Reload this Page >

Bat in a bucket, boy in a coma (Florida) UPDATE: Boy Dead

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 01-14-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 386 Likes on 186 Posts

This is just so fucked up and stupid on so many levels I can't even begin to comprehend it.

https://www.today.com/health/florida...l-cure-t121168

It started with a bat in a bucket and a curious 6-year-old boy.

Now that boy, Ryker Roque, is being kept under anesthesia in an Orlando hospital in a desperate bid to save him from the deadliest virus there is: rabies.

If Ryker Roque lives, he will be only the third child in the U.S. to survive rabies, which is almost always fatal.

But the family is trying an experimental technique they hope will help Ryker survive the terrible infection.

It started when Ryker's father, Henry Roque, found a sick bat.

"(I) found a bat, put it in a little bucket, put it on the porch and I had asked my son, 'don't touch it under any circumstances'," Roque told NBC News.

"So, apparently he put his hand in there and touched it and he said it only scratched him, so I frantically googled it real quick and it says to wash his hands with soap, hot water for five minutes."

They knew they should have taken Ryker for immediate medical attention but relented when Ryker cried at the thought of getting shots.

A week later, Ryker complained of numb fingers and a headache. Henry feared he'd hit his head while playing and rushed him to the hospital.

When Henry Roque mentioned the bat, doctors became alarmed. "I mean, alarms, bells, whistles went off," he said.

"They went frantically looking for the other doctors to tell them that it was a bat and how severe it was. And then they all came in. We had a conference and they explained to me that it's almost always lethal."

Rabies can be prevented if someone is vaccinated before they start developing symptoms. But once symptoms start to show, the disease has spread to the brain and is virtually impossible to stop.

But with one treatment, the odds are better.

The treatment, called the Milwaukee protocol, has saved two other children in the U.S. and 18 people around the world, says its inventor, Dr. Rodney Willoughby of Children's Hospital of Wisconsin.

The latest survivor is a 14-year-old boy in Manaus, Brazil, Willoughby confirmed. “There’s a survivor in Brazil from two days ago,” he said.

Willoughby said he cannot comment on Ryker’s case but said he regularly consults with medical teams trying to save rabies victims around the world.

“Usually you're dead within three days of seeking medical care," Willoughby said.

Willoughby, a pediatrician, studied the infection for years.

“It looked like most people died in the first week from the brain actually killing the body,” Willoughby told NBC News. “It would, for example, stop you from breathing or in many cases stop the heart from beating.”

His team had the idea of stopping the brain from killing the patient.

“We can shut down the brain while you have surgery. We can also shut it down while you have rabies,” he said.

The first person saved this way was Jeanna Giese, who was 15 in 2004 when she developed rabies. Willoughby’s protocol, which included sedation and treatment with antiviral drugs, cured her.

“She’s doing wonderfully,” Willoughby said. “She never even missed a school year.”

Giese even overcame the damage done to her brain by the virus.

“She’s married, she had twin children,” he said. “She’s doing so well I never hear from her.”

Any hospital that can treat serious conditions should be able to treat someone with rabies, Willoughby said. “You just have to have the stamina to do it for two weeks,” he said.

He estimates he’s consulted on about 80 cases globally, with the 18 survivors to show for it.

Any mammal can get rabies, and the disease causes horrible symptoms as the virus attacks the nervous system. It can make an animal aggressive and violent and can cause severe pain. Victims eventually fall into a coma and die when they can no longer breathe properly.

Globally, the World Health Organization says 55,000 people die of rabies every year, with dogs the source of 99 percent of these fatal bites.

People can survive if vaccinated immediately after a bite or other exposure to rabies. But the few U.S. cases are usually in children who have been bitten by bats and either do not realize they were bitten — bats have tiny teeth — or are unable to say so.

“Rabies is probably the worst disease I have ever seen,” Willoughby said. In people, it causes spasms and agitation. “You know you are going to die,” he said.

The treatment is lengthy and takes time but is not painful.

“Under treatment, we are sedating. They have no sense of pain. They have no recollection of the event,” he said.

“It’s critical care and that’s expensive.”

Rabies vaccine supplies are tight in the U.S., so people cannot get a vaccine unless they have been exposed, usually via an animal bite, or have a high risk of bites.

“It’s almost never too late to take shots if you have had a real exposure to an animal,” Willoughby said.

Ryker's dad, Henry Roque, hopes his son will beat the odds.

"I told him, 'it's going to be okay buddy. Loook buddy, it's going to be okay. I'm going to be right here waiting for you'."

Well, at the very least, I guess after this his bonehead parents don't have to worry about him crying over getting shots. I'm digusted with humanity tonight.
Old 01-14-18, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts
re: Bat in a bucket, boy in a coma (Florida) UPDATE: Boy Dead

Wow! "My boy doesn't want shots, so we're going to kowtow to his wishes instead of forcing them upon him to save his life!"

That'll teach all those child abusers out there who are so abusing their kids by giving them shots!

Disgusting. And who will foot the bill for the kid's very expensive medical treatment? Yeah, you and I who are "contributing" our share under Obamacare. Yes, indeed! All's right with the world now.
Old 01-14-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Wow! "My boy doesn't want shots, so we're going to kowtow to his wishes instead of forcing them upon him to save his life!"

That'll teach all those child abusers out there who are so abusing their kids by giving them shots!

Disgusting. And who will foot the bill for the kid's very expensive medical treatment? Yeah, you and I who are "contributing" our share under Obamacare. Yes, indeed! All's right with the world now.
I'll skip paying my insurance premium this month so the kid can die, if that helps! 😜
Old 01-14-18, 09:45 PM
Admin

Received 296 Likes on 190 Posts

I wonder if they were one of the anti vaccination families that are out and about in the public these days?
Old 01-14-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hot water for 5 minutes is more painful than a shot.

Old 01-14-18, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who brings a sick wild animal into the house? And who listens to their child when they refuse to go to the hospital?

Does anybody know anything more about who this father is?

I found one Henry Roque from Miami online...not a common name, and he's from this area. I hope this is not him. If it is, no excuse to be a moron. This guy is an attorney with a speciality in healthcare and life sciences.
Old 01-14-18, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 426 Likes on 315 Posts

Um ... you do understand how insurance is supposed to work, right?
Old 01-14-18, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 426 Likes on 315 Posts

In other news ... Patient Zero for the impending zombie apocalypse has been identified.

I wonder if he had gotten a flu shot though.
Old 01-14-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 305 Likes on 175 Posts

Why did the man put a sick bat in a little bucket on his porch? That's what I want to know.

The last time I found a sick bat, I smacked it dead with a shovel.

Then I scooped it up with the shovel and put it in the garbage.

I just can't imagine what the man thought he was going to do with a sick bat. Nurse it back to health?
Old 01-15-18, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 546 Posts

"Bat in a Bucket, Boy in a Coma" sounds like the title of an 80s new wave album.
Old 01-15-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The little guy died yesterday.
Old 01-15-18, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Many, many items are "preventable" yet we don't deny services. The fire department will still show up just because you left a pot on the stove.

Also the dig at Obamacare is pointless and not correct. Assuming insurance covers this experimental treatment (most do not) that is the very nature of insurance. Everyone pays a little so no one doesn't have to pay a lot. And if claims are unexpectedly high, rates go up. That has zero to do with Obamacare. It was that way before the ACA and is that way with auto and home insurance (which is not effected by the ACA).

And if it's not covered by insurance and the hospital goes ahead and does the procedure (which they may be required to since this is life threatening) and the family can't pay then the hospital and Dr's will raise their rates to cover their loss. Which mean insurance premiums go up. Again, nothing to do with the ACA.
Old 01-15-18, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
That is sad...
Old 01-15-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.gofundme.com/ryker-roques-medical-bills
Old 01-15-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have such mixed feelings about this. The child didn't deserve to die, of course. But, day-um that was bad parenting.

I'm expecting the next chapter to be the family suing the doctors.
Old 01-15-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Re: Bat in a bucket, boy in a coma (Florida)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
"Bat in a Bucket, Boy in a Coma" sounds like the title of an 80s new wave album.
I'm glad we're all having fun!

When I was 4-or-so, my sister approached a beaver (?, I honestly forget what it was). Pest control came and shot it, and that was their assumption as-to why she was able to walk up to it, and it didn't move for hours. So I've been pretty well aware of what rabies is my whole life. Not something to take a chance with.
Old 01-15-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 446 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: Bat in a bucket, boy in a coma (Florida) UPDATE: Boy Dead

The kid should not have to pay for his father's stupidity. Charge the father with a crime.
Old 01-15-18, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow I had no idea only 3 kids have survived rabies in the US. I used to always hear it was curable with the painful shot regimen.

Edit: Oh now I see that it's only considered contracting rabies when the symptoms develop.
Old 01-15-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 489 Likes on 322 Posts

That's sad.

I knew about rabies by the time I was four, and had heard that bats have rabies by the time I was six. I guess poor Ryker will have to be an object lesson for young parents who aren't aware of how dangerous rabies is.
Old 01-15-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 742 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
That's sad.

I knew about rabies by the time I was four, and had heard that bats have rabies by the time I was six. I guess poor Ryker will have to be an object lesson for young parents who aren't aware of how dangerous rabies is.
When I was a kid, the fear of god was instilled in us about rabies because if you got bitten by a stray cat or dog, you'd need to get twenty shots in the stomach with a foot long needle.

I'm guessing you're old enough to remember that.

Now it's just four or five regular shots, but I still avoid stray dogs.
Old 01-15-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Wow I had no idea only 3 kids have survived rabies in the US. I used to always hear it was curable with the painful shot regimen.

Edit: Oh now I see that it's only considered contracting rabies when the symptoms develop.
Yeah, the trick is to not get sick with rabies in the first place.

It's weird how it works. Rabies virus travels through the nervous system, not the blood. So, it's slow. The rabies vaccine works through the blood, so it stimulates antibody production that gets to the brain before the virus does.

It's one very few vaccines that can actually be used to prevent illness AFTER exposure to the virus.
Old 01-15-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Vib brings the fun...
Old 01-15-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bat in a bucket, boy in a coma (Florida)

https://www.gofundme.com/ryker-roques-medical-bills
I don't have any sympathy for that family. Sorry for the kid's loss, but the parents should be fixed so they can never reproduce again and should bear the entire cost of his medical bills and funeral costs.
Old 01-15-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 815 Likes on 568 Posts

Yeah, those people can fuck right off with their go fund me page.
Old 01-15-18, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Why did the man put a sick bat in a little bucket on his porch? That's what I want to know.

The last time I found a sick bat, I smacked it dead with a shovel.

Then I scooped it up with the shovel and put it in the garbage.

I just can't imagine what the man thought he was going to do with a sick bat. Nurse it back to health?
To be fair, I would hope my intelligent but kind to nature self would have enough sense not to physically touch a bat no matter how tempted I might be, but I have picked up pigeons that were hurt to try and nurse them back to health (or at least die in peace without being squished by a car rolling over them as it enters a driveway, etc.). I have also squeezed a cats jaws open to release a lizard, and I even nursed a field mouse to health.

In the case of the mouse I found it in some dirty water near a drain that leads water to the wash behind my parents house, and it looked like a cat had poked a hole in the mouse. I put the mouse into a mini cage filled with wood shavings (leftover from hamster materials), gave it some water and food and when it finally got to the point where it was strong enough to constantly hook its claws over the edge of the cage I took the cage to a field behind the wash and tipped it over to release the mouse.

I know that bats could be dangerous so I would hope something in the back of my head would sound a siren to not touch a bat, but this story is just so profoundly sad (and the portion about the parents giving in to not getting the kid shots...even I would not wish this on an anti-vaxxer and I typically think those folks are dangerously ignorant on the subject of vacinations.).

ETA: I probably used a piece of paper to push the mouse into the cage and do not remember ever physically touching it, so my mind probably cued me in not to touch due to potential of being scratched/bit by a wild animal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.