Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?
Yes!
4.76%
Hell nah!
71.43%
Maybe
20.63%
Twikoff got the check
3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Old 01-03-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 736 Likes on 602 Posts
Re: Would you pay a fee to watch YouTube?

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If the actual creators of the actual videos I watched were getting at least 70% of the cash, sure. I'd pay. But that's not happening, so fuck any sort of additional fee.
Thatís true too. A lot of the creators are trying to push their Patreon pages now to try and make up for lost revenue because of how YouTube runs itself. Granted I donít think those people should be trying to get by on just their videos to make a living but those who put in a lot of work to make quality content deserve to make something.
Old 01-03-18, 11:48 PM
gamer for life

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pay 14.99 a month for youtube red family...(also includes google play music)...I have three kids who spend 90% of their tv time watching youtube..and I don't have cable. This gives my whole family advertiser free youtube on our ps4/xbox ones and a solid music service...
Old 01-04-18, 12:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 790 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Thatís true too. A lot of the creators are trying to push their Patreon pages now to try and make up for lost revenue because of how YouTube runs itself. Granted I donít think those people should be trying to get by on just their videos to make a living but those who put in a lot of work to make quality content deserve to make something.
I have no problem with folks making a living wage (Or more) on YouTube or Patreon or whatever. If their content is good, they're earning it just like any other documentarians, entertainers, etc. The problem is that the top-tier YouTubers are trash, making a killing, and YouTube has essentially zero ethics policies in place; or of they do, they only enforce them subjectively. So people like Logan fucking Paul can make countless videos okay for kids, then post a video showing and making fun of an actual dead body hanging from a tree and YouTube doesn't take any action against his account.
Old 01-04-18, 07:08 AM
Admin

Received 351 Likes on 226 Posts

Youtube is just a way to pass time on the internet when I'm really bored. I can easily find something else to do that is free. I'm not paying for YT.
Old 01-04-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I pay $10 a month for Youtube Red. How are you getting it for $5?

I watch Youtube every day on my TV, so it's worth $10/month to get rid of all the commercials.
I use adblocks and I don't see commercials on YouTube.
Old 01-04-18, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 595 Likes on 377 Posts

Yes, but its a moot point. If Youtube was paywalled, it would quickly cease to be the Youtube that we know today.
Old 01-04-18, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I personally wouldn't but I'm pretty sure my son would want me to.
Old 01-04-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I hardly watch it now for free. Canít imagine I would miss it much if it went to a pay site.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!!
Old 01-04-18, 09:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 362 Likes on 251 Posts

Hmm, surprised at how many people are saying they never use it. We watch it daily at our house. School assignments and practice routines, how to videos on home and car maintenance, listening to music, movies and tv shows.....

That said, I’d never pay for it. If they went pay only a free replacement would emerge.
Old 01-04-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 159 Likes on 121 Posts

Nope.
Old 01-04-18, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 169 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I hardly watch it now for free. Canít imagine I would miss it much if it went to a pay site.
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Youtube is just a way to pass time on the internet when I'm really bored. I can easily find something else to do that is free. I'm not paying for YT.
This
Old 01-04-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 858 Likes on 580 Posts

I watch a lot of YT. But I won't pay for it.
Old 01-04-18, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 474 Likes on 409 Posts

There is occasionally interesting content on YouTube but the platform is in dire need of a micro-payment system. I could see myself paying 10 cents to watch the latest comic book reviews or whatever, but paying another monthly fee to YouTube is out of the question.
Old 01-04-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Hmm, surprised at how many people are saying they never use it. We watch it daily at our house. School assignments and practice routines, how to videos on home and car maintenance, listening to music, movies and tv shows.....

That said, Iíd never pay for it. If they went pay only a free replacement would emerge.
Daily Motion?
Old 01-04-18, 03:51 PM

Received 366 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I use adblocks and I don't see commercials on YouTube.
That works fine on computers. But if you watch Youtube on TV (like with a Roku), you'll get ads before every video.
Old 01-04-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts

Not if you run an HDMI line from the computer to the TV. I usually have an open computer so it's not a problem.
Old 01-04-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
That works fine on computers. But if you watch Youtube on TV (like with a Roku), you'll get ads before every video.
I watch YouTube on my Roku (and Amazon Fire TV stick) and I don't get ads. But then again I also setup my router to block them too.

Are there other benefits to YouTube Red than no ads?
Old 01-04-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Red has some original content from some of the bigger creators too but Iíve never watched any of it. Most of the really mainstream stuff I donít watch on there. I watch some bigger channels (Cinemassacre- best known for AVGN, Channel Awesome- Nostalgia Critic, Pat the NES Punk- podcasts and sketch videos, and quite a few reviewers) but not crap like Logan Paul or Pewdiepie.
Old 01-04-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd pay, but only if it was $5.95/month or less, or bundled with GPM for $9.95/month. Thing is, though, thanks to Christmas gift cards my Spotify account is prepaid until 02/16/2019, so unless the bottom falls out of Spotify, I'm staying there for at least a year.

I also don't understand the "LOL! YOOTOOB SUX!" people. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds of great channels offering TV quality stuff: Tom Scott, The Royal Institution and SciShow for science stuff, Wendover Productions for economics and engineering stuff, Big Clive for electronic stuff, The Great War for WWI stuff, VisualPolitik for current events, Today I Found Out for quirky history stuff, Wolter's World for travel stuff, Scotty Kilmer and Doug DeMuro for car stuff, the NFL for 7-10 minute game highlights, Zagat and Food Wishes for cooking... and that's just the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. YouTube isn't just vloggers ranting about stuff, or guys doing screencaps of video games. And I haven't even gotten to the 20,000,000 music videos on the site, or all the practical info on the site: if you need to replace a toilet or electric outlet but don't know how, and are smart enough to follow instructions, you can learn how on YouTube. Even for things you may know how to do - like replace a headlight in your car - you can often find tips to make it easier. I have a car where the headlights are replaced via a hatch in the wheel well. It was easy to replace the driver side light by hand, but much harder on the passenger side, because the space isn't big enough to fit my right hand, and my left just doesn't have the dexterity to do it. One 4 minute YT video later, I learned how to open the hatch without breaking the brittle plastic hatch cover.
Old 01-04-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thereís a lot of people out there who donít realize that not all of YouTube is poorly filmed, unedited junk videos I think. YouTubers have a certain stigma about them from idiots like Logan Paul and others because theyíre the only time you really see anything in the news relating to it. There is a lot of crap on there but if you know what youíre looking for thereís a lot of great content as well.
Old 01-04-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 744 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The problem is that the top-tier YouTubers are trash, making a killing, and YouTube has essentially zero ethics policies in place; or of they do, they only enforce them subjectively. So people like Logan fucking Paul can make countless videos okay for kids, then post a video showing and making fun of an actual dead body hanging from a tree and YouTube doesn't take any action against his account.
100% agree. That guy's a piece of shit, and it's shameful that YouTube didn't do much about it (but hey, he's making them money so of course they didn't do much)

Thereís a lot of people out there who donít realize that not all of YouTube is poorly filmed, unedited junk videos I think. YouTubers have a certain stigma about them from idiots like Logan Paul and others because theyíre the only time you really see anything in the news relating to it. There is a lot of crap on there but if you know what youíre looking for thereís a lot of great content as well.
Lots of great stuff to watch if you know what to look for.
Old 01-05-18, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

That’s true too. A lot of the creators are trying to push their Patreon pages now to try and make up for lost revenue because of how YouTube runs itself. Granted I don’t think those people should be trying to get by on just their videos to make a living but those who put in a lot of work to make quality content deserve to make something.
Ironic since Patreon just had its own little scandal that pissed off the podcast crowd. They backtracked quickly, but many of the pods I listen to lost patrons.

That said, no I would never pay for Youtube. I don't use it for much -- "how to" videos and some mindless entertainment that I don't need.
Old 01-05-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm probably in the minority these days, but as far as reviews or "how-to" videos out there i'd much rather just read an article then watch a video. Just quicker for me to get to the point.
Old 01-05-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ironic since Patreon just had its own little scandal that pissed off the podcast crowd. They backtracked quickly, but many of the pods I listen to lost patrons.
Yeah, I heard about that. They were taking larger percentages from what Patrons pledged towards creators.
Old 01-05-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm probably in the minority these days, but as far as reviews or "how-to" videos out there i'd much rather just read an article then watch a video. Just quicker for me to get to the point.
I don't disagree with that, as long as the article has good pictures.

Speaking of ... off on a tangent ... I don't want to read a two page blog about you, your adventures, your family, your dog, or whatever when I look up a recipe on line. Just give me the damn recipe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.