. Looks like this vermin is their new hero.

The journalist also mentioned that this "movement" was started by a woman with altruistic intentions, and that many current members are also active on forums and real-life groups devoted to the alt-right. Actually, that last part doesn't really surprise me if it's true.
Old 04-24-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I have read that thread, I am not a reddit poster, but follow a lot of Mgtow stuff.
Stop. Just stop reading that junk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.