Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been catfished?

Other Talk "Otterville"
View Poll Results: Have you ever been catfished?
Yes
14.29%
Nope
66.67%
Maybe
14.29%
By Twikoff absolutely
4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

I was just wondering if anyone here that is reading this ever been deceived by someone pretending to be someone they are not just to play with your emotions? It must be a terrible and disgusting feeling to find out you had an intimate relationship online with someone for awhile only to find out it was either a man, or an ugly fat lady.

Catfish: Lure (someone) into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona.
Old 08-15-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Have you ever been catfished?

catfisted?
Old 08-15-17, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 483 Likes on 347 Posts

Is that a synonym of "Bandomaned"?
Old 08-15-17, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly the same thing but their was deception.

Back in the 90's I met a woman through the AOL chat rooms. We talked on the phone a bunch of times and made a date for her to come to my apartment. The night before we were talking on the phone and she asked me a hypothetical question of what would I think if she was married? I said that I would have to end it as I wasn't going to break up someone's marriage. She said she was just kidding around to see what kind of person I was. You can probably see where this is going. So she comes over the next night for dinner and we end up getting intimate. Afterwards she tells me that she was actually married but unhappy in the relationship. I wasn't happy about it so I only slept with her like 4 more times and then I ended it due to her not being honest with me.
Old 08-15-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

I wasn't happy about it so I only slept with her like 4 more times and then I ended it due to her not being honest with me.
Old 08-15-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 364 Likes on 180 Posts

I get facebook friend requests from fake profiles several times a week, but those are so easily identified that it's hard to believe that anyone falls for them.

I do have facebook friend (more of an acquaintance really) who has been catfished repeatedly and doesn't learn anything. Every few months, his facebook relationship status changes to "in a relationship" with the latest fake profile that friended him. They're always really obvious brand new profiles with 20 or less friends. And every time, he's shocked and upset.

It's like dude, I know you're obviously desperate for ANY female attention, but quit falling for the same shit over and over.

Of course though, I say this, but this kind of drama is the main reason why I don't unfriend him, lol.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-15-17 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

None of the extremes mentioned in the OP, but I have met up with women on two or three occasions who had older pictures on their online profiles back when they were fitter and more attractive. Nothing drastic like they were obese instead of lean and toned as I was expecting, but definitely met some who were thick and chunky now compared to their photos.
Old 08-15-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 224 Posts

I started meeting women from online twenty years ago and this did happen to me a few times over the six or eight years I was 'in the market.' I'm a fat woman myself, so fat women don't bother me, I more felt sorry for them that they felt the need to post old pics of when they were thinner. I don't date anymore, but if I did I would post current pics. They either like 'em thick or not.

And yes, one of the very first women I met from online lied to me about her relationship status and ended up going back to her lover after the weekend we spent together. And I've also met women who were basically liars about everything. It's easier to hide that online, I guess, but it made me super wary as a result.
Old 08-15-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 463 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Not exactly the same thing but their was deception.

Back in the 90's I met a woman through the AOL chat rooms. We talked on the phone a bunch of times and made a date for her to come to my apartment. The night before we were talking on the phone and she asked me a hypothetical question of what would I think if she was married? I said that I would have to end it as I wasn't going to break up someone's marriage. She said she was just kidding around to see what kind of person I was. You can probably see where this is going. So she comes over the next night for dinner and we end up getting intimate. Afterwards she tells me that she was actually married but unhappy in the relationship. I wasn't happy about it so I only slept with her like 4 more times and then I ended it due to her not being honest with me.
Yeah, that'll teach that cheating bitch.
Old 08-15-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

I have not. I've seen every episode of MTV's Catfish, so I can spot a Catfish account almost immediately.
Old 08-15-17, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
Afterwards she tells me that she was actually married but unhappy in the relationship. I wasn't happy about it so I only slept with her like 4 more times and then I ended it due to her not being honest with me.
Like a boss.

Old 08-15-17, 08:55 PM
Admin

Received 318 Likes on 203 Posts

Old 08-16-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No and I have no idea how this could actually happen to a sane rational person.
Old 08-16-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 504 Likes on 353 Posts

No. Every married woman I had sex with was open about being married. Especially the couple with the open marriage.
Old 08-16-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,125 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
No and I have no idea how this could actually happen to a sane rational person.
I could kind of understand it happening in the early days of internet dating sites when you basically just saw pictures and talked on the phone until you met in person. Nowadays it seems like the jig would be up a lot faster with Skype, FaceTime, etc.

Though I suppose if someone was diabolical enough to really plan a catfish act out, it could be done. Seems like a lot of work just to screw with someone you've never met though.
Old 08-16-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Anyone remember AOL IM? I one time got a message on there. Looking back, I'm pretty sure the guy was going to kidnap me. They presented them self as a young woman my age (around 15-16). And there was a fake looking 'stock photo'. Maybe the goal was to just mess around online. But I'm pretty sure I'd be handcuffed to a radiator if I actually offered to meet them.
Old 08-16-17, 10:45 AM
Admin

I was walking around my neighborhood and a guy rolled up in a van and said he had a free entertainment system for me. No strings attached. Potential catfish in the back of the van I think.
Old 08-16-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I said maybe. I think there was a time when I got catfished back when I was doing the internet dating thing. I started a conversation with a girl and asked if she wanted to meet. She said yes but not right now. I said ok and we kept talking. Honestly, I enjoyed the conversations we were having so I kept up with it but anytime I asked her out in any sort of casual manner she had an excuse ready and the excuses got more and more random. As the days and weeks went on I was mostly done with it and stopped talking to her but she kept on messaging and even asked me "have you met someone else?". That was way too strange for me so I walked away from the whole thing. I noticed that her dating profile was deleted a few days later.

I don't have much proof that this was a catfish but there was something going on there that I wanted no part of.

Last edited by Goat3001; 08-16-17 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
I get facebook friend requests from fake profiles several times a week, but those are so easily identified that it's hard to believe that anyone falls for them.
I get them maybe once a year. Wonder why you get some many.
Old 08-16-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 672 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
I get them maybe once a year. Wonder why you get some many.
I'll get a rash of them anytime I make a comment on a public page, especially a news article. I have actually made some real FB friends that way, but the vast majority are catfish.

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I was walking around my neighborhood and a guy rolled up in a van and said he had a free entertainment system for me. No strings attached. Potential catfish in the back of the van I think.
My BIL tried working for a company that did that with speakers for a few days. They would try to say that they were leftovers from an HT installation job, but really they were just cheapass speakers. He quickly quit when he realized what they were doing.
Old 08-16-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, but I was caught by the MySpace angle photo before
Old 08-16-17, 09:29 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
My BIL tried working for a company that did that with speakers for a few days. They would try to say that they were leftovers from an HT installation job, but really they were just cheapass speakers. He quickly quit when he realized what they were doing.
What were they doing? I don't get the hook. I figured he was trying to get info on my house in order to rob me later. Fucker was shady as hell, so I said wave off.
Old 08-16-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 410 Posts

White van speaker scam.

I barely do social networks, so I've never been catfished.
Old 08-16-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$80,000 down the drain

Old 08-16-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, although I was certainly worried about things like that. Luckily the first girl I met online turned out to be fine and ended up as my wife, but those first email exchanges and calls were certainly a little worrisome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.