Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-08-17, 09:49 AM   #26
Admin-Self Banned

Re: Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Yeah, I kind don't want to put my info in there. If they couldn't protect it the first time why should I assume they'll protect it this time?
You don't use your full name. You don't use your full SS# at this site. As someone who is involved in e-security in certain aspects of my job, I didn't think giving partial info was a major issue.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-08-17, 09:52 AM   #27
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Yeah, I kind don't want to put my info in there. If they couldn't protect it the first time why should I assume they'll protect it this time?
I agree and they cannot protect anything.

Not interested in verifying that my id exists.
Old 09-08-17, 01:05 PM   #28
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was not hit according to the site
Old 09-08-17, 03:03 PM   #29
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't worry folks the Russians and Chinese won't give you a loan anyway.
Old 09-08-17, 03:09 PM   #30
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Maybe, finally, this will be the incident that causes fundamental changes to the power that this data has. In a sane world, it should be no big deal at all that someone else has my name, address, date of birth and SSN. It is already less of an issue than it was just a few years ago, fortunately.

You simply cannot keep data like this safe. You have to design processes that don't rely on maintaining the secrecy of certain pieces of information.
That is where I think all of this heads, but it could take another decade or two before we see it implemented. It will probably take an act of Congress or even a Constitutional amendment to get it pushed along.

There are simply too many legacy systems built around those pieces of information for it to change overnight. There are factions on both political sides that would have reasons to resist changing the policy.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 09-08-17, 03:29 PM   #31
DVD Talk Legend

There was a report that 3 upper management people sold their stock off weeks ago (around the time th shack was discovered), basically shorting it, and now Equifax took and will continue to take a hit.
Old 09-08-17, 04:18 PM   #32
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Isn't the illegal, though? That seems pretty cut and dry if so.

Equifax isn't something you opt into, right, basically if you have credit you're in their database?
Even if it is, and I doubt anyone will be prosecuted for it, what is completely legal is them offering to sign you up for ďfreeĒ credit monitoring that auto enrolls you to start paying for it after a year, and as a condition of signing up for it youíre forced into arbitration, which means you canít sue. Fuck these assholes. Iíll wait for the class action lawsuit notice. I hope these shitheads go bankrupt.
Old 09-08-17, 04:47 PM   #33
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Iíll wait for the class action lawsuit notice.
I look forward to my pre-printed $2.47 settlement check!
Old 09-08-17, 04:55 PM   #34
DVD Talk Legend

My entire family was hit it seems.

What is the best course of action at this point? Fraud alert and sign up for Lifelock?
Old 09-08-17, 05:01 PM   #35
DVD Talk Special Edition

Given that the hackers can sit on the data for years before using it, the one year free credit monitoring service is a joke. They need to provide lifetime free credit monitoring/ID theft service.
Old 09-08-17, 05:27 PM   #36
DVD Talk Legend

You could do Lifelock. I've been meaning to sign up, and decided to sign up after I saw this. I don't need the headache.

If you don't want to spend $10/mo to $30/mo, you could use Credit Karma. I found them to be very helpful, and legitimately free. Still not sure how they make money. Maybe they plan to switch to paid service someday (a model many startups use)?
Old 09-08-17, 05:32 PM   #37
DVD Talk God

Easiest way to protect yourself is a credit freeze. Call up the 3 main credit bureaus, tell them you are a victim of identity theft and put a freeze on your credit. It is sort of PITA when you have to deal with credit things, as there is a process to unfreeze, but it is free to do this.
John Henson: McDonald's has dumped Kobe Bryant as their spokesperson and have replaced him with Yao Ming. Apparently McDonald's prefers Yao because he is a bigger international star, and he doesn't rape so much.

"You are everything that's wrong with this forum".---SleepyW
Old 09-08-17, 06:56 PM   #38
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't get it - I want to find out if my loved ones are affected, so I have to submit their Social Security numbers to a company that's been severely hacked? What?

Fuck these companies, and fuck the politicians that enable their behavior. Why doesn't Equifax pay for the victim's credit freezes? From United Airlines to this shitty company to Facebook sucking Russia's cock, these very huge companies have Carte blanche on exploiting the lower class for windfall profits.
Old 09-08-17, 08:23 PM   #39
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Easiest way to protect yourself is a credit freeze. Call up the 3 main credit bureaus, tell them you are a victim of identity theft and put a freeze on your credit. It is sort of PITA when you have to deal with credit things, as there is a process to unfreeze, but it is free to do this.

In many states it's only free if you can prove that you're a victim of identity theft, otherwise they charge you small fee. The rules vary by state, but in Washington it's $10 per bureau.

I'm seriously considering doing a credit freeze, as I don't plan to open a new line of credit any time soon.
Old 09-08-17, 10:10 PM   #40
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
Given that the hackers can sit on the data for years before using it, the one year free credit monitoring service is a joke. They need to provide lifetime free credit monitoring/ID theft service.
This should be a federal law/regulation governing the credit bureaus. If they are going to collect data on a person, that person should be entitled to see the data at any time for no cost.

I haven't looked at my reports in a few years and I don't ever really care to again. There was so much incorrect shit on them that I wasn't sure who I was! I tried for some time to correct them and then finally gave up. I have no intention of ever using credit again. We already have a mortgage, have broken the cycle of auto loans, and won't go anywhere near a credit card.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 09-09-17 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 02:03 AM   #41
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
I don't get it - I want to find out if my loved ones are affected, so I have to submit their Social Security numbers to a company that's been severely hacked? What?

Fuck these companies, and fuck the politicians that enable their behavior. Why doesn't Equifax pay for the victim's credit freezes? From United Airlines to this shitty company to Facebook sucking Russia's cock, these very huge companies have Carte blanche on exploiting the lower class for windfall profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
This should be a federal law/regulation governing the credit bureaus. If they are going to collect data on a person, that person should be entitled to see the data at any time for no cost.

I haven't looked at my reports in a few years and I don't ever really care to again. There was so much incorrect shit on them that I wasn't sure when I was! I tried for some time to correct them and then finally gave up. I have no intention of ever using credit again. We already have a mortgage, have broken the cycle of auto loans, and won't go anywhere near a credit card.
Same.

Old 09-09-17, 06:57 AM   #42
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Absolutely, episodes like this really portray the inherent evil of these big companies... They couldn't care less about you, your personal privacy, or whether you're inconvienced because of something that's their fault.

Now you guys really know why I don't like Amazon, Apple, Google, the credit companies, etc ,etc. It's just a matter of time before Apple is hacked or Amazon is hacked. All the fans will know how things really stand when the truth sets in: They don't have your back. They have your balls. And off they come, in the interest of $$$ and damage control. The only way to "opt out" is by washing your hands of these big conglamorates... attempting not to do any business with them. This is very hard, when their presence in our lives has become so all-encompassing.
Old 09-09-17, 10:45 AM   #43

Quote:

A PROGRESS REPORT FOR CONSUMERS

We understand that some consumers are experiencing difficulties getting the answers and support they need through our website and call center. Ramping up the website and call center to handle the anticipated volume is ongoing and we are focused on making improvements as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this process has created.

Thus far today, we've made the following adjustments:

1). YOU CAN DETERMINE YOUR STATUS IMMEDIATELY

Some consumers who visited the website soon after its launch failed to receive confirmation clarifying whether or not they were potentially impacted. That issue is now resolved, and we encourage those consumers to revisit the site to receive a response that clarifies their status.

2). NO WAIVER OF RIGHTS FOR THIS CYBER SECURITY INCIDENT

In response to consumer inquiries, we have made it clear that the arbitration clause and class action waiver included in the Equifax and TrustedID Premier terms of use does not apply to this cybersecurity incident.

3). EXPANDED OUR CALL CENTER

We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.
Old 09-09-17, 01:21 PM   #44
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know if we were affected, but I put a freeze on all three agencies just to be safe.

We have identity theft protection but we're done with credit, loans and whatnot anyway so a freeze seems like a solid option regardless of this breach.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-09-17, 03:48 PM   #45
DVD Talk Legend

Equifax: Hey we fucked you in the ass, but you mostly alone on this one.
Old 09-09-17, 04:17 PM   #46
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Please clarify: What exactly does "putting a freeze" on my credit mean? Will all of my outstanding credit cards now be unusable, or what? How will I apply legitimately for credit when I ever need it? I assume this means that no one will be able to apply for any future credit in my name? What are the other ramifications? To be safe, should I cancel all of my cards anyway?
Old 09-09-17, 04:43 PM   #47
DVD Talk Godfather

To my knowledge, it means the only people that can access your credit report are companies you already have accounts with or the government. This prevents the ability for a random person to open an account in your name.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...it-freeze-faqs

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-09-17, 06:52 PM   #48
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just placed a call with Experian for a free 90 fraud alert. It took about 6 or 7 minutes over the phone - no humans, unfortunately. Automated.

Experian then tells Equifax and Transunion to do the same. Here's a great Reddit thread on how to protect yourself and your loved ones:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfin...urity/dmqdld2/
Old 09-09-17, 06:59 PM   #49
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Please clarify: What exactly does "putting a freeze" on my credit mean?
This article explains much in detail

http://clark.com/personal-finance-cr...nd-thaw-guide/
Old 09-09-17, 07:08 PM   #50
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
3). EXPANDED OUR CALL CENTER

We have tripled our call center team to over 2000 agents and continue to add agents.

Our goal is to make this process as convenient and consistent as possible. We will continue to identify steps to improve this process.

And we will continue as well to listen to your comments and suggestions.
So ... they have subcontracted an even shittier third rate call center who pays their revolving door of employees even less to help protect US during this tough time. I'm supposed to feel better about that? Fuck sake.