Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-09-17, 08:30 PM   #51
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
So ... they have subcontracted an even shittier third rate call center who pays their revolving door of employees even less to help protect US during this tough time. I'm supposed to feel better about that? Fuck sake.
Maybe i'm missing something, but I don't understand your complaint about this particular point. I don't know if they really subcontracted a "shitty" call center to help, but the alternative of letting people wait on hold for longer periods of time if they have large call volumes isn't going to be any better.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-09-17, 09:48 PM   #52
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
This article explains much in detail

http://clark.com/personal-finance-cr...nd-thaw-guide/
Why am I not surprised that my backward ass state is one of the few that automatically unfreezes.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-09-17, 09:59 PM   #53
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Maybe i'm missing something, but I don't understand your complaint about this particular point. I don't know if they really subcontracted a "shitty" call center to help, but the alternative of letting people wait on hold for longer periods of time if they have large call volumes isn't going to be any better.
You've never had to deal with subcontracted (in a hurry) customer service (or any nonprofessional field, really) have you? In corporate crisis management, this is a major misstep.

Now you have untrained, unaccountable, and uncontrollable "employees" responding to a major corporate crisis and representing your company. Nothing can go wrong there, can it?

Basically, we aren't their customers so they are going to pipe out smoke and mirror solutions. Tripling your workforce overnight sounds great, but they are really just putting a layer of minimum wage minions into the firing line so people can yell and scream at them while not accomplishing anything. Warm bodies on the fire.
Old 09-09-17, 10:21 PM   #54
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Some hackers have used the information they stole to ask for new debit and credit cards, so every one should call their card companies and ask what they are doing to help.

Also, you should definitely submit a security freeze to these two lesser known credit reporting agencies (the first time is free, don't know the cost for re-enabling or temporarily removing it):

Innovis: https://www.innovis.com/securityFreeze/index

Chexsystems: https://www.chexsystems.com/web/chex...e/placefreeze/

Last edited by EinCB; 09-09-17 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 11:16 PM   #55
DVD Talk Godfather

Who the hell is Innovis and Chex?

Old 09-09-17, 11:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Companies like ChexSystems provide reports that only list consumers' banking mishaps. Most banks and credit unions use them. They want to know if you've bounced checks or failed to pay fees.

"They use ChexSystems for sort of a particular use case," says John Breyault, vice president of public policy, telecommunications and fraud at the National Consumers League. "And that's to find out if you're a risk to the bank when you open a checking or savings account with them."

If your name winds up in ChexSystems, opening a bank account may be difficult. Unless your bank asks to remove certain information, strikes against you can remain in the database for up to five years.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/chec...exsystems.aspx

Quote:
Innovis is a provider of consumer data solutions and is considered a CRA (also known as a "Consumer credit reporting agency") in the United States, the other three being Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. Most sources of information about consumer credit repair seldom mention either Innovis or PRBC, a fifth agency, as of 2013.

Innovis is a subsidiary of CBC Companies, but companies that report debt activity, such as Verizon, refer to the company by the name "Innovis", or simply state that they report to "all four credit agencies".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovis

As I wrote before, they're not very well known; today is the first day I've heard of them.
Old 09-09-17, 11:30 PM   #57
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Some hackers have used the information they stole to ask for new debit and credit cards,
This is going to get really messy. Shit that got to suck so bad for innocent customers.

I can't believe Equifax is not being held accountable for this and they basically got their hands clean by just offering some 1 year shit protection.
Old 09-10-17, 12:02 AM   #58
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Some hackers have used the information they stole to ask for new debit and credit cards, so every one should call their card companies and ask what they are doing to help.
I would think that requesting cards be sent to addresses that are not on file would raise a flag. The hacker would have to provide proof of address change to the bank to make that work.
Old 09-10-17, 12:26 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
I would think that requesting cards be sent to addresses that are not on file would raise a flag. The hacker would have to provide proof of address change to the bank to make that work.
That's correct. Also, there might be specific personal questions that are asked by bankers that only we know the answer to.

Last edited by EinCB; 09-10-17 at 01:46 AM.
Old 09-10-17, 01:41 AM   #60
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I can't believe Equifax is not being held accountable for this and they basically got their hands clean by just offering some 1 year shit protection.
Yes, WE are constantly being told to be careful with our personal and financial information, but we have no control over what the companies we give it to (or the companies they give it to without our knowledge or permission) do with it or how they handle it.

Personally, I feel like I'm in more danger from some company who handles information on millions of people (large target) than I am from throwing a bit of paper with my SSN on it in the trash with banana peels and coffee grounds.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-10-17, 02:40 PM   #61

The "were you hacked" website is returning random results: https://m.slashdot.org/story/331051
Old 09-10-17, 02:44 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yes, WE are constantly being told to be careful with our personal and financial information, but we have no control over what the companies we give it to (or the companies they give it to without our knowledge or permission) do with it or how they handle it.

Personally, I feel like I'm in more danger from some company who handles information on millions of people (large target) than I am from throwing a bit of paper with my SSN on it in the trash with banana peels and coffee grounds.
Exactly.
Old 09-10-17, 02:45 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The "were you hacked" website is returning random results: https://m.slashdot.org/story/331051
Wow, just wow. How hard is it to do a lookup and return consistent results?
Old 09-10-17, 03:17 PM   #64
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may have been affected. I'm fairly vigilant about my credit transactions, but there's no telling when someone decides to use my data. I signed up for LifeLock which can hopefully help avoid any nightmare scenarios.
Old 09-10-17, 04:07 PM   #65
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
You've never had to deal with subcontracted (in a hurry) customer service (or any nonprofessional field, really) have you? In corporate crisis management, this is a major misstep.

Now you have untrained, unaccountable, and uncontrollable "employees" responding to a major corporate crisis and representing your company. Nothing can go wrong there, can it?

Basically, we aren't their customers so they are going to pipe out smoke and mirror solutions. Tripling your workforce overnight sounds great, but they are really just putting a layer of minimum wage minions into the firing line so people can yell and scream at them while not accomplishing anything. Warm bodies on the fire.
My point is... what's your alternative solution? Overworking the existing customer support people and/or letting people who are contacting them wait forever for a response? That doesn't do anything to help either. Short term there's nothing but basic scripted informationals anyway.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 09-10-17, 04:11 PM   #66
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, boy. I really don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm not touching that Equifax website.
Old 09-10-17, 04:19 PM   #67
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
My point is... what's your alternative solution? Overworking the existing customer support people and/or letting people who are contacting them wait forever for a response? That doesn't do anything to help either. Short term there's nothing but basic scripted informationals anyway.
I fully understand what you are saying and agree it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. My point is that this was merely a token gesture at best. At worst they have provided another potential exposure of people's data by contracting outside temporary help.
Old 09-10-17, 04:50 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:

Pretty much, THIS. In fact, I'd say they designed it this way, to hire outside help...so next time...they can blame them. I don't know how many employees Equifax has, but a nice mandated memo from corporate that says you will participate in help at call centers for questions and will receive quick training to help customers will particular questions, would have gone a long way. That way, it stays inside the company, and obviously, those who work with the company...are more familiar with the processes. So yeah, this sub-contracted thing is BY DESIGN. It allows for future-blaming, but also costs less.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-10-17, 05:43 PM   #69
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The breach may be like the 9/11 of the hacker world. Only now might real action be taken against companies who have our data, through no fault of our own, and without our consent or control.

This has to stop. 143 million angry people may have some impetus into fomenting some real change. At least, that's the good that might come out of this. Any change probably must be implemented at the national government level, via senate bills and / or an ammendment to our Constitution.

If this isn't done, these types of problems will just get worse and worse. The slippery slope is getting more and more steep.

As far a freezing credit, this should be a free, non-chargable option which all three credit agencies should henceforth offer, and promote. I'm not paying anybody $10 to do it (each time??!!).
Old 09-10-17, 05:48 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not even confident in that 143 million number if they can't even set up a reliable way to check. Did they say why these 143 million and not all of the customer data?
Old 09-10-17, 05:54 PM   #71
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post

As far a freezing credit, this should be a free, non-chargable option which all three credit agencies should henceforth offer, and promote. I'm not paying anybody $10 to do it (each time??!!).
Yeah, $30 each time ($10 at each agency). So $60 for the wife and I. Equifax should be forced to send out $30 checks to everyone affected.

Old 09-10-17, 06:56 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I'm not even confident in that 143 million number if they can't even set up a reliable way to check. Did they say why these 143 million and not all of the customer data?

Take your pick!

A: they have no idea the extent of the breach and haphazardly threw that website together, and the execs selling stock recently was coincidence.

B: They have known about the extent of the hack, and which individuals were affected for some time now, and those in power made money before news came out.
Old 09-10-17, 07:57 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The breach may be like the 9/11 of the hacker world. Only now might real action be taken against companies who have our data, through no fault of our own, and without our consent or control.

This has to stop. 143 million angry people may have some impetus into fomenting some real change. At least, that's the good that might come out of this. Any change probably must be implemented at the national government level, via senate bills and / or an ammendment to our Constitution.

If this isn't done, these types of problems will just get worse and worse. The slippery slope is getting more and more steep.

Yeah, everything should be FREE. If it's the company's fault...why are consumers being charged for their mistakes. This is not something where your CC info from Carl's Jr. was taken, and they're offering a free burger and we're raising our arms up screaming that we should get a free order of fries as well.

This is kinda more serious, and they seem to not really give a shit and are just shrugging their shoulders, outsourcing most of their customer service to deal with the problem (which is going to create more problems because now you have ANOTHER party having access to your information).

#EquiFux

Old 09-10-17, 10:32 PM   #74
DVD Talk Legend

Re: charging us for access to our data or limiting others' access to it ... Isn't that basically blackmail?

Can somebody explain to me why we should even be contacting them to find out if our information was compromised? Shouldn't they be proactively contacting us?

I do not condone the method, but I do condone the result.

Old 09-10-17, 10:38 PM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be looking for a class action attorney and one of the conditions of the settlement would be LIFETIME credit protection and service.