DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Christmas Stocking Stuffers (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/642330-christmas-stocking-stuffers.html)

bralph 12-06-17 10:02 AM

Christmas Stocking Stuffers

What are some fun/different things you like to give as stocking stuffers?

There's the usual candy, socks, etc, but what do you like to get to make it stand out? I always include scratch-off lottery tickets. This year, for my dad, I'm thinking about including Lotto Love tickets, I haven't really been able to come up with much else yet...

Obi-Wan Jabroni 12-06-17 10:19 AM

Re: Christmas Stocking Stuffers

I don't stuff stockings for anyone except my kids (was the same way when I was a kid), and all that really goes in there is small things that I don't feel like wrapping, lol.

bralph 12-06-17 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13220679)
I don't stuff stockings for anyone except my kids (was the same way when I was a kid), and all that really goes in there is small things that I don't feel like wrapping, lol.

We draw names of family members and do stockings instead of gifts. They usually end up being pretty fun and interesting, but I am struggling this year.

jjcool 12-06-17 11:10 AM

For teh adults we always do cheap CVS/Walgreens/Rite-Aid type stuff. Scotch tape, index cards, pens, small containers of Purell, Chapstick, small containers of Cracker Jack, Combos, Turtle candies etc. Kids get simialr stuff though. Pens and pencils, small notepads, candy, crayons, silly putty. Stuff like that.

Psi 12-06-17 11:37 AM

This year, Amazon Dot or Google Home Mini. They are $30 now, and on Black Friday they could be had for $20 after gift certificates.

(Yes, I know. You are letting Jeff Bezos hear everything you say at home :))

AGuyNamedMike 12-06-17 11:40 AM

In my wife's stocking I put an orange, some bars of fancy chocolate, hair scrunchies, Burt's Bees lip balm, and whatever else she might want at the time like an LED headlamp or spare phone charger.

kefrank 12-06-17 11:46 AM

Small, relatively inexpensive, but useful tech gifts are always a winner: like Tile Mate, long phone charging cables, the smallest Kindle Fire tablet (at BF prices at least), a Wemo Mini Smart Plug, etc.

TheBigDave 12-06-17 03:25 PM

Our stockings are 75% candy. We always have a couple lottery scratchers and a gift card in the $10-$25 range. And there's usually a small wrapped present like a travel alarm clock, a small phone charger, or a memory card for the camera.

JimRochester 12-06-17 06:58 PM

I am always looking for things for my wife. She is delightfully non-materialistic, is allergic to scents, not big on jewelry and I haven't picked out the right size for her in 35 years. So far I have the traditional woodworking piece I make plus tickets to Bill Engvall.

tasha99 12-06-17 07:31 PM

Sadly, my kids already have these, but I think banned book matches are pretty cool:

https://www.outofprintclothing.com/p...s-matchbox-set

MLBFan24 12-06-17 08:38 PM

I made some custom magnets on Shutterfly. Just grabbed some photos from various friends' Facebook pages and got them printed on magnets. They turned out really well.

The Questyen 12-06-17 11:13 PM

I hate when I get lottery tickets in my stocking or in a card or something. Such a waste.

bralph 12-07-17 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester (Post 13220991)
I am always looking for things for my wife. She is delightfully non-materialistic, is allergic to scents, not big on jewelry and I haven't picked out the right size for her in 35 years. So far I have the traditional woodworking piece I make plus tickets to Bill Engvall.

Allergic to SMELLS??? How is that even possible? Sounds like you really have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

dom56 12-07-17 09:03 AM

Saw this at Trader Joe's and thought it might be good for adult.

http://www.traderjoesreviews.com/wp-...randybeans.jpg

TomOpus 12-07-17 11:44 AM

Grab a bunch of cheap Miramax DVDs. Tell 'em they'll be collector items in the future :)

JimRochester 12-07-17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by bralph (Post 13221219)
Allergic to SMELLS??? How is that even possible? Sounds like you really have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

I didn't word that very well. She has several allergies and has a heightened sense of smell. So even if it is something she isn't actually allergic to the small will bother her. I can spray something in the basement and an hour later she will complain of the smell upstairs. I can't smell a thing and she thinks it's very strong.

All that to say perfumes and smelly stuff is a no go for Christmas presents.

joeblow69 12-07-17 02:31 PM

My family was poor, so 1/2 our stockings were always filled with mixed nuts. :(

Noonan 12-07-17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13221556)
My family was poor, so 1/2 our stockings were always filled with mixed nuts. :(

Better than the new toothbrush and other toiletries I used to get as a kid...

parrotheads4 12-07-17 06:32 PM

I'm giving plasma lighters.

parrotheads4 12-07-17 06:35 PM

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....RL._SX522_.jpg

danwiz 12-08-17 12:15 PM

I give up, what is it?

Mabuse 12-08-17 12:23 PM

I think it’s a fancy lighter.

Here’s a tip I’m going with this year: Digital meat thermometer. Great for cooking and no one ever has one. I go to my MIL house and she never has one.

MBoyd 12-08-17 12:26 PM

Even if they can't play them, some cassettes might be fun. I think a lot of them have digital downloads in them.

https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/cassettes

TomOpus 12-08-17 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz (Post 13222174)
I give up, what is it?

I think it's a water bottle with a built-in ultraviolet light that kills bacteria. I've heard about them, so this is only a guess.

Noonan 12-08-17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by danwiz (Post 13222174)
I give up, what is it?

In the pic above? It's a plasma lighter. Just a fancy lighter which you can use in any wind conditions since it's not a flame.