DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-17, 06:55 PM   #1
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, this just happened in my neighborhood...

One of my neighbors posted this in a neighborhood thread, some woman stole two packages delivered to her doorstep. Apparently oblivious to the video camera. Looks like there are already other boxes in the backseat, along with a passenger in front. And she opens the rear door before going up to grab the packages, clearly not her first rodeo. But I've gotta believe the cops will be able to enhance that license plate and solve this one in fairly short order. I'm just flabbergasted at the gall of this.

https://video.nest.com/clip/09de9d15...faf0c03ff44a28

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 09-06-17, 06:59 PM   #2
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: So, this just happened in my neighborhood...

I have to sign for all of my UPS deliveries because I had two $200 plus orders go missing off my front porch in consecutive days from Best Buy. They put me on a list that seems to be impossible to get off. People are shit.
Old 09-06-17, 07:20 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks. Looks like a nice neighborhood. I had tons of boxes show up at my door over the years, and never had one go missing. But I consider myself lucky.
Old 09-06-17, 07:32 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like someone stole the clip
Old 09-06-17, 07:35 PM   #5
DVD Talk Reviewer

SOP these days in Portland. Thanks Obama, or something!

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1127 days 23 hours 27 minutes
Old 09-06-17, 08:34 PM   #6
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The penalty for this crime should be death. There isn't a single reason a person can defend this action.

Stealing milk from a grocery store? Robbing someone for money? A reason they may give is that they need to feed their kids. Terrible crimes, but the reason is there. Doesn't make it right, of course.

Stealing a package from someone's doorstep and you have no idea what's inside? The penalty should be death.
Old 09-06-17, 08:51 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Porch pirates are vermin.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 09-06-17, 09:04 PM   #8
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Porch pirates are vermin.
Agree - my brother who lives in Chicago while walking down the street watched a guy drive up in a car - walk up to a porch grab boxes and load them into his car (he asked what he was doing while he took a picture of the car's licence plate). The guy said "wrong delivery" and quickly drove off.
The cops caught him - word spread and my brother became the neigborhood hero.
Old 09-06-17, 11:01 PM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
] But I've gotta believe the cops will be able to enhance that license plate and solve this one in fairly short order. I'm just flabbergasted at the gall of this.

https://video.nest.com/clip/09de9d15...faf0c03ff44a28

I didn't see any license plate to enhance in that video.

But yeah, what a bitch.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 09-06-17, 11:07 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I didn't see any license plate to enhance in that video.

But yeah, what a bitch.
The video is clear enough for someone to recognise who the bitch is, and the make of the car should be enough to help confirm it.

Get that video on the local news.
Old 09-07-17, 12:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
The penalty for this crime should be death. There isn't a single reason a person can defend this action.

Stealing milk from a grocery store? Robbing someone for money? A reason they may give is that they need to feed their kids. Terrible crimes, but the reason is there. Doesn't make it right, of course.

Stealing a package from someone's doorstep and you have no idea what's inside? The penalty should be death.
Agreed.
Old 09-07-17, 12:56 AM   #12

Cops caught her and the packages have been returned. They will be publishing a list of other items recovered, I imagine her apartment probably looked like AlanSmithee's.

In the end I was pretty pleased with my performance. -- Mabuse
Old 09-07-17, 01:52 AM   #13
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow...package stealing has become a thing the past few years, it honestly was not a common thing for as long as I can remember prior to the uptempo in thefts. Fortunately, I have been lucky...apartment on second floor, does not face the street and is covered.

Heck, I remember coming back from a turkey day holiday break and there must have been 14+ packages piled in front of my door and it did not faze me that they could have been stolen. I still do not stress...if someone wants my stuff they will get it, but damn...to casually drive up on someone's driveway and do the deed takes some major cojones...so glad she was busted by the police.
Old 09-07-17, 09:12 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

I have heard of this package stealing happening more and more even around my neighborhood, which is mostly quiet and crime free. But my own street has avoided it for the most part.

I have too much neighbor activity on my street for porch pirates - there's always someone out in front of their house, either playing with their kids, doing yardwork, exercising, whatever that no one would have enough time to do it without being noticed. It's also a dead-end culdesac, they wouldn't be able to do a quick drive by - they'd have to u-turn and draw even more attention to themselves.
Old 09-07-17, 09:18 AM   #15
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
Cops caught her and the packages have been returned. They will be publishing a list of other items recovered, I imagine her apartment probably looked like AlanSmithee's.
I saw this posted on FB (I'm in CR as well), but didn't hear that she was caught. I have a Ring doorbell, and while I work from home most of the time, whenever I'm away I keep a close eye on any activity.

I'm glad that she was caught, and hopefully it keeps anyone else from trying this shit.
Old 09-07-17, 09:21 AM   #16
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Wow...package stealing has become a thing the past few years, it honestly was not a common thing for as long as I can remember prior to the uptempo in thefts.
I'm sure it's tied directly to the big increase in people ordering online.

Years ago a package-thief would probably have to drive around for a while just to find a house with a package sitting on the porch - then they would have to assess if it was safe enough to swoop in. Today, they have a lot more homes with packages to choose from - and probably go on a spree across the city.

Luckily for me, I work from home 99% of the time - so either the packages are delivered directly to my hands... or they're sitting on the porch for a very shorty period of time until I check. Otherwise, I really don't like the idea of a package sitting on my porch for hours while I'm not home.
Old 09-07-17, 09:36 AM   #17

In my city, they've literally just been following the delivery trucks - either UPS or white Amazon vans. I'm not sure why the police are unable to put a stop to it. Send an unmarked car to follow three blocks behind a delivery truck in one of the hardest-hit areas. Buy a bunch of those bluetooth trackers, hide them in other items and ship them. As long as people think they're not going to get caught stealing packages, they're going to keep doing it.

One person in my town ordered a rabbit hutch, and when it was stolen they looked on Craigslist and found someone selling the exact same model, still in the box. They contacted the police, who told the person they couldn't do anything about it.
Old 09-07-17, 09:39 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

What I've learned over the years, is that things get strange when people are down to their last dollar or two. I've never considered stealing like this, and have always had people I could ask for a few dollars if I really need it. But I've previously been in a position where I take the change in my pocket to buy a few packs of Ramen, and then deal with painful headaches because I'm not eating good food. Power gets shut off. Etc. I never considered stealing. But I can understand the feeling.

That shit is going to end up on Ebay, or (if that woman was really broke), it's going to be opened and sold to a pawn shop as "used" (most pawn shops don't buy new merchandise).

This is a problem. Amazon (or the 3rd party seller) will just have to suck it up and eat the cost. The buyer won't lose out, unless they don't follow up to the missing delivery. If this becomes big enough problem, Amazon will force a change in how tolerant they are to leave packages on doorsteps. I'm sure the risk assessment tech is there for anyone who wants to build it. Any venture capital people in here?
Old 09-07-17, 09:59 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Agree - my brother who lives in Chicago while walking down the street watched a guy drive up in a car - walk up to a porch grab boxes and load them into his car (he asked what he was doing while he took a picture of the car's licence plate). The guy said "wrong delivery" and quickly drove off.
The cops caught him - word spread and my brother became the neigborhood hero.
I wondered about people taking packages under the guise of an Amazon Flex "wrong delivery".
Old 09-07-17, 10:15 AM   #20
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I'm sure it's tied directly to the big increase in people ordering online.

Years ago a package-thief would probably have to drive around for a while just to find a house with a package sitting on the porch - then they would have to assess if it was safe enough to swoop in. Today, they have a lot more homes with packages to choose from - and probably go on a spree across the city.

Luckily for me, I work from home 99% of the time - so either the packages are delivered directly to my hands... or they're sitting on the porch for a very shorty period of time until I check. Otherwise, I really don't like the idea of a package sitting on my porch for hours while I'm not home.
Likewise. And I still watch the tracking like a hawk. They used to at least ring the bell when they dropped off packages that didn't require a signature. I don't know why they stopped doing that.

Last edited by andicus; 09-07-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 10:35 AM   #21
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Likewise. And I still watch the tracking like a hawk. They used to at least ring the bell when they dropped of packages that didn't require a signature. I don't know why they stopped doing that.
Because you never answered the door when I rang!!!
Old 09-07-17, 01:49 PM   #22
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last night I was at work and I got a text saying 2 packages from Amazon were delivered. I sent a text asking my wife to take them inside but she couldn't find them. We live behind 4 other houses so some times they deliver our packages to one of the houses in front of us but my wife went up and check all along our street and didn't find them. I'm starting to think they may have been stolen but it would have had to have been done very fast and they would have had to drive up our driveway, past 2 other houses, and then turn around in our driveway to get back out. Amazon says to wait 36 hours to report missing packages so i'll call them tomorrow.
Old 09-07-17, 01:52 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Last night I was at work and I got a text saying 2 packages from Amazon were delivered. I sent a text asking my wife to take them inside but she couldn't find them. We live behind 4 other houses so some times they deliver our packages to one of the houses in front of us but my wife went up and check all along our street and didn't find them. I'm starting to think they may have been stolen but it would have had to have been done very fast and they would have had to drive up our driveway, past 2 other houses, and then turn around in our driveway to get back out. Amazon says to wait 36 hours to report missing packages so i'll call them tomorrow.
If it was their courier service, the driver could have simply marked them delivered to avoid getting dinged for not getting them their in time. It's happened to me before.
Old 09-07-17, 02:10 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Be great if she opened the box to this:

Old 09-07-17, 07:55 PM   #25
DVD Talk Legend

Or an exploding bag of dogshit. Kind of like a dye-pack for bank robbers, but extra-stinky.
"Another day, another dolour." -Me