Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's the furthest you've commuted for a job?

Old 10-05-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: What's the furthest you've commuted for a job?

crazy!

my commute for the last 18 years has only been about 1.5 miles. takes about 10 minutes to bike to and from work
Old 10-05-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My current job is the furthest, 17 miles away. ~30 min drive in the morning and ~40 min in the evening.
Old 10-05-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Me - about 20 miles to go from Fremont to Mountain View (about 30 minutes max in moderate traffic), but my colleague commutes from Lodi to our office in Hayward (near the Union City Best Buy)!! I know, insane right, and she has been doing this for around 10 months and counting.
Old 10-05-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By car, it was about 1 1/2 hours each way. Lived in Chicago, worked in NW Indiana. That was about 25 years ago.
Now I take public transport. Work in Chicago, live in the burbs. About 1 1/4 hours each way. But at least I can read, sleep or watch things on my tablet.
Old 10-05-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was 56 miles away from work one way and drove that for 9 years. Typically it would take 60-70 minutes to get there and about the same to get home. My record for the longest time getting there was 3 hours in a storm and then 3 hours to get home on the same day. By the time I was going to try and go back home I was halfway there and figured by the time work ended the roads would be cleared. WRONG...

I recently just moved and I am now just 4 miles away and loving it. Never again will I drive that long.
Old 10-05-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a job that was 25-35 minutes away for about 5 years. But that was a long time ago and hard to imagine going back to that.
Old 10-05-17, 12:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
but my colleague commutes from Lodi to our office in Hayward (near the Union City Best Buy)!! I know, insane right, and she has been doing this for around 10 months and counting.
So, is that two minutes or three hours? Asking for the 99% of the forum that has no idea where these places are.
Old 10-05-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So, is that two minutes or three hours? Asking for the 99% of the forum that has no idea where these places are.
Heck, I grew up in the Bay Area and recognize the names, but have no idea how far away from each they are!
Old 10-05-17, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Hah, fair enough. Without knowing her exact address google maps shows it is probably an 80-83 mile commute that pretty much has to be accomplished by car, so quite the distance. It is around 90 minutes with regular traffic so she probably spends an hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours each way. I do wonder if that commute will eventually break her, but Lodi is not exactly the job mecca of the bay area so she has probably gotten used to long ass commutes (this is far from her first job).

Bay area commutes can be all over the map, as even short commutes can take an insane amount of time to travel, I always cringed that even without an accident in my area it would regularly take me at least 25-40 minutes just to go a hair over 6 miles (same time by freeway/surface) at my last job (a Fremont to Fremont commute no less).
Old 10-05-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Back in my freelance SPFX days I'd commute to bumfuck Menifee from L.A. It'd be almost 2 hours each way. What a pain in the ass.

Now, I'm blessed with working 1.5 miles away from work.
Old 10-05-17, 03:14 PM

I'm about 50 miles, which takes about an hour door-to-door. Been doing it for 14 years, and I don't see it changing. It's a good job that pays pretty well, but we like living near our families. We actually did move a few years ago, but it ended up being a few more miles south... :-)
Old 10-05-17, 04:25 PM

Worst commute i had was about 25 miles. Took me roughly 40 minutes to get there in the morning and anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to get home. Did that for about 2 years and never want to have a pain-in-the-ass commmute like that again (and it's really wasn't that bad compared with some people's).

My current commute is about 30 feet to my home office.
Old 10-05-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My drive averages about an hour each way (longest in fall, especially the morning, shortest in summer). It's only 24 - 34 miles (depending on the route I take, I often take the longer one because it has less time sitting in traffic). I've been doing that drive about 12 years so I'm pretty used to it.

Where I live (Kent WA) even if I worked somewhere in my same city like Boeing or Amazon, if I worked regular hours, it'd still take me close to 30 minutes to get there in the morning due to traffic and the fact that I live at the opposite edge from those places.
Old 10-05-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For about a 10 month period I had a 43 mile commute. Took around 90 minutes in the morning.

These days I'm around 4 miles from work and it takes 10-15 minutes depending on how many red lights I hit.
Old 10-06-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My longest distance-wise was up to the NE side of Indy when I was a contractor and my company needed me up there for a temporary 6-month gig. 70 miles, or about 90 minutes each way with traffic. The longest time-wise was when I was shacking up with my future-ex wife in College Park MD and had to deal with a twice daily commute in DC traffic to Fair Lakes VA. 35 highway miles, could take as little as an hour or as much as three. Totally sucked ass.

My current commute is 30 minutes to the base 4 counties away from Bloomington. It used to be 9 minutes longer before they opened up a shiny new stretch of Interstate highway just for me. I work a compressed schedule so I have alternate Friday off, meaning I make the commute 18 times every 2 weeks, or an average of 9 times weekly. 81 minutes per week saved over 48 weeks (assuming 4 weeks off for holidays, vacation, sick, etc) works out to a fraction over 64 hours annually.... that highway is giving me the equivalent of 8 days off work per year just due to the commute time I'm saving.
Old 10-06-17, 10:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

20.6 miles, 37+ min.

Currently 10.4 miles, 22+ min.
Old 10-06-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm doing my longest commute now which is only 25 minutes in the AM, and maybe 30 minutes on the way home.
Old 10-06-17, 12:37 PM
Admin-Thanos

It's annoying that the commute home is always longer than the one going in. I assume that's because all the late sleepers are out on the road in the evening and they weren't in the morning.
Old 10-06-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It's annoying that the commute home is always longer than the one going in. I assume that's because all the late sleepers are out on the road in the evening and they weren't in the morning.
I chalk mine up to just living on Long Island. I'm also doing the reverse commute, heading east in the morning. Every day I feel bad for those people stuck in bumper to bumper on the Southern State going westbound.
Old 10-06-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought this sounded familiar, though this old thread was more about length of time than distance.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...r-commute.html
Old 10-06-17, 02:12 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier View Post
I chalk mine up to just living on Long Island. I'm also doing the reverse commute, heading east in the morning. Every day I feel bad for those people stuck in bumper to bumper on the Southern State going westbound.
I don't know if it's because I've been away for so long, or if traffic has gotten worse, but the Southern State is more a parking lot than not these days, even on the weekends and off hours. It's like the Belt Pkwy's shittiness just expanded further east.
Old 10-07-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I don't know if it's because I've been away for so long, or if traffic has gotten worse, but the Southern State is more a parking lot than not these days, even on the weekends and off hours. It's like the Belt Pkwy's shittiness just expanded further east.
The Belt is just a nightmare unto itself. Lately the increasing amount of accidents on the Southern State and the Sag haven't helped.
Old 10-07-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For about 7 months I worked down on LI. Monday morning up at 4, taxi to airport, wait an hour, 1 hour flight to JFK, airtrain to LIRR, LIRR to my stop, walk or another cab to my apartment, pick up my car and drive to the office by 8:30 or 9. Thursday go home.

Mondays were a grind but the money was great and it was fun with the proximity to NYC.
Old 10-07-17, 05:12 PM

6 h 16 min (393.4 mi) via I-75 S
Distance between Columbus, GA and Lakeland, FL

Did it for about 4 months. Came home about every other weekend.
Old 10-08-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The worst I had was 32 miles one way, typical commute was a little over an hour each way, but add in any traffic problems like an accident and it would be over 2, even a strong rain would add 30 minutes. I did that for about a year before transferring to an office close to home and went down to a 1 mile commute.

I don't want to ever do that again. My typical workday was 9-10 hours anyway, add in 2 hours min to commute and that makes for a really long day.

I work from home now, best deal ever. screw getting dressed up and commuting everyday

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.