Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-11-17, 05:41 AM   #26
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Yeah, but there's a big difference between a class where the grade isn't dependent on tests (but the professor is still assigning grades) and a class where students can pick whatever grade they want to get with no explanation needed.
Plus, in philosophy there are no right answers. We weren't graded on our answers, rather on our explanation why our answer was right.
Old 08-11-17, 11:11 AM   #27

Re: Prof lets students choose own grades for 'stress reduction'

I have a slightly different perspective, although I admit I was in "this is stupid" camp up until recently.

It's not unusual for fee waivers, grants, and scholarships to be dependent on grades, such as a B average. Incoming freshman, away from home for the first time in a new environment ... it's not unreasonable to expect some percentage of them to have trouble adjusting. Ship happens and people make mistakes.

What is unusual, I think, is the degree to which an 18 year-olds mistake can cost them. A bad semester could leave them unable to attend, financially, as well as still have them on the hook for all college debt so far accrued. Or, at best, they end up $80k in debt when they graduate (4 year in-state university @$20k year for tuition & room/board.) $80k in debt or debt with no degree/drop-out are both pretty serious consequences for an as-yet-unwise 18YO who fucked up a semester.

Kids fall through the cracks and the consequences shouldn't be this severe. Similarities to mandatory minimums and going to jail for life for a bag of potato chips on strike 3?

Academic Scholarships? Sure, nuke it. But there needs to be some compassion in the system for the grants and waivers that take the edge off the ability to simply attend. I see these policies from profs as being a part of this compassion.

Colleges & universities are all over parents to not helicopter/stealth fight and let the kids fail and make mistakes. Letting kids fail and make mistakes is a good thing, it IS a learning experience. But all the rhetoric ignores the safety net aspect. Is that college admin lecturing the helicopter parent going to pay the kids tuition, or loans? No, of course not.