DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-07-17, 09:19 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have you ever won a contest/sweepstakes? (Excluding gambling/lottery)

So recently I've entered some contests on a home theater site in hopes of finally winning something. I mean you can't win if you don't enter, right? It would be pretty awesome to win a 4K TV or something. I wonder how many entries these things actually get? Has anyone on here ever won anything? (Like the title says, not including gambling or lottery wins)

I think the most I ever won was tickets to Star Wars Ep. 2 from my local newspaper.

God bless the Internet.
Old 09-07-17, 09:23 PM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Have you ever won a contest/sweepstakes? (Excluding gambling/lottery)

In the heyday of DVDs I won a a copy of The Abyss from a site called bigpicturedvd.com (which looks to be defunct now). Kind of cool that I won but it ended up being the Canadian version with only 2.0 sound.

I'm also won tickets to Star Wars in concert but ended up breaking up with my girlfriend that same day and didn't go.
Old 09-07-17, 09:29 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I won a handful of DVDs from the now defunct DVD Planet brick and mortar store. That's right they had a store! I won the Burton POTA, The Beach, and A Beautiful Mind.

When I was 8 I won 2 tickets to Knotts Berry Farm in a coloring contest at the grocery store.
Old 09-07-17, 09:39 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

My name was in an issue of *I think* Gamepro when I was a kid. Second place. I *think* I won Tekken 2 for Playstation. I *think* it had a TMNT cover. It was around 20 years ago. I felt famous when it happened.

Sadly, I kind of lost that memory. Never thought I'd forget that! Can't remember the details anymore. Weird.

Any of you guys have all the issues? If any of you guys collect, I think it had a TMNT cover, and was from before the changed the spine/binding type from the v-style binding, to a glue u-shaped binding (weird I remember that). I'm guessing it was 1992 to 1996 sometime. I recall the results graphic being on the left page, in the lower right corner.
Old 09-07-17, 10:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
My name was in an issue of *I think* Gamepro when I was a kid. Second place. I *think* I won Tekken 2 for Playstation. I *think* it had a TMNT cover. It was around 20 years ago. I felt famous when it happened.

Sadly, I kind of lost that memory. Never thought I'd forget that! Can't remember the details anymore. Weird.

Any of you guys have all the issues? If any of you guys collect, I think it had a TMNT cover, and was from before the changed the spine/binding type from the v-style binding, to a glue u-shaped binding (weird I remember that). I'm guessing it was 1992 to 1996 sometime. I recall the results graphic being on the left page, in the lower right corner.
If it was EGM I would still have it! Never really was a Gamepro guy myself.

So I saw the one site I entered at had a previous giveaway with 11,447 entries. Not the worst odds in the world for something with no entry fee. I think one time I saw a news story on TV about people who enter these things religiously and have won some cool stuff.

God bless the Internet.
Old 09-07-17, 10:13 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won my gas grill in a drawing at my barbershop a few years ago.

$102 cash for being a certain caller at a radio station.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 09-07-17, 10:37 PM   #7
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At my old job they would have a drawing every quarter and every employee that was not injured or filed a workers comp claim would be entered into a drawing to win $750. My name got picked once during the time that they were doing it. I think later it was deemed illegal to have a contest that only those that weren't injured could enter. It also discouraged people who were hurt at work to not file claims so they had a chance of winning which also was likely an issue.
Old 09-07-17, 10:41 PM   #8
DVD Talk Reviewer

I've won smaller contests - DVDs online, movie tickets, etc., but never anything "big."
Old 09-07-17, 10:44 PM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

I've won several DVDTalk contests.

And quite a few contests online/Facebook for tickets--theater, amusement park, baseball game and the like.

"i 'm new here. most of people in here are good. but there is a miserable person. Look into your mirror. Superboy!" --New Member, robert11
Old 09-08-17, 12:18 AM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
If it was EGM I would still have it! Never really was a Gamepro guy myself.

So I saw the one site I entered at had a previous giveaway with 11,447 entries. Not the worst odds in the world for something with no entry fee. I think one time I saw a news story on TV about people who enter these things religiously and have won some cool stuff.
Oh damn, I think it was EGM! I subscribed to both when I was a kid. I looked through two Gamepro scans with TMNT on the cover, and didn't see the page.

I want to say it was in the first 1/3 of the magazine. And I think it says either Troy S. or T. Stiffler.

Feel free to take a look. It would have been around when Tekken 2 came out (within six issues maybe). I'll take a look online and see if I can find it. Gotta find it now for a little nostalgia.
Old 09-08-17, 12:24 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I won a $100 savings bond from Captain Crunch in the mid 80s.
Old 09-08-17, 12:33 AM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Awe man, I looked around EGM and Gamepro and can't find it. Memory is too cloudy to remember the details. Big props for anyone who has absolutely nothing to do and wants to check (or has a really good memory). It was basically one-page (left page) that said something about a contest, and then I was listed in the "last month's winners" spot in the lower right corner. That's how I remember it anyways.

I thought it had a TMNT cover. And I thought the price was Tekken 2 for PS. But I really don't remember.
Old 09-08-17, 01:16 AM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Winnings that I remember:

Family Guy Season 1 DVD set (Some website draw. I don't remember which)
Portable basketball net (Local clothing store)
Fire extinguisher/smoke detector set (Draw from the brand)
iPad Mini (Work draw)
Old 09-08-17, 01:21 AM   #14
DVD Talk Reviewer

Does Bingo constitute gambling?

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1127 days 23 hours 28 minutes
Old 09-08-17, 06:32 AM   #15

Won an Xbox One at a Christmas luncheon.
Won one of those Pioneer car stereos with the 7" flip up screen at a Chronicles of Riddick sneak preview. $800 value at the time.
Old 09-08-17, 07:10 AM   #16
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've won lots of things.

I've won concert/sports/movie tickets tickets several times from various sources. I won a $50 gift card for a restaurant from a newspaper giveaway. I won a WWE video game prize package from a website contest once, I think it was that year's Smackdown vs Raw game for PS3, a lunchbox, 2 action figures and a poster.

In the infancy of smartphones, I won a Valentine's prize package from a radio station, which was his and hers Blackberries and $500 worth of Verizon gift cards.

The biggest thing I won though was a weekend trip for two to Paris for a Queensryche concert, also from a radio station contest.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 09-08-17, 08:31 AM   #17

I won a free year of movies from IFC and that old game show Ultimate Film Fanatic.
I won a pair of tickets to see Roger Waters on this tour. I win tickets a lot.
Old 09-08-17, 08:55 AM   #18

Years back eBay ran a promotion where they'd give you hints to an auction they would list (the auction page had the means to claim the prize)

Won $1,000 from that contest, good times
Old 09-08-17, 09:09 AM   #19
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My parents won a trip to Disney World (through a raffle drawing) and took my sister and I there. I know you're probably thinking "that's just what they told you" but my parents hate amusement parks (and even don't care for beach vacations), so they definitely wouldn't have paid for that, it had to have been all expenses paid for them to go.
Old 09-08-17, 09:18 AM   #20
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I won a portable DVD player from the Louisiana Office of Tourism. It was one of those things where everyone that entered got something free, so I did it for that mainly.

When I was a kid I won a coloring contest and got a giftcard to a local dept store.

My wife won a trip for 2 to the Daytona 500.
Old 09-08-17, 10:01 AM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

I've won 2 contests that were trips. In 1991 when I was 18, me and my girlfriend in college won a trip from Tower Records and a local music station. It was a trip to NYC to see the Don Henley concert for Walden Woods at Madison Square Garden. Opening act was Billy Joel and second was Sting. VIP after party was at Hard Rock Cafe. We sat by what we found out later was David Lee Roth. He just looks different with his hair pulled back. I had no idea who he was until we saw a news bit a few days later on MTV news - for those who remember that.

The second trip was from Columbia television and the show Mad About You in 2000. My ex-wife and I were watching re-runs every night late in the evening. Then they started showing the episode where Paul and Jamie take a trip to Tahiti and impersonate other people. For the contest, at the end of the episode they put a word and you go to a website and enter in the word. They did it for one week, so we entered 5 times. We won the grand prize which was an all-inclusive paid trip to Tahiti for 7 days at Club Med on Moorea (which is no longer there). All we had to do was to pay flying from Austin to LA. Good times, but too bad it was with my ex.
Old 09-08-17, 10:05 AM   #22
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won an Arctic Cat Jag 440 in the 90s via a radio station in the 90s. I've won other smaller prizes over the years, but the snowmobile was by far the best!
Old 09-08-17, 10:49 AM   #23
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Won a Halloween costume contest at work. No prize.

Won tickets to preview screening of Love Story. It's was a cross promotion with local radio station and burger joint called Mr. Quick. Announcement would come over radio that anybody who went into Mr. Quick and told person behind counter "love means never having to say you're sorry" in next 15 minutes won. The tickets were pin buttons that read "love means never having to say you're sorry"

McDonald's had same type promotion with radio station when the "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun"
slogan was first introduced. Had so many minutes to go into McDonald's and recite it under five seconds to get a free Big Mac. Did that a couple times.

We had a minor league baseball team in my home town. In the program was a form to guess the attendance for that game. Won that several times. Prize was a large Shakey's pizza.

When Diamonds Are Forever was released a local jewelry store had a contest. The entry form listed several Bond actresses and characters. You had to match them up. The prize was a diamond ring. I won but was disqualified because I was only 13, under the age in the rules. They gave me an original 1-sheet movie poster instead.

When The Living Daylights was released on VHS I won a copy from radio station. I went and picked it up the day before release date. Sold it to a guy who owned a video store for $60. For that one day his store was the only one to have it for rent.
Old 09-08-17, 10:53 AM   #24
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Won an elementary school raffle of a radio with TV station signals, so I could at least listen to my shows after bedtime. That thing lasted from 1972 until about 2010.
Old 09-08-17, 11:40 AM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

I won a guitar pedal once. I also won concert tickets another time.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh