DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   What's the furthest you've commuted for a job? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/641651-whats-furthest-youve-commuted-job.html)

OldBoy 10-04-17 07:56 PM

What's the furthest you've commuted for a job?

and how long was job?

mine was about 42 min. one way. not a bad drive, but a drive nonetheless. 4 years. good place, good drive...

yours? was it worth it?

thinking about 47-50 minute drive now. not sure...

movieguru 10-04-17 08:04 PM

Re: What's the furthest you've commuted for a job?

I had to commute almost 50 miles each way. My district manager said he didn't think I was ready to run a slow location so he decided to send me to a location that was 3 times as busy and 40 miles further away.

Abob Teff 10-04-17 08:10 PM

For a specific work location? About 65-70 minutes one way for an entire year.

Most of my life I have been about 30 minutes from work. I can only think of one job where I was closer than that (and I was less than 10 minutes away).

For the last 5-6 years I have covered a territory and it isn't unusual for me to make 2-hour treks one way. For a while I "needed" that time alone to decompress and I would get irritable if I didn't drive for a few days.

Max Bottomtime 10-04-17 08:15 PM

Long Beach to Burbank. 39 miles. In morning traffic, 1-2.5 hours. One night I got off work at midnight and had to be back at 6 am so I slept in the parking lot rather than drive home. I worked there six weeks and then quit.

Music 10-04-17 08:19 PM

21.3 miles is the longest.

Current is 7.2 miles, but I only go in twice a week.

VinVega 10-04-17 08:29 PM

I guess my current job is the furthest I've had to commute. It's about 18 miles each way and takes about 35 min driving in the morning and 45-50 min in the evening. When I lived in NY I was also about 18 miles from my office, but it took 1:15 each way due to car, train, subway each way.

GoldenJCJ 10-04-17 08:35 PM

For about a year when we moved into our new house I was travelling about 60+ Miles each way. It took a little over an hour each way, all interstate driving. That was on top of 12-16 hour days.

Troy Stiffler 10-04-17 08:36 PM

1-2 hours each way (the distant Phoenix suburbs, before they had proper roads). It was somewhere around 30-40 miles.

I was renting with friends and I think they hated me for moving out after only a few months. I couldn't take it.

Trevor 10-04-17 08:38 PM

Same job for 31 years. First 25 years was a 5-10 mile commute, maybe 30 minutes average in this hellacious DC area traffic. Last six years I've lived 45 miles away. Morning trip is pretty much exactly one hour. Evening commute is 80-120 minutes depending on traffic. Luckily I only work 3/4 days a week.

I don't think I could do a mile longer.

rbrown498 10-04-17 08:48 PM

For me, it was exactly 65 miles from my driveway to the school's parking lot. The commute was four-lane for all of it except for the last 8 or 9 miles, which was down a winding two-lane county road. I lasted approximate four-and-a-half months. That combined 2 1/2 hours of driving every weekday wore me down really, really quickly.

For the last seven years, my day job's commute's been about four miles one way. It's heaven. My night job commute is about 15 miles one way. It's certainly do-able.

tommyp007 10-04-17 09:37 PM

I took my job in TN and commuted an hour (50 miles) each way for a year until we moved.

Coral 10-04-17 10:25 PM

About 1 hour by train each way for around 20 years.

Re-organisation of my department has allowed me to work from home for the last 2.5 years.

story 10-04-17 10:31 PM

Wow, lots of long commutes. My current job is 10-15 minutes away, 20-25 in rush hour, 25-35 with detours.

Furthest I've commuted is 20-25 minutes, no traffic. Was 15-20 until I moved. Closest was living there, so down the hall.

I commuted 90 minutes one-way for grad school 2-3 days per week for three years. Usually 2 days each semester, except that one magic semester that was one day. Got a lot of audio books read this way.

tasha99 10-04-17 11:06 PM

Longest regular commute I've ever had was 50 minutes (to grad school). But I have had long commutes where I decided to rent a room. I worked at a hospital about 90 minutes south of where I live in Oregon and rented a room in a house. I made it home some days, but mostly not. I did that in Delaware, too--was living in NYC (or really, boyfriend was on the lease) and I commuted 2.5 hours, really only coming home on weekends. I tend to work jobs that pay for long commutes or hotels. Right now, I'm filling in anywhere, and I get paid my wage plus mileage after the first half hour on the road. Obviously, they try to put people close to where they live, but 90 minutes each way is pretty common (and I'm on the clock for 60 each way).

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 10-05-17 12:36 AM

My commute is about 30 miles. Door to door the longest it took was 3.5 hrs one way. Today it was a little over 2 hours due to significant congestion. Typically about 80-90 minutes.

Hazel Motes 10-05-17 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru (Post 13173278)
I had to commute almost 50 miles each way. My district manager said he didn't think I was ready to run a slow location so he decided to send me to a location that was 3 times as busy and 40 miles further away.

Not knowing what your job is makes your post perplexing. You're not ready for a slow location, so you were assigned a busy location. What kind of job do you have that slower is more difficult than busier?

Tom Banjo 10-05-17 04:01 AM

I had one for about 5 months that was 75 miles, and was a 12 hour night shift, 7 on 7 off. I did NOT get much sleep between shifts.

foxdvd 10-05-17 07:11 AM

15 years of a 1 hour and 45 minute drive each way...

I moved 10 years ago..and for the last 10 years 4 minutes. It is heaven.

Noonan 10-05-17 07:19 AM

Current job is about 60 miles away. The afternoon commute takes me anywhere from 1-2 hours.

Officer Cartman 10-05-17 11:21 AM

Had a commute that was exactly 1-hour door to door. Did it for about a year before taking another (better) job.

General Zod 10-05-17 11:26 AM

When I first got a job in Pasadena I had to commute from my home in Rosamond for the first 6 months. It's about 85 miles each way. Took about 1.5 hrs in the morning and 2 hrs at night.

pyro383 10-05-17 11:33 AM

For 9 years I had a 20min/9mi commute each way. Past 2 years its 2 1/2hrs via car,train,subway and walk/ each way.

davidh777 10-05-17 11:36 AM

For many years, I worked downtown, which was about a 40-minute bus ride (parking would've been expensive and/or a disaster). Then I switched to a job on the other side of our big lake, which meant a drive to the bus station, a bus over the bridge, then a walk. It was about 80 minutes in the morning and two hours in the evening. Driving all the way was a little faster, but traffic got terrible after about 3:30 p.m., and at least I could read on the bus.

DJariya 10-05-17 11:51 AM

A few years ago I worked a High School baseball all-star game for MLB Network and had to commute from my home in Orange County to San Diego. It's about a 90 minute to 2 hour drive depending on traffic. MLB paid for my hotel, gas and food expenses, so that was nice and made the job worth it. Plus, I got a nice check for my 2 days there.

nando820 10-05-17 11:51 AM

My current job is the farthest away, 24 miles from home. About 30-40 minutes each way. Been accustomed to short drives all my life so I kinda hate it a little bit (the drive not the job)