Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should I risk eating other half of my eggplant sub?
Yes
50.00%
No
50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Getting Old Sucks

Old 10-15-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Getting Old Sucks

Talking about fucked up hearing... My mother (82) hears music when things are quiet. She kept telling me she was hearing Christmas carols, when I was speaking with her on the phone. I figured it was her neighbours. Then she was hearing music when I was at her apartment. There wasn't any. Sometimes it's music that is familiar to her, sometimes not.

Turns out there is a condition called Music Ear Syndrome, typically occurring in people that have lost some of their hearing (she has). Her doctor initially thought she has just having hallucinations, and was concerned for her well being, but it is limited to 'auditory hallucinations' and really not a problem, other than that it can be annoying.
Old 10-16-17, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Talking about fucked up hearing... My mother (82) hears music when things are quiet. She kept telling me she was hearing Christmas carols, when I was speaking with her on the phone. I figured it was her neighbours. Then she was hearing music when I was at her apartment. There wasn't any. Sometimes it's music that is familiar to her, sometimes not.

Turns out there is a condition called Music Ear Syndrome, typically occurring in people that have lost some of their hearing (she has). Her doctor initially thought she has just having hallucinations, and was concerned for her well being, but it is limited to 'auditory hallucinations' and really not a problem, other than that it can be annoying.
I hear music sometimes when there's white noise. If I turn off the fan, the music disappears when it's quiet. My mind just makes it up to fill in the blank space of white noise, I think.
Old 10-16-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^That's interesting, as I've read that as an explanation for the condition. In people with hearing loss, the brain is trying to fill in the blanks.
Old 10-16-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This thread is definitely a candidate for the Depressing Thread of the Year award.
Old 10-16-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
This thread is definitely a candidate for the Depressing Thread of the Year award.
If we keep this thread at the top, we're sure to attract a ton of new members.
Old 10-16-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Need a sticky thread for bargains on adult diapers in the Hot Deals forum.
Old 10-16-17, 05:12 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by andicus View Post

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
I hear music sometimes when there's white noise. If I turn off the fan, the music disappears when it's quiet. My mind just makes it up to fill in the blank space of white noise, I think.

I heard music once that wasn't there, of course at the time I was doing windowpane. Damn pipe organ in my friend's living room was playing quietly but when I turned around quickly and looked there wasn't anybody there...

My god, that was 40+ years ago...
Old 10-16-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What are you people doing in my house??? Get the fuck out of here!
Old 10-16-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Or rather, a stinky thread.
Old 10-16-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I heard music once that wasn't there, of course at the time I was doing windowpane. Damn pipe organ in my friend's living room was playing quietly but when I turned around quickly and looked there wasn't anybody there...

My god, that was 40+ years ago...

Well, I was there once when she heard it, so I know she wasn't tripping.
Old 10-23-17, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A couple more things to close this thread out:

I don't know how much stuff is supposed to cost. I loved Chuck Taylor high-tops as a teen, and probably had 15 pairs of the things in high school. They usually cost around $25, give or take. I stopped wearing them after high school, but was in the market for a new pair of shoes a couple years ago. I saw a pair of Chucks at the shoe store and about had a heart attack: FIFTY EFFIN' DOLLARS FOR CONVERSE HIGH TOPS? THIS IS SOME KIND OF HIPSTER RIPOFF! It took a moment to remember the lessons of my college macroeconomics classes: "in a healthy economy, prices double every 23-24 years". And when was the last time I bought a pair? 1989? That was 26 years ago. Perhaps they're cheaper than they should be. But if that's true, why do albums generally cost less now than they did then? My GF bought a new hair dryer a couple months ago. $60. Is that a lot for a hair dryer? Is that, like, bottom of the barrel, or middle of the road? I haven't been involved in a hair dryer purchase since 1987... I have no idea.

I don't know what happened to things I used to love. From childhood to my mid 20s, I was a connoisseur of gas station pastries. Twinkies... Zingers... Ding Dongs... HoHos... fruit pies... I loved them all. Somewhere along the line they just got... gross. But I don't know if my taste buds are changing, or if they've changed the recipes or what. All I know is, my GF is a type 1 diabetic, and sometimes buys Twinkies or Little Debbies to keep in the bedroom for nocturnal low blood sugar episodes. 20 years ago, I woulda "borrowed" a snack or two all the time... nowadays, I never even look at the damn box, much less think of taking one. I find a lot of friends my age are like this with other stuff, especially fast food. I'm not talking about McDonald's being "unhealthy" or "messing up your stomach". I'm talking about a "I loved it until my 20s, now I only eat it in an emergency" kind of thing,
Old 10-23-17, 03:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Pun intended, no doubt.

Btw...what time does Bingo start?
Old 10-23-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-23-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I had an arthritis flare up in my knee and to the best of my knowledge didn't twist it or tweak it in any way. Ended up having to go to urgent care cause I could barely walk and I didn't know what was going on. I'm 42 and my body feels so old. I guess I have arthritis flare ups to look forward to where I walk like a cripple for a couple of days at a time to look forward to in my future. As a bonus I didn't even have time to pick up the anti-inflammatory prescription before the pain and stiffness went away.
Old 10-24-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
A couple more things to close this thread out:

I don't know how much stuff is supposed to cost. I loved Chuck Taylor high-tops as a teen, and probably had 15 pairs of the things in high school. They usually cost around $25, give or take. I stopped wearing them after high school, but was in the market for a new pair of shoes a couple years ago. I saw a pair of Chucks at the shoe store and about had a heart attack: FIFTY EFFIN' DOLLARS FOR CONVERSE HIGH TOPS? THIS IS SOME KIND OF HIPSTER RIPOFF! It took a moment to remember the lessons of my college macroeconomics classes: "in a healthy economy, prices double every 23-24 years". And when was the last time I bought a pair? 1989? That was 26 years ago. Perhaps they're cheaper than they should be. But if that's true, why do albums generally cost less now than they did then? My GF bought a new hair dryer a couple months ago. $60. Is that a lot for a hair dryer? Is that, like, bottom of the barrel, or middle of the road? I haven't been involved in a hair dryer purchase since 1987... I have no idea.
I feel that way about paperback books. In my mind, they should still be less than $5 off the shelf. When I see new books going for $10 or more in the store, feels way too expensive.

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post

I don't know what happened to things I used to love. From childhood to my mid 20s, I was a connoisseur of gas station pastries. Twinkies... Zingers... Ding Dongs... HoHos... fruit pies... I loved them all. Somewhere along the line they just got... gross. But I don't know if my taste buds are changing, or if they've changed the recipes or what. All I know is, my GF is a type 1 diabetic, and sometimes buys Twinkies or Little Debbies to keep in the bedroom for nocturnal low blood sugar episodes. 20 years ago, I woulda "borrowed" a snack or two all the time... nowadays, I never even look at the damn box, much less think of taking one. I find a lot of friends my age are like this with other stuff, especially fast food. I'm not talking about McDonald's being "unhealthy" or "messing up your stomach". I'm talking about a "I loved it until my 20s, now I only eat it in an emergency" kind of thing,
I still love that kind of food, but feel too crappy eating it. I used to have a honey bun for breakfast every morning in my 20s. Now I feel like I'm doing major damage ingesting 100 carbs in a few minutes. I almost cringe when I see people buying crap out of the vending machine at work.
Old 10-24-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Last Christmas "Peace On Earth/The Little Drummer Boy" by Bing Crosby and David Bowie came on the radio at work. I explained to a younger co-worker how odd the pairing was and who Bing Crosby was. Her response was "Who's David Bowie?"
Old 10-24-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My 22-year old niece from out of town flew into town (going to college here, locally), into John Wayne airport - she asked me, with complete honesty; "Who's John Wayne?"

Not that she should know, but that I know only because I'm old. It would like if I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was her age.
Old 10-25-17, 10:30 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

My friend's kid saw a 3.5" Diskette and said "Ha, cool-- you 3D printed the Save icon"
Old 10-25-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
My 22-year old niece from out of town flew into town (going to college here, locally), into John Wayne airport - she asked me, with complete honesty; "Who's John Wayne?"

Not that she should know, but that I know only because I'm old. It would like if I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was her age.

I knew who Harold Lloyd was when I was in my 20's (hell, I knew who he was when I was 10) but my father is a huge movie nut and I was exposed to a lot of old films at an early age, so I was probably an exception.

Originally Posted by Save Ferris View Post
My friend's kid saw a 3.5" Diskette and said "Ha, cool-- you 3D printed the Save icon"
Ouch! Wonder what his reaction would be to seeing a 5 1/4" disk.
Old 10-25-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Diagnosed with cataracts yesterday. Surgery not recommended yet, but the eye doctor wants to see me again in 6 months to determine how rapidly they are progressing. Guess maybe I'm getting old, but crap, I'm only 70!
Old 10-25-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm six weeks out from 40 and have been feeling pretty old, but this thread makes me feel a bit younger by comparison. On the upside, I'm on my second year of getting into running and am in the best physical shape I've been in since I was a teenager. I also am a couple years out from quitting smoking and that helps quite a bit.

On the negative side, I get less good sleep. Random aches and pains will pop up for a couple days or weeks and then disappear and I generally feel at least a little bit sore most of the time. I have to deal with things like hemorrhoids and occasional weird skin rashes. My memory isn't necessarily bad, but it used to be extremely good and now it hiccups on me frequently. Watching my family one generation up is tough. Lost my last grandparent two years ago. Lost an uncle to cancer this year. Have an aunt with early onset Alzheimer's who still knows who we are, but not much else, and keeps 'learning' that her husband's dead. My dad has Parkinson's that's progressing.

On the upside, I've got a two-year-old and three-month-old and they simultaneously make me feel younger and older. They've been the impetus for my quitting smoking, starting running and eating healthier. Almost all the men on both sides of my family kick it before 70, so I'm doing what I can to maximize my chances of seeing them at least into their early 20s.