I'm back.
Yay! Any water or wind damage?
Old 09-12-17, 11:44 AM   #203
Admin-Self Banned

Re: Hurricane Irma 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Yay! Any water or wind damage?
Water leached through the baseboard in my living room, so things are a little soggy in my carpet. Could have been a lot worse. I will be heading to the store tonight to get more DampRid and seeing how much water my carpet shampoo machine can suck out of the carpet. AC is on overdrive to bring down the humidity.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-12-17, 02:24 PM   #204
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it's anything like a carpet clean, it could take 3-5 days before it's dry. I hope there is no smell, just dampness.
Old 09-12-17, 02:51 PM   #205
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Vinnie's back. Everyone act normal.
OK. You asked for it....
Old 09-12-17, 09:18 PM   #206
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still here!

I had to report for work 4a-3p on Friday, then Saturday started 2a-2p shifts.....didn't go home after the Saturday shift, so I just hung around the newsroom, watched a movie or two, ate like crap. Tried to sleep a little bit in the back of one of the control rooms on the floor, very exhausting weekend, and also very thankful my wife and son at home didn't get hurt or my house either. Came home to tons of debris in the yard, but again, thankfully the house didn't get hit. Power back back on this afternoon, so we were without for less than 48 hours which is amazing considering over 400k in the county was without power as early as today.
Old 09-13-17, 08:13 AM   #207
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
If it's anything like a carpet clean, it could take 3-5 days before it's dry. I hope there is no smell, just dampness.
Things are a bit "funkified," but smell has actually been coming down as I get sections dried. I'm leaning towards replacing the carpet. I'm on the hunt for fans and some of my coworkers have helped out with some portable fans to blow dry sections.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-13-17, 02:04 PM   #208
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw a story on a chainsaw wielding nun helping to cut branches felled by Irma...love it! There is video, and she probably just launched a thousand memes.
Old 09-13-17, 09:24 PM   #209
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Things are a bit "funkified," but smell has actually been coming down as I get sections dried.
Carpet is better than wood in this situation.
Old 09-13-17, 09:43 PM   #210

Glad to hear that the folks on here made it through OK. In the past, I've had water damage & it's no fun to deal with - but, it could have been a lot worse. Again, this is why it's good to stick around your home when something like this happens, if at all possible. If you're home, you may keep a bad water damage situation from getting worse. If you're not home & come back to something like this, the damage may be a lot worse if you weren't there to deal with this.

Quote:
Carpet is better than wood in this situation.
Agreed. Wood will warp & will probably be ruined in many cases re: water damage; carpet can just be replaced (of course, it depends on what's underneath the carpet, also).

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
That's brilliant. Threaten those who are trying to help. Genius.
Actually, if you're naive enough to believe that everyone knocking at your door & telling you to evacuate is legitimate, I've got a bridge in CA to sell you. I don't think there's any real way to verify that people coming by are really who they say they are; anyone can get fake uniforms/etc. & pretend they're in authority, when they're not. See below:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/30...ke-agents.html

http://sandhillsexpress.com/abc_nati...abcid35962205/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-robbers.html

I've had my house burglarized in the past (I wasn't home when it happened), so am especially concerned about this. Anyone coming by & telling me I have to leave my home can fuck off.

Last edited by TheDude; 09-13-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 11:13 PM   #211
DVD Talk Legend

Heard a lot of people in Miami sitll don't have power. Could be weeks for those folks. Even some places in central Florida won't have power until Sunday.

Things are nearly back to normal in Orlando. Disney and Universal already re-opened yesterday but local schools will be closed all week.

Already got the blue tarp(tm) on the roof. Very quick. Actually could have been done eysterday but guy said he couldn't do it by himself.
Old 09-13-17, 11:54 PM   #212
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Just saw a story on a chainsaw wielding nun helping to cut branches felled by Irma...love it! There is video, and she probably just launched a thousand memes.
I think I've got the idea for Hollywood's next big horror franchise!
Old 09-14-17, 12:47 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Heard a lot of people in Miami still don't have power.
My local Walmart is still closed with handwritten signs taped to the door that say "No Power".

We've been to 4-5 local grocery stores. All the Frozen, Refrigerated, Meat, Dairy and Deli aisles are completely empty. I guess they all lost power. I don't know what they did with the food. Hopefully they gave it to emergency shelters before the storm. It would be a shame if all that food got wasted.

Was in Publix tonight and they were starting to restock their frozen section. Guess they just got a shipment in.