DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 10-12-17, 12:54 PM   #51
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: What were bars like in the 80s and 90s?

I would go to bars to see bands play. I always hated how my cloths and hair smelled like smoke afterwards.
Old 10-12-17, 11:56 PM   #52
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, even in the late 2000s, bars in Virginia allowed smoking. We'd prefer going to D.C. in large part because of their no smoking rules.
Old 10-13-17, 04:40 AM   #53

My memory is fuzzy. All I can remember is jukeboxes, pool tables, and dim, overhead lights.
Old 10-13-17, 06:04 AM   #54
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In my day, smoking and drinking at bars just went together, it was part of it. I smoked, lots of people did back then, and nobody cared, or nobody pitched a bitch about it. I though it was crazy stupid when they wanted to outlaw smoking in bars. Now I don't smoke and don't go to bars so I don't give a shit.

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 10-13-17, 07:01 AM   #55
DVD Talk Legend

I got married in 86 and our son was born in 89 so my days of going into bars were over before the 90's except for a rare occasion. I do remember the smoke. Man there was smoke everywhere. The next morning your clothes stunk to high heaven. Bowling alleys same thing. A lot of bowlers smoked, or a lot of smokers bowled depending on how you looked at it.

One thing I remember vividly from the 90's when I owned my own limousine service and we would take people bar hopping. It sucks to be the only sober person in a group of drunks. Girls were worse than the guys. Arguing and yelling at each other. Yeah occasionally you get to see a set of titties but for the most part, people rented a limousine to get shitfaced and they usually succeeded.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 257 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 10-13-17, 09:22 AM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

I turned 21 in 1992, but many bars in South FL were pretty lax if you looked 18. Back then I drank a TON of Miller Light. Ecch. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Never touched Budweiser or Coors though. I had some standards.

The only real difference, though, is the smoking, really. Oh, and the trivia games and, for awhile, Wii bowling and golf.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff
Old 10-13-17, 12:39 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
OP

Bars back in the days 80's and 90's were more meaningful. Lyrics made sense. Now today we have mumble rap and lame rap music.
Yup, live bands with no outrageous cover charges. Drinking age was 19 in 1985 in Minnesota and it was awesome. I would go back in a heart beat. Music meant something back then. Except after 1994 but that is another thread. Much simpler time.

The really cool places were always packed with people drink specials all the time.

25 cent tap beers usually until 9:00-10:00 you would fill up your table and drink for under $5.00 all night. Incredibly easy to meet the opposite sex and start conversations and dance if you wanted to. Way easier to socialize than the places called bars now.
Old 10-13-17, 01:55 PM   #58
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Drinking age was 19 in 1985 in Minnesota and it was awesome.
This was a big deal. I don't know how other states did it, but Georgia gradually raised the drinking age, so if you were old enough to drink (18) on July 1, 1985, you'd remain able to drink until you turned 21. Those "lucky kids" were like gold in most social circles. I had a neighbor who was one, and he got me booze for a couple years. My first "real" girlfriend* was one of those kids, and my friends were more in awe that she could buy liquor than anything else. And a funny thing: there was a girl at my high school - she was a senior when I was a freshman - who had a rough family life and had dropped out a couple times. But she kept coming back to school and eventually graduated, being the only girl at school who could legally drink at her own graduation party!

Since smoking has been mentioned so much in this thread... it's hard to believe that my high school had a student smoking area. They only got rid of it the year I showed up (1986). Funny thing is, they didn't get rid of it because "kids shouldn't smoke", they got rid of it because some kids were smoking joints there, and the school didn't want the hassle of having someone monitor the area. My assistant principal caught me smoking 3-4 times, and he just told me that I should know better, and asked me to put it out... unlike now, where I guess kids get the death penalty for smoking in school.

* - "real" girlfriend as in, "the first one with a car and her own place", as opposed to the "we held hands in homeroom" girlfriends of 8th grade or the "my mom took us to the movies and her mom picked us up" girlfriends of 9th grade.
Old 10-13-17, 02:05 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

To avoid kids smoking in the bathrooms, there was a designated smoking area outside at my high school as well. I graduated in 77 and my wife in 79. We went to the same high school but didn't know each other. Not sure when they finally got rid of it.
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 257 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 390 BR titles, 23 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 57 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 10-13-17, 02:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Since smoking has been mentioned so much in this thread... it's hard to believe that my high school had a student smoking area. They only got rid of it the year I showed up (1986). Funny thing is, they didn't get rid of it because "kids shouldn't smoke", they got rid of it because some kids were smoking joints there, and the school didn't want the hassle of having someone monitor the area. My assistant principal caught me smoking 3-4 times, and he just told me that I should know better, and asked me to put it out... unlike now, where I guess kids get the death penalty for smoking in school.
My high school had a smoking area too. But to smoke, you had to have your parents sign a permission slip. I got my parents to sign it. They were reluctant at first, but after some begging and pleading they gave in.

The smoking area was where all the cool kids hung out. And if you didn't have a permission slip, you were left out.

Today, I can't imagine a smoking area in school, or any parent signing that slip.
Old 10-13-17, 05:36 PM   #61
DVD Talk Legend

Wtf? I didn't know individual states had different drinking ages. How did that work, and when did that stop? Also I'm drinking a Pacifico at a rooftop bar (rooftops...another relatively new trend) as I'm writing this.

The concept of an official smoking area at a high school is nuts- but mine certainly had an unofficial location which everyone knew of, as I'm sure many others did as well.
Old 10-13-17, 07:15 PM   #62
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Wtf? I didn't know individual states had different drinking ages. How did that work, and when did that stop? Also I'm drinking a Pacifico at a rooftop bar (rooftops...another relatively new trend) as I'm writing this.
All states set their own drinking age.

However, they're all currently 21 because in the 1980s MADD strongarmed Reagan and Congress to force states to raise the drinking age to 21 in order to receive federal highway funds.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 10-13-17, 07:43 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh man, our school had an official smoking area too. Can't even imagine that now.

And here in Canada the drinking age is 19. I live in a border town, so we have lots of 19-20 old Americans coming over here to drink.
Old 10-13-17, 08:45 PM   #64
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Wtf? I didn't know individual states had different drinking ages. How did that work, and when did that stop?
I believe states were a bit of a mish-mash between 18-21 before the Vietnam War, during which most states lowered their drinking ages to 18 (under the "if you can die for your country, you should be able to have a beer" logic).

In the early 80s, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers became a political force, pushing Congress to raise the drinking age. However, drinking ages had always been the responsibility of the states, and many felt the feds would lose if a state sued over this. Instead, Congress and the Reagan Administration came up with a plan whereby states could keep the drinking age whatever they wanted, but only those states that raised it to 21 would get federal highway funding. IIRC, some states - like Louisiana - held out for a few years, trying hotel\motel and\or liquor taxes to try to make up the difference. In the end, though, every state caved and now the drinking age in every state is 21.

Like I said, Georgia gradually raised the drinking age, so if you were old enough to drink on July 1, 1985 when the new law went into effect you'd always be able to drink. I can't imagine the anger and disappointment kids who turned 18 on July 2, 1985 must have felt.
Old 10-13-17, 08:56 PM   #65
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
The Wall Street Journal: Fortysomethings Are the New Club Kids

Night spots tout after-dinner dancing, disco music and pricey booze to draw in older patrons
I noticed this trend. It does feel weird that in my late 20's I felt "old" at most bars/clubs but now I am in my mid 30's and when I go to most bars/clubs I am younger then half or sometimes more of the patrons. That's basically what Ibiza is like now,the people who went in the 90's and aughts are basically still some of the same people who went in the 90s and aughts
Old 10-14-17, 05:56 AM   #66
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
I believe states were a bit of a mish-mash between 18-21 before the Vietnam War, during which most states lowered their drinking ages to 18 (under the "if you can die for your country, you should be able to have a beer" logic).
Many states lowered the drinking age at the same time the voting age was lowered to 18 ("old enough to fight, old enough to vote"). I lived in Iowa which lowered it to 18. My senior year of high school we would hit a bar after school.
I moved to Missouri right after school which was 21. I routinely make road trips back to the home town to party. I'd bring some 19-20 year old friends with me.

As to smoking. As late as the eighties you could smoke in doctor's waiting rooms, hospital patients could smoke in bed, people walked around in stores smoking. In high school smoking was only permitted in the teacher's lounge. Even though 18 year old students could legally smoke they couldn't smoke on school property because they didn't have a designated area.
Old 10-14-17, 06:21 AM   #67
kd5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if there were any other states that did this but in Ohio back in the early 70's when I was just turning 18, we had what was called 3.2 (or 3.2% alcohol beer) for 18 year olds, in addition to the "high-powered" beers that were only legal for 21+ year olds. I remember feeling like a little outlaw when we were able to coerce our older brothers and friends to buy us "high-powered" beer, felt like we were getting away with something...

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 10-14-17, 06:23 AM   #68
DVD Talk Legend

I turned 18 in 77 so I was well before the change.

NY:

New York State raised its minimum drinking age from 18 to 19 years in 1982. Then New York State raised its minimum drinking age from 19 to 21 years on December 1, 1985.

I love that scene in JAWS where the mayor is in the hospital smoking. Even if you're a smoker you have to admit that was pretty crazy. Smoking in the bars never bothered me much, it was expected. But when I started dating my now wife, she has allergies and the smoke really bothered her. So if it was going to make it easier for me to get laid, I was happy to have the smoking ban.

Last edited by JimRochester; 10-14-17 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-14-17, 06:40 AM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

This is still the 70's I'm talking about but I met my wife because we used to drive 30 minutes to her college for 25 beers. They were 90 locally. Even though we went to the same high school we didn't know each other because she was younger than I was. But she was my buddy's girlfriend's roommate. So we'd drive 30 minutes down the road after already drinking at bowling, drink 25 beers until 1 or 2, try to hookup then drive home completely hammered at 2 or 3 in the morning. Most of us escaped any consequences of our stupidity but I did have one friend that died at 18 from drunken driving. My aforementioned buddy also drove into a telephone pole but miraculously survived relatively unscathed. The car was totaled, he barely had a scratch on him.
Old 10-14-17, 09:58 AM   #70
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
What were bars like in the 80s and 90s
Fun.
Old 10-14-17, 10:10 AM   #71
DVD Talk Legend

I grew up on the Missouri side of the Kansas City metro area. The drinking age became 21 on a federal level in 1986, the year I turned 21. When I was in high school, if you were eighteen you could drive over to the Kansas side and drink 3.2 "near beer" in 18-and-up bars there, like Pogo's or Bananas. I remember Pogo's was off I-35 and 75th Street in Merriam. I never went there because I didn't like REAL beer, let alone piss-weak stuff like 3.2. I'm a cocktail kinda girl ...

I didn't go to bars when I was underage, but I was able to buy liquor in liquor stores (they didn't sell it in grocery stores back then) from the age of 19 because I looked old enough. I would buy those nasty wine coolers that were so popular back then. I gag thinking of them now.
Old 10-14-17, 01:39 PM   #72
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberdave View Post
Wait, you went to Alabama? I'd have been drinking, too.

Wait, I was drinking.
I had a great time at the University of Alabama. At first, I didn't like it....too preppy.....but I found a cool indie record store (Vinyl Solution) and met a number of cool people. There was also a bar called The Chukker that booked punk bands.
Old 10-14-17, 01:44 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The drinking age in Alabama was 18 when I was in college. At 21, I moved to Los Angeles and the drinking age was 21.
Old 10-14-17, 01:46 PM   #74
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
But when you fuck your sister, do you yell Roll Tide?
No.....but I did get together with a number of frat boys who were on the down low.
Old 10-14-17, 02:14 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSky View Post
No.....but I did get together with a number of frat boys who were on the down low.
Did you really. In the early 1980s, there wasn't anyone more loudly homophobic than frat boys.

ETA: Tone gets lost. I think it's pretty funny.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 10-14-17 at 04:25 PM.