Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Obesity in US reaches all-time high; 40% of adults and 19% of kids...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 10-18-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

...and we're not getting thinner any time soon.

The United States will not be escaping the obesity epidemic crisis anytime soon: Nearly 40% of adults and 19% of youth are obese, the highest rate the country has ever seen in all adults, according to research released Friday by the National Center for Health Statistics.

Since 1999, there has been a staggering rise in the prevalence of obesity, particularly in adults, without any "signs of it slowing down," according to the study's lead researcher, Dr. Craig Hales, medical epidemiologist at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Youth obesity rates seem to be more stable in recent years. However, it is "too early to tell" what direction youth obesity prevalence will take. At least four more years of data are required to truly understand the direction, Hales said.

When looking at the goals of Healthy People 2020 -- a 2010 government effort to improve the health of Americans, including by reducing obesity -- the crisis looms even larger. The initiative aims to lower obesity rates to 14.5% among youth and 30.5% among adults by 2020.

"I have no expectation at all for Healthy People 2020 to be achieved," Long said.

Hispanic adults had an obesity rate of 47% and Non-Hispanic black adults a rate of 46.8% in 2015-16, the new report showed, with non-Hispanic white adults at 37.9% and Asian adults at 12.7%.

Among youths, Hispanics and non-Hispanic blacks also had higher rates of obesity, at 25.8% and 22% respectively, compared with 14% of non-Hispanic whites and 11% of Asians.
Sucks, but I totally get it. I'm in decent shape, but I work my fucking ass of to stay in "decent" shape. I run roughly 5 miles a day, almost every day, and except for a couple meals here and there, I eat very little and very healthily. But looking at me, you would have no idea I put in that much work, because I just look "normal". And people just aren't willing to put in that much work for "normal", not to mention so much sustained work. It's exponentially easier to stay fat, especially in our society, and especially when people have so much shit going on. It's not that people don't understand it takes work to not be obese, most don't understand HOW MUCH work it takes, and that there's no real "finish line", you just have to keep doing it and doing it, like brushing your teeth.

But like I said, I get it - I'm in my mid-40s, and I don't have kids. If I had a family, forget about it! I'd be obese along with the other 40%.

We've celebrated over-eating here in the US far too much. Don't get me wrong, I fucking LOVE food, but I bet most people, even people who don't eat much, can get by just fine by eating half of what they eat.

Then you also have contributing factors like how 12 oz of water can cost more than 12 oz of soda...

Not to mention the looming health crisis from all this obesity. Ugh.

As far as blame, I'm gonna go and blame sugar consumption.
As this graph plainly shows how obesity rose pretty much the same as sugar consumption.

Also, overall calorie intake has gone up quite a bit since I was born.

Not sure what the answer is - certainly not the government, as the current administration has already started rolling back the previous administration's healthy school lunch programs. (also, the optics of having a fat tub of orange goo for president doesn't help)
Old 10-18-17, 01:27 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Obesity in US reaches all-time high; 40% of adults and 19% of kids...

Whatever the previous administration did to improve school lunches, I'm not seeing it on my end. I have two elementary school kids and the meals are just atrocious. Corn dogs, orange chicken, spaghetti, etc. Every Thursday is Dominos Pizza. It's maximum carbs and nearly no protein. My daughter informed me that you get your vegetables and then you can go to the "ranch bucket"! I wanted to puke. Everything about school lunches is a racquet.
Old 10-18-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 352 Likes on 257 Posts

Americans need to stop eating so much fucking food. Just one example, but when you compare the size of average restaurant meal portions in the US compared to other countries it's horrifying. When a single meal contains more calories than what is recommended for the entire day, guess what, people are gonna get fat (not to mention additional issues of poor meal choices, lack of exercise, etc)
Old 10-18-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Americans need to stop eating so much fucking food. Just one example, but when you compare the size of average restaurant meal portions in the US compared to other countries it's horrifying. When a single meal contains more calories than what is recommended for the entire day, guess what, people are gonna get fat (not to mention additional issues of poor meal choices, lack of exercise, etc)
Bingo!
Old 10-18-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 85 Posts

This!
Old 10-18-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

Americans need to stop eating so much fucking food. Just one example, but when you compare the size of average restaurant meal portions in the US compared to other countries it's horrifying.
I keep hearing that and, to be honest, I haven't really found it to be true at all. I have eaten a lot of meals in a pretty substantial list of countries now and rarely felt like I was receiving less food than I would have received in a comparable restaurant/situation in the U.S.

Also, while we lead the way among OECD nations, the obesity rate differences between us and countries like New Zealand, Canada, the UK and Australia is actually fairly marginal. There are also some pretty substantial obesity rate differences in the U.S. between ethnic groups, which *may* also explain some of the rate difference between the U.S. and some other OECD countries with more heterogeneous populations.
Old 10-18-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 80 Posts

It's also a matter of how your body processes carbohydrates, and how much money you have to afford to stay away from them. Do everything you can to stay away from processed foods, as it'll pack on the pounds. I remember when I was a kid, we didn't have the money to eat much more than spaghetti and Ramen at most meals. If we were lucky, there would be some ground meat in the spaghetti (or hot dogs in the Ramen). That shit will make you retain water and hang onto your glycogen until it turns into fat. And it makes you hungrier as part of the process of letting that stuff into your bloodstream (like a drug). Or something like that.

I suspect that many (or most) families are in the same "food poor" status. So they stock up on the cheapest stuff at the grocery store. And once you put on that fat, it doesn't 'just go away'. It influences you body chemistry, which causes more fat storage. And if you can't break free from it, you stay fat.

And yea, when it comes to portions ... if people only knew how little a "healthy" meal is. If you're eating 3 meals a day at 1500 calories, each one of those meals are going to fit in the palm of your hand. The way to cheat this, is to load up on veggies (which I do recommend). No meat, no carbs, just veggies. Powdered shake mix (with water only) is another good cheat. You look at a glass of milk and think it's only a glass of milk. But within the parameters of "staying thin", that 8 ounce glass of milk has more calories than you're supposed to eat in 8-or-so hours.
Old 10-18-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Cut down on the fucking sugar, America.

ALSO: if they are measuring obesity by the BMI, they are NOT measuring obesity. Age, height, and weight are entirely insufficient at measuring body fat %.

I'm 46, 6' 3", and 225 lbs and while I have a large frame I'm built pretty lean. According to the BMI charts, I'm "obese". Adorable
Old 10-18-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

The problem isn't calories, it's the WRONG calories.
Old 10-18-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Maybe because as I get older, I'm just not eating as much as I used to. Consequently, I'm down to my high school weight without trying to lose weight. I was never that big to begin with, so we're only talking about 20 pounds.
Old 10-18-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
The problem isn't calories, it's the WRONG calories.
That's the short version of what I was trying to say.

Calories aren't just calories. Any educated nutritionist will tell you that. Different calories (carbs are the devil) screw with your hormones, hunger levels, water retention, glucose levels, etc. Some calories, you take the nutrients and poo out the rest. And some calories you absorb all of those fats, salts, sugars, carbs, and that stuff stays in your body long-term.

If you can manage to eat only 1500 calories a day, while eating cheap food - that's great for you. But this study shows that nearly half the population can't eat and discipline themselves like that. When you're living on cheap junk food, it's not hard to load up on 3000+ calories a day.

I have a lot of sympathy for those who have to feed their families on spaghetti and all kinds of bad, processed calories. Because there's no other choice. I eat healthy at every single meal (and go to the gym, and all of that stuff), and it's fucking expensive. I can do it because it's just me. If I had to feed 2-3 people this way, we'd all be in financial trouble.

Cut down on the fucking sugar, America.
Very true. Sugar loads you up with all of that water. And that water makes it easy for your body to pack on the pounds. The fat storage is exponential when your body is in that mode. Get out of that water retention mode and you won't gain weight nearly as easy.

I'm 46, 6' 3", and 225 lbs and while I have a large frame I'm built pretty lean. According to the BMI charts, I'm "obese". Adorable
All good points. 3/4 of the people at my upscale gym are probably "obese" in the same way.
Old 10-18-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALSO: if they are measuring obesity by the BMI, they are NOT measuring obesity. Age, height, and weight are entirely insufficient at measuring body fat %.

Exactly. It works the same way for kids. My daughter has always fell into the ow level of the "obese" category because she is built a lot like her dad. Thicker than others, but solid muscle.

But on the flip side of this you do see that we have a major bad diet and lack of exercise thing going on in this country. Hopefully something that will be dealt with if the country ever goes the single payer route for healthcare.
Old 10-18-17, 03:37 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts

Americans need to stop eating so much fucking food.
But if you look at the chart the calorie intake is actually going down, but we're still getting fatter. I think Americans are more sedentary that ever as well. We're sitting on our asses watching TV, playing video games and sitting on the computer.
Old 10-18-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
You look at a glass of milk and think it's only a glass of milk. But within the parameters of "staying thin", that 8 ounce glass of milk has more calories than you're supposed to eat in 8-or-so hours.
An 8-ounce glass of 2% milk only has 120 calories. Pretty sure you can consume more calories than that in an 8-hour period.
Old 10-18-17, 03:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Have you noticed there is sugar in practically EVERYTHING these days? I don't understand why they think they need to put sugar in most of the stuff we eat. Is it to addict us to the foods we consume? To make us eat more and more and more of it? My wife agrees sugar is the main culprit but adds that carbs are a major contributing factor as well. I think we can blame the companies who prepare most of the food we eat for a lot of our problems. So to address the obesity issue we need to address the major food producers. That doesn't leave each individual off the hook for what they stuff in their face but most people don't worry about what's in most of their food, they just eat it and depend on the people who make the shit to take care of us. Until we can wake people up to what they're stuffing in their faces, and the companies that make this shit, we're doomed to continue the cycle of ever-increasing obesity rates.

Like Pink Floyd said in Breathe: We race towards an early grave.

Last edited by kd5; 10-18-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 534 Likes on 344 Posts

I'll bet that LOTS of Stress/Emotional Eating is a factor too.
Old 10-18-17, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
What do we have to be stressed about these days? (twitch)
Old 10-18-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, I'm ok with sugar in sweets and things you expect to contain it, but there's waaaaay too much of it in food. I've never been cooking myself dinner and thought "this needs 1/4 cup of sugar!", but you'll find it in frozen dinners, canned food, restaurant meals, etc.

Yes, I think it's so we remain addicted to that food:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bliss_point_(food)
Old 10-18-17, 04:24 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I'd be willing to bet that convenience is also a contributing factor. The busier we get, the more we take on ourselves, the faster our lifestyles become, the more we expect to be able to eat conveniently. Companies know this, create more and more convenience foods, and cram more unhealthy ingredients into it which makes us want more and more of it, ie: addicted to eating crap.
Old 10-18-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 445 Likes on 319 Posts

Those percentages seem low.
Old 10-18-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Those percentages seem low.
Pardon my stereotyping... In KY, they probably are.
Old 10-18-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

If this truly is an epidemic, here are some steps we could take...

- Ban refined white sugar and high fructose corn syrup as a regular food additive and regulate sugar like alcohol.
- Ban all food advertising to children
- End the corn subsidy
- Subsidize fruit and vegetables growers instead

If you're going to have any realistic shot at even slowing down this epidemic, you have to make healthy food considerably cheaper than junk food. Especially since it starts with children and can mess up their bodies for life.

But of course the food industry would fight any of this tooth and nail.
Old 10-18-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 360 Likes on 233 Posts

I think eating junk food is just as impacting as a sedentary lifestyle. We are a large country and things are very spread out so we do a lot of driving vs. walking. When I travel abroad I noticed most of the other countries where people are much thinner - there are very few cars. Mostly bikes and walking.

If we didn't have to go 5 miles to the nearest market and we didn't live in tract homes that made walking to places more difficult I think we'd be in much better shape.
Old 10-18-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

The number of people with jobs that require sitting all day -- from office work to driving a truck -- certainly doesn't help. Combine that with long commutes and television as the No. 1 form of entertainment, a lot of people are screwed before you even consider their diets.

With that said, I think our sedentary nature is secondary compared with the crap we call normal food today. Just look at how much space in the average grocery store is devoted to beer, chips, cereal, soda and ice cream.
Old 10-18-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 534 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
The number of people with jobs that require sitting all day -- from office work to driving a truck -- certainly doesn't help. Combine that with long commutes and television as the No. 1 form of entertainment, a lot of people are screwed before you even consider their diets.

With that said, I think our sedentary nature is secondary compared with the crap we call normal food today. Just look at how much space in the average grocery store is devoted to beer, chips, cereal, soda and ice cream.
TRUTH.

I have to make myself get up and move around. Force myself to walk to go get lunch. I know people who literally sit at their desk ALL DAY LONG...eat lunch a their desk...barely even get up for any kind of breaks bathroom or otherwise. By the end of the day their legs are barely able to move and their backs are fucked up. Then they have to get to the car only to be stuck in LA traffic for a couple hours.

I do see more of my co-workers ordering standing desk units and/or Monitor stands that can be raised to standing height.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.