Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

Old 07-28-19, 04:51 PM

Re: Giant Equifax data breach: 143 million people could be affected

I honestly don't know what to do. It seemed like if you entered your information to see if you were hacked, you were giving away even more privacy so I didn't do that. Now, I don't know what to believe. So shady, so gross.
Old 07-30-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by story View Post
I honestly don't know what to do. It seemed like if you entered your information to see if you were hacked, you were giving away even more privacy so I didn't do that. Now, I don't know what to believe. So shady, so gross.
It only asks for a portion of your SSN and last name. Trust me all of your info is already in their system. Both my wife and I were part of that breach. I dont have Capitol one so hopefully they didn't breach my info too.

I signed my wife up for CreditKarma today (I've had it for a while) it asked for the last four of the SSN and last name to get started. Not much to it and they had all her info instantly once I answered a few basic security questions. Hopefully we get enough to have a nice meal at Chipolte.

Old 08-01-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like the payment might be less than a few dollars. The FTC says donít expect much.
Old 08-02-19, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

maybe they can change the amount geared toward reparations vs what they set aside for credit monitoring? Disappointing but no surprise we get fucked twice (or endlessly) here.
Old 08-02-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yep. All Equifux has to do is shuffle the money around to show they have more expenses on their credit monitoring end versus payouts, and voila, they don't have to pay shit. Oh, and of course any credit monitoring they give consumers for free...they will write off at its max value.

In fact, I even think Equifux will make a profit out of all this mess.
Old 09-08-19, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks like I'm out on this stupid claim.

I got an email today saying you need to verify or amend your claim. In the verify part, you need to provide the name of a credit monitoring service you signed up for at the time you filed the claim. They also emphasize the claim will not be $125 and could be substantially lower depending on how many file.

or you can cancel the claim or you can change it to having 4 free years of credit monitoring.

I don't care enough to pursue this any further, so I'm out.
Old 09-08-19, 07:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Looks like I'm out on this stupid claim.

I got an email today saying you need to verify or amend your claim. In the verify part, you need to provide the name of a credit monitoring service you signed up for at the time you filed the claim. They also emphasize the claim will not be $125 and could be substantially lower depending on how many file.

or you can cancel the claim or you can change it to having 4 free years of credit monitoring.

I don't care enough to pursue this any further, so I'm out.
Same email here. Iíll just take the monitoring.
Old 09-08-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't qualify for the $125 because I didn't have a credit monitoring service.

Before I did the claim I had signed with Credit Karma and their website gave me issues even after unfreezing my accounts. So I said fuck it...let me just do the claim for 4yrs credit monitoring.

I'm very skeptical in allowing Equifax to monitor my accounts. So chances are I won't activate the credit monitoring. I have my accounts frozen for awhile now.
Old 09-09-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

There should be another lawsuit after requiring this nonsense bullshit of a condition.
Old 09-09-19, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My god people. It took me all of 2 minutes to follow the link on the email copy past my claim ID and type in Credit Karma. I'm glad there will be attrition on this and I might get enough to buy a nice lunch at Chipolte. At this point I'm hoping to get a burrito with guacamole.
Old 09-09-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I'm very skeptical in allowing Equifax to monitor my accounts. So chances are I won't activate the credit monitoring. I have my accounts frozen for awhile now.
They are just already monitoring your accounts. They just keep what they find to themselves and their clients (banks, insurance companies, auto finance companies, etc). With the monitoring they are just looping you in. The cost is trivial for them.
Old 09-09-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
My god people. It took me all of 2 minutes to follow the link on the email copy past my claim ID and type in Credit Karma. I'm glad there will be attrition on this and I might get enough to buy a nice lunch at Chipolte. At this point I'm hoping to get a burrito with guacamole.
Yeah, it was not difficult at all. All they ask for is the name of your monitoring service and that you digitally sign (your life away) to attest that you really have that service. I really do already have credit monitoring from another breach, so there's nothing for me to gain by opting for the monitoring. We'll see how much pocket change I end up getting out of this.
Old 09-09-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Hopefully this weeds out everyone and we end up getting payoff.