Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have a smart front door deadbolt lock?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-22-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which did you get? Do you like?

I want to get a wifi enabled, smart lock for my front door that includes,

-proximity unlocking.
-ability to give others temp access (preferably with a code, so others dont have to have an app or something or have me unlock remotely). And the ability to make the code 1 time use or time usage, or delete that code. Something like that.
-get notices when someone unlocks the door (when I'm out of town).

Since I travel a lot for work, I've given out probably a dozen keys. I've lost track. Which I trust all I gave out too, but I'm afraid they might lose or whatever.

My current set up is a simple key deadbolt and seperate locking knob. So really only need the deadbolt part. But I'd consider replacing all.

Suggestions? Ideas? Issues?
Old 01-22-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Anyone have a smart front door deadbolt lock?

I recently installed two August Smart Locks. Both installed very quickly and use the current outside lock piece of your deadbolt. So no changing keys. The Auto unlock/lock works great but you need to allow the App on your phone to always have location service active; not just when it's open.

I haven't used the guest feature yet but it seems fairly easy. Person downloads the app and you send them an invite to the house.

Minor Dislikes:
1. The Auto lock/unlock feature can only be on for one lock in your house. You can't have more than one with the feature turned on.

2. I bought the August Connect wifi adapter to be able to lock when away if needed. The adapter only works for one lock. So you'd need a wifi adapter for each lock to be able to lock/unlock from a remote location. Note, you do get notifications about the locks without the adapter. It's purely to operate the locks remotely.

All in all, I'm happy I converted but wish I just bought one. I still have to pull out my phone or keys to unlock the front door due to the restrictions on the auto lock. But when I get home from the grocery store with my hands full, it's so nice to be able to just open the back door and walk in. Happy to help with any questions you may have.
Old 01-22-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Issues like hacking? What could go wrong?
Old 01-22-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
There are a lot easier ways to break into a house. In particular my house.

I have zero concerns in that regards (well I'm not saying it couldn't happen, it's just like anything else. If they want in, they are getting in. The issue just getting the bad guy to think there are probably easier marks - besides...a simple motion detector would "solve" the issue).
Old 01-22-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I recently installed two August Smart Locks. Both installed very quickly and use the current outside lock piece of your deadbolt. So no changing keys. The Auto unlock/lock works great but you need to allow the App on your phone to always have location service active; not just when it's open.

I haven't used the guest feature yet but it seems fairly easy. Person downloads the app and you send them an invite to the house.

Minor Dislikes:
1. The Auto lock/unlock feature can only be on for one lock in your house. You can't have more than one with the feature turned on.

2. I bought the August Connect wifi adapter to be able to lock when away if needed. The adapter only works for one lock. So you'd need a wifi adapter for each lock to be able to lock/unlock from a remote location. Note, you do get notifications about the locks without the adapter. It's purely to operate the locks remotely.

All in all, I'm happy I converted but wish I just bought one. I still have to pull out my phone or keys to unlock the front door due to the restrictions on the auto lock. But when I get home from the grocery store with my hands full, it's so nice to be able to just open the back door and walk in. Happy to help with any questions you may have.
Thanks! I only plan on installing one. So it doesn't sound like I'd have any of the issues you mention.

So you use the existing lock? So a key will still open? Kind of wanted to eliminate a key. But probably not a bad idea.
Old 01-22-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. The two I went with are retrofits. You simply take out the two screws which hold the deadbolt together and replace the inside piece with the smart lock. I liked that idea because if you're looking from the outside, you can't tell there's anything different. You see the normal lock/key hole as before.

And yes, the key works normal and you can manually lock from the inside as well. Basically a fail-safe in case the batteries in the unit die. As long as your confident the batteries are still good, there's really no reason to carry a key. The door will auto lock when you leave the designated gps area and re-open when you get back into it.
Old 01-22-18, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Schlage Sense for a Christmas present to myself in 2016 and love it.

-proximity unlocking.

The Sense app doesn't do this from what I can see, but you can set that up through HomeKit (I assume Android has an equivalent, but not sure).

-ability to give others temp access
You can have up to 30 codes, I don't believe you can make them 1 time use, but you can set them up to only work at certain times and days. And you can delete/revoke the code anytime you want.

I get a notification anytime the door is locked or unlocked through HomeKit. You can look in the history on the Schlage app to see who's code was used.

Ideas?
If you're using an iPhone, I'd definitely add it to HomeKit. Works flawlessly, and a nice added feature is being able to simply say "Hey Siri, unlock the door" and have it unlock for you without you having to even open an app.

Issues?
The actual Schlage Sense app is pretty basic, and it's missing some functionality (single use codes, notifications) that would improve it, but other than that, no issues with the lock for me 13 months in.
Old 01-22-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Opps....after watching reviews I may have one issue.

I have Windows on both sides of my door. So my deadbolt is key on both sides so someone can't just break the window and reach in to unlock the door. I leave a key in the inside when home (in case of fire). But take it out when I travel.

Most of these seems to have locking manual locking on the inside. Hummm....Ill have to think about that. Course I have like three sets of sliding glass doors that someone to break and just walk in....soooo....
Old 01-22-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
...Course I have like three sets of sliding glass doors that someone to break and just walk in....soooo....
So, not zombie proof.
Old 01-22-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish I knew what my brother uses because he has the model with a keypad. He set it up so I have my own code to use anytime I need to get in and he is not home, and I do not need to install an app on my android (he uses an iPhone) phone which is convenient for me.

I only use the code when he says go ahead and let yourself in because I might be at his place before he gets home from work and we are meeting for dinner, and he would be notified that the lock has been triggered and could always ping me via facebook messenger to confirm it is me (but I suspect the alert would say someone entered code X1YZ to open the door so he would know it is me even without a video alert...he does not have a door camera set up yet).
Old 01-22-18, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
I got the Schlage Sense for a Christmas present to myself in 2016 and love it.

-proximity unlocking.

The Sense app doesn't do this from what I can see, but you can set that up through HomeKit (I assume Android has an equivalent, but not sure).

-ability to give others temp access
You can have up to 30 codes, I don't believe you can make them 1 time use, but you can set them up to only work at certain times and days. And you can delete/revoke the code anytime you want.

I get a notification anytime the door is locked or unlocked through HomeKit. You can look in the history on the Schlage app to see who's code was used.

Ideas?
If you're using an iPhone, I'd definitely add it to HomeKit. Works flawlessly, and a nice added feature is being able to simply say "Hey Siri, unlock the door" and have it unlock for you without you having to even open an app.

Issues?
The actual Schlage Sense app is pretty basic, and it's missing some functionality (single use codes, notifications) that would improve it, but other than that, no issues with the lock for me 13 months in.
I have a Schlage as well but I went with the Connect instead of the Sense even though I'm on Apple's Ecosystem. I didn't have an Apple TV at the time I mad the purchase and at the time I read the Sense's were more buggy. I have it set up through SmartThings and while I can unlock with my phone and do code through the phone it doesn't have proximity opening lik I think Sense does.
Old 01-22-18, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
I wish I knew what my brother uses because he has the model with a keypad. He set it up so I have my own code to use anytime I need to get in and he is not home, and I do not need to install an app on my android (he uses an iPhone) phone which is convenient for me.

I only use the code when he says go ahead and let yourself in because I might be at his place before he gets home from work and we are meeting for dinner, and he would be notified that the lock has been triggered and could always ping me via facebook messenger to confirm it is me (but I suspect the alert would say someone entered code X1YZ to open the door so he would know it is me even without a video alert...he does not have a door camera set up yet).
The keypad locks are a good option as well. I wanted one specifically so I could get in without any extra steps so opted for the Smart Lock. But if you just want to avoid a key, keypad is a good way to go.
Old 01-22-18, 01:14 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

One option you might consider is an In-Home Delivery kit from Amazon, which includes a smart lock, a security camera, and installation all for $250. You have the option to replace or keep your deadbolt. You have to be an Amazon Prime member.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-22-18, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the schlage connect paired to a wink hub, simple for the kids and the wife now realizes how easy it is to give out "keys" plus not bumbling around for a physical key to open or close the door.
Old 01-22-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
One option you might consider is an In-Home Delivery kit from Amazon, which includes a smart lock, a security camera, and installation all for $250. You have the option to replace or keep your deadbolt. You have to be an Amazon Prime member.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KCYQGXE/
Well that's pretty cool....
Old 01-22-18, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's cool if you're OK with Amazon delivery having access to your house.
Old 01-22-18, 02:16 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Even if you get this kit, you can opt-out of letting Amazon deliver inside your home. In that case, they will deliver the usual way.
Old 01-22-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's cool if you're OK with Amazon delivery having access to your house.
Well that's one point of having a smart lock. Can can allow temporary access IF YOU WANT without giving a key or leaving a key, etc

You can decide on your own if a good idea to say let a repair person, or cleaning people in when your not home.

But that's a total optional feature on all smart locks. And any access given can be taken away just as easy,
Old 01-22-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Minor Dislikes:

There are quite a few amazon customers complaining that the unlock feature either doesn't work, or takes 30-45 seconds to work. Do you think this would be due to NOT having location services enabled?

Have you also tested it with Bluetooth?
Old 01-22-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
There are quite a few amazon customers complaining that the unlock feature either doesn't work, or takes 30-45 seconds to work. Do you think this would be due to NOT having location services enabled?

Have you also tested it with Bluetooth?
Could be. When my wife first set it up she only had it set to use location when the app was open. So the auto unlock wouldn't work for her until she opened the app. Now that she has it working, I hear the door unlock right around when she pulls into the driveway. It'll then stay unlocked for 2.5 min (i think) before it will lock itself.

Without that feature on, opening the app and "manually" unlocking it has worked. I do that with my front door since both can't auto. Unlock it via the app as I'm walking up the lawn.
Old 01-22-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A cop once gave me this advice:

Buy the biggest metal dog dish you can find.
Bang it up with a lot of dents.
Paint the name KILLER on it.
Put it on your porch.
Old 01-22-18, 04:38 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I use my key. Easy pleasy.
Old 01-22-18, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Burglars and hacking don't really go along with each other. Most burglaries are opportunists and they pick your home based on what they think is inside, and not if you're locks are internet enabled or not. I don't think these locks are conspicuously labeled that they are operated via internet or wi-fi (such as SMARTLOCK on the outside--least I hope not), so a burglar would have to be literally up close, already at your home, reading to break in with a tool to bust it and the door.

Gonna side with Sdallnct on this. The convenience, and even more safety, can be realized with such a lock. Especially in emergency situations where you need to allow access to a known person, and you cannot possibly get a key to them in time. And if you have an alarm system as well...the benefits stand out to me.

Also, if there is a redundancy system or a another tier of security where you enter in a secondary password, so that if a hack was to occur, it would set the home alarm system off due to the secondary password not being entered--the hacker would probably not know this (and now we're looking at how much time a hacker would be at your home, figuring it out...just don't see the amount of dedicated time a tech burglar would utilize here unless you have a mansion and if so...you'll have more security anyway).

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-22-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, a "pro" can open any regular Kwikset or Schlage lock in 30 seconds.

Sleep tight!
Old 01-22-18, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
A cop once gave me this advice:

Buy the biggest metal dog dish you can find.
Bang it up with a lot of dents.
Paint the name KILLER on it.
Put it on your porch.
Good advice, cheap, and it'll keep the kids out. And remember to name your SSID "FBI Surveillance Van" as well.

Why not just leave a key in a very inconsipcous place, and only let "those in the know" use it, for emergencies or otherwise? That'll cover 99% of your problems right there, including those times when you lock yourself out, and the power goes out and your fancy, high-tech "smart" deadbolt unlocker is good for a doorstep.

Things are getting so complicated these days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.