Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 12-03-17, 10:33 PM   #51
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Legal question about door to door salesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
So legal experts, is the contract enforceable?
Do you really think this company will take legal action against you for $200??

I ignore or am extremely rude to any random door to door sales or telemarketer. I cannot stand my peace being disturbed for their bullshit. If i need to buy something or some service, I research it and find it on my own.

As for these tools bothering you about the contract, don't schedule any service with them and don't pay them anymore. If they want paid based on the contract, they will have to sue you. Chances are they won't.

There is never a good time to have a service
Ignore any bills they send you

if they keep pressing tell them that you think their chemicals may have killed your pets and once your vet proves it you will call them back. Until then you don't want any more chemicals from them sprayed at your house

Fight bullshit with bullshit

I forget the exact situation but my wife got sucked into signing up for something. I think she paid for something once, so of course they kept coming back with whatever it was. We just started ignoring them and all their bills and collection notices, after about a year or two they disappeared.

Many threats about sending us to collections and whatever other nonsense they could come up with, all BS, they did nothing but mail threatening bullshit that went right into the trash and they called with threats too.

The problem is you are trying to deal with a bullshit fraudulent company as an honest upstanding citizen, don't, treat them with bullshit and lies on their level
Old 12-04-17, 01:18 PM   #52
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
if they keep pressing tell them that you think their chemicals may have killed your pets and once your vet proves it you will call them back. Until then you don't want any more chemicals from them sprayed at your house
That's exactly how I got out of my Columbia House membership!

Read Poop Office at http://nakedgrapecomics.com
Old 12-07-17, 05:24 AM   #53
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Columbia House is a scam! They say you can cancel at any time, but the fine print says that you have to purchase 3 more titles at regular club prices before you cancel!

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 12-07-17, 06:45 AM   #54
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got Columbia House to stop sending me selections of the month because even though I didn't respond, I just kept marking them return to sender and dropping them back in the mail. Eventually they just stopped sending them to me.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 12-07-17, 07:05 AM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I got Columbia House to stop sending me selections of the month because even though I didn't respond, I just kept marking them return to sender and dropping them back in the mail. Eventually they just stopped sending them to me.
Last time I did Columbia House was for Betamax Star Trek TOS. I would copy the tape and ship back theirs. It didn't take long for them to tire of that and they stopped sending them. So I had to start buying a few here and there to keep them coming.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 251 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 393 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 51 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 12-07-17, 07:58 AM   #56
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I'd ignore it. You paid them $99 to knock down spider webs and spray some Raid. Unless your house looked like Dracula's castle, they came out ahead.
I was going to say. If I could get $99 to get rid of cobwebs (which means you don't have a mouse problem), I'd do it every day.

“OK. You got me. Your real world example proves that I was wrong.” – grundle
Old 12-09-17, 10:52 PM   #57

Fuck those so-called "salespeople" that disrupt your day/evening by knocking on your door trying to sell you their nonexistent "services". Without exception, these people will scam you out out your money - if you let them. I never answer the door to them. As far as I'm concerned, these motherfuckers are borderline-trespassing. They're just as bad - and maybe even worse - than aggressive panhandlers.

As was said, if you need to have some work done on your home and/or want to buy a service/product, do some research and find a legitimate business/company. Anyone going door to door trying to sell something - in this day and age - is trying to rip you off.

It's sad that these people will take advantage of the naive/elderly out there. They're all fucking trash, and deserve to be severely punished with hard jail time - or worse. Motherfuckers.
Old 12-10-17, 04:56 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Columbia House is a scam! They say you can cancel at any time, but the fine print says that you have to purchase 3 more titles at regular club prices before you cancel!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Last time I did Columbia House was for Betamax Star Trek TOS. I would copy the tape and ship back theirs. It didn't take long for them to tire of that and they stopped sending them. So I had to start buying a few here and there to keep them coming.

We need a Columbia House thread. I need more stories like these.
Old 12-10-17, 09:09 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really get door-to-door salespeople. But damnit, I get a lot of phone calls to dead air. I'm on the Do Not Call List. Telephone switches never seemed to advance past taking a few seconds to click over after someone says hello. So I'll be working out in my shop, be "in the zone", the phone will ring, I stop what I'm doing, answer the phone, and 95% of the time it's a dead call.
Old 12-10-17, 06:57 PM   #60
DVD Talk Legend

They still exist!!

https://www.columbiahouse.com