Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Should OJ Simpson be paroled?
Yes, turn the Juice loose.
28.57%
No, keep him locked up.
71.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Old 06-24-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

re: OJ Simpson gets July 20 parole hearing date in Nevada. [UPDATE: PAROLED!]

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Cool, if he gets out of prison he can continue his search for the real killers.
He had already narrowed the list of suspects to Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus.
Old 06-24-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I rather he stay in jail.. u know because he fucking killed people.
Seven years later and the joke still works

Seth Meyers: O.J. Simpson was found guilty Friday on charges of armed robbery, assault and kidnapping -- but. really, murder.
Old 06-24-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I don't give a FLYING FUCK that O.J. had no criminal record before the 2007 incident/crime.
Wasn't there the wife beating incidents of Nicole?
Old 06-24-17, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Wasn't there the wife beating incidents of Nicole?
True - Thanks for bringing that up; I had forgotten about this. I do remember hearing about that, but IIRC O.J. never served any time for this - I think he just had to do some B.S. community service. IIRC, it was mentioned in the excellent O.J.: Made in America documentary series that came out last year.

It's also worth noting that O.J.'s previous domestic abuse against NB were taken into account when the murder trial took place - though I guess that wasn't enough for the jury. Obviously, someone who had a history of viciously beating his wife - and threatening to kill her - should have been one of the first suspects in her murder.

It's obvious that even some of O.J.'s defense lawyers believed he was guilty - but, since he had a shitload of money & since they were getting paid very well, they could obviously overlook this - LOL.

Last edited by TheDude; 06-24-17 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-24-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
I didn't vote in the poll, but the only justification to keep him in prison at this point is based on his acquittal in another case. I don't think our legal system should work like that.
Doesn't it though? I know the charges and subsequent acquittal of the double murder charges do not and can not figure in this criminal trial (though of course they did), I still think the seriousness of the charges can be a consideration in an early parole hearing. I mean it is quite literally the first thing shown in OJ Made In America : The parole judge asking OJ about any previous charges he has faced.
Old 06-26-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Doesn't it though? I know the charges and subsequent acquittal of the double murder charges do not and can not figure in this criminal trial (though of course they did), I still think the seriousness of the charges can be a consideration in an early parole hearing. I mean it is quite literally the first thing shown in OJ Made In America : The parole judge asking OJ about any previous charges he has faced.
I have no idea on how the parole process works, but I would hope that a crime that someone was found not guilty would not be held against them.
Old 06-26-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

O.J. should be in jail for the rest of his life, or worse. He murdered two innocent people in cold blood back in 1994, and there was a plethora of physical evidence that proved that he committed the crime. I don't care that he got off in a court of law. He's still guilty, everyone knows he's guilty, and it's one of the biggest jokes & travesties of justice that he got off on this.

The fact that he's in jail for an unrelated crime in 2007 is irrelevant. He should have been in jail since 1994.

I don't give a FLYING FUCK that O.J. had no criminal record before the 2007 incident/crime. ANYONE who thinks he's innocent of those two 1994 murders - despite the overwhelming evidence against him - is a FUCKING MORON!!!!!!. I've followed that case since it happened, and there was an overwhelming amount of blood/DNA & other evidence that proved O.J.'s guilt.

Rich scumbags are ALWAYS getting away with murder. Look at those P.O.S.'s in CO who got away with killing (and/or covering up) their daughter's murder back in 1996.

Agreed.
No one's disagreeing with you. At this point, I'm sure that 99.9% of people think that OJ did it (me too). I'm not sure you feel the need to fly off the handle.

But you either believe in the equal application of the rule of law or you don't.

William Blackstone, a man 10000000x smarter than you are, said that

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

Such other "fucking morons" like Ben Franklin and John Adams have said similar idioms.

OJ should not be punished for murder - a case in which a jury of his peer acquitted him - in sentencing for robbery. Especially when considered with the slap on the wrist his confederates got. It is offensive to our entire system of jurisprudence.

Sounds like you believe more in Biblical Justice more than constitutional liberty. Too bad for you that the switch doesn't flip just because you don't like the person on the other side. You should be happy it doesn't work like that or we'd all be fucked.
Old 06-26-17, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
No one's disagreeing with you. At this point, I'm sure that 99.9% of people think that OJ did it (me too). I'm not sure you feel the need to fly off the handle.

But you either believe in the equal application of the rule of law or you don't.

William Blackstone, a man 10000000x smarter than you are, said that

"It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer"

Such other "fucking morons" like Ben Franklin and John Adams have said similar idioms.

OJ should not be punished for murder - a case in which a jury of his peer acquitted him - in sentencing for robbery. Especially when considered with the slap on the wrist his confederates got. It is offensive to our entire system of jurisprudence.

Sounds like you believe more in Biblical Justice more than constitutional liberty. Too bad for you that the switch doesn't flip just because you don't like the person on the other side. You should be happy it doesn't work like that or we'd all be fucked.
You're obviously either intentionally or ignorantly mis-reading/misunderstanding my post. I could fucking care less about O.J.'s conviction in 2007 for the Las Vegas crime - that's completely irrelevant. That being said, I'm surprised he wasn't able to buy his way out of that one too.

My point was, he should have been in jail since 1994 for the double-murder he obviously committed. The fact that he off is a travesty. I understand that the prosecution team made plenty of missteps here (putting MF on the stand; asking OJ to try on the glove when they weren't sure whether or not it would fit, etc.). However, he was obviously still guilty. The fact that he walked was ridiculous.

I also stated that it's painfully obvious that our criminal justice system is biased towards those who have money, and biased against those who don't. If O.J. had been poor & under the exact same circumstances, he would have been in jail forever - or gotten the death penalty.

Hell, Scott Peterson is on death row for killing his wife & unborn child in CA. And, yes, he may be guilty of the crime too, but there was a lot less evidence against him than there was against O.J.; however, SP didn't have the $ to hire expensive lawyers that O.J. did.

And, how about the M. Morton case in TX? This man was innocent of killing his wife back in the '80's, and it was even proven that he was at work when the crime occurred. Yet, he was still convicted for the crime & went to jail for years, before he was finally freed by DNA evidence. Obviously, he didn't have the $ to hire a fancy defense lawyer:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08...es-across-tex/

Conversely, there a plethora of examples of those like O.J., i.e. wealthy people who killed others and got off scot-free. Do a google search & you'll be able to find plenty of other examples.

Last edited by TheDude; 06-26-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're obviously either intentionally or ignorantly mis-reading/misunderstanding my post. I could fucking care less about O.J.'s conviction in 2007 for the Las Vegas crime - that's completely irrelevant. I'm surprised he wasn't able to buy his way out of that one too.

My point was, he should have been in jail since 1994 for the double-murder he obviously committed. The fact that he got off is a travesty. I understand that the prosecution team made plenty of missteps here (putting MF on the stand; asking OJ to try on the glove when they weren't sure whether or not it would fit, etc.). However, he was obviously still guilty. The fact that he walked was ridiculous.

I also stated that it's painfully obvious that our criminal justice system is biased towards those who have money, and biased against those who don't. If O.J. had been poor & under the exact same circumstances, he would have been in jail forever - or gotten the death penalty.

Hell, Scott Peterson is on death row for killing his wife & unborn child in CA. And, yes, he may be guilty of the crime too, but there was a lot less evidence against him than there was against O.J.; however, SP didn't have the $ to hire expensive lawyers that O.J. did.

And, how about the M. Morton case in TX? This man was innocent of killing his wife back in the '80's, and it was even proven that he was at work when the crime occurred. Yet, he was still convicted for the crime & went to jail for years, before he was finally freed by DNA evidence. Obviously, he didn't have the $ to hire a fancy defense lawyer:

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/08...es-across-tex/

Conversely, there a plethora of examples of those like O.J., i.e. wealthy people who killed others and got off scot-free. Do a google search & you'll be able to find plenty of other examples.
OK, so you have no fucking point at all but to complaint about how rich people get off criminal charges. Keep looking for that rug that ties the room together baby.
Old 06-26-17, 08:33 PM

OK, so you have no fucking point at all but to complaint about how rich people get off criminal charges. Keep looking for that rug that ties the room together baby.
My point is directly related to the fact that O.J. is wealthy & got off on the 1994 double-murder because he was able to hire expensive lawyers. If that hadn't happened, this thread wouldn't exist.

Obviously this "point" went completely over your head. The concept of wealthy people getting off on criminal charges isn't too difficult to understand.

Last edited by TheDude; 06-26-17 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-27-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

What's the point in sentencing someone from 9-33 years if there's an expectation that they'll get out in the 9? Why not sentence them to just 9 years or from 9 to a gazillion years.. since it doesn't apparently matter. And I'm not sure why someone would get let out at the very first opportunity especially someone who has a criminal past. I know people to like laugh off the spousal abuse charges (to which he plead no contest) but I personally think those are pretty serious. It shows a violent personality. Aren't violent people who we want in jail? I mean not even adding into any of this that he killed 2 people and everyone knows it.

But there's a formula to all of this.. and I guess with overcrowding and all that it's a pretty easy formula to work out in your favor.
Old 06-27-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Early parole is always the carrot they dangle for prisoners to behave. I'm sure past behavior is brought up during someone's parole hearing.
Old 06-27-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't the point of that type of sentence to elicit good behaviour and cooperation while the criminal is incarcerated?

And who's to say he is getting out? It's a parole 'hearing' to determine whether he should be let out.

Like it or not, he was sentenced to a particular term, which is what determines when he is eligible. You could argue that it should've been a longer sentence, but it doesn't make sense to argue that he shouldn't be paroled if he meets all the requirements for parole.
Old 06-27-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Isn't the point of that type of sentence to elicit good behaviour and cooperation while the criminal is incarcerated?

And who's to say he is getting out? It's a parole 'hearing' to determine whether he should be let out.

Like it or not, he was sentenced to a particular term, which is what determines when he is eligible. You could argue that it should've been a longer sentence, but it doesn't make sense to argue that he shouldn't be paroled if he meets all the requirements for parole.
He's getting out. His age, health, and good behavior in prison all "warrant" it (at least under the standards it is judged).
Old 06-27-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's getting out. His age, health, and good behavior in prison all "warrant" it (at least under the standards it is judged).
He very well may. I'm just making the point that when someone is given that type of sentence, they're not guaranteed to get out when the minimum term of their sentence has been served.
Old 06-27-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

OJ created Facebook, which is reason enough to keep him locked up for a million years!
Old 06-27-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

The OJ trial comes down to one thing. Private vs. public sector lawyers. The DA office even in big cities like Los Angeles can't hire a staff that can win a conviction against top dollar private defense atourneys. It's like putting Google employees and DMV personnel against each other on Jeopardy!

Same thing with Michael Jackson in Santa Barbera. They didn't stand a chance.
Old 07-01-17, 11:43 AM

Interesting to hear that some out there feel someone who murdered two people in cold blood has the right to be out there walking around free. Again, I don't give a flying fuck about the 2007 case; my point has always been that he should have been in jail since 1994 - for the two murders he obviously committed.

People also seem to forget that it was proven - in a court of law - that he was "liable" for the murders in the civil trial that the Goldman family brought against him in the late '90's. Granted, this was a civil trial & he couldn't be put in jail for this, but the bottom line was that it was proven that he did kill these two people. Even if there had been no civil trial, it was still obvious he committed the crime.

If one of your loved ones had been murdered in cold blood, I'm sure you would want to see the killer incarcerated for the rest of their lives, or worse. If you deny this, you're a fucking liar, a sorry piece of shit, and a pathetic excuse for a human being.

Last edited by TheDude; 07-01-17 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-01-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You mad, bro?
Old 07-01-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting to hear that some people out there think someone who murdered two people in cold blood has the right to be out there walking around. Again, I don't give a flying fuck about the 2007 case; my point has always been that he should have been in jail since 1994 - for the two murders he obviously committed.

People also seem to forget that it was proven - in a court of law - that he was "liable" for the murders in the civil trial that the Goldman family brought against him in the late '90's. Granted, this was a civil trial & he couldn't be put in jail for this, but the bottom line was that it was proven that he did kill these two people. Even if there had been no civil trial, it was still obvious he committed the crime.

If one of your loved ones had been murdered in cold blood, I'm sure you would want to see the killer incarcerated for the rest of their lives, or worse. If you deny this, you're a fucking liar and a sorry piece of shit.
He beat the rap. That's the way our justice system works. If a person is found not guilty and is set free, the state can't convict him for another crime and punish him with what he "should have gotten" from the first trial.

I feel bad for the families of the victims. A workplace friend of Mrs Danger was murdered, and the murder of even such a casual a relation bothered her for years and years. I can't imagine what the murder of a family member must feel.

But balanced against that, I don't want to live in a country where all it takes to imprison someone for life is for the police to believe that he's a murderer. That's how it works in a police state. I want to have the protection of a jury system, even if they sometimes wrongly release a guilty person.
Old 07-01-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a damned shame that our legal system chooses to punish people for the crimes of which they were convicted instead of the more serious charges that they were acquitted of.
Old 07-01-17, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
But balanced against that, I don't want to live in a country where all it takes to imprison someone for life is for the police to believe that he's a murderer. That's how it works in a police state. I want to have the protection of a jury system, even if they sometimes wrongly release a guilty person.
Well, we certainly do live in a country where all it takes to convict is for people to believe the accused is guilty.

Unfortunately, you don't need police, or a police state, to convict somebody of a crime they didn't commit. You need overwhelming exposure and misinformation of the incident.

True, we will always have cases where police have acted with prejudice. I won't deny this.

However, with social media and a desperate sensationalized news industry, finding a jury member who might not have believed the outright lies a news reporting outlet flashes on their screens 24 hours a day...is being reduced, day by day.

Somebody commits an act, the whole world knows in an instant, creating a preconceived notion in their minds, before they have even looked at any evidence.

We don't need a police state to put people in prison for crimes they haven't committed. We are already there. And if you are unfortunately on the shit-end of a political statement and/or agenda, good luck.
Old 07-01-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Well, we certainly do live in a country where all it takes to convict is for people to believe the accused is guilty.

Unfortunately, you don't need police, or a police state, to convict somebody of a crime they didn't commit. You need overwhelming exposure and misinformation of the incident.

True, we will always have cases where police have acted with prejudice. I won't deny this.

However, with social media and a desperate sensationalized news industry, finding a jury member who might not have believed the outright lies a news reporting outlet flashes on their screens 24 hours a day...is being reduced, day by day.

Somebody commits an act, the whole world knows in an instant, creating a preconceived notion in their minds, before they have even looked at any evidence.

We don't need a police state to put people in prison for crimes they haven't committed. We are already there. And if you are unfortunately on the shit-end of a political statement and/or agenda, good luck.
I'll concede all that. Fatty Arbuckle and Patty Hearst were tried in the media. Prisons contain men who were put away primarily because some D.A. wanted to look tough on crime. The proportion of Blacks in the prison system is disturbing.

But giving people harsher sentences because they were found innocent the last time isn't going to address those problems.
Old 07-01-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, that happens all the time. Here's an example of some guy who made all sorts of unsubstantiated inferences and assumptions after a drunk female Neurology Resident tried to kick an Uber driver last year in a single isolated incident that resulted in no charges being brought :

This was her only public incident, but I suspect she's been acting this way many other times, and just was lucky enough to not have somebody film her episodes. I simply cannot believe this was a one-timer. And I wouldn't be surprised if her peers begin to comment on her behavior. I could be wrong, but you just don't wake up one day as a narcissistic, ego-maniac, who has a drug problem. And I suspect she has issues that go well beyond typical alcohol abuse.
Old 07-02-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Oh yeah, that happens all the time. Here's an example of some guy who made all sorts of unsubstantiated inferences and assumptions after a drunk female Neurology Resident tried to kick an Uber driver last year in a single isolated incident that resulted in no charges being brought :
This was her only public incident, but I suspect she's been acting this way many other times, and just was lucky enough to not have somebody film her episodes. I simply cannot believe this was a one-timer. And I wouldn't be surprised if her peers begin to comment on her behavior. I could be wrong, but you just don't wake up one day as a narcissistic, ego-maniac, who has a drug problem. And I suspect she has issues that go well beyond typical alcohol abuse.
And I stand by what I said. That woman does not belong in the medical profession and has behavioral issues that need to be addressed.

Many people agreed.

Even the hospital she worked at.

If you have a problem with that, then continue your torch-bearing love for this woman and start a website or something, dedicated to drunk and violent people who are medical students, who secretly have a benefit to society.

Your example is misplaced.

Why?

Dr. Anjali Ramkissoon was on camera, committing the crime. She was not accused of something she did not do. So, your example here is innocuous to this discussion. Whatever happened on social media was a result of her actions. These actions were not made up. There were witnesses. There was evidence.

To try and deflect from that, and somehow say that my post back then is an example of convicting a person in the public eye, is a bit of a stretch. I could understand if an accusation was made...and no evidence at all was presented and I was claiming her drunken behavior was true and her license should be revoked.

However, we all know this is not the case. And to simply call me out for stating this woman has serious behavioral issues, is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? A persons acts speak rather loudly about them. Maybe you think OJ is not guilty and is a comedian genius, but I don't believe that considering the evidence, and are you going to attack me on making assumptions about OJ as well?

I think your correlation is misplaced here. Find an example where I adamantly claim somebody committed a crime and there was no evidence, and you might have a better leg to stand on.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-02-17 at 01:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.