Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How important is having friends to you?

Old 06-26-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How important is having friends to you?

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It's threads like these that remind me that most of you are not at all like me.
Remember that the original concept of the website was to attract people, who will never meet each other, to discuss watching movies at home alone. There are subforums for buying movies online, watching sports on TV, and shouting at the computer monitor (Politics).

To answer the question, I went without friends or social interactions for a while. Life is much better while having friends.
Old 06-26-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Real answer though. Hmmm. I have Otters (whether or not you like me back).
I do, mang. I never considered myself an "Otter", though. I never liked that term to begin with, and I was never part of the clique, the "cool kids".
Old 06-26-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeez, am I one of the 'cool kids'?
Old 06-26-17, 04:36 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Friends used to be important to me but since I met my wife I don't worry too much about having any other friends. Like Hokeyboy, my wife is my best friend, but unlike Hokeyboy, others besides my wife don't really matter to me that much anymore. I have 2 brothers and a sister that I don't keep in contact with as much as I should, of those, one brother is kinda friend, the other two are out of touch. Friends are just not that important to me anymore. I have all the friend I need right here.

Edit: She tells me she feels the same way about me...
Old 06-26-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I consider it somewhat important to me... but that doesn't mean I'm surrounded by them either.
I don't think it's good for anyone to be totally alone, but I don't think I can deal with having a lot of friends.

As you get older, it's definitely harder to make new friends and maintain old ones.
Usually marriage is the biggest reason why friendships just whither and die. I've lost a few friends that way. And because I'll probably never get married - I'm on the outside.

I have a couple friends I hang out with once in a while... go biking, see a movie once in a while, etc. Outside of biking every week in the summer, we don't hang out that often... but we do text each other on a regular basis and chat on the phone once in a while.
Old 06-26-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
I get my fill of social interaction at work. I just wanna go home, play some videogames, and jerk off . Never interested in getting friends to "hang out". Leave me the fuck alone.
If you ever invite me over to play videogames, I'm bringing my own controller.
Old 06-26-17, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
IMO people have become increasingly lazy at maintaining *real* friendships since Facebook exists. Phone calls have been replaced with "Likes" and the occasional "Private Message". It seems that if you don't have a page on there, no one really gives a fuck about you.
Agreed. I stopped talking to a former friend because they said I "had" to get a FB page, even after I told them I didn't want to. No one tells me I have to get a goddamn FB page. I told that asshole to fuck off, and thankfully we're no longer speaking.
Old 06-26-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shoveler View Post
If you ever invite me over to play videogames, I'm bringing my own controller.
Old 06-26-17, 08:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

It isn't as often anymore, but the few good friends I keep are great and I don't think I could live without them...
Old 06-26-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a pretty good social interaction at this point. I have my wife, a small circle of family members that I really care about, 2 best friends, and 3-5 other really good friends on top of that. It's just about right.
Old 06-26-17, 09:48 PM

Having friends is very important to me. I have a variety of friends and follow the George Constanza rule of "not having worlds collide"

So I have my:

-Work friends: not just having lunch with at work, but includes spending time outside of work - day trips, karaoke, game night, etc

-My two best friends: 26-year friendship with one (started in kindergarten) and 13 years with another (started in college).

-Party friends: like it says, I party with them - vacation trips, holiday parties, random house parties, concerts, etc.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 06-26-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As you get older, you shed friends, don't add them. It's especially true if you don't have kids. I never wanted kids and the wife didn't either. It makes for boring/awkward conversation at get-togethers with relatives/friends ("why don't you have kids?"), but whatever.

I'm a lone wolf type and you only got one life to live. I enjoy the occasional talks/bbq's with the neighbs, but I prefer sketching or watching ID Network whilst I'm cuddling up with the wifey. Falling asleep to a murder story FTW!
Old 06-27-17, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Agreed. I stopped talking to a former friend because they said I "had" to get a FB page, even after I told them I didn't want to. No one tells me I have to get a goddamn FB page. I told that asshole to fuck off, and thankfully we're no longer speaking.
Old 06-27-17, 07:25 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post
I don't care anymore. I gave up on one of my closest friends a few months ago after trying to get a lunch together for over 11 years.

IMO people have become increasingly lazy at maintaining *real* friendships since Facebook exists. Phone calls have been replaced with "Likes" and the occasional "Private Message". It seems that if you don't have a page on there, no one really gives a fuck about you.
About says it all right there. The few close friends I did have, I stopped hanging out with them. Whenever we'd get together, their faces would be glued to their phones. Fuck that noise.
Old 06-27-17, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have friends that i have known since i was 10 years old and we still keep in touch and hang out when i am back in the UK. If i were living back there i would still be seeing them on a regular basis. I think its pretty sad not to have friends and being married is a poor excuse for not having any. I am married but me and the wife occasionally spend time just with our friends, and then times we all hang out together. I guess a large part of it boils down to trust. In fact my wife and step daughter are vacationing next month with two of my friends from the UK. So its all good.
Old 06-27-17, 08:24 AM
Admin-Thanos

People need people. I have one friend from elementary school who I still keep in touch with. Planning to spend time with him when my wife and I go up to NY next week. I have some friends from my softball teams. It is effort to keep the relationships going sometimes, but at the end of the day I believe it is worth it.
Old 06-27-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now who would have thought an online forum dedicated to movie/home theater enthusiasts would attract so many loners, misfits, and introverts?
Old 06-27-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Remember that the original concept of the website was to attract people, who will never meet each other, to discuss watching movies at home alone. There are subforums for buying movies online, watching sports on TV, and shouting at the computer monitor (Politics).

To answer the question, I went without friends or social interactions for a while. Life is much better while having friends.
To discuss movies, yes. To discuss watching movies at home alone, well, I think that is your own spin, though no doubt it was to be expected.

But in any case, I have never been a movie or DVD fan/collector/addict, I came here quite randomly, so maybe it makes sense that I don't fit the demographic that you see.
Old 06-27-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think it's sad that there's a number of people in this forum who are loners, extremely introverted, anti-social, severely depressed or suffer some severe social anxiety disorder.

We all have our quirks and no one is perfect. But, some of the posts I see here from those who are suffering from these issues sound like any day now they could put a gun to their head or jump off a building.

I know it's easier said than done for someone to try to change their ways. But, I get depressed reading a thread like this and reading about people who have lost most of their passion for life and are just barely getting by. It's also sad that someone who is probably sitting in their 1 bedroom apartment locked up considers typing text on an anonymous message board their idea of being "social" and outgoing. I saw a post here from someone who says he hasn't had a human friend in well over 15 years.

When I was younger, I was very shy. Sometimes I had trouble making eye contact with people and occasionally had a speech impediment. It made things quite awkward sometimes. But, once I got to college, I really tried to put myself out there to improve and get over these issues. Made some really good friends in college who are still friends today. I also work in a business (TV) where you have to be outgoing and speak up and as I got older and grew mature in the industry, I think it helped me grow. I have many friends now in the industry who are more than just work friends. It's tough, I know, but sometimes you have to do the really scary shit and put yourself out there and take a risk. No risk, No reward.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-27-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ITT: CoolestDan and the Introverts
Old 06-27-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean I am finally one of the cool kids?
Old 06-27-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty lucky on that front (more than I am on the romance front), in that I've got about three or four extremely close friends (that I could talk to about ANYTHING) and another five or six that I would call very good friends.

But I do appreciate that it's harder to make close friends as you get older---I think my "newest" friend out of the ones I mentioned, I've known since about 1990.
Old 06-28-17, 12:58 AM

Whenever I see a friendship headed towards a downward trend (i.e. Not hanging as much, not talking anymore), I always think of that old Sims game.

In that game, you build up friendships and maintain it based on a 1-100 point scale, if I remember correctly. So if I foresee a friendship trending downwards, I'll put in the effort to reach out to the friend. Maybe meet up for lunch or just chat via text and catch up. Anything to maintain good communication.

I agree that maintaining friendships is a lot of work, but it's worth it.
Old 06-28-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I was younger, I was very shy. Sometimes I had trouble making eye contact with people and occasionally had a speech impediment. It made things quite awkward sometimes. But, once I got to college, I really tried to put myself out there to improve and get over these issues. Made some really good friends in college who are still friends today. I also work in a business (TV) where you have to be outgoing and speak up and as I got older and grew mature in the industry, I think it helped me grow. I have many friends now in the industry who are more than just work friends. It's tough, I know, but sometimes you have to do the really scary shit and put yourself out there and take a risk. No risk, No reward.
That could apply to dating too.
Old 06-28-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
Sadly, I work more than I have to because I like being around people. Yet people think I don't
I wonder if that's why many people work so much. Many people i work with does 9-10 hours shifts many times skipping lunch

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.