DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-03-18, 04:44 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Other Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Ewe want fries with that? (Fast Food Sheep)

Other Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Ewe want fries with that? (Fast Food Sheep)

Intro for first-time players

Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.

The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:

Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"

Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.

The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:

Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"

Player A gets zero points, unless unique bonuses are in play (refer to the Game-Specific Rules). The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong. If "Texas" is ruled incorrect, player C gets +4 points (two above the most common correct answer).

That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules

Spoiler:

• The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
  • Example Sheep question: "Name a confusing sci-fi TV series." A good answer might be Lost and a bad answer might be Land of the Giants.
  • Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a Clippers draft pick." Blake Griffin might be a bad answer, but Yaroslav Korolev might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
  • Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
  • There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question. Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
  • You may not cheat by using Google or Wikipedia, food blogs, threads in DVDTalk's food subforum, etc. Use only what's in your head.
  • Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.
  • Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
  • Sheep questions are marked by an S:, Reverse Sheep questions are marked by an R:.

Game-Specific Rules
Spoiler:

• Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
    1 Unique is awarded -15
    2 Uniques are awarded -10 each
    3 Uniques are awarded -6 each
    4 Uniques are awarded -3 each
    5+ Uniques are awarded -1 each
  • Slam Dunks {sd} Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}s) which they use by adding {sd} to the end of their answer. Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use them in:
    • In Sheep questions, the {sd} adds 1 to the Multiplier. You are allowed to use up to ONE of your {sd}s on any given question.
    • In Reverse Sheep questions, you can use a single {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing. I will answer any questions you have about Slam Dunks.

Many of these questions are not difficult. That's where dunk strategy comes into play.

• Time to break New Year's resolutions with Fast Food Sheep!

Questions refer to U.S. fast-food franchises, not full-service or fast-casual restaurants (not that it really matters with these questions).

Troll submissions will be thrown out.

Only one dunk is allowed per question. Any additional dunks played will be wasted.

And another reminder: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself, and no blank lines. If you are playing a slamdunk on a question, add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Incorrectly formatted answers will be penalized 20 points right off the bat.

However, slamdunk errors will be granted one "product recall" and may be corrected via PM once with no penalty. However, revisions simply because you "thought of a better answer" will not be allowed. I may PM you for answer clarification; no response often brings about the least-desirable result.

Note: In general, I prefer not to play my own Sheep games. However, I often reserve the right to play in case turnout is thin, and most of my games attract about eight players each. With that in mind, I don't read my PMs till (1) I've decided not to play or (2) I've submitted my own answers to another player. If you are PMing me a question about the game, please put "Sheep question" in the subject line and don't include it with your answers.

I will accept a reasonable number of participants, and plan on starting sometime in 2018.

The Questions
    1. S: Which franchise has the best burger?
    2. S: Cheese is an essential add-on to most burgers. Name another item you frequently add to your burger.
    3. S: Fries go great with burgers. Name another menu item you frequently order along with your burger.
    4. S: Other than basic flavors (Coke, Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Sprite, etc.), what concoction do you like to dispense at a Coke Freestyle machine?
    5. S: Name a defunct menu item you miss.
    6. S: Best sandwich-centric franchise?
    7. S: Best pizza-centric franchise?
    8. S: Pepperoni is a popular pizza topping. Name another topping you frequently add to your pizza.
    9. S: Most annoying mascot/spokesperson?
    10. S: Recall a popular slogan or tagline.
    11. R: In-n-Out's website lists a No So Secret Menu with six items on it. Without checking that menu, name one of those items.
    12. S: Which franchise has the best breakfast items?
    13. S: Which franchise has the best dessert items?
    14. S: Which franchise has the best healthy options?
    15. S: Which franchise has the best bargain menu?
    16. S: Most underrated franchise?
    17. S: Best regional franchise?
    18. S: Best non-burger-oriented franchise?
    19. S: Overall worst franchise?
    20. S: Overall best franchise?
    21. S: BONUS TIEBREAKER QUESTION (if necessary; no dunks allowed): What is your favorite item on any franchise's menu (specific name needed, not "cheeseburger")?
    Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
    Old 01-03-18, 06:29 PM   #2
    DVD Talk Legend

Re: Other Talk (Reverse) Sheep: Ewe want fries with that? (Fast Food Sheep)

I am going to hate to have to lie for points.

Is it fair to look up things like "What is a Coke Freestyle machine?" or "What kind of food does In-n-Out sell?"

Last edited by Mrs. Danger; 01-03-18 at 06:35 PM.
    Old 01-03-18, 06:37 PM   #3
    Premium Member

Yeah, I'll play, but it sucks having to match everyone else's wrong answers, rather than the right ones. (answers sent)

Last edited by The Cow; 01-03-18 at 06:59 PM.
    Old 01-03-18, 07:23 PM   #4
    DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Iíll submit soon.
    Old 01-03-18, 07:23 PM   #5
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post

Is it fair to look up things like "What is a Coke Freestyle machine?" or "What kind of food does In-n-Out sell?"
    Coke Freestyle machines are those machines that have every flavor of Coke products in them, you pick any coke product, and then you can pick any flavor for that product (cherry, vanilla, orange, raspberry, etc)

In-N-Out is a burger chain popular out west (I don't have any near me and have never been there)

-----
    PSN: CactusKind
    Old 01-03-18, 08:42 PM   #6
    DVD Talk Legend

Ok, the name made me think of a convenience store, and I thought of items like roller dogs and grease bomb taquitos.
    Old 01-03-18, 10:47 PM   #7

Answers sent.
    Old 01-04-18, 07:54 AM   #8
    DVD Talk Legend

Stuck in the drive-thru answers submitted, thanks!
    Old 01-04-18, 03:25 PM   #9
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
    I'll have to lie too, but I have no qualms about doing so. Also, this provides cover if I pick something as a "favorite" that everyone else thinks sucks (I can claim to be lying and that I really have better taste in food than my answers suggest )

Quote:
    Never did a Coke Freestyle either. I've eaten at In-n-Out a lot when I lived in California. And at one point knew the secret items. But I've completely forgotten what they are
    Old 01-04-18, 04:26 PM   #10
    DVD Talk Legend

A little snack, while we're waiting.

I think it's jellied liverwurst with mashed green peas. I see chunks of pickle and olive, too.
    Old 01-04-18, 04:36 PM   #11
    DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was a guac-covered meatloaf.
    Old 01-04-18, 09:11 PM   #12
    DVD Talk Legend

Not fast food.

Old 01-04-18, 11:46 PM   #13
    DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
    Coke Freestyle machines are those machines that have every flavor of Coke products in them, you pick any coke product, and then you can pick any flavor for that product (cherry, vanilla, orange, raspberry, etc)

In-N-Out is a burger chain popular out west (I don't have any near me and have never been there)
    You forgot to add that every flavor of Coke product is a pale impersonation of itself that doesn't taste right and that you can't actually add any flavor to any drink. Oh, and that the machines are constantly disgusting fly and gnat traps. Other than that, sure!

I am jealous that you don't know what one is Mrs. D. The things are the soda equivalent of the anti-Christ and should be destroyed at any cost.
    Old 01-05-18, 12:08 AM   #14
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
    Not fast food.

I like century eggs. But if you bring a liverwurst and pea mouse, I'll bring a crown roast of treet

Old 01-05-18, 12:18 AM   #15
    DVD Talk Legend

I have some objection to the Reverse question being that it is a regional chain ... But I provided a fun answer anyway.
    Old 01-05-18, 01:32 PM   #16
    DVD Talk Hero

Seven players in so far! Game will be open at least through Monday.

devilshalo
    The Cow
    Mrs. Danger
    GhostLee
    wishbone
    Abob Teff
    cdollaz

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
    I have some objection to the Reverse question being that it is a regional chain ... But I provided a fun answer anyway.
    Yes, it's a fair point. My first draft of questions didn't have any Reverses at all, which would've been fine because there's so much luck involved, but I felt like including one. I also considered using the In-n-Out question for the tiebreaker, which I usually use for "out there" questions, but it didn't really work there. So I just went with it and threw it in the middle to minimize game impact. The question it replaced was "Which franchise has the best chicken item?", a question that was as boring as white meat.
    Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2018 | Drive-In 2018 | Leap Day 2016
    Old 01-05-18, 01:52 PM   #17
    DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
    The question it replaced was "Which franchise has the best chicken item?", a question that was as boring as white meat.

"Hey, kids, how's the meat?"
    "You taste great, Clucky!"
    Old 01-05-18, 02:48 PM   #18
    DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-05-18, 03:30 PM   #19
    DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sent answers. So hard to have to pick what I thought people would choose instead of the real answers. Esp. on regional fast food, which is kind of a passion of mine.
    Old 01-05-18, 04:58 PM   #20
    DVD Talk Legend

Best chicken item? Popeye's. Any of their chicken.
    Old 01-05-18, 06:47 PM   #21
    DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
    Yes, it's a fair point. My first draft of questions didn't have any Reverses at all, which would've been fine because there's so much luck involved, but I felt like including one. I also considered using the In-n-Out question for the tiebreaker, which I usually use for "out there" questions, but it didn't really work there. So I just went with it and threw it in the middle to minimize game impact. The question it replaced was "Which franchise has the best chicken item?", a question that was as boring as white meat.
    Boring, but better than an automatic wrong answer with penalty.

Could have done ďName a McDonalds dipping sauce for McNuggets.Ē (A question I actually already wrote for an as-of-yet-unpublished Rick and Morty game.)
    Old 01-05-18, 08:28 PM   #22
    DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
    Boring, but better than an automatic wrong answer with penalty.

Could have done ďName a McDonalds dipping sauce for McNuggets.Ē (A question I actually already wrote for an as-of-yet-unpublished Rick and Morty game.)
    Oh sure, you could sit here all day and come up with better questions than mine! But I have to figure out questions and at some point just go with them. I've been tossing around this concept for probably a couple years.

Reverses I was considering (since I likely won't ever run one of these again) were "Name an item from ____'s dollar menu" or "Name a franchise that started before 19__" but I like easily verifiable sources for Reverse questions so I don't have to do a lot of work checking answers.

Where I misjudged was thinking that the brand was well known enough for people to come up with at least one answer, but that's a bad assumption if not everyone knows what a Coke Freestyle machine is. But I'm not going to sweat one question. You can just accuse me of West Coast bias.
    Old 01-05-18, 09:15 PM   #23
    DVD Talk Godfather

As the Fast Food thread starter and one quoted as saying i'd play this sheep game, I guess I have to play

Answers submitted. Actually surprised there wasn't a Chicken specific question.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
    Old 01-05-18, 09:25 PM   #24
    DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
    Oh sure, you could sit here all day and come up with better questions than mine! But I have to figure out questions and at some point just go with them. I've been tossing around this concept for probably a couple years.

Reverses I was considering (since I likely won't ever run one of these again) were "Name an item from ____'s dollar menu" or "Name a franchise that started before 19__" but I like easily verifiable sources for Reverse questions so I don't have to do a lot of work checking answers.

Where I misjudged was thinking that the brand was well known enough for people to come up with at least one answer, but that's a bad assumption if not everyone knows what a Coke Freestyle machine is. But I'm not going to sweat one question. You can just accuse me of West Coast bias.
    I feel your pain. The regional vs. national aspect is a booger.

R: Name a seasonal flavor of milkshake (at McDonalds if you needed to make it more specific).

R: Name an ingredient listed in the famous ďBig MacĒ commercial/song.

R: Name a movie that had a marketing/kidsí meal deal with a national fast food chain.

(Iím just trying to rub it in.)

Yeah, Iíve never been within a thousand miles of an In-and-Out and donít have a clue what their menu looks like. Like I said, the penalty for that is what bugs me. (Yeah, Iím trying to weasel out of it before the game even starts.)
    Old 01-05-18, 10:51 PM   #25
    DVD Talk Legend

Fried Weasel