Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?
Yes!
4.76%
Hell nah!
71.43%
Maybe
20.63%
Twikoff got the check
3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Old 01-10-18, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 605 Likes on 426 Posts
Re: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Not exactly:

“In light of recent events, we have decided to remove Logan Paul’s channels from Google Preferred,” a YouTube spokesperson said. “Additionally, we will not feature Logan in Season 4 of ‘Foursome’ and his new originals are on hold.”
So he lost some advertising revenue.
Old 01-11-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

At this point, no. I've used Youtube for a fair amount of things, specifically live concerts and home/auto repairs. If YouTube wasn't around, I would have got the repair info elsewhere, and I simply would have lived without the concerts.

As my kids get older, I might reevaluate that standpoint.
Old 01-11-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have really weird tastes in video content, so YouTube is what I spend my time watching. For example:
1. Firearms stuff. Available nowhere else, basically.
2. European cycling racing (cyclocross and road) usually not broadcast anywhere in the US
3. How to make/fix stuff. YouTube is a cornucopia of this stuff. I watch it mainly for entertainment, because I'm weird.
4. Old documentaries. YouTube has lots of stuff that copyright is debatable or no one really cares. A great example is "Revenge of the Nerds".
5. Vlogs and vlog networks. The vast majority of vlogs are awful, but there is some gold out there.
6. "Falling down the YouTube hole". Random videos on weird topics that I get somewhat obsessed with. E.G.: raw videos from some guy who catches venomous snakes in Australia.

Anyway, I don't watch TV, I watch the above stuff. For me, there's no place better than YouTube for video content.
Old 01-11-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

First and foremost I love Youtube. I love it so much that I don't remember life without it
The greatest thing that Youtube has brought is the "How to Videos". I have learned to cook, make fixes around the house and even learned some flight procedures
The second thing i love the most is the music, i discovered some great songwriters through there that otherwise I would have never been able to find. And I'm also constantly watching full concerts of bands i love that i would have never been able to see live in person (cost and distance)

But then they created Logan fucking Paul, and a dozen of others like him, just idiots that that provide absolutely nothing to the enhancement of the human being or world around them
Old 01-11-18, 01:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 738 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Not exactly:

So he lost some advertising revenue.
Yeah; a slap on the wrist for a millionaire who makes most of his money selling his own merchandise anyway.
Old 01-11-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts

Another weird favorite- people who go into abandoned buildings and houses, and these are shot in 60fps! Absolutely better than anything on TV.

Old 01-13-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An example of the stuff I like to watch on YouTube. This one was posted yesterday.
1. On a niche topic that I'm passionate about: mountain biking.
2. Surprisingly well shot and edited: tells a nice little story.
3. Short. I have zero attention span.

The internet combined with lower cost video editing tools have made the above type of video possible. Prior to the existence of the internet, this type of content would not have been available to watch anywhere. YouTube certainly isn't perfect but it is clearly the best platform available today for this type of content. There's lots more where this came from.

As I mentioned before, the only problem I have with YouTube is that the site really doesn't pay its contributors enough. That little twelve minute video was likely a pain in the ass to shoot, required several days of editing and thousands of dollars of equipment. Despite the expense and work required, I don't think the guy that made it is making any real money off of these videos. Perhaps YouTube is serving a nice creative outlet with a readily available audience and that serves as its own reward.

Last edited by Hiro11; 01-13-18 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 466 Likes on 387 Posts

I watch a ton of stuff on YouTube:

-I run a community choir, and we put some of our performances there. Plus there are tons of other groups to watch to help with learning our repertoire.
-Late-night comedy--I often watch Colbert live, but I watch the others on YT, including John Oliver before I did HBO Now.
-Random political stuff
-Video game tips/cheats
-Broadway and other music performances

My kid constantly watches YT, including videogame walkthroughs (rather than playing the game--whatever) and "YT personalities." I'm of the crowd that can't see paying for YT, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to it if forced. Actually, the idea of paying to skip the commercials has some appeal, but it's a good point that it'd likely be paying YT instead of the creators.