Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should I risk eating other half of my eggplant sub?
Yes
12
50.00%
No
12
50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Getting Old Sucks

Old 10-15-17, 11:25 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,662
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Talking about fucked up hearing... My mother (82) hears music when things are quiet. She kept telling me she was hearing Christmas carols, when I was speaking with her on the phone. I figured it was her neighbours. Then she was hearing music when I was at her apartment. There wasn't any. Sometimes it's music that is familiar to her, sometimes not.

Turns out there is a condition called Music Ear Syndrome, typically occurring in people that have lost some of their hearing (she has). Her doctor initially thought she has just having hallucinations, and was concerned for her well being, but it is limited to 'auditory hallucinations' and really not a problem, other than that it can be annoying.
andicus is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:20 AM
  #102  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tasha99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: the North
Posts: 5,815
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Talking about fucked up hearing... My mother (82) hears music when things are quiet. She kept telling me she was hearing Christmas carols, when I was speaking with her on the phone. I figured it was her neighbours. Then she was hearing music when I was at her apartment. There wasn't any. Sometimes it's music that is familiar to her, sometimes not.

Turns out there is a condition called Music Ear Syndrome, typically occurring in people that have lost some of their hearing (she has). Her doctor initially thought she has just having hallucinations, and was concerned for her well being, but it is limited to 'auditory hallucinations' and really not a problem, other than that it can be annoying.
I hear music sometimes when there's white noise. If I turn off the fan, the music disappears when it's quiet. My mind just makes it up to fill in the blank space of white noise, I think.
tasha99 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 08:38 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,662
Re: Getting Old Sucks

^That's interesting, as I've read that as an explanation for the condition. In people with hearing loss, the brain is trying to fill in the blanks.
andicus is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:41 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
funkyryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,732
Re: Getting Old Sucks

This thread is definitely a candidate for the Depressing Thread of the Year award.
funkyryno is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 12:45 PM
  #105  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 5,735
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
This thread is definitely a candidate for the Depressing Thread of the Year award.
If we keep this thread at the top, we're sure to attract a ton of new members.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 03:57 PM
  #106  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,544
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Need a sticky thread for bargains on adult diapers in the Hot Deals forum.
rw2516 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 05:12 PM
  #107  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,257
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Talking about fucked up hearing... My mother (82) hears music when things are quiet. She kept telling me she was hearing Christmas carols, when I was speaking with her on the phone. I figured it was her neighbours. Then she was hearing music when I was at her apartment. There wasn't any. Sometimes it's music that is familiar to her, sometimes not.

Turns out there is a condition called Music Ear Syndrome, typically occurring in people that have lost some of their hearing (she has). Her doctor initially thought she has just having hallucinations, and was concerned for her well being, but it is limited to 'auditory hallucinations' and really not a problem, other than that it can be annoying.
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I hear music sometimes when there's white noise. If I turn off the fan, the music disappears when it's quiet. My mind just makes it up to fill in the blank space of white noise, I think.

I heard music once that wasn't there, of course at the time I was doing windowpane. Damn pipe organ in my friend's living room was playing quietly but when I turned around quickly and looked there wasn't anybody there...


My god, that was 40+ years ago...
kd5 is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 05:29 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,732
Re: Getting Old Sucks

What are you people doing in my house??? Get the fuck out of here!
eXcentris is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 06:16 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,121
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Need a sticky thread for bargains on adult diapers in the Hot Deals forum.
Or rather, a stinky thread.
cultshock is offline  
Old 10-16-17, 07:39 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
andicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,662
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I heard music once that wasn't there, of course at the time I was doing windowpane. Damn pipe organ in my friend's living room was playing quietly but when I turned around quickly and looked there wasn't anybody there...


My god, that was 40+ years ago...


Well, I was there once when she heard it, so I know she wasn't tripping.
andicus is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 12:57 AM
  #111  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,654
Re: Getting Old Sucks

A couple more things to close this thread out:

I don't know how much stuff is supposed to cost. I loved Chuck Taylor high-tops as a teen, and probably had 15 pairs of the things in high school. They usually cost around $25, give or take. I stopped wearing them after high school, but was in the market for a new pair of shoes a couple years ago. I saw a pair of Chucks at the shoe store and about had a heart attack: FIFTY EFFIN' DOLLARS FOR CONVERSE HIGH TOPS? THIS IS SOME KIND OF HIPSTER RIPOFF! It took a moment to remember the lessons of my college macroeconomics classes: "in a healthy economy, prices double every 23-24 years". And when was the last time I bought a pair? 1989? That was 26 years ago. Perhaps they're cheaper than they should be. But if that's true, why do albums generally cost less now than they did then? My GF bought a new hair dryer a couple months ago. $60. Is that a lot for a hair dryer? Is that, like, bottom of the barrel, or middle of the road? I haven't been involved in a hair dryer purchase since 1987... I have no idea.

I don't know what happened to things I used to love. From childhood to my mid 20s, I was a connoisseur of gas station pastries. Twinkies... Zingers... Ding Dongs... HoHos... fruit pies... I loved them all. Somewhere along the line they just got... gross. But I don't know if my taste buds are changing, or if they've changed the recipes or what. All I know is, my GF is a type 1 diabetic, and sometimes buys Twinkies or Little Debbies to keep in the bedroom for nocturnal low blood sugar episodes. 20 years ago, I woulda "borrowed" a snack or two all the time... nowadays, I never even look at the damn box, much less think of taking one. I find a lot of friends my age are like this with other stuff, especially fast food. I'm not talking about McDonald's being "unhealthy" or "messing up your stomach". I'm talking about a "I loved it until my 20s, now I only eat it in an emergency" kind of thing,
Rex Fenestrarum is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 03:56 AM
  #112  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Need a sticky thread for bargains on adult diapers in the Hot Deals forum.
Pun intended, no doubt.

Btw...what time does Bingo start?
creekdipper is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 10:05 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 29,732
Re: Getting Old Sucks

eXcentris is offline  
Old 10-23-17, 10:09 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,894
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Well I had an arthritis flare up in my knee and to the best of my knowledge didn't twist it or tweak it in any way. Ended up having to go to urgent care cause I could barely walk and I didn't know what was going on. I'm 42 and my body feels so old. I guess I have arthritis flare ups to look forward to where I walk like a cripple for a couple of days at a time to look forward to in my future. As a bonus I didn't even have time to pick up the anti-inflammatory prescription before the pain and stiffness went away.
Timber is offline  
Old 10-24-17, 09:16 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,190
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
A couple more things to close this thread out:

I don't know how much stuff is supposed to cost. I loved Chuck Taylor high-tops as a teen, and probably had 15 pairs of the things in high school. They usually cost around $25, give or take. I stopped wearing them after high school, but was in the market for a new pair of shoes a couple years ago. I saw a pair of Chucks at the shoe store and about had a heart attack: FIFTY EFFIN' DOLLARS FOR CONVERSE HIGH TOPS? THIS IS SOME KIND OF HIPSTER RIPOFF! It took a moment to remember the lessons of my college macroeconomics classes: "in a healthy economy, prices double every 23-24 years". And when was the last time I bought a pair? 1989? That was 26 years ago. Perhaps they're cheaper than they should be. But if that's true, why do albums generally cost less now than they did then? My GF bought a new hair dryer a couple months ago. $60. Is that a lot for a hair dryer? Is that, like, bottom of the barrel, or middle of the road? I haven't been involved in a hair dryer purchase since 1987... I have no idea.
I feel that way about paperback books. In my mind, they should still be less than $5 off the shelf. When I see new books going for $10 or more in the store, feels way too expensive.

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post

I don't know what happened to things I used to love. From childhood to my mid 20s, I was a connoisseur of gas station pastries. Twinkies... Zingers... Ding Dongs... HoHos... fruit pies... I loved them all. Somewhere along the line they just got... gross. But I don't know if my taste buds are changing, or if they've changed the recipes or what. All I know is, my GF is a type 1 diabetic, and sometimes buys Twinkies or Little Debbies to keep in the bedroom for nocturnal low blood sugar episodes. 20 years ago, I woulda "borrowed" a snack or two all the time... nowadays, I never even look at the damn box, much less think of taking one. I find a lot of friends my age are like this with other stuff, especially fast food. I'm not talking about McDonald's being "unhealthy" or "messing up your stomach". I'm talking about a "I loved it until my 20s, now I only eat it in an emergency" kind of thing,
I still love that kind of food, but feel too crappy eating it. I used to have a honey bun for breakfast every morning in my 20s. Now I feel like I'm doing major damage ingesting 100 carbs in a few minutes. I almost cringe when I see people buying crap out of the vending machine at work.
dvdjunkie32 is offline  
Old 10-24-17, 02:31 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
William Fuld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 3,616
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Last Christmas "Peace On Earth/The Little Drummer Boy" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie came on the radio at work. I explained to a younger co-worker how odd the pairing was and who Bing Crosby was. Her response was "Who's David Bowie?"
William Fuld is offline  
Old 10-24-17, 03:25 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,503
Re: Getting Old Sucks

My 22-year old niece from out of town flew into town (going to college here, locally), into John Wayne airport - she asked me, with complete honesty; "Who's John Wayne?"

Not that she should know, but that I know only because I'm old. It would like if I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was her age.
slop101 is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 10:30 AM
  #118  
2017 TOTY Winner
 
Save Ferris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 13,578
Re: Getting Old Sucks

My friend's kid saw a 3.5" Diskette and said "Ha, cool-- you 3D printed the Save icon"
Save Ferris is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 10:46 AM
  #119  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 12,121
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
My 22-year old niece from out of town flew into town (going to college here, locally), into John Wayne airport - she asked me, with complete honesty; "Who's John Wayne?"

Not that she should know, but that I know only because I'm old. It would like if I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was her age.

I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was in my 20's (hell, I knew who he was when I was 10) but my father is a huge movie nut and I was exposed to a lot of old films at an early age, so I was probably an exception.

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
My friend's kid saw a 3.5" Diskette and said "Ha, cool-- you 3D printed the Save icon"
Ouch! Wonder what his reaction would be to seeing a 5 1/4" disk.
cultshock is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 12:44 PM
  #120  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
danwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 1,849
Re: Getting Old Sucks

Diagnosed with cataracts yesterday. Surgery not recommended yet, but the eye doctor wants to see me again in 6 months to determine how rapidly they are progressing. Guess maybe I'm getting old, but crap, I'm only 70!
danwiz is offline  
Old 10-25-17, 01:31 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,332
Re: Getting Old Sucks

I'm six weeks out from 40 and have been feeling pretty old, but this thread makes me feel a bit younger by comparison. On the upside, I'm on my second year of getting into running and am in the best physical shape I've been in since I was a teenager. I also am a couple years out from quitting smoking and that helps quite a bit.

On the negative side, I get less good sleep. Random aches and pains will pop up for a couple days or weeks and then disappear and I generally feel at least a little bit sore most of the time. I have to deal with things like hemorrhoids and occasional weird skin rashes. My memory isn't necessarily bad, but it used to be extremely good and now it hiccups on me frequently. Watching my family one generation up is tough. Lost my last grandparent two years ago. Lost an uncle to cancer this year. Have an aunt with early onset Alzheimer's who still knows who we are, but not much else, and keeps 'learning' that her husband's dead. My dad has Parkinson's that's progressing.

On the upside, I've got a two-year-old and three-month-old and they simultaneously make me feel younger and older. They've been the impetus for my quitting smoking, starting running and eating healthier. Almost all the men on both sides of my family kick it before 70, so I'm doing what I can to maximize my chances of seeing them at least into their early 20s.
maxfisher is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.