Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Should people with service animals or pet allergies be more important to airlines?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Should people with service animals or pet allergies be more important to airlines?

Old 09-27-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This occured yesterday on a South West Airlines flight in Baltimore:
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ai...-plane-n805111

Which customer or disability is more significant to who has a right to go on the flight? I get that this woman was resisting a lawful order to leave the flight, however it appears she was removed due to a potential health issue because she could have an allergic reaction to someone else's service animal.

I don't recall when booking a flight if it even asks a customer to disclose if they are allergic to dogs or cats. I know that most airlines stopped serving peanuts aboard flights due to potential allergic reactions, so they should have some protocol for animal allergies. I'm allergic to cats myself. And while I like cats, it is best if I don't go near them and wouldn't be happy if my seatmate had brought a "service" cat on board and I would know my eyes would be completely swollen by the end of a long flight.

Should these people have equal rights or is the need for a service animal more important than a person possibly having a deadly allergic reaction on the flight due to the person's "service" animal and or pet being on the flight?
Old 09-27-17, 10:45 PM

Re: Should people with service animals or pet allergies be more important to airlines

Not sure how this got under Hot Deals. Mods please move.....
Old 10-03-17, 02:18 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Should people with service animals or pet allergies be more important to airlines

Moved from Hot Deals ...
Old 10-03-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, excerpts from the article:

"Our flight crew made repeated attempts to explain the situation to the customer, however, she refused to deplane and law enforcement became involved.”

...said the woman claimed she had a "deadly allergy" to dogs and asked that the two animals on board be removed. Dumas said the woman asked for a type of injection to alleviate her symptoms after the crew told her they could not remove the animals.

Dumas said he heard a flight attendant say they needed a certificate to administer an injection, which the woman didn't have. A pilot offered to let the woman exit the plane so an injection could be administered, but she refused, he said.
She has a "deadly allergy" but doesn't carry documentation around with her that would facilitate her getting the injection she would need if inadvertently exposed and she repeatedly refused lawful orders to deplane.

Sounds like she got what she deserved to me.
Old 10-03-17, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
OK, excerpts from the article:

She has a "deadly allergy" but doesn't carry documentation around with her that would facilitate her getting the injection she would need if inadvertently exposed and she repeatedly refused lawful orders to deplane.

Sounds like she got what she deserved to me.
But which persons needs should be more important.. the person that needs an animal to survive or the person that doesn't?
Old 10-03-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
But which persons needs should be more important.. the person that needs an animal to survive or the person that doesn't?
I'm not convinced she had any real need at all. However, let's assume that she was being completely truthful. If simply being on the plane with animal, even if she had been reseated as far away as possible, is enough to legitimately put her in harm's way, she should not be on the plane in the first place. There is a level of accommodation that is objectively reasonable and this is well beyond that.

Keep in mind that if being 10 rows away from a dog or cat is enough to trigger her "deadly allergy", then sitting near someone who had even recently been handling or playing with such an animal would as well. What if she gets seated next to some grandmother who hugged her cat goodbye before she left for the airport and now has cat hairs and dander in her sweater?

To me, it is like those mothers who claimed that their child's nut allergy was so severe that they could not even be on a plane in which someone was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I feel bad for your child's condition, but it simply is not reasonable that 200 other people not be able to eat what they want because of your child. Don't fly commercial.
Old 10-03-17, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I'm not convinced she had any real need at all. However, let's assume that she was being completely truthful. If simply being on the plane with animal, even if she had been reseated as far away as possible, is enough to legitimately put her in harm's way, she should not be on the plane in the first place. There is a level of accommodation that is objectively reasonable and this is well beyond that.
The same could be said though for the person that needs the animal on the plane in order to fly in an airplane.
Old 10-03-17, 08:24 AM

Here is how easy it is to get your pet registered as a service animal just dso you can take it anywhere and also for free on an airplane:

https://www.petful.com/service-anima...ice-dog-fraud/
Old 10-03-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Sadly, if you show me a well intentioned program designed to help people, I’ll show you twice as many people ready to exploit that program for their personal gain.
Old 10-03-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they need a disclosure when you buy the ticket, if you're "deathly allergic" to a dog or a cat, then they should maybe put it in the system beforehand to prevent these run-ins. Though they seem uncommon, and this woman seems more that she hates dogs than was actually "deathly allergic".

Southwest is one of the more accommodating airlines out there, I would have walked off the plane and got re-routed. Way easier than having them requiring them kick somebody else off the plane for an undisclosed affliction and probably needing to vacuum the whole fuselage.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-03-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I'm allergic to cramped seats and no elbow room so if they could keep other people out of my row - that would be terrific. My note? I'll photoshop you up one.
Old 10-03-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Southwest is one of the more accommodating airlines out there, I would have walked off the plane and got re-routed. Way easier than having them requiring them kick somebody else off the plane for an undisclosed affliction and probably needing to vacuum the whole fuselage.
My sister is a gate agent for Southwest and I discussed this situation with her. She said the passenger should have let them know in advance that they were allergic to dogs, peanuts, etc.. She didn't. Had she done that they would have checked the flight and not allowed those with dogs to board that flight. However, since she didn't, it was too late as she was already "exposed" and since she claimed she had a "deadly allergy" and didn't have emergency medication the only thing left to do at that point was get her off the plane to get her somewhere that she could get medication.

She said as far as she knew there wasn't anyone at the airport that could administer an injection for her and that she'd just call for emergency response if someone was exposed to something "deadly" for them.

Looking past her I asked the fire captain at the table if he'd give her an injection and he said "I don't know her. I don't know what other allergies she may have. Unless she's showing some major signs of distress I'm just going to offer to transport her to a hospital so a Dr. can observe her."

So based on all this I think the lady just said the wrong stuff at the wrong time and so things turned out the way they did.
Old 10-03-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds to me like she went over the top by saying it was "deadly" just hoping that would get the dogs off the plane. I'm sure she regretted that decision when they pulled her off.
Old 10-03-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to personally three-quarters smother people who claim they have "deadly allergies" just because they don't like something.
Old 10-03-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm siding with the service animal. The person with animal has no conflict with whoever else may be on the plane, while the person with the allergy does.
Old 10-03-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I'm allergic to cramped seats and no elbow room so if they could keep other people out of my row - that would be terrific. My note? I'll photoshop you up one.
Airlines have a great resolution for you - buy all the seats in your row!
Old 10-03-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, I'd rather be on a plane with nothing but cats/dogs as passengers compared to other people. lol
Old 10-03-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which pets qualify as "service animals"? Cats, dogs, hamsters, goldfish, snakes, platypus?
Old 10-03-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Which pets qualify as "service animals"? Cats, dogs, hamsters, goldfish, snakes, platypus?
These days, who knows, probably everything.
Old 10-03-17, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
They could likely almost qualify anything. I know where I work they allow service dogs and horses to enter the premeis. But people ignore the signs quite often and bring their regular dogs, cats, bunny rabbits ect. in there all the time. Some feel because they are carrying the animal or it is in their purse or stroller that it is an exception to the no animals rule. Basically they think that their pet is an exception but no one else's should be. My company and others will overlook this and everything will be fine until one of these animals attacks another person or goes bezerk in the store.
Old 10-03-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my book, seeing eye dogs are service animals. I even have a patient who has a peanut-sniffing dog travel with him everywhere -- that is also a service animal. "Therapy dogs" are not - they're just bullshit excuses to allow a dog lover to bring their pet anywhere they go. It's total BS -- I should know, my sister is just such a person.

That said, I don't think there's such a thing as pet anaphylaxis. Dog and cat can cause bad seasonal type allergies with watery nose, coughing and wheezing. But "deathly" allergic reactions? I've never seen that. I've written literally hundreds of prescriptions for Epi Pens for food exposure and insect stings, and NOT ONE was for pet exposure.
Old 10-03-17, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
In my book, seeing eye dogs are service animals. I even have a patient who has a peanut-sniffing dog travel with him everywhere -- that is also a service animal. "Therapy dogs" are not - they're just bullshit excuses to allow a dog lover to bring their pet anywhere they go. It's total BS -- I should know, my sister is just such a person.

That said, I don't think there's such a thing as pet anaphylaxis. Dog and cat can cause bad seasonal type allergies with watery nose, coughing and wheezing. But "deathly" allergic reactions? I've never seen that. I've written literally hundreds of prescriptions for Epi Pens for food exposure and insect stings, and NOT ONE was for pet exposure.
I agree the therapy dog/pet thing is bs. According to the article I postd, it is much easier to get your pet registered as a service animal than a therapy animal.

I don't know how many people are dethyly allergic to dogs or cats, but I know my allergies to cats will make it very uncomfortable on a long flight.

While I love cats, I know if I pet one and don't wash my hands right afterwards, my hands will become so itchy that I will be unable to stop scratching them even after some of the skin has rubbed away and they are bleeding. Even if I wash my hands right away they can still be very itchy. If I touch a cat and then touch my face or rub my eyelid, i can expect at least one of my eye lids to be so swollen and puffy that I will look like Rocky Balboa after a fight.. My sister has 3 cats. I konw if I go over to her house I will be have a runny nose and be sneezing and coughing within minutes of my arrival. I avoid going over to her house when I am in town and just meet her at restaurants, coffee shops, etc.

How many people would like to go grocery shopping and place their food in a cart that has previously had some animals bare ass touching any part of the bottom of the cart? How about eating at a restaurant table after a person had their "therapy" or "service" sitting on the table?
Old 10-03-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh sure, people can have very nasty allergic reactions to pets, such that it could become very unpleasant and irritating. But not life-threatening. And usually only with close exposure -- touching animal or sitting close it it. I just don't think anyone has an anaphylactic reaction to pets the way one can have a life-threatening reaction to nuts, eggs, milk or bee or wasp stings.
I'm not saying that the pet-allergic flyer has rights -- they certainly do and should be allowed to be re-seated far from the pet. But an commercial jet airplane fuselage is large enough to handle both a pet and a dog-allergic flyer.
Old 10-03-17, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Decker;13171722[B
]Oh sure, people can have very nasty allergic reactions to pets, such that it could become very unpleasant and irritating. But not life-threatening.[/B] And usually only with close exposure -- touching animal or sitting close it it. I just don't think anyone has an anaphylactic reaction to pets the way one can have a life-threatening reaction to nuts, eggs, milk or bee or wasp stings.
I'm not saying that the pet-allergic flyer has rights -- they certainly do and should be allowed to be re-seated far from the pet. But an commercial jet airplane fuselage is large enough to handle both a pet and a dog-allergic flyer.
It may be rare, but I'm sure it can and has happened before. Wasn't there a case a few years back where regarding an autistic child who was also deadly allergic to wool? if i recall correctly the mother could no longer deal with taking care of the child so she intentionally wrapped the child in wool blankets one night so that it would die from the allergy.
Old 10-03-17, 02:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
According to the article I postd, it is much easier to get your pet registered as a service animal than a therapy animal.
No, according to the article you posted, you can get a fancy-looking piece of paper that looks like an official registration but doesn't have any ties to any government agencies of any sort.

I'm genuinely confused about this line of reasoning anyway. Like, is it your assertion that the animals on board this plane were both cases where the owners had these bogus registrations?

Anyway, if the argument is whether a genuine service animal (let's just assume the owners aren't full of shit) should take priority over a patient who is claiming to be deathly allergic, my vote goes for the service animal. You can't expect that animal to travel in cargo (I say this as someone who has had to put a non-service animal in cargo), and you can't expect that person to travel without that animal. So... if the allergic person can't handle it, even after switching seats to the other side of the plane, I guess that person gets bumped.

It may be rare, but I'm sure it can and has happened before.
Nothing against you but I'll trust an actual doctor over someone who is basically saying, "Well it COULD be true, even though zero evidence supports it!"

Wasn't there a case a few years back where regarding an autistic child who was also deadly allergic to wool? if i recall correctly the mother could no longer deal with taking care of the child so she intentionally wrapped the child in wool blankets one night so that it would die from the allergy.
If this is real, I can't find it after a quick search of the keywords. All I get is stories about a mother who killed their kid with M&Ms. Not quite the same thing. If you have a link, I'm genuinely interested.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.