Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should OJ Simpson be paroled?
Yes, turn the Juice loose.
28.57%
No, keep him locked up.
71.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Old 07-21-17, 08:24 AM
Admin-Thanos

Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Our justice system fails again.

Money or Power = reduced and / or suspended prison sentence.

Maybe now that he's parolled, that ape will finally be killed.
mod warning - I'm not going to tolerate any more racist comments out of you.
Old 07-21-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Ummm, ok.
Par for the course with you. You say something completely wrong, and are demonstrably proven wrong, and instead of even attempting to defend yourself, admit you are wrong, or just substantively response, you deflect.

Listen to Dean Wormer DVDP.
Old 07-21-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

O.J. Simpson Free to Booze and Smoke Pot, But...

OJ Simpson on his way to being released from prison, and once he's a free man he'll also be free to imbibe and smoke weed ... as long as he's responsible about it.

The conditions of Juice's parole allow him to "consume alcoholic beverages but not to excess." O.J. will occasionally be tested for it, but if his BAC is under .08 ... he's in the clear.

Simpson's not allowed to use any controlled substances without a prescription from a doctor, and the same goes for marijuana. BUT, if he's prescribed medicinal marijuana ... he's got a green light to the ganja.

Here's the wild card ... he must obey all laws. One member of the parole board made it clear ... even a small lapse could land him back in prison.

The rest of his conditions are pretty standard -- don't associate with convicted felons, no weapons and make regular check-ins with his parole officer.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/o-j-si...ol-smoke-weed/
Old 07-21-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So ... murdering blonde women ... on the acceptable or unacceptable list? I don't see it mentioned.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 07-21-17 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ape

Definition of ape
a : monkey; especially : one of the larger tailless or short-tailed Old World forms
b : any of various large tailless semi-erect primates of Africa and southeastern Asia (such as the chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, or gibbon) —called also anthropoid, anthropoid ape — compare great ape

a : mimic
b : a large uncouth person
Old 07-21-17, 09:37 PM
Admin-Thanos

Continue your studies:

Wikipedia - List of Ethnic Slurs

Ape
A black person, referring to outdated theories ascribing cultural differences between ethnic groups as being linked to their evolutionary distance from chimpanzees, with which humans share common ancestry
Old 07-21-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not saying the poster (didn't even look to see who it was) didn't intend it in that manner. I'm saying the use was not improper as written.

Words have the power we give to them. Personally, I'll take Merriam-Webster over Wikipedia any day and I chose to take the power away from words. If you chose to read into the double meaning, or if the poster intended the double-meaning, that is your and his/her prerogatives. If you want to tilt at windmills, you'll see dragons.
Old 07-21-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about people using names that have Cow. Cow is also used to describe fat women. Women are a protected class.

Better start cleaning all usernames that have any animal reference in them.

However, referring to people as apes...if they are non-white, is not a good idea in a public domain.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-21-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-21-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos View Post
O.J. Simpson Free to Booze and Smoke Pot, But...

OJ Simpson on his way to being released from prison, and once he's a free man he'll also be free to imbibe and smoke weed ... as long as he's responsible about it.

The conditions of Juice's parole allow him to "consume alcoholic beverages but not to excess." O.J. will occasionally be tested for it, but if his BAC is under .08 ... he's in the clear.

Simpson's not allowed to use any controlled substances without a prescription from a doctor, and the same goes for marijuana. BUT, if he's prescribed medicinal marijuana ... he's got a green light to the ganja.

Here's the wild card ... he must obey all laws. One member of the parole board made it clear ... even a small lapse could land him back in prison.

The rest of his conditions are pretty standard -- don't associate with convicted felons, no weapons and make regular check-ins with his parole officer.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/o-j-si...ol-smoke-weed/
Seems like OJ is getting just as good as or even better treatment than most felons who have been convicted of a violent crime, and are on parole.

Can't wait for the lucky PO to get OJ's case.
Old 07-22-17, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of knew that news was fake,but it was hell of funny.

Maybe not safe for work
Spoiler:
Old 07-22-17, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I'm not saying the poster (didn't even look to see who it was) didn't intend it in that manner. I'm saying the use was not improper as written.

Words have the power we give to them. Personally, I'll take Merriam-Webster over Wikipedia any day and I chose to take the power away from words. If you chose to read into the double meaning, or if the poster intended the double-meaning, that is your and his/her prerogatives. If you want to tilt at windmills, you'll see dragons.
Right, I guess Mr. / Mrs. / Ms. VinVega knows 100% that I was going for the perogative meaning of "ape."

Double entendre much, kind sir / madam?

I was 99% leaning toward, the "big, imposing person" definition, FWIW.

Oh well, I'll continue to walk on eggshells and be as PC as I can so as not to offend any murderous persons of color from now on!

All's well that ends well, right?
Old 07-22-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... and don't question Idris Elba as an actor. That makes you racist too.
Old 07-22-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woman Who Called Michelle Obama 'Ape In Heels' on Facebook Fired
Old 07-23-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not quite the same thing. By calling someone an "ape in heels", you are seemingly referring to their appearance. It strongly suggests that this woman is stating that Obama looks like an ape. You could still argue that this isn't necessarily race-based, but it would be a tough argument to make.
Old 07-23-17, 11:56 AM

Hey guys, if you want to discuss moderator action please do it in the feedback forum.
Old 09-30-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's in store for O.J. Simpson upon release from prison.

With O.J. Simpson set to be released from a Nevada prison as early as Monday, people involved in his conviction for armed robbery and his nine years behind bars have begun speculating on how Simpson will fare as a free man.

“I think he’s probably a 2-to-1 favorite to mess up while he’s on parole,’’ David Roger, the former Clark County District Attorney who prosecuted Simpson in the 2008 criminal case, told USA TODAY Sports.

“I hope for the citizens of Las Vegas he does well on parole and doesn’t have to come back to Nevada. But O.J. plays by a different set of rules. O.J. has always done what he wants to do when he wants to do it.

“Chances are he’s going to stub his toe somewhere along the way.’’

There are terms with which Simpson, 70, must comply.

After being released from prison, he will be taken to the Division of Parole and Probation. There, Simpson will be assigned a parole officer and hear about his parole conditions expected to include the following prohibitions:

Drinking to excess (a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent), use of narcotics without a physician’s approval, possession of firearms and contact with convicted felons.

With those prohibitions in mind, Roger cites Simpson’s involvement in the 2007 holdup of memorabilia dealers who Simpson claimed had items that belonged to him as evidence the former football star probably will violate parole.

“The fact that he could go grab a bunch of guys and go do a robbery in a hotel in Las Vegas where there are a million cameras everywhere you go would suggest to me he just thinks he’s invincible,’’ Roger said. “When he was out of custody, people fawned over him.

People were taking pictures with him. They were getting his autograph. They were shaking his hand. And I think that that type of atmosphere leads someone like O.J. to believe that the world loves him and he can play by his own rules.’’

But not everyone is betting against the one-time Heisman Trophy winner who in 1994 was acquitted of the murder of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman.

Jeffrey Felix, a former prison guard at Lovelock Correctional Center where Simpson has served most of his prison sentence, is more optimistic about Simpson’s chances of remaining free.

“I give him a 70% chance," Felix told USA TODAY Sports. "You’ve got to remember that Nevada (Parole and Probation) is no joke. Wherever he’s at, they can search him. He’s going to be tested (for drugs and alcohol) all of the time.

He’s going to have a sign-in, sign-out sheet wherever he’s at. In the first 90 days, he’s probably going to have a 7 o’clock curfew, probably no drinking.

“He wasn’t very smart coming to Nevada. Florida would have been a lot more lenient.’’

Before the test of Simpson’s compliance to the rules commences come logistics.

He is expected to be transported almost 400 miles, from Lovelock Correctional Center outside Reno to High Desert State Prison, a medium-security facility 45 miles outside of Las Vegas. He will likely stay less than 48 hours before he is released and driven to the Parole and Probation office in Las Vegas.

During his parole hearing, Simpson said he wants to return to Florida, where he was living before the armed robbery.

Florida authorities said they have received no paperwork from Simpson, but his attorney has indicated Simpson still plans to return to Florida, where he lived before being convicted and incarcerated.

Felix said he heard Simpson will live in Las Vegas in a gated retirement community until he completes the paperwork and process required to be transferred to Florida.

Florida is home to Yale Galanter, who represented Simpson during the 2008 criminal case and who said he believes Simpson will be able to avoid more prison time.

Galanter cited Simpson’s age and physical problems stemming from a record-setting football career as reasons for optimism.

“I don’t see him hanging out at the Las Vegas clubs,’’ Galanter told USA TODAY Sports. “I don’t see women flocking to him. I don’t see him doing drugs. I think at that age you’d be afraid to kill yourself.

“I think he’s going to be fine."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...son/719649001/

Look for the official OJ Simpson Facebook, Twitter and Instagram page before the end of the week.
Old 09-30-17, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump on the matter: There were many fine people on both sides the OJ cases. Both sides.
Old 09-30-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-30-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But, of course, since he's an infamous celebrity with TONS of bribe money, none of the parole rules will apply to him, and he'll be given every latitude and break.

Maybe karma will rear its ugly head, and he'll be murdered. Cosmic justice.
Old 10-01-17, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Aaaaaaand....he's out!
Old 10-01-17, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Aaaaaaand....he's out!
OJ Simpson freed from Nevada prison after serving 9 years.

Former football legend O.J. Simpson became a free man again Sunday after serving nine years for a botched hotel-room heist in Las Vegas that brought the conviction and prison time he avoided in the killings of his wife and her friend after his 1995 acquittal.

Nevada state prisons spokeswoman Brooke Keast told The Associated Press that Simpson was released at 12:08 a.m. PDT from Lovelock Correctional Center in northern Nevada.

She said she did not know who met Simpson upon his release and didn’t know where Simpson was immediately headed in his first hours of freedom.

“I don’t have any information on where he’s going,” said Keast, adding she had no indication where he was immediately Sunday.

Keast said, the dead-of-night release from the prsion located about 90 miles (145 kilometers) east of Reno, Nevada, was conducted to avoid media attention.

“We needed to do this to ensure public safety and to avoid any possible incident,” Keast added, speaking by telephone.

The 70-year-old Simpson gains his freedom after being granted parole earlier this year. Unlike the last time he went free 22 years ago, he will face restrictions — five years of parole supervision — and he’s unlikely to escape public scrutiny as the man who morphed from charismatic football hero, movie star and TV personality into suspected killer and convicted armed robber.

Simpson is looking forward to reuniting with his family, eating a steak and some seafood and moving back to Florida, his lawyer said recently.

Simpson also plans to get an iPhone and get reacquainted with technology that was in its infancy when he was sent to prison in 2008.

The Florida Department of Corrections, however, said officials had not received a transfer request or required documents, and the attorney general said the state didn’t want him.

“The specter of his residing in comfort in Florida should not be an option,” Attorney General Pam Bondi said. “Our state should not become a country club for this convicted criminal.”

Close friend Tom Scotto, who lives in Naples, Florida, has offered to have Simpson live at his house, but he has not responded to messages from The Associated Press in recent days about whether a plan was finalized. Simpson lost his home near Miami to foreclosure in 2012.

Two of Simpson’s children, Justin and Sydney, also live in Florida.
He could live at least temporarily in Las Vegas, where a friend let Simpson use his home for five weeks during his robbery trial.

His five years of parole supervision could be reduced with credits for good behavior.

It’s a new chapter for the one-time pop culture phenomenon whose fame was once again on display when the major TV networks carried his July parole hearing live.

He told officials that leading a group of men into a 2007 armed confrontation was an error in judgment he would not repeat.

He told the parole board that he led a “conflict-free life,” an assertion that angered many who believe he got away with killing his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman in Los Angeles in 1994.

Simpson was once an electrifying running back dubbed “Juice” who won the Heisman Trophy as the nation’s best college football player for USC in 1968 and became one of the NFL’s all-time greats with the Buffalo Bills.

Handsome and charming, he also provided commentary on “Monday Night Football,” became the face of Hertz rental-car commercials and built a movie career with roles in the “Naked Gun” comedies and other films.

Simpson fell from grace when he was arrested in the slayings, coming after the famous Ford Bronco chase on California freeways. His subsequent trial became a live-TV sensation that fascinated viewers with its testimony about a bloody glove that didn’t fit and unleashed furious debate over race, police and celebrity justice.

A jury swiftly acquitted him, but two years later, Simpson was found liable in civil court for the killings and ordered to pay $33.5 million to survivors, including his children and Goldman’s family.

He is still on the hook for the judgment, which now amounts to about $65 million, according to a Goldman family lawyer.

On Sept. 16, 2007, he led five men he barely knew to the Palace Station casino in Las Vegas in an effort to retrieve items that Simpson insisted were stolen after his acquittal in the 1994 slayings.

Two of the men with Simpson in Las Vegas carried handguns, although Simpson still insists he never knew anyone was armed. He says he only wanted to retrieve personal items, mementoes and family photos.

He went to prison in 2008, receiving a stiff sentence that his lawyers said was unfair.

If the nation’s Simpson obsession waned for a while, it seriously resurged last year with the Emmy-winning FX miniseries, “The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story,” and the Oscar-winning documentary “O.J.: Made in America.”

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/01/us...son/index.html

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 10-01-17 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Aaaaaaand....he's out!
Just a note to all my friends: starting today, if you forget your sunglasses while we’re out, don’t expect my happy ass to return them to you.
Old 10-01-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trump on the matter: There were many fine people on both sides the OJ cases. Both sides.
Made me laugh... Good work.
Old 10-01-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I remember after he was acquitted, O.J. said he would look for the real killers and then just spent a lot of time at the golf course instead.

Fast-forward to 2017 and the other "orange" guy is spending too much time golfing.
Old 10-01-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I remember after he was acquitted, O.J. said he would look for the real killers and then just spent a lot of time at the golf course instead.

Fast-forward to 2017 and the other "orange" guy is spending too much time golfing.
And Trump said he could shoot someone and get away with it.

O.J. knifed his ex-wife and her boyfriend to death and got away with it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.