DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-12-18, 01:23 AM   #1
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Iceland

From what I've read, you need a work permit to move to Iceland. And it's hard to get one if you're from a country like America. You need special skills that no other Icelander could fill, in general.

But I have a friend who insists it's easier than that. He's actually thinking about taking a one-way flight to Iceland and never returning-just becoming a permanent illegal immigrant.

But what challenges would that present? Finding a place to live and work? And if caught, would they deport you?

I would think if it were that easy, a lot more people would have done it. And I know people have done it...but they have the job skills required or have a ton of money and are basically permanent tourists.

Could an average person move to Iceland that easily? At least with as much ease as he perceives illegal immigrants move here?
Old 01-12-18, 05:56 AM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Moving to Iceland

Iceland’s tiny population and extremely low crime rate makes me think it would be difficulty to find illegal work.

Beautiful country to visit, though.
Old 01-12-18, 06:17 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

The economy is small. I'd imagine it's like finding a job in a very small town. He's got to have some kind of special skill, right? "Having a special skill" might be like that "shoulder pain" I have to get my MMJ card.

It is common for people to visit a country and then get stuck there for many years. I know a guy who did that in NZ (yea, poor bastard, I kind of envy him). He and his wife went on an extended vacation, ran out of money, and more-or-less became permanent residents. You're supposed to leave and return to keep your passport up to date. But when you're making $10/hr, that doesn't happen.
Old 01-12-18, 10:59 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

I heard that Iceland is crazy expensive. But plane tickets can be cheap ($250 return from Montreal about a month ago).
Old 01-12-18, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I heard that Iceland is crazy expensive. But plane tickets can be cheap ($250 return from Montreal about a month ago).
Yeah, I was talking to somebody who booked travel to Europe going through Iceland just because the overall price was much much cheaper than a direct flight.
Old 01-12-18, 11:41 AM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Flying to Iceland is really cheap via WOW airlines and Norwegian - out of LAX. WOW, since it's an Icelandic carrier, offers direct flights. I was thinking of going sometime this year, but it is very expensive there, so we'll see.
Old 01-12-18, 12:25 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wasn't there a similar thread to this not less than 2 years back? I swear I've heard this before maybe it maybe it was in the thread on another board though but it sounds so familiar.
Old 01-12-18, 12:46 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

I know a couple of odd facts about Iceland. Education is subsidized, so advanced degrees are commonplace. Almost everyone is descended from the original settlers, so they're all cousins to each other.

Does your friend expect to be employed? I can't imagine that it would be easy to get a job when all the other candidates have PhDs and are relatives of the boss.
Old 01-12-18, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I know a couple of odd facts about Iceland. Education is subsidized, so advanced degrees are commonplace. Almost everyone is descended from the original settlers, so they're all cousins to each other.
That probably explains the weird naming convention.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 01-12-18, 01:48 PM   #10
Somewhat Banned

Quote:

Does your friend expect to be employed? I can't imagine that it would be easy to get a job when all the other candidates have PhDs and are relatives of the boss.

It always amuses me to hear about people who think they can easily just move to a different country and get a job. I've worked with a lot of Americans who think they could just move up to Canada to live and start working if they wanted to. Ummm, no you can't.
Old 01-12-18, 01:58 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

If an American politician proposed we make our immigration laws to be just like Iceland would he be called racist?

Discuss
Old 01-12-18, 02:26 PM   #12
DVD Talk God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post

It always amuses me to hear about people who think they can easily just move to a different country and get a job. I've worked with a lot of Americans who think they could just move up to Canada to live and start working if they wanted to. Ummm, no you can't.
But the reverse is true. Dan just moved down here and took one of our American jobs!
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 01-12-18, 02:27 PM   #13
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
But the reverse is true. Dan just moved down here and took one of our American jobs!

BTW: I have one year left. Might get extended 2 more, if I'm lucky. After that...

no mas. Back to the tundra of the great white north (likely without a job...)

(unless I get PR here...)

Last edited by Dan; 01-12-18 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 03:09 PM   #14
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Damn Canucks sneaking into the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

BTW: I have one year left. Might get extended 2 more, if I'm lucky. After that...

no mas. Back to the tundra of the great white north (likely without a job...)

(unless I get PR here...)
Hope things work out for you sir. You were in Alberta correct? I heard that job prospects aren't great there right now. I know that it's like that in my neck of the woods (Southern Ontario). Luckily I have a job in the US (calm down folks, it's ok, I have citizenship! )
Old 01-12-18, 07:31 PM   #15
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:

I think if you were a blogger or you were self employed in someway and only needed the internet to do your job you would be ok. Otherwise I doubt it would be easy to find employment there.

Pros:

Less crime
European culture
Quiet
Beautiful Scenery
Great if you like ice fishing

Cons:

Not everyone would speak English
Goods would be expensive
High tax Rates
6 months of very short daylight followed by 6 months of very little night sky.
Most everyone smokes and drinks to excess.
Difficult to find employment
Cold
It would be hard to find a restaurant that served much else but fish
Choices for shopping and restaurants would be limited.
You would be an outsider as most everyone decended from the original settlers and may not all speak English
Old 01-12-18, 08:25 PM   #16
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

Hope things work out for you sir. You were in Alberta correct? I heard that job prospects aren't great there right now. I know that it's like that in my neck of the woods (Southern Ontario). Luckily I have a job in the US (calm down folks, it's ok, I have citizenship! )
Thanks! A little secret:
Spoiler:
I love this country!

Regarding Alberta, I get emails every week from LinkedIn saying there are THOUSANDS of new jobs. It's all bullshit. Things are rough, and they're getting pretty bad up there. Folks still with jobs (especially in O&G) are very talented and also very lucky.
Old 01-12-18, 09:07 PM   #17
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I think there are still employment opportunities in your area, if people are willing to do the work. Or at least that's the impression I get from Stompin' Tom.

Old 01-12-18, 09:11 PM   #18
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I think there are still employment opportunities in your area, if people are willing to do the work. Or at least that's the impression I get from Stompin' Tom.
Heh, maybe it's heresy to say so, but I'm a Canadian who doesn't give a fig about Stompin' Tom.

Seriously, I live in a small podunk border town that totally sucks for jobs. If I wasn't able to work in the US (which is a 10 minute drive from my house) I would have moved from here a long time ago.
Old 01-12-18, 09:40 PM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Heh, maybe it's heresy to say so, but I'm a Canadian who doesn't give a fig about Stompin' Tom.

Seriously, I live in a small podunk border town that totally sucks for jobs. If I wasn't able to work in the US (which is a 10 minute drive from my house) I would have moved from here a long time ago.
I grew up in the hinterland of upstate NY, right on the Canadian border near Cornwall--so I understand podunk border towns . For us growing up, Canada was the sophisticated urban center. I don't know, there's both good and bad in both small towns and bigger cities.
Old 01-12-18, 09:51 PM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

I noticed that you specified an American job but didn’t specify AMERICAN citizenship ...

Old 01-12-18, 09:53 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
So ... you’re saying “a special set of skills” could just be bringing new genes to the pool ...
Old 01-12-18, 09:55 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I think if you were a blogger or you were self employed in someway and only needed the internet to do your job you would be ok. Otherwise I doubt it would be easy to find employment there.

Pros:

Less crime
European culture
Quiet
Beautiful Scenery
Great if you like ice fishing

Cons:

Not everyone would speak English
Goods would be expensive
High tax Rates
6 months of very short daylight followed by 6 months of very little night sky.
Most everyone smokes and drinks to excess.
Difficult to find employment
Cold
It would be hard to find a restaurant that served much else but fish
Choices for shopping and restaurants would be limited.
You would be an outsider as most everyone decended from the original settlers and may not all speak English
Maybe I’m sinking back to a dark place again ... about 80% of your cons actually sound like pros to me. Where do I sign up?
Old 01-12-18, 10:01 PM   #23
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
I don't know, there's both good and bad in both small towns and bigger cities.
You're absolutely right, in some ways I feel lucky that I live in a nice, safe, friendly little Canadian small town, but I'm 10 minutes away from a decent sized US city (Buffalo) and less than 90 minutes away from the fourth largest city in North America (Toronto, I visit there a lot, just can't afford to live there anymore). Best of both worlds I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I noticed that you specified an American job but didn’t specify AMERICAN citizenship ...

American citizenship, honest! My mom was born in the US, so I had an in.
Old 01-12-18, 10:52 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

And that's what I am trying to tell my friend. I love the guy like a brother. That's one reason I decided to come here...maybe get a POV to present to him that I didn't think of. I'd hate to see him make a decision that he'd later regret.

His plan is literally to just buy a one way ticket to Iceland (as others have pointed it, it's relatively cheap) and just stay there. Never come back. Forget going around the legal ways to immigrate, and harder ways.

I just can't imagine it's that easy. He points out how he doesn't have that much here. Yeah, here he's an overnight gas station clerk. Not a stellar job. But still lives in one of the nicest suburbs of Kansas City and in a nice home (with his girlfriend and their kids.) Seems to beat trying to live off the grid in the country side of a cold, dark foreign country. It's not like he could walk into a business there and get a job day one.

To him, it's because of the state of politics in this country. He's tired of Trump, afraid what will happen if he gets 8 years, afraid of what will happen if he doesn't (he imagines America will turn into Beirut if Trump is impeached and removed forcibly from office because he thinks his followers will take up arms and start a civil war.)

I told him to stop listening to all the fear mongering pundits on CNN.

To him, this one way ticket to Iceland is his way out and he thinks it will be easy to integrate into the country. He also thinks they won't deport him if found because he's from America and that's not a country they are trying to stop from immigrating there.

Last edited by calhoun07; 01-12-18 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 12:04 AM   #25
Somewhat Banned

Just curious, how old is he? Because I can see where he's coming from in a way, when I was in my twenties I felt that I had nothing going on in my life, wasn't happy and just imagined if I moved somewhere halfway across the globe I could just have a fresh start and everything would be peachy. I seriously considered it at times. Now that I'm older I think of all the logistics, legalities, etc. involved and realize that it would have been extremely difficult to pull off. And also, again just curious, why did he decide on Iceland? Cheap flight?