DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-06-17, 10:10 PM   #76
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hurricane Irma 2017

Why not just stock up on jugs? That way you don't have to worry about buying water, just fill up the jugs with tap water when it looks like shit will hit the fan.
Old 09-06-17, 10:14 PM   #77
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Why not just stock up on jugs? That way you don't have to worry about buying water, just fill up the jugs with tap water when it looks like shit will hit the fan.
The tap water sucks here, but I will probably get a couple of water jugs. We go through the gallon and 16oz plastic bottles pretty regularly, so they will be used even if we keep a week or 2 supply on hand all summer and fall.

Last edited by VinVega; 09-06-17 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 10:28 PM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Rush Limbaugh suggests Irma is over-hyped and being used by the left to push climate change agenda. Then I hear CNN say Hurricane Allen of 1980 had 190 MPH winds. Facts be damned.
Old 09-06-17, 10:52 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Rush Limbaugh suggests Irma is over-hyped and being used by the left to push climate change agenda. Then I hear CNN say Hurricane Allen of 1980 had 190 MPH winds. Facts be damned.
There are a ton of caveats to weather records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
This ties it as the second-strongest Atlantic hurricane by wind speed, surpassed only by Allen of 1980 which reached wind speeds of 190 mph (310 km/h). However, Irma sustained these 185 mph winds for 24 hours, setting a record above Allen, which sustained 180 mph (290 km/h) winds for 18 hours.[7] Irma is the strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic basin outside the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico, and is tied with the 1935 Labor Day hurricane as the strongest landfalling cyclone on record in the Atlantic basin. In addition, Irma is the strongest tropical cyclone worldwide in 2017 so far.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-06-17 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 10:05 AM   #80
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I don't listen to Rush but I agree to a point. I do keep hearing how this is global warming related as if hurricanes never hit these areas before. Also they've been saying for the last 6 years that hurricane season is going to be the worst ever because of global warming and it's been pretty calm. Finally it happens and they try to act like they know what they are talking about. I guess being right 1 of out of 6 times is the new "a" student.
Old 09-07-17, 10:20 AM   #81
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The tap water sucks here, but I will probably get a couple of water jugs. We go through the gallon and 16oz plastic bottles pretty regularly, so they will be used even if we keep a week or 2 supply on hand all summer and fall.
How close are you to shore?
Old 09-07-17, 10:32 AM   #82
DVD Talk Legend

There are two more hurricanes right behind Irma.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/americ...sin/index.html

How many is that now within the last couple of weeks? Four?

Nah, nothing to see here.
Old 09-07-17, 10:43 AM   #83
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

In 2005 there were 15 hurricanes.

You see what you want?
Old 09-07-17, 10:47 AM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

You keep believing that it's a liberal conspiracy. Listen to Rush.

Old 09-07-17, 10:53 AM   #85
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't believe in conspiracies I also don't believe everything the media tells me I should believe. I guess that's where we differ.
Old 09-07-17, 11:13 AM   #86
DVD Talk Godfather

Sounds like St. Martin got it the worst.

Quote:
"It's an enormous catastrophe. Ninety-five percent of the island is destroyed," said Daniel Gibbs, a top official on the French side, in a radio interview.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-07-17, 11:29 AM   #87
DVD Talk Legend

As far as global warming and hurricanes... we only have two real facts:

1) Ocean temperatures are rising, and have been steadily since the end of WWII.
2) Warmer waters (like the Gulf Stream, which rests alongside the east coast of Florida) feed hurricanes, making them stronger.
If she sneezes and tries to hold it in, will her penis pop back out?- Abob Teff

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 09-07-17 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-07-17, 12:08 PM   #88
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I don't believe in conspiracies I also don't believe everything the media tells me I should believe. I guess that's where we differ.
Hokeyboy already chimed in, but you already know that Global Warming is not that all of a sudden there are hurricanes hitting the mainland this year, Global Warming contributes to adding warmth to the ocean which feeds the intensity of the hurricanes/typhoons popping up, and the intensity of major hurricanes lasts longer than hurricanes of similar strength have in the past.

Again, you know this but whatever, I am this close to putting you and certain others on ignore...y'all contribute nothing to the conversation and just relish in poking the "other side," aka us independents (cough*libtards*cough) and Democrats, basically folks who lean more liberal than conservative or Libertarian.

And before you say I enjoy being in my liberal "lamestream media" bubble, I just want to note that if I want to get away from my consumption of the mainstream media bubble there are plenty of Libertarians and Conservatives worth listening to, such as Dan Drezner (although he is now considered a RINO), Daniel Larrison, James Joyner/Doug M (Outside The Beltway), and publications like The Atlantic which contain quality missives from Liberal/Libertarian/Conservative writers.

Embrace who you are, someone who enjoys a conspiracy theory or two, is a fan of President Trump, and don't be that guy always saying, well...I do not agree with so and sos positions but I still did not vote for the sane candidate running for office because even though the other guy is a nutter, he will MAGA (oh, and but her emails, and BENGHAZI!), just stop dude, no one is buying what you are selling.

Rush embraces that in his heart of hearts he knows he is past his sell by date, and needs to rant and rave about conspiracies to stay in the limelight.
Old 09-07-17, 01:03 PM   #89
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
Hokeyboy already chimed in, but you already know that Global Warming is not that all of a sudden there are hurricanes hitting the mainland this year, Global Warming contributes to adding warmth to the ocean which feeds the intensity of the hurricanes/typhoons popping up, and the intensity of major hurricanes lasts longer than hurricanes of similar strength have in the past.

Again, you know this but whatever, I am this close to putting you and certain others on ignore...y'all contribute nothing to the conversation and just relish in poking the "other side," aka us independents (cough*libtards*cough) and Democrats, basically folks who lean more liberal than conservative or Libertarian.

And before you say I enjoy being in my liberal "lamestream media" bubble, I just want to note that if I want to get away from my consumption of the mainstream media bubble there are plenty of Libertarians and Conservatives worth listening to, such as Dan Drezner (although he is now considered a RINO), Daniel Larrison, James Joyner/Doug M (Outside The Beltway), and publications like The Atlantic which contain quality missives from Liberal/Libertarian/Conservative writers.

Embrace who you are, someone who enjoys a conspiracy theory or two, is a fan of President Trump, and don't be that guy always saying, well...I do not agree with so and sos positions but I still did not vote for the sane candidate running for office because even though the other guy is a nutter, he will MAGA (oh, and but her emails, and BENGHAZI!), just stop dude, no one is buying what you are selling.

Rush embraces that in his heart of hearts he knows he is past his sell by date, and needs to rant and rave about conspiracies to stay in the limelight.
This is a pretty typical lame response. Because I don't believe what you want me to believe I automatically get put into a voted for Trump box (which I didn't), listen to Rush Limbaugh (which I don't and never have .. I don't even like him), etc.. Putting me on ignore is your best bet because otherwise you may actually to have to stop and think about the crap you are peddling. I know that would probably hurt..

I am 100% onboard with global warming. I know its happening. I don't deny it at all. What I disagree with is that these hurricanes are a direct result of it and/or a direct result of what WE have done. That's all. My agreement with Rush is that they've been trying to make this all about global warming almost to the point where you'd think we never had hurricanes before. It's been way over the top. I don't think it's any sort of "conspiracy" anywhere though or anything.. give me a break. What does get old is whenever something bad happens people need to start finger pointing "it's because of them!" that's what gets old. Both sides do it constantly.
Old 09-07-17, 01:48 PM   #90
DVD Talk Legend

Impressive that SpaceX still manged to launch a rocket from the Cape this morning.

Very slow moving storm so Disney still unsure if/when to close.
Old 09-07-17, 02:21 PM   #91
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah my wife got to see it, I think i might ride this one out where im at
Old 09-07-17, 02:26 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

Quote:
In 2005 there were 15 hurricanes.

You see what you want?
I agree with Zod, holy cow!

Look, climate change is real, and no doubt one of the effects of climate change is wackier weather, wilder swings, etc. And yes, probably more destructive natural disasters like hurricanes.

But people want to treat this almost like there is cause an effect going on between the current administration and these hurricanes, and that is ludicrous. We'll feel the effects of denial of climate change for sure, but to act like Harvey, Irma, et al are direct results of climate change, or worse, direct results of the current administration's myopic view of the environment, is silly.

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 09-07-17, 03:07 PM   #93
DVD Talk Hero

Moving to Politics in 3...2...
Old 09-07-17, 03:23 PM   #94
DVD Talk Ruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Moving to Politics in 3...2...
No need.. I think we can discuss the hurricane here with injecting politics. Blame Ranger.. he started it I was just responding to him..

Good luck to our Florida otters!
Old 09-07-17, 03:25 PM   #95
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I lived in Florida, I would be getting the hell out of dodge. I don't understand why people want to ride out these storms. Ron White said it best:

"They evacuated everybody from the (Florida) Keys and everybody leaves except for one guy who’s gonna stay there and tie himself to a tree on the beach, to prove a point; and the point was, he said, that at 53 years of age, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind and the rain of a force 3 hurricane. OK, let me explain something to ya: it isn’t that the wind is blowin’. It’s what the wind is blowin’. If you get hit with a Volvo, it doesn’t really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play."
Old 09-07-17, 04:11 PM   #96
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
If I lived in Florida, I would be getting the hell out of dodge. I don't understand why people want to ride out these storms. Ron White said it best:

"They evacuated everybody from the (Florida) Keys and everybody leaves except for one guy who’s gonna stay there and tie himself to a tree on the beach, to prove a point; and the point was, he said, that at 53 years of age, he was in good enough physical condition to withstand the wind and the rain of a force 3 hurricane. OK, let me explain something to ya: it isn’t that the wind is blowin’. It’s what the wind is blowin’. If you get hit with a Volvo, it doesn’t really matter how many sit-ups you did that morning. If you have a "Yield" sign in your spleen, joggin' don't really come into play."
This is what the interstates look like outbound out of FL:

You will run out of gas and you can't refill because none of the gas stations have any gas. I don't want to ride out a hurricane in my house, but it's better than riding out a hurricane in my car with no gas on the side of the road. You don't understand how much traffic is trying to push out of a 250 mile bottleneck right now. The roads can't handle it.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-07-17, 04:13 PM   #97
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
How close are you to shore?
I'm about 20 miles from the nearest beach. I'm about 10 miles from Tampa Bay which is probably going to flood at least some.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 09-07-17, 05:19 PM   #98

It's not as if this is the first hurricane to hit the area. You'd think there would be better protocols and infrastructure in place to get people out in an organized fashion.
Old 09-07-17, 06:48 PM   #99
DVD Talk Legend

It started to look better for the west side but now it wobbled back west again and now lookslike the entire state is going to get it right up the middle.

We are in Cape Coral and had been thinking of staying but now we aren't sure we can.

They way the storm is looking we might have to drive up toward Alabama becuae now they're saying Irma is headed towards Atlanta too.
Old 09-07-17, 06:56 PM   #100
DVD Talk Legend

I can't even conceive of everyone in LA (where I live) leaving at the same time. It's bad enough when 1/20 or 1/10 of us leave town on a holiday weekend.