Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should OJ Simpson be paroled?
Yes, turn the Juice loose.
28.57%
No, keep him locked up.
71.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Old 07-20-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Cue the OJ/Cosby reality show
Sundays on Fox following the Simpsons
Old 07-20-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Our justice system fails again.

Money or Power = reduced and / or suspended prison sentence.

Maybe now that he's parolled, that ape will finally be killed.
First of all, 9 years for a robbery is pretty excessive given that nobody was harmed, no shots fired. Second, your use of the word ape makes it clear what kind of mindset you have regarding people of color.
Old 07-20-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
First of all, 9 years for a robbery is pretty excessive given that nobody was harmed, no shots fired. Second, your use of the word ape makes it clear what kind of mindset you have regarding people of color.
But wasn't the charge of kidnapping in that list of crimes. That alone is a felony worth 9 years.
Old 07-20-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
But wasn't the charge of kidnapping in that list of crimes. That alone is a felony worth 9 years.
I would have to look again to see, but even so, it's not a kidnapping in a traditional sense. He didn't forcibly remove anyone from somewhere. AZ has similar laws where someone can be charged with a kidnapping when preventing someone from leaving a situation. It was basically a home invasion (in a hotel). Just from my experience, these types invasion/robbery situations rarely call for more prison than about 10 years with similar circumstances. Granted, I don't know all the intricate details of the OJ case, but from what I read, anything more than 9 years is excessive incarceration.
Old 07-20-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It wasn't just robbery. It was kidnapping as well.

As a cop, you know that simply bringing a weapon to the scene of crime in progress, whether it's a gun, a knife, a baseball bat, etc., greatly escalates a crime conviction sentencing period.

Plus, the total charges numbered around 10-12.

And it does not matter if you were the one holding the weapon or not. If you were simply picking your nose in the room, while your friend pointed the gun at the victim...you can still be charged and the law, depending on the state--but most generally treat a robbery with a weapon very seriously and mix kidnapping in with it is a slam dunk--does not differentiate between nose-pickers and gun wielders when it comes to robbery and kidnapping.

And justifiably so, in my opinion.

The Parole board said as much. They said the crime was very serious, acknowledged the sentencing was appropriate, but also said that given the minimum 9 year sentence, and with OJ behaving with no issues, he was a candidate for parole. I totally agree. But I will not say that OJ got a tougher sentence than most people. Unless you have many examples of robbery and kidnapping charges (with a weapon) being less than 9 years.

And you know we don't have a mitigating factor such as a consent defense here. While true, we have one of the victim's coming forward and apparently forgiving OJ, that was not the case back then.

Some states have minimum sentencing of 15 years to life for kidnapping convictions.

So no, OJ got a fucking good deal here. He better use this break, once again, to better his life.

As another example, it's like you and I go to a grocery store and I grab a pack of cigs off the counter. Ok, shoplifting. We're both charged.

But now let's say I bring a gun into the equation and both of us are at the counter, and I wield the gun, then take the cigs.

Don't you agree the charges would be significantly different and the conviction as well for both of us?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-20-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why bother asking OJ any questions at his parole hearing? Some of his answers came across as egotistical while still not acknowledging his guilt. After 9 years of incarceration I recognized some of his comments as the same crap excuses I heard before he was sentenced and started to think maybe he would actually screw this up all by himself. What could he have possibly said that would have gotten his parole denied?
Old 07-20-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
plus he helped make the Kardashians famous, that should be life sentence worthy
Old 07-20-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Juice is loose and ready to deliver justice,the real killer of Nicole and Ron he is coming for you fool. He won't leave no golf course or titty bar unturned for leads.
Old 07-20-17, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
OJ's daughter Arnelle looks a little rough now. Granted she is 49-ish. I recall 23 years ago she was pretty decent looking.

That's "Rough" ? What the fuck?
Old 07-20-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
That's "Rough" ? What the fuck?
I honestly thought he only posted the "before" picture and never bothered to post the "after."
Old 07-20-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is the before picture...this is Arnelle at the hearing:

Old 07-20-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-20-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[QUOTE=DVD Polizei;13117530But I will not say that OJ got a tougher sentence than most people. Unless you have many examples of robbery and kidnapping charges (with a weapon) being less than 9 years.[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how spectacularly wrong you can be when you post here, this time included.

I'll give you a few examples - EVERYONE FUCKING ELSE WHO WAS WITH HIM THAT DAY.

Carry on.
Old 07-20-17, 08:44 PM

No surprise here re: the parole. If you have enough $, you always get preferential treatment. Obviously he also got preferential treatment in jail. Pathetic.
Old 07-20-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It wasn't just robbery. It was kidnapping as well.

As a cop, you know that simply bringing a weapon to the scene of crime in progress, whether it's a gun, a knife, a baseball bat, etc., greatly escalates a crime conviction sentencing period.

Plus, the total charges numbered around 10-12.

And it does not matter if you were the one holding the weapon or not. If you were simply picking your nose in the room, while your friend pointed the gun at the victim...you can still be charged and the law, depending on the state--but most generally treat a robbery with a weapon very seriously and mix kidnapping in with it is a slam dunk--does not differentiate between nose-pickers and gun wielders when it comes to robbery and kidnapping.

And justifiably so, in my opinion.
Look, I deal with this shit on a daily basis. I see cases where guys go in, rob a drug house, tie people up and get less than 10 years in prison. I'm not saying AZ is the same as NV. But IN MY EXPERIENCE, his sentence for this specific crime was far greater than most people would receive in similar circumstances.
Old 07-20-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-20-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty sure the kidnapping charge was added because he had a weapon and said "Nobody leaves this room." At least, that's what one of the guys who was there said on that Made in America doc. But it's not like he tied them up and sent out a ransome note from a typewriter or some shit like that.
Old 07-20-17, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

I thought that was pretty obvious that was Arnelle from 20 something years ago.

Ah dvd talk, you always have to spell things out clearly.
Old 07-20-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, indeed, toward THAT particular person. Indeed, I refrained from using the even more politically-incorrect epitet. Murdering two people and getting away with it, you know, sort of riles me up about that particular person...
Old 07-20-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
It's amazing how spectacularly wrong you can be when you post here, this time included.

I'll give you a few examples - EVERYONE FUCKING ELSE WHO WAS WITH HIM THAT DAY.

Carry on.
Ummm, ok.
Old 07-20-17, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This person shouldn't even be walking the prison let alone the planet anymore. This scumbag keeps getting free passes. It's amazing.
Old 07-20-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Pretty sure the kidnapping charge was added because he had a weapon and said "Nobody leaves this room." At least, that's what one of the guys who was there said on that Made in America doc. But it's not like he tied them up and sent out a ransome note from a typewriter or some shit like that.
Doesn't matter, though. That's what I'm getting at. Kidnapping has very few elements to get charged. It's very easy to do serious time when a kidnapping and robbery charge are presented.

Nice kidnappers, stupid kidnappers, intelligent kidnappers....doesn't matter. If you fit the state's laws to be charged, you can do serious time.

Tennessee, for example, has a minimum of 15 years for kidnapping. And that's just the start from reading their statutes.

Texas has a 2-10 year prison term.

So, ok, MAYBE I'd say if OJ was ONLY charged with kidnapping, and he got 9 years no parole, I'd be wondering.

But there are several more charges he was convicted on.

Let's look at Nevada's Laws on Kidnapping:

Quick internet check...

https://kidnapping.uslegal.com/state...bduction-laws/

Kidnapping is the crime of taking a person against their will to an undisclosed location. This may be done for ransom or in furtherance of another crime, or in connection with a child custody dispute. Nevada laws classify kidnapping into two categories: first degree and second degree. A person convicted of kidnapping in the first degree is guilty of a category A felony, if the kidnapped person suffers substantial bodily harm during the act of kidnapping or the subsequent detention or in attempted escape or escape there from.

Category A felony shall be punished:

by imprisonment in the state prison for life without the possibility of parole;
For life with the possibility of parole, with eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 15 years has been served; or
For a definite term of 40 years, with eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 15 years has been served.
Where the kidnaped person suffers no substantial bodily harm as a result of the kidnapping the punishment shall be by imprisonment in the state prison:

For life with the possibility of parole, with eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 5 years has been served; or
For a definite term of 15 years, with eligibility for parole beginning when a minimum of 5 years has been served[i]
A person convicted of kidnapping in the second degree is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, and may be further punished by a fine of not more than $15,000[ii].

A person who aids and abets kidnapping in the first degree is guilty of a category A felony and shall be punished for kidnapping in the first degree as provided in NRS 200.320. Moreover, a person who aids and abets kidnapping in the second degree is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years[iii].

A law enforcement officer who is conducting an investigation or making an arrest concerning the abduction of a child shall take the child into protective custody if he reasonably believes that the child is in danger of being removed from the jurisdiction[iv].

Nevada Child Seekers, a registered nonprofit organization, created in 1985. It’s mission is to advocate for and engage in prevention, identification and location efforts on behalf of missing and exploited children.
Part B looks like OJ fit that perfectly. His robbery conviction and other charges inflated the total time served.

OJ could have theoretically received a 9-1000 year sentence....but what only matters is the first number. 9. After that time, the person is obligated by the parole board to let him go if he/she has been a good person while in prison. OJ didn't take the victims to an undisclosed location...but he didn't let them leave that location, either.

i] Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. 200.330

[ii] Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. 200.320

[iii] Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. 200.340

[iv] Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. 200.357

I really can't believe some of you people think OJ should have only got a few years. That's absolutely insane for the type of crime he committed. And what does that type of low amount of time give criminals? That it's ok to rob people and kidnap them because hey, you won't do hardly any time.
Old 07-20-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post

The guy in the middle almost appears to be checking out her ass in that picture.
Old 07-20-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now we all know the reason why Johnnie Cochran wouldn't let OJ on the stand during the double murder trial. He rambled on and on so much, I thought he was going to talk his way out of getting paroled.
Old 07-20-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course the local buzz is that one guy on the parole board is from this area (city is Knob Noster, seriously) and was wearing a Chiefs tie.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.