Old 01-13-18, 12:33 AM   #26
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Moving to Iceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Thanks! A little secret:
Spoiler:
I love this country!

Regarding Alberta, I get emails every week from LinkedIn saying there are THOUSANDS of new jobs. It's all bullshit. Things are rough, and they're getting pretty bad up there. Folks still with jobs (especially in O&G) are very talented and also very lucky.
I'm probably trippin' but are you not in Florida currently? Have you just gotten addicted to blow or something?

I could be way off base here ....
Old 01-13-18, 12:53 AM   #27
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

In Texas for two years now. Never lived in Florida, but I did go to Disneyworld once.
Old 01-13-18, 01:45 AM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
You're absolutely right, in some ways I feel lucky that I live in a nice, safe, friendly little Canadian small town, but I'm 10 minutes away from a decent sized US city (Buffalo) and less than 90 minutes away from the fourth largest city in North America (Toronto, I visit there a lot, just can't afford to live there anymore). Best of both worlds I guess.

American citizenship, honest! My mom was born in the US, so I had an in.
Sounds like the 'Dreary.'
Old 01-13-18, 02:02 AM   #29
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
And that's what I am trying to tell my friend. I love the guy like a brother. That's one reason I decided to come here...maybe get a POV to present to him that I didn't think of. I'd hate to see him make a decision that he'd later regret.

His plan is literally to just buy a one way ticket to Iceland (as others have pointed it, it's relatively cheap) and just stay there. Never come back. Forget going around the legal ways to immigrate, and harder ways.

I just can't imagine it's that easy. He points out how he doesn't have that much here. Yeah, here he's an overnight gas station clerk. Not a stellar job. But still lives in one of the nicest suburbs of Kansas City and in a nice home (with his girlfriend and their kids.) Seems to beat trying to live off the grid in the country side of a cold, dark foreign country. It's not like he could walk into a business there and get a job day one.

To him, it's because of the state of politics in this country. He's tired of Trump, afraid what will happen if he gets 8 years, afraid of what will happen if he doesn't (he imagines America will turn into Beirut if Trump is impeached and removed forcibly from office because he thinks his followers will take up arms and start a civil war.)

I told him to stop listening to all the fear mongering pundits on CNN.

To him, this one way ticket to Iceland is his way out and he thinks it will be easy to integrate into the country. He also thinks they won't deport him if found because he's from America and that's not a country they are trying to stop from immigrating there.
I think your friend might be very depressed. It's one thing to want to take a random trip to a beautiful place you've never been, but what he's talking about is... different. It will not go as he expects.

Plus, buying a one way ticket is a big red flag. They'll stop him and ask him questions and when his answers are bad, they'll deport him with no chance of returning.

I'm not sure what you can tell him that will change his mind about all this... But yeah... He should not try to illegally move to a foreign country.

Get him to watch one of those Border Protection shows on Netflix or something. There's no Iceland show, but border guards aren't dumb. They'll see through him.

Last edited by Dan; 01-13-18 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-13-18, 05:22 AM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Have you accepted to be a penguin for the rest of your life? It does look amazing.

Old 01-13-18, 09:15 AM   #31
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
And also, again just curious, why did he decide on Iceland? Cheap flight?
Might be because Icelandair just announced direct flights from Kansas City.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 01-13-18, 11:17 AM   #32
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Sounds like the 'Dreary.'
Heh, yep, little town right next to it.

Quote:

Plus, buying a one way ticket is a big red flag. They'll stop him and ask him questions and when his answers are bad, they'll deport him with no chance of returning.
Good point, I didn't think of that. Pretty sure most immigration officers at the airport these days won't even let you into a country unless you have a ticket showing you will be leaving, unless you have a really good excuse.
Old 01-13-18, 11:24 AM   #33
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
I'm probably trippin' but are you not in Florida currently? Have you just gotten addicted to blow or something?

I could be way off base here ....
Come on man, keep up with the life stories of your fellow otters.
Old 01-13-18, 01:04 PM   #34
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Come on man, keep up with the life stories of your fellow otters.
Hey, I was pretty close! To this PACNW kid, Texas is just as outlandish as Florida ... with slightly less bath salts and stuff, I guess.
Old 01-14-18, 04:09 PM   #35
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I think if you were a blogger or you were self employed in someway and only needed the internet to do your job you would be ok. Otherwise I doubt it would be easy to find employment there.

Pros:

Less crime
European culture
Quiet
Beautiful Scenery
Great if you like ice fishing

Cons:

Not everyone would speak English
Goods would be expensive
High tax Rates
6 months of very short daylight followed by 6 months of very little night sky.
Most everyone smokes and drinks to excess.
Difficult to find employment
Cold
It would be hard to find a restaurant that served much else but fish
Choices for shopping and restaurants would be limited.
You would be an outsider as most everyone decended from the original settlers and may not all speak English
I’d wager they all speak English, or nearly all. In the Scandinavian countries the schools typically require each student to learn the native language, but then with the awareness that fuck-all nobody else on the planet speaks that language, they require you to learn two more, and one of those is nearly almost English.

That’s how it is in Sweden. Typically every person knows Swedish, English, and one other, typically German or French.
Old 01-14-18, 04:36 PM   #36

Two points:

1. Your friend needs counseling.

2. When American politicians try to enforce laws such as Icelands, they're called racists (as mentioned and ignored earlier). Fucking liberals.
Old 01-14-18, 06:04 PM   #37
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
From what I've read, you need a work permit to move to Iceland. And it's hard to get one if you're from a country like America. You need special skills that no other Icelander could fill, in general.

But I have a friend who insists it's easier than that. He's actually thinking about taking a one-way flight to Iceland and never returning-just becoming a permanent illegal immigrant.

But what challenges would that present? Finding a place to live and work? And if caught, would they deport you?

I would think if it were that easy, a lot more people would have done it. And I know people have done it...but they have the job skills required or have a ton of money and are basically permanent tourists.

Could an average person move to Iceland that easily? At least with as much ease as he perceives illegal immigrants move here?
Well, I would imagine there are many jobs that illegal immigrants can do that Icelanders don't want to do because the pay/work is not what they want.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 01-14-18, 08:25 PM   #38
Somewhat Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by montag View Post

2. When American politicians try to enforce laws such as Icelands, they're called racists (as mentioned and ignored earlier). Fucking liberals.
It's a shame that you haven't posted here more frequently over the past seventeen years.
Old 01-14-18, 09:50 PM   #39
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ Agreed, montag your posts are welcome and yes, you really know how to seperate the bullshit from the hard truth. More people (ie, non-PC liberals of this nanny state / country) need to step up to the plate. And no, I'm not talking about Trump, who is a total buffoon and megalomaniac. It's probably too late for any real work to be done, as we're so mired in offending each other that nothing CAN be done.

And, OP, tell your friend that he needs to grow up and face the music. Moving to Iceland is a "grass is always greener on the other side" romantic, idealistic notion, and it is fallacious thinking.
Old 01-14-18, 11:18 PM   #40
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I’d wager they all speak English, or nearly all. In the Scandinavian countries the schools typically require each student to learn the native language, but then with the awareness that fuck-all nobody else on the planet speaks that language, they require you to learn two more, and one of those is nearly almost English.

That’s how it is in Sweden. Typically every person knows Swedish, English, and one other, typically German or French.
Many may KNOW how to speak English, but that doesn't mean they WILL speak English just because they know an American is in their presence.
Old 01-14-18, 11:49 PM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Just curious, how old is he? Because I can see where he's coming from in a way, when I was in my twenties I felt that I had nothing going on in my life, wasn't happy and just imagined if I moved somewhere halfway across the globe I could just have a fresh start and everything would be peachy. I seriously considered it at times. Now that I'm older I think of all the logistics, legalities, etc. involved and realize that it would have been extremely difficult to pull off. And also, again just curious, why did he decide on Iceland? Cheap flight?
He's pushing 50, like me. We are actually the same age.

And for a lot of reasons, it would be easier to plan when somebody is young and single.

He's not married, but he's been with his girlfriend for going on 20 years and they have three kids. The youngest one just started kindergarten.

So unless he's planning to leave his family behind, which from what he's saying he's not, then he plans on one way tickets for himself, his girlfriend, and all three kids. And somehow land in Iceland, find affordable housing for them all, and get a job to support them.

I cannot wrap my head around what the f he's thinking.

He's always fantasized about this. It became ignited for him when direct flights from our local airport were announced to Iceland.

Quote:
I think your friend might be very depressed. It's one thing to want to take a random trip to a beautiful place you've never been, but what he's talking about is... different. It will not go as he expects.

I'm not sure what you can tell him that will change his mind about all this... But yeah... He should not try to illegally move to a foreign country.

Get him to watch one of those Border Protection shows on Netflix or something. There's no Iceland show, but border guards aren't dumb. They'll see through him.
I agree on all your points.

Could be depression. Winter months always does him in. But if he's this depressed in a Kansas winter, how would he fare in a country where the nights are even longer during the winter months?

Yeah, I feel like there's nothing I can say to change his mind, either. It may be something he has to learn the hardway. There may be jobs for illegal immigrants there, just like there are here, but to support three kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
And, OP, tell your friend that he needs to grow up and face the music. Moving to Iceland is a "grass is always greener on the other side" romantic, idealistic notion, and it is fallacious thinking.
I will try. But for now both his girlfriend and one of his best friends are posting articles about moving to a foreign country on their Facebook timelines. He's infecting them with this pie in the sky BS.
Old 01-15-18, 12:10 AM   #42
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I agree on all your points.

Could be depression. Winter months always does him in. But if he's this depressed in a Kansas winter, how would he fare in a country where the nights are even longer during the winter months?

Yeah, I feel like there's nothing I can say to change his mind, either. It may be something he has to learn the hardway. There may be jobs for illegal immigrants there, just like there are here, but to support three kids?
Yeah man... people don't always fully get it, but winters further north are no joke. Where I'm from, in the winter, I could go a full work week without seeing the sun since it would rise after I got to work and set before I left the office for the night. Lucky for me, I never really got the "winter blues" but it's absolutely a real thing and... winters in Iceland, though? He's going to have a rough time since it's even shorter than that... especially if, as you say, winter months always affect him. Plus, summer up there is no joke, either. Looks like they get a full month of almost entirely "no dark" like Alaska.

And, as you said, immigrating (as a foreigner) with a girlfriend (not a wife*) and three kids... that's not going to go as he thinks. Even if he manages to 'trick' the border guards (he won't), everything else you said applies; he has to find housing and an illegal job (paying barely any cash) and won't be able to sustain that.

It's an insanely bad idea, and I hope he realizes it before he makes any big mistakes.

I don't have any advice, though. Like I said... it sounds like he needs to see someone. That's the biggest takeaway I have from what you've said about him.

*just a quick thing on this... some countries are very strict about distinguishing between girlfriends/wives that immigrate with you. That is, if he was trying to do it legally... which he isn't, but thought I'd point that out. It's just another red flag that will surely get him pulled for questioning, and when he doesn't have sufficient answers, they'll deport him.
Old 01-15-18, 01:16 AM   #43
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I feel like there's nothing I can say to change his mind, either. It may be something he has to learn the hard way.
Yes. Sometimes people learn the hard way.
Old 01-15-18, 01:28 AM   #44
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget to add "son" to your last name.

Or "dóttir", if you're a girl.

PSN tag: spacemunky49
Old 01-15-18, 01:32 AM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Rather than find a job there, his best bet would probably be finding a job with a US company that would let him telecommute. That way he wouldn’t have to deal with language barriers or residency issues.
Old 01-15-18, 04:43 AM   #46
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno, man. Sounds like you're just going to have to let this one go, and have him learn a very hard and bitter lesson about Life. I'd say he is seriously depressed, but it might just be a mid-life crisis that may come to a positive resolution after some therapy sessions. By that time, he'll be jettisoning the idea of Iceland and moving onto more realistic goals like how to support a family of five and getting a more appropriate job to foster intellectual and emotional growth.
Old 01-15-18, 12:23 PM   #47
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I dunno, man. Sounds like you're just going to have to let this one go, and have him learn a very hard and bitter lesson about Life. I'd say he is seriously depressed, but it might just be a mid-life crisis that may come to a positive resolution after some therapy sessions. By that time, he'll be jettisoning the idea of Iceland and moving onto more realistic goals like how to support a family of five and getting a more appropriate job to foster intellectual and emotional growth.
Yeah, he's been stuck in this overnight job of misery for quite some time mainly because they cannot afford daycare. He had to be the stay at home dad during the day for the kids when they were younger.

He just needs to quit that soul-killing job now that the youngest one is in school and get something better. I think his need for "change of scenery" is really a cry for a change in jobs.
Old 01-15-18, 01:11 PM   #48
Somewhat Banned

Quote:

He's not married, but he's been with his girlfriend for going on 20 years and they have three kids. The youngest one just started kindergarten.

So unless he's planning to leave his family behind, which from what he's saying he's not, then he plans on one way tickets for himself, his girlfriend, and all three kids. And somehow land in Iceland, find affordable housing for them all, and get a job to support them.
Yikes, that's even crazier!
Quote:

Yeah, going to Iceland which is practically at the Arctic Circle, is a supremely bad idea if he gets like this in the winter. Add the pressures of not having any friends or family there, needing to learn a new language/culture, and the stress of being basically an illegal immigrant, there is no way this would end well.
Old 01-15-18, 01:17 PM   #49
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Yeah man... people don't always fully get it, but winters further north are no joke. Where I'm from, in the winter, I could go a full work week without seeing the sun since it would rise after I got to work and set before I left the office for the night. Lucky for me, I never really got the "winter blues" but it's absolutely a real thing and... winters in Iceland, though? He's going to have a rough time since it's even shorter than that... especially if, as you say, winter months always affect him. Plus, summer up there is no joke, either. Looks like they get a full month of almost entirely "no dark" like Alaska.

And, as you said, immigrating (as a foreigner) with a girlfriend (not a wife*) and three kids... that's not going to go as he thinks. Even if he manages to 'trick' the border guards (he won't), everything else you said applies; he has to find housing and an illegal job (paying barely any cash) and won't be able to sustain that.

It's an insanely bad idea, and I hope he realizes it before he makes any big mistakes.

I don't have any advice, though. Like I said... it sounds like he needs to see someone. That's the biggest takeaway I have from what you've said about him.

*just a quick thing on this... some countries are very strict about distinguishing between girlfriends/wives that immigrate with you. That is, if he was trying to do it legally... which he isn't, but thought I'd point that out. It's just another red flag that will surely get him pulled for questioning, and when he doesn't have sufficient answers, they'll deport him.
I underestimated the power of the dark when I lived in Alaska. It didn't depress me, but I don't drink milk, so I developed a vitamin D deficiency and couldn't sleep due to leg pain. Somehow that melded with a B12 deficiency, and I was losing hair and could barely keep my balance. I thought I had a dread disease, but it was all fixed with B12 shots and megadoses of vitamin D.

Maybe it would be more realistic for him to attempt a move to Alaska. Less European culture, but lots of scenery, and it's still living in the north. And after a year (really more like 2), each person would get their permanent fund dividend.
Old 01-15-18, 01:35 PM   #50
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Yeah, I was talking to somebody who booked travel to Europe going through Iceland just because the overall price was much much cheaper than a direct flight.
A friend and I were just talking about this the other day. WOW Air begins service out of Cincinnati in May, with one way flights to Keflavik starting at $99, and one way flights through Keflavik to "Amsterdam, London, Paris, Berlin, Dublin and more" starting at $149 (with Paris being $199 according to him).

The best price his Chase Sapphire rewards card was getting him from here to Paris was $1,300 round trip, and needed to be booked almost a year in advance.