Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-13-17, 09:33 AM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Fuck this company.

They need to immediately notify every single fucking person whose personal info was stolen, and what was stolen. And they need to be fully responsible for cleaning the mess up, including being 100% responsible for any expenses or losses due to identity theft, and they need provide free credit monitoring for all effected for life. Period.

This fuck-up is completely on them.
Exactly. We shouldn't be expected to give our personal information to an already known insecure operation to find out if our information was compromised. They need to reach out to each and every one of those 143 million people that they fucked and let them know to what extent they fucked them.

This isn't like the Target breach where your info could have been compromised if you used a card between certain dates. This is completely random.
Old 09-13-17, 09:54 AM   #102
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
*burp* What then Morty?
This thread needs some laughs! I only just discovered that show last week, it's great.
Old 09-13-17, 01:17 PM   #103
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Exactly. We shouldn't be expected to give our personal information to an already known insecure operation to find out if our information was compromised. They need to reach out to each and every one of those 143 million people that they fucked and let them know to what extent they fucked them.

This isn't like the Target breach where your info could have been compromised if you used a card between certain dates. This is completely random.
Like literally, putting your info in will give you totally random results.

Have they explained or fixed that yet? That's still unbelievable to me. Not to mention the fact that the first three digits of your SSN are tied to state, so if somehow even this data (last six digits plus last name) you put in there was compromised, that's really bad.
Old 09-13-17, 01:25 PM   #104
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Fuck this company.

They need to immediately notify every single fucking person whose personal info was stolen, and what was stolen. And they need to be fully responsible for cleaning the mess up, including being 100% responsible for any expenses or losses due to identity theft, and they need provide free credit monitoring for all effected for life. Period.

Old 09-13-17, 04:13 PM   #105
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:

Yeah, I had a pause when I had to pay THEM $10 to freeze my account. That's beyond fucked up.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-13-17, 04:32 PM   #106
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I'm seriously considering doing a credit freeze, as I don't plan to open a new line of credit any time soon.
I would strongly recommend you do just that.

I was involved in the Anthem breach several years back - someone attempted to claim a tax refund using my name/SSN the following tax season. As soon as the breach was revealed I slapped a credit freeze on my accounts. They're good for 90 days, I have a recurring calendar reminder every 13 weeks (91 days) to tell me to re-up.

I even have the automated menu steps typed-out in the reminder so all I have to do is follow this script (this is for Transunion):
1-800-680-7289 (wait for blah-blah-blah)
enter 5-digit home zip
1 (90 day fraud alert)
your ssn
birthdate (in MMDDYYYY format)
house number followed by #
10-digit home phone number
pause (my phone doesn't use an extension)
pause (while 'bot reads back phone # - wait till it finishes)
wait for bs on credit monitoring 2=decline
"are you sure" bs? 2=decline
done
When you establish a Fraud Alert, it gets shared with the other two bureaus, and it results in a credit freeze. If you need new credit, just call one of the bureaus first to have the freeze temporarily lifted.

TransUnion = 1-800-680-7289
Experian = 1-888-397-3742
Equifax = 1-800-525-6285
Old 09-13-17, 04:48 PM   #107
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
It's entirely up to them to contact those affected. We have zero responsibility in this matter. We're not even responsible for knowing it happened unless they contact us.
I am not legally required to watch the news, have internet or a phone. They need to send me a letter.
Old 09-13-17, 05:21 PM   #108
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
As soon as the breach was revealed I slapped a credit freeze on my accounts. They're good for 90 days, I have a recurring calendar reminder every 13 weeks (91 days) to tell me to re-up.

I even have the automated menu steps typed-out in the reminder so all I have to do is follow this script (this is for Transunion):
Fraud alerts are good for 90 days, not security freezes. Freezes will stay on until you decide to temporarily or permanently remove them.

Also, I recommend others to sign up a free credit karma account - I'm not sure how reliable they are, but they tell your Transunion and Equifax credit score.
Old 09-13-17, 05:24 PM   #109
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Fuck this company.

Absolutely. End of fucking argument.

At a bare minimum, I expect to be automatically sent a snail-mail letter if I have been affected. Even if I have not been compromised, I expect some means of them verifying that fact, with *no* action or expediture on my part. I'm not sending them anything online, certainly not going to their website. No way.

There's no way they will be going out of business. They're Too Big to Fail, and will be bailed out by government, or some other agencies they're in bed with.
Old 09-13-17, 05:57 PM   #110
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
I would strongly recommend you do just that.

I was involved in the Anthem breach several years back - someone attempted to claim a tax refund using my name/SSN the following tax season. As soon as the breach was revealed I slapped a credit freeze on my accounts. They're good for 90 days, I have a recurring calendar reminder every 13 weeks (91 days) to tell me to re-up.
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

Quote:
In a few states, credit freezes expire after seven years. In the vast majority of states, a freeze remains in place until you ask the credit reporting company to temporarily lift it or remove it altogether.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

At a bare minimum, I expect to be automatically sent a snail-mail letter if I have been affected.
143 million people * $.49 stamp (not including paper/envelopes, time, etc.) = $70,070,000.

Seventy million just to mail letters to everyone. I like it.

Old 09-14-17, 06:04 AM   #111
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

143 million people * $.49 stamp (not including paper/envelopes, time, etc.) = $70,070,000.

Seventy million just to mail letters to everyone. I like it.
Cool beans, but don't ya know, they get the bulk mailing rate, so the actual damage would be considerably less...
Old 09-14-17, 10:06 AM   #112
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the clarification.

Fraud Alert != Credit Freeze
Old 09-14-17, 10:30 AM   #113
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe there will be only two credit reporting agencies after this. Equifax needs to go away.

I would think consumers have a right to request Equifax NOT be a reporting agency for their credit files after this.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-14-17, 10:31 AM   #114
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Equifax doesn't care a whit about anyone or the credit problems this will cause. They know probably 5% of people will sign up for the credit monitoring and they will easily make that up by the $10 a pop people are paying for the credit freeze. Ironically, the executives who sold their stock will probably miss out on a windfall, because if only 10% of the people affected pay for a credit freeze, that's $140,000,000 in pure profit. Then most of these people will have to pay again to have it unfrozen when they apply for a loan or a new credit card in the next year or so.
"Hi, we're Equifax. Fuck you!"
Old 09-14-17, 10:36 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

All the executives, I think, are going to resign way before this gets momentum. They'll be transferring any profits to overseas accounts, if they haven't already. Criminal charges are being discussed for many of these executives so I don't think they want to hang around and wait for any more potential profits out of this company. We'll have hearings, "outraged" politicians, and of course, nothing will happen outside of a few wrist slaps and "sincere" apologies from the execs that are dragged in.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-14-17, 11:30 AM   #116
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Equifax is waiving the $10 freeze fee for 30 days. They should be paying for freezes for the other agencies as well IMO.

I went ahead and froze all three and it cost me $20 since I had to pay the other two. Whatever. I'm not applying for anything anytime soon.
Old 09-14-17, 12:20 PM   #117
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder if I should just do fraud alerts instead of freezes since those seem to be free. There is no way anyone should be paying for a freeze fee. Transunion seems to be offering a third party credit monitoring for free. Anyone try that?
Old 09-14-17, 12:58 PM   #118
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kevin Drum at Mother Jones has a couple of blog posts up that show how angry he is at not just Equifax but Credit Rating agencies in general. He feels that they (Equifax and other agencies) should be forced to auto freeze ALL of their customers data until said customer asks them to unfreeze...he has a point. As things stand, I am almost afraid of checking if my info was compromised.

What is sad is that this is proof that the current GOP does not give a rats ass about the average working class stiff...if they did they would drag the executive teams of agencies like Equifax into hearings so they could rake them over the coals. Heck, I might as well throw Democrats in the mix...Drum pulls no punches that they are basically just as bad as the GOP when it comes to being in the back pocket of the big banks/credit agencies. One side is worse than the other generally speaking, but it is amazing how many worthless congress-critters there are on both sides of the aisle.

This rant belongs in a dif thread, but love or hate Bernie Sanders I appreciate that he had the balls to put his single payer proposal to a vote knowing it would go down in flames. At least he has the backbone to go through with attempts at passing legislation he believes will help the majority of Americans. The GOP voted over 50 times to cripple/replace/defund Obamacare and it did not hurt them...Democrats should keep pounding away at Single Payer, it might show people they have balls and are worth voting back into office in 2018.

Again, really frustrating that politicians of both stripes are not loudly telling Equifax to pound sand and provide free account freezes for all their accounts.
Old 09-14-17, 01:15 PM   #119
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Cool beans, but don't ya know, they get the bulk mailing rate, so the actual damage would be considerably less...
I almost posted as much but figured it was a given. I don't know those rates, so that was just a jump off point.

Old 09-14-17, 05:15 PM   #120
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

I would think consumers have a right to request Equifax NOT be a reporting agency for their credit files after this.
You have it backwards. Equifax should have to request permission from consumers to have files.
Old 09-14-17, 05:56 PM   #121
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I hate the digital age. Old school here. I had to handwrite my drivers license application. FUCK MODERNITY!

Also, get off my lawn.
Old 09-14-17, 10:51 PM   #122
DVD Talk Godfather

Here are some useful links(might be worth a wiki post):

Opt Out:
Credit Card offers: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t

Telemarketing calls: https://www.donotcall.gov/

Commercial DMA email lists: https://www.ims-dm.com/cgi/optoutemps.php

LexisNexis DMA mail, phone & email lists: https://www.lexisnexis.com/privacy/d...ngopt-out.aspx

Valpak Coupons: https://www.valpak.com/coupons/show/...istsuppression

RedPlum Marketing: https://www.redplum.com/tools/direct-mail-preferences

Old 09-14-17, 11:03 PM   #123
DVD Talk Godfather

Also apparently the link to check and see if you were affected is as big a dumpster fire as Equifax themselves. Depending on how you check the site gives different results. Story

Old 09-14-17, 11:14 PM   #124
DVD Talk Legend

Lifelock signups are 1000% up after the breach. I signed up. It got me to finally do it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-jump-tenfold
Old 09-14-17, 11:22 PM   #125
DVD Talk Godfather

My brother works for ID Shield if anyone's looking to add a layer of protection.